PDA

View Full Version : Has Eric Bledsoe Looked Like A Starter To You?

Clippersfan86
11-05-2013, 11:42 PM
First 4 games as a starter this year, vs pretty solid competition.

3-1 record.

25 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals.

26 points, 7 rebounds, 14 assists, 3 steals.

18 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals.

22 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals.

Efficiency and turnovers struggling like expected as a new starter in an extremely uptempo system. But I think he's more than proving he's a starting caliber PG in this league and has a chance to be one of the best PG's. If this guy becomes a star you guys will remember who called it first :p. These are basically healthy Russell Westbrook type numbers but with a couple extra turnovers a game. Still early but impressive nonetheless.

WARRIORS@GR
11-06-2013, 12:00 AM
Who said he wouldn't survive?And based on what?It was preety obvious he was starter's material.

Clippersfan86
11-06-2013, 12:03 AM
Who said he wouldn't survive?And based on what?It was preety obvious he was starter's material.

Most people around here said things like "it's easy to thrive when you can go all out 15 minutes a night" etc. Didn't think he could carry it out to starter minutes. Also thought he couldn't "run a team". Luckily he's playing next to another PG so it's been good but he's been ahead of expectations so far.

WARRIORS@GR
11-06-2013, 12:10 AM
Most people around here said things like "it's easy to thrive when you can go all out 15 minutes a night" etc. Didn't think he could carry it out to starter minutes. Also thought he couldn't "run a team". Luckily he's playing next to another PG so it's been good but he's been ahead of expectations so far.The impact he had(and still has) in the game was undeniable.I'd agree with the 'cannnot run an offense' argument,but it's very early to say that.Sure he will never be Cp3 or Rondo,but a bit more 'defense-based' Westbrook is very possible.

Clippersfan86
11-06-2013, 12:20 AM
The impact he had(and still has) in the game was undeniable.I'd agree with the 'cannnot run an offense' argument,but it's very early to say that.Sure he will never be Cp3 or Rondo,but a bit more 'defense-based' Westbrook is very possible.

Very true. I agree man. Will never be a floor general but as a stat stuffing PG in the Westbrook mold... he will be very good if he can keep turnovers closer to like 3 a game tops.

Bishnoff
11-06-2013, 12:28 AM
He's playing well. Hopefully he can keep it up when Dragic returns.

ThaDubs
11-06-2013, 12:41 AM
Looked more like a star to me. Needs to cut down on the turnovers. Magnificent shooting tonight, 10-12 iirc.

Clippersfan86
11-06-2013, 12:43 AM
Looked more like a star to me. Needs to cut down on the turnovers. Magnificent shooting tonight, 10-12 iirc.

I've been laughed at here on PSD for two years pretty much for saying he had all star potential. Two seasons ago I made a thread that Bledsoe>Avery Bradley and got clowned. I'm enjoying the last laugh right now... hope it continues. I agree turnovers are what will separate him from a mere borderline all star caliber type to a legit star.

sunsfan88
11-06-2013, 01:20 AM
He's definitely looking good. However, I think he needs a 2 guard that can take pressure off him and help with the playmaking.

Dragic is the perfect guy for that. Dragic/Bledsoe backcourt has been outstanding this year.

Also please give credit to a Hornacek. Bledsoe looked like crap in pre season but Hornacek has been working with him a lot to improve his game.

*Superman*
11-06-2013, 01:36 AM
He's definitely looking good. However, I think he needs a 2 guard that can take pressure off him and help with the playmaking.

Dragic is the perfect guy for that. Dragic/Bledsoe backcourt has been outstanding this year.

Also please give credit to a Hornacek. Bledsoe looked like crap in pre season but Hornacek has been working with him a lot to improve his game.

Do you know why the Suns didn't give him a contract extension? Just curious. And does that make him a restricted FA this summer?

NoahH
11-06-2013, 01:41 AM
I knew he was gonna breakout and i tried to nab him in fantasy basketball. He has the chance to be an all-star

Clippersfan86
11-06-2013, 01:51 AM
Do you know why the Suns didn't give him a contract extension? Just curious. And does that make him a restricted FA this summer?

I know you didn't ask me but the answer is easy. They wanted the league to set his value so they don't overpay him, makes sense. Yes he's restricted meaning the Suns can match any offer.

*Superman*
11-06-2013, 01:53 AM
I know you didn't ask me but the answer is easy. They wanted the league to set his value so they don't overpay him, makes sense. Yes he's restricted meaning the Suns can match any offer.

Still a gamble IMO. Say a team wants to pay him 12M a year, what if the Suns decide that's too rich for them? In that instance he's gone.

I only asked because someone was telling me he didn't want to stay in PHX which is why he wouldn't agree to a contract extension.

mavwar53
11-06-2013, 02:06 AM
Always thought he had star potential, still not a star yet, but damn good.

mightybosstone
11-06-2013, 02:18 AM
Again, can we please stop overreacting over a 4-5 sample size in which most teams are just getting used to the speed of NBA basketball again? It's four games out of an 82 game season. That's less than five percent. If he's consistently doing this after 20 games, we can have this conversation. 40 games? That's enough of a stretch to expect it will be consistent. 80 games? That's an All-Star caliber season.

I'll admit that I had no clue on how Bledsoe would do as a starter. I figured he'd be somewhere between a bust as a starter who eventually became a decent 6th man in the NBA and a poor man's Russell Westbrook. At this point, it's looked a lot more like the latter. But it's still so insanely early, and the guy's scoring has been all over the place. Prior to tonight's game, he was awful from the floor, but getting to the line 11 times a night. Tonight he only gets to the line four times, but he's killing it from the floor.

He needs to cut WAY down on his turnovers, take far fewer 3-point attempts and pick his battles more in shot selection. If he can do that more as the season progresses, I'll buy him as a possible star in the making. At this point, he's just a whole lot of raw talent that needs molding.

Clippersfan86
11-06-2013, 02:19 AM
Still a gamble IMO. Say a team wants to pay him 12M a year, what if the Suns decide that's too rich for them? In that instance he's gone.

I only asked because someone was telling me he didn't want to stay in PHX which is why he wouldn't agree to a contract extension.

Luckily for Phoenix the league is loaded with good PG's so only a couple teams are a threat to do this. That being said I CAN see a team like the Magic, Jazz or Mavs throwing 12-13 mill at him next summer if he continues playing like this.

Clippersfan86
11-06-2013, 02:20 AM
Again, can we please stop overreacting over a 4-5 sample size in which most teams are just getting used to the speed of NBA basketball again? It's four games out of an 82 game season. That's less than five percent. If he's consistently doing this after 20 games, we can have this conversation. 40 games? That's enough of a stretch to expect it will be consistent. 80 games? That's an All-Star caliber season.

I'll admit that I had no clue on how Bledsoe would do as a starter. I figured he'd be somewhere between a bust as a starter who eventually became a decent 6th man in the NBA and a poor man's Russell Westbrook. At this point, it's looked a lot more like the latter. But it's still so insanely early, and the guy's scoring has been all over the place. Prior to tonight's game, he was awful from the floor, but getting to the line 11 times a night. Tonight he only gets to the line four times, but he's killing it from the floor.

He needs to cut WAY down on his turnovers, take far fewer 3-point attempts and pick his battles more in shot selection. If he can do that more as the season progresses, I'll buy him as a possible star in the making. At this point, he's just a whole lot of raw talent that needs molding.

For sure man. I just think it's interesting to see how he's thrived so far, although I understand long term he needs to prove it before we label him anything.

P&GRealist
11-06-2013, 02:22 AM
He's going to be the Lakers new starting PG next season when they offer him the max.

mightybosstone
11-06-2013, 02:28 AM
One guy I'd like to bring up is Kyle Lowry, because Bledsoe reminds me of him a lot at times. As a Rockets fan, there were times when Lowry looked like a superstar ready to break out. There was one season where he started off top 10 in a ton of statistical categories and looked well on his way to being a top 5 PG and a perennial All-Star. Except he never progressed from there, his stats came down to earth, his game never evolved and that was his peak.

Bledsoe reminds me of Lowry in a lot of ways. He's a stout, tough point guard who plays like a tank on both ends of the floor and can take over in a big way when he wants to. But both guys need refinement, and that's what I need to see out Bledsoe before I take him seriously.

Clippersfan86
11-06-2013, 02:29 AM
One guy I'd like to bring up is Kyle Lowry, because Bledsoe reminds me of him a lot at times. As a Rockets fan, there were times when Lowry looked like a superstar ready to break out. There was one season where he started off top 10 in a ton of statistical categories and looked well on his way to being a top 5 PG and a perennial All-Star. Except he never progressed from there, his stats came down to earth, his game never evolved and that was his peak.

Bledsoe reminds me of Lowry in a lot of ways. He's a stout, tough point guard who plays like a tank on both ends of the floor and can take over in a big way when he wants to. But both guys need refinement, and that's what I need to see out Bledsoe before I take him seriously.

Very good observations. I've always felt Bledsoe was something of a Lowry/Westbrook cross. Like Lowry in a lot of ways but far more athletic and explosive like a Westbrook.

5ass
11-06-2013, 02:41 AM
Luckily for Phoenix the league is loaded with good PG's so only a couple teams are a threat to do this. That being said I CAN see a team like the Magic, Jazz or Mavs throwing 12-13 mill at him next summer if he continues playing like this.

I can imagine Bledsoe, Oladpio and Harkless starting together. :drool: That would be so fun to watch.

*Superman*
11-06-2013, 02:46 AM
I can imagine Bledsoe, Oladpio and Harkless starting together. :drool: That would be so fun to watch.

:nod:

Magic have already have shown interest in Bledsoe (AA for Bledsoe talks). Damn the Clippers for ****ing it all up!

5ass
11-06-2013, 03:15 AM
:nod:

Magic have already have shown interest in Bledsoe (AA for Bledsoe talks). Damn the Clippers for ****ing it all up!

We should have offered Redick+Afflalo for him.

sunsfan88
11-06-2013, 04:15 AM

This article will answer all your questions

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2013/11/2/5059960/phoenix-suns-capology-update-lots-of-recent-activity-still-adds-up-to

5ass
11-06-2013, 04:26 AM

Just remembered that we dont get harris without redick. :facepalm:

5ass
11-06-2013, 04:28 AM
But i wouldve thrown in nicholson for sure.

hotdalton18
11-06-2013, 04:32 AM
They need to trade dragic , it'll hurt his development

Pierre The Poet
11-06-2013, 05:14 AM
He's going to be the Lakers new starting PG next season when they offer him the max.

You don't know anything about the Lakers

IKnowHoops
11-06-2013, 06:57 AM

3-1 record.

Efficiency and turnovers struggling like expected as a new starter in an extremely uptempo system. But I think he's more than proving he's a starting caliber PG in this league and has a chance to be one of the best PG's. If this guy becomes a star you guys will remember who called it first :p. These are basically healthy Russell Westbrook type numbers but with a couple extra turnovers a game. 8/10 people here said he wouldn't survive as a starter. Still early but impressive nonetheless.

I don't know if I have said this on the message board, but I thought he could rival John wall ever since they played together in college. These stats don't surprise me one bit. Physically he has 3-4 athletic ability for a point guard right behind Westbrook, Rose, and Wall. He's stronger than all 3 of them too. No surprise at all by his numbers. I completely expected great numbers from the guy and would of been disappointed if he didn't break out on his own now. I even would of been willing to keep Bledsoe on the Clippers and Trade CP3 for either his value in players. I would of tried to get Harden and a pick for him.

mdm692
11-06-2013, 07:08 AM
This article will answer all your questions

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2013/11/2/5059960/phoenix-suns-capology-update-lots-of-recent-activity-still-adds-up-to

This. Suns could end up with a top 5 pick(randle, parker, wiggins, gordon, exum), 2 mid teens picks and 1 in the 20's as well as another 8 figure contract(Monroe, Hayward) and Bledsoes max extension.

Clippersfan86
11-06-2013, 12:22 PM
This. Suns could end up with a top 5 pick(randle, parker, wiggins, gordon, exum), 2 mid teens picks and 1 in the 20's as well as another 8 figure contract(Monroe, Hayward) and Bledsoes max extension.

Imagine a lineup of Dragic, Bledsoe, Parker/Wiggins, Monroe, Len for the future with Frye as a 6th man. SICK! Pistons seem like they will let Monroe walk so Phoenix should offer him a big deal.

mdm692
11-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Or if they strike out on Parker or Wiggins they can go Randle at PF and Hayward at SF.

Clippersfan86
11-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Or if they strike out on Parker or Wiggins they can go Randle at PF and Hayward at SF.

Yup, something like that too. Thing is Jazz will match, Pistons won't. Can still draft a PF though and put Monroe back to center, trade Len+assets for the SF or something. Whatever you do.. DO NOT sign Carmelo Anthony lol. Will set the long term rebuild back a long time.

2-ONE-5
11-06-2013, 12:42 PM
still dont think he can run a team or sustain this, never did but he has been impressive to start looking at the numbers. But just like the Sixers the Suns will come back down to earth.

I personally like Reggie Jackson better if/when he gets his chance.

Clippersfan86
11-06-2013, 12:43 PM
still dont think he can run a team or sustain this, never did but he has been impressive to start looking at the numbers. But just like the Sixers the Suns will come back down to earth.

I personally like Reggie Jackson better if/when he gets his chance.

People said that about Bradley too lol. Not disagreeing with your opinion on Bledsoe long term but just saying lol at the Reggie Jackson>Bledsoe idea. I've been watching Reggie the last two years and he will have a monster stat stuffing game every 10 games or so.. then completely vanish for a few.

2-ONE-5
11-06-2013, 12:49 PM

Jazz just drafted Burke, paid Favors and will probably pay Kanter and/or Heyward. Dont see them offering that kind of money for Bledsoe. Magic possibly but Oladipo might play PG for them and MAvs certainly could but PHX is prob a better place for him in the future anyway assuming they do well in the draft.

Clippersfan86
11-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Phoenix is 100 percent, no question the best fit for him. He's from Bama so he's definitely more of a shy, small town guy and also Phoenix has the best core to put around him going forward most likely with max cap+high picks. Oladipo at PG though isn't working well from what I hear so Magic would be second option. Jazz have Burks but Bledsoe>>>>> and would allow Burks to come along slowly.

Chronz
11-06-2013, 01:20 PM

Agreed, I dont recall any of this talk around here, hes always oozed potential and what hes done in the past has obviously been starter material at the very least, then you consider players tend to play better when they start and it just strikes me as odd to say he wouldn't thrive. May have problems running a team but individually, hes great.

Also helps not having 2 lane clogging bigs and absolutely no pressure to win.

Stinkyoutsider
11-06-2013, 01:26 PM
I honestly didn't think Bledsoe would do the damage he's doing right now? Thought that he would score but not be a playmaker for others...

I think he's in the perfect system right now which is helping his game. He's a world class athlete who's agressive and wants to attack. Up tempo team who's going to get plenty of opportunities in transition, where he can use his athleticism to his advantage.

I agree that it's too early to say he's a borderline all-star but if he can learn and make better decisions with the basketball, he's going to be even tougher to stop.

Sadds The Gr8
11-06-2013, 01:26 PM
didn't think he'd score this well, and he's actually running a team better than I thought he would. definitely impressing me but yea it's still really early

Clippersfan86
11-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Yea I definitely think in a slow system, where he was the only ballhandler he would get exposed more than he is now... but Clippers fans have known that all along. He's not as deadly in the halfcourt or as the guy handling the ball 100 percent of the time. Still... system player or not, love what I'm seeing. My only gripe is he's doing the James Harden thing where he's taken on bigger minutes/offense and is being lazy sometimes.

I saw vs the Thunder that there were a ton of loose balls he was just standing around not even pursuing... where as Bledsoe before was known for his motor on loose balls, rebounds and D.

Clippersfan86
11-06-2013, 01:45 PM
http://stats.nba.com/?ls=nbacom&PlayerOrTeam=Player&StatCategory=Clutch

Eric Bledsoe king of the clutch so far this year. When he was with us I knew he was coldblooded and didn't fear the clutch... but he never had a chance obviously to show it much.

Chronz
11-06-2013, 01:46 PM

**** yes

Clippersfan86
11-06-2013, 01:47 PM
**** yes

Instead Orlando was apparently refusing to give up Afflalo+Nicholson LOL... Now I bet they are wondering if they should have pulled the trigger. Bledsoe for Afflalo straight up would have been Orlando rape.

Chronz
11-06-2013, 01:48 PM
I saw vs the Thunder that there were a ton of loose balls he was just standing around not even pursuing... where as Bledsoe before was known for his motor on loose balls, rebounds and D.

energy role player off the bench wont have much energy for the small things when starting I guess

Chronz
11-06-2013, 01:50 PM
http://stats.nba.com/?ls=nbacom&PlayerOrTeam=Player&StatCategory=Clutch

Eric Bledsoe king of the clutch so far this year. When he was with us I knew he was coldblooded and didn't fear the clutch... but he never had a chance obviously to show it much.

lol you went from analyzing a small sample of games to an insignificant sample of minutes? I sincerely hope your not trying to correlate anything. Lets say the Suns fall off a cliff like they were projected and Bleds clutch stats fall, is he still going to be cold blooded?

I Rock Shaqs
11-06-2013, 01:52 PM

3-1 record.

Efficiency and turnovers struggling like expected as a new starter in an extremely uptempo system. But I think he's more than proving he's a starting caliber PG in this league and has a chance to be one of the best PG's. If this guy becomes a star you guys will remember who called it first :p. These are basically healthy Russell Westbrook type numbers but with a couple extra turnovers a game. Still early but impressive nonetheless.

I know in the short paragraph you say he turned it over but It would have been more appropriate to actually not just put the good stats up, but yeah he definitely looks like a beast.

Clippersfan86
11-06-2013, 01:53 PM
energy role player off the bench wont have much energy for the small things when starting I guess

Makes sense. It's really bittersweet to see him thriving in Phoenix. Mainly because I hated that we had to move him. But at the same time Redick+Dudley have been outstanding fits and we couldn't afford 10-12 mill a year for a backup PG... so I realize it pretty much had to be done. I'm very proud of Eric though and he couldn't be in a better situation for his career as others already said in this thread. Uptempo system, good young coach, no pressure to win, guard next to him who can take a lot of PG duties, bright future with assets+core.

Clippersfan86
11-06-2013, 01:54 PM
lol you went from analyzing a small sample of games to an insignificant sample of minutes? I sincerely hope your not trying to correlate anything. Lets say the Suns fall off a cliff like they were projected and Bleds clutch stats fall, is he still going to be cold blooded?

'King of the clutch' was me being playful lol. I don't think that's significant at all, just got a kick out of it because it just went up on NBA.com.

5ass
11-06-2013, 01:59 PM
**** yes

i wasnt thinking clearly. Without redick we dont get harris. Bledsoe is not worth harris and afflalo

Chronz
11-06-2013, 02:01 PM
i wasnt thinking clearly. Without redick we dont get harris. Bledsoe is not worth harris and afflalo
Not a fan of Harris. Dont take Afflalo is much of an asset for you guys. Ur loss

5ass
11-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Instead Orlando was apparently refusing to give up Afflalo+Nicholson LOL... Now I bet they are wondering if they should have pulled the trigger. Bledsoe for Afflalo straight up would have been Orlando rape.

The magic forum was all for that trade. Im not sure why we still have afflalo.

Clippersfan86
11-06-2013, 02:05 PM
The magic forum was all for that trade. Im not sure why we still have afflalo.

Hennigan thought he would wait us out and that we would give Bledsoe for Afflalo WITHOUT another piece like Nicholson or Harkless or something. Clippers won because we got way more than just Afflalo and Redick+Dudley are probably better fits than him for a motion offense with a lot of shooting off screens. Although I'd love Redick+Afflalo too, I knew it wasn't happening like you said because of Harris trade.

5ass
11-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Ill give henny a pass on that, hes done us far more good than harm. Hes allowed a few minor mistakes.

*Superman*
11-06-2013, 02:15 PM

To his credit, Nicholson has been playing pretty great also. 14/7 on 55% FG, 36% from the 3. Keep in mind that he just added the 3 point part of this game this off-season. But yeah, if that deal was on the table and Clippers were willing to accept we should have taken it.

Clippersfan86
11-06-2013, 02:22 PM
To his credit, Nicholson has been playing pretty great also. 14/7 on 55% FG, 36% from the 3. Keep in mind that he just added the 3 point part of this game this off-season. But yeah, if that deal was on the table and Clippers were willing to accept we should have taken it.

Never know with reports about these trade rumors how accurate they are. But according to "sources" the Clippers wanted Afflalo+Nicholson but Henny was only willing to part with one asset, not both. No doubt I'd love to have Nicholson right now and he had value as a stretch 4 for us BUT Bledsoe for Afflalo straight up would have been pretty bad.

Redick is putting up 17/3/3 or something like that on great efficiency+good defense so far, not sure Afflalo could have replicated that considering just how well Redick fits next to CP3. That was with him missing training camp+preseason with injury too.. I think he will have a career year next to CP3. Dudley is putting up 10 ppg himself and has done a lot of the little things. Although he needs to rebound WAY more than he's doing (2 rpg so far).

*Superman*
11-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Never know with reports about these trade rumors how accurate they are. But according to "sources" the Clippers wanted Afflalo+Nicholson but Henny was only willing to part with one asset, not both. No doubt I'd love to have Nicholson right now and he had value as a stretch 4 for us BUT Bledsoe for Afflalo straight up would have been pretty bad.

Redick is putting up 17/3/3 or something like that on great efficiency+good defense so far, not sure Afflalo could have replicated that considering just how well Redick fits next to CP3. That was with him missing training camp+preseason with injury too.. I think he will have a career year next to CP3. Dudley is putting up 10 ppg himself and has done a lot of the little things. Although he needs to rebound WAY more than he's doing (2 rpg so far).

Yeah you guys got a great trade, no doubt about it. I was just looking at is from the Magic's perspective.

This is exactly what JJ needed, a great passing PG that will find him when he's open. Both players are really going to benefit going forward.

Clippersfan86
11-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Yeah you guys got a great trade, no doubt about it. I was just looking at is from the Magic's perspective.

This is exactly what JJ needed, a great passing PG that will find him when he's open. Both players are really going to benefit going forward.

Yea CP3+Redick chemistry wise may end up being the best backcourt pairing in the league, or at least one of them. I too understand the Magic's reluctance to part with multiple assets. As you said in general Henny has been A+ and I think if the Magic make a playoff push this year he should win EOTY.

*Superman*
11-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Yea CP3+Redick chemistry wise may end up being the best backcourt pairing in the league, or at least one of them. I too understand the Magic's reluctance to part with multiple assets. As you said in general Henny has been A+ and I think if the Magic make a playoff push this year he should win EOTY.

I think every Magic fan is rooting for us to get a top 5 pick in the draft, so I really don't hope we are that close to the playoffs. :laugh2:

But they've shown a good level of competition so far. Beat the Nets, Pelicans, OT with Wolves (forced by a KLove tripple), and 3 solid quarters against the Pacers.

king4day
11-06-2013, 05:03 PM

Rumor also was he wanted a max extension.

Clippersfan86
11-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Rumor also was he wanted a max extension.

If he maintains even 18/5/5/2 with elite D... he's worth the first timer max that all these guys like Favors are getting for sure.

cambellronald7
11-07-2013, 01:57 AM
As a backup to Chris Paul last season, Bledsoe averaged a career-high 8.5 points to go along with 3.1 assists, 3.0 rebounds and 1.43 steals in 20.4 minutes.
When given the chance to start when Paul got hurt, Bledsoe, in 12 games, responded with 14.2 points, 5.3 assists, 4.8 rebounds and 2.5 steals in 34.2 minutes.So with such a game he could be a good starter and he is ready to be a starter.

sunsfan88
11-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Averaging 20 pts, 8 assists and 5 rebounds on 50% shooting. Along with a 25 PER.