PDA

View Full Version : Flashback 09 Draft: Blake, Harden or Curry?

Hulk6
11-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Looking back to the 2009 NBA draft and seeing how each player has progressed; Who would you select with the 1st overrall pick?

Guppyfighter
11-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Well,

Harden>Curry>Blake

Clippersfan86
11-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Dupe.

Clippersfan86
11-05-2013, 08:37 PM
1. Curry
2. Harden
3. Griffin

At this very moment. Although I still think Blake has the most upside considering he's nowhere near as refined as these two high skill players. I envision a prime Blake putting up something like 25 ppg, 11 rpg, 5 apg, 1.5 spg on elite efficiency and much better defense. I don't believe guards can touch the all around impact of a superstar big man.

We'll see what happens over the next 2 or 3 years. But given the upside factor and Blake being a big man I'd still select him first.

lol, please
11-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Looking back to the 2009 NBA draft and seeing how each player has progressed; Who would you selected with the 1st overrall pick?questions like this are both meaningless and borderline immature. Hindsight is 20/20 and thus always renders hypotheticals like this obsolete.

Max.This
11-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Pure talent Curry> Harden> Griffin, factor in injury... Harden>Curry>Griffin

More-Than-Most
11-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Give me blake.

TrueFan420
11-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Went curry... Yes there is injury concern but I think he will be fine. Harden is better considered better but his game won't age as well and seeing as his game is built on attacking the basket he is bound to pick up an injury or two. Blake is just way too raw still. Haven't seen enough improvement in his areas of weakness either.

Turn Up
11-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Ill take the 20/10 big who can pass first, then harden and curry after

Hellcrooner
11-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Deppends on what you need.

If you need a big you go Griffin.

If you need a volumen scorer you go Harden.

If you need a point guard and your team lacks some scoring you go Curry

If you need a point guard but you already have good scorers in other position you go Rubio.

Bishnoff
11-05-2013, 09:05 PM
Harden, with Curry a close second.

slaker619
11-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Harden proved he can be star, but idkk bout being a leader......

More-Than-Most
11-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Harden is becoming the most overrated player in the league. Very very good but give the guy time to prove he can do it over a big span

Clippersfan86
11-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Harden is becoming the most overrated player in the league. Very very good but give the guy time to prove he can do it over a big span

Or give him time to learn what the word defense means even to a small degree.

Mr.SmackYoMama
11-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Curry!!!!!!!!!!!

Hulk6
11-05-2013, 09:32 PM
questions like this are both meaningless and borderline immature. Hindsight is 20/20 and thus always renders hypotheticals like this obsolete.

I see you learned some new words today, congratulations.

*Superman*
11-05-2013, 09:37 PM
questions like this are both meaningless and borderline immature. Hindsight is 20/20 and thus always renders hypotheticals like this obsolete.

Still, you felt the need to respond. Cool.

It's actually a good question to debate, considering you can choose from a PG, SG, PF. I agree with another poster that I'd see what position my team needed. If you aren't considering that, I'd take Curry, then Harden, then Blake.

JerseyPalahniuk
11-06-2013, 12:23 AM
1. Curry
2. Harden
3. Griffin

At this very moment. Although I still think Blake has the most upside considering he's nowhere near as refined as these two high skill players. I envision a prime Blake putting up something like 25 ppg, 11 rpg, 5 apg, 1.5 spg on elite efficiency and much better defense. I don't believe guards can touch the all around impact of a superstar big man.

We'll see what happens over the next 2 or 3 years. But given the upside factor and Blake being a big man I'd still select him first.

I don't get this post. You list Griffin last than give only reasons for him and his upside and then even say you'd still pick him first.

Clippersfan86
11-06-2013, 12:28 AM
I don't get this post. You list Griffin last than give only reasons for him and his upside and then even say you'd still pick him first.

Shouldn't be confusing, I just elaborated too much. I was explaining that I'd take Griffin, although of the 3 he's the least productive at this very moment. Based on upside and the big man angle.

WARRIORS@GR
11-06-2013, 12:34 AM
Deppends on what you need.

If you need a big you go Griffin.

If you need a volumen scorer you go Harden.

If you need a point guard and your team lacks some scoring you go Curry

If you need a point guard but you already have good scorers in other position you go Rubio.Based on their performance so far,the guy who takes Rubio over Curry no matter what you need has to be dumb.
Curry has proven he can pass at an elite level too.Not like Rubio,but he is still very good.Being the best shooter in the league doesn't mean he doesn't pass.
Taking the guy who can't make a layup and a wide ****ing open mid range jumper,is not so smart.

I agree on the 3 first points though,depends on what you need.

Clippersfan86
11-06-2013, 12:37 AM
Based on their performance so far,the guy who takes Rubio over Curry no matter what you need has to be dumb.
Curry has proven he can pass at an elite level too.Not like Rubio,but he is still very good.Being the best shooter in the league doesn't mean he doesn't pass.
Taking the guy who can't make a layup and a wide ****ing open mid range jumper,is not so smart.

Lol on taking Rubio over Curry. Don't get me wrong Rubio is a beast and my 3rd favorite PG probably but Curry is a legit MVP threat in the coming years. He scares the piss out of me (I'm sure of all non Warriors fans). It's like you know he's going to murder you and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. I saw him in person hit 3 threes right over DeAndre Jordan's hands from like 28 feet and out. It's unfair.

DreamShaker
11-06-2013, 12:42 AM
Or give him time to learn what the word defense means even to a small degree.

He can play D, he's just lazy. That's my one thing about Harden, he can sleep walk through some plays.

Clippersfan86
11-06-2013, 12:44 AM
He can play D, he's just lazy. That's my one thing about Harden, he can sleep walk through some plays.

We agree there. It's pretty much entirely effort/focus... which is most frustrating of all.

Hellcrooner
11-06-2013, 12:46 AM
Based on their performance so far,the guy who takes Rubio over Curry no matter what you need has to be dumb.

Shooting: Curry
Scoring: Curry
Speed: Curry
Strenght: none are the hulk
Court visión: Rubio
Passing: Rubio
Leadership: Rubio
Defense: Rubio
Setting up team mates: Rubio

if both come to their potential the question is I Thomas vs Jasn Kidd.

who do you take?

i take the second but i wont argue with one taking thomas.

WARRIORS@GR
11-06-2013, 12:49 AM
Shooting: Curry
Scoring: Curry
Speed: Curry
Strenght: none are the hulk
Court visión: Rubio
Passing: Rubio
Leadership: Rubio
Defense: Rubio
Setting up team mates: Rubio

if both come to their potential the question is I Thomas vs Jasn Kidd.

who do you take?

i take the second but i wont argue with one taking thomas.
Leadership goes to Rubio?Omg man you are seriously biased.Where did he show that leadership?

Isiah Thomas?:laugh::laugh::laugh:
You probably don't know who Isiah Thomas was or his playing style.Go check it up and then come back to argue.

Deception
11-06-2013, 12:52 AM
Injury not put into effect, Curry is my pick, if it is in effect, Harden.

DreamShaker
11-06-2013, 12:52 AM

Crooner is by no means dumb. He's just from Spain. Gotta defend his dude. But I get his point. Passing and D are Rubio's strengths. On the right team, he could be the most ideal fit. But then again, talent trumps fit to me. Look at Miami.

Hellcrooner
11-06-2013, 01:00 AM
Leadership goes to Rubio?Omg man you are seriously biased.Where did he show that leadership?

Isiah Thomas?:laugh::laugh::laugh:
You probably don't know who Isiah Thomas was or his playing style.Go check it up and then come back to argue.

nah i barely know, i only saw him play during the whole second of half his career :rolleyes:.

bigmac8675
11-06-2013, 01:04 AM
Its a close call between Curry and Harden... but my homerism leads me to answer with Curry.

WARRIORS@GR
11-06-2013, 01:04 AM
nah i barely know, i only saw him play during the whole second of half his career :rolleyes:.Man,no disrespect,but you are really wrong.Thomas numbers never touched Curry's offensively.Not to mention Curry is so young and can be even better.That was one of the worst comparisons I've ever seen.

Hellcrooner
11-06-2013, 01:14 AM
Man,no disrespect,but you are really wrong.Thomas numbers never touched Curry's offensively.Not to mention Curry is so young and can be even better.That was one of the worst comparisons I've ever seen.

in any case.
Jsut a current example.

Imagine both were Free agents.

If im the Knicks or the lakers or the rockets id go with curry
if im the Heat or the thunder id go with Rubio

WARRIORS@GR
11-06-2013, 01:17 AM
in any case.
Jsut a current example.

Sorry,but no.The talent gap between them is so huge right now to choose Rubio over Curry.

Hellcrooner
11-06-2013, 01:20 AM
Sorry,but no.The talent gap between them is so huge right now to choose Rubio over Curry.

you are only considering one side of the talent ( offensive).

and are not considering team needs.

heat for example dont need more firepower but a savy disributor that is also a good defender.

thats the difference from the defetead usa team from earl 00s to the winning usa teams of late 00s.

The first coaches tried to get the best 12 players they could get while koach K picks the best PIECES to make it work.

Alayla
11-06-2013, 01:20 AM
Same thing i said at the time Curry is the gem

TrueFan420
11-06-2013, 01:22 AM
Crooner is by no means dumb. He's just from Spain. Gotta defend his dude. But I get his point. Passing and D are Rubio's strengths. On the right team, he could be the most ideal fit. But then again, talent trumps fit to me. Look at Miami.

He does know his stuff but is also extremely bias. Leadership is debatable obviously but im taking curry. He lead his team to a deep playoff run. Also while im a warriors fan and have my own bias I've heard multiple players gush about how well the team gets along off the court and that curry is a part of that.

On D Rubio is better. However, curry has improved his man d and is always good for a steal or two.

Passing/setting up teammates... Rubio might have an edge but curry isn't a slouch. And the difference in Rubio passing to currys passing doesn't come close to the difference between them offensively.

Hellcrooner
11-06-2013, 01:23 AM
btw overall id go for harden for one simple reason.

HEALTH.

Griffin, curry ( and rubio) all of them have question marks bout their health and have missed good chunks of time being Young, that ,cant be good on the long run.

UPRock
11-06-2013, 01:23 AM
Flynn or Thabeet, for sure.

TrueFan420
11-06-2013, 01:25 AM
in any case.
Jsut a current example.

Thunder maybe cause KD but I think curry would be better there but Rubio would be useless off the ball with lebron and curry would ideal plus he can pass too.

WARRIORS@GR
11-06-2013, 01:25 AM

heat for example dont need more firepower but a savy disributor that is also a good defender.

thats the difference from the defetead usa team from earl 00s to the winning usa teams of late 00s.

The first coaches tried to get the best 12 players they could get while koach K picks the best PIECES to make it work.

That's a wrong example.I would agree if you argued about a top 7-8 PG who is a better fit than Curry.
But Rubio is not even close to Curry right now.
If you are talking same contracts in free agency,I am sure every GM in the game would pick Curry.

WARRIORS@GR
11-06-2013, 01:29 AM
He does know his stuff but is also extremely bias. Leadership is debatable obviously but im taking curry. He lead his team to a deep playoff run. Also while im a warriors fan and have my own bias I've heard multiple players gush about how well the team gets along off the court and that curry is a part of that.

On D Rubio is better. However, curry has improved his man d and is always good for a steal or two.

Passing/setting up teammates... Rubio might have an edge but curry isn't a slouch. And the difference in Rubio passing to currys passing doesn't come close to the difference between them offensively.
This.I love Rubio,but come on.The guy cannot hit a wide open 15 footer and misses a ton of layups.Rondo looks like MJ compared to him right now.

SugeKnight
11-06-2013, 01:42 AM

Ask heat fans who they rather have, Curry or Rubio, and I guarantee that they will say Curry

NoahH
11-06-2013, 01:42 AM
No way i take Blake..

Curry!

Monta is beast
11-07-2013, 08:44 AM
Curry. Best offensive player in the group, his game will age the best, and he's on an elite defensive team right now, so his defense isn't what people think it is.

Monta is beast
11-07-2013, 08:48 AM
I don't see how curtsy game will be any different now than when he's 35. What he's going to do in his prime will be better than what Paul did IMO. In his prime 28-32 I expect him to average 26-9-4 with his effeciency and the weapons we have that's scary. Don't see many team ****in with the Warriors in 2 years...really dont

Monta is beast
11-07-2013, 08:49 AM
On top of that I think we have a very good chance at getting KD when he leaves OKC

ATX
11-07-2013, 09:00 AM
The no defense re draft...I'd go with Steph Curry

pebloemer
11-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Pure talent Curry> Harden> Griffin, factor in injury... Harden>Curry>Griffin

This. I'd take Curry if I wasn't so concerned about his injury history.

NYKnickFanatic
11-07-2013, 09:23 AM
That man out of Davidson.

Miltstar
11-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Id still take Blake, most exciting player in the league. Although Curry is pretty exciting too! Its a tough dont think you go wrong with any of them

MygirlhatesCod
11-07-2013, 09:41 AM

where do you think you are?

Curry/harden/blake
curry and harden have more room for improvement imo. so that could change. blake seems like he will stay on the same level he is right now without much more improvement to his game.

blahblahyoutoo
11-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Shouldn't be confusing, I just elaborated too much. I was explaining that I'd take Griffin, although of the 3 he's the least productive at this very moment. Based on upside and the big man angle.

there is no "upside" or growth potential for BG. what you see is what you get.
he hasn't shown much improvement in his game over the years. still poor footwork, poor post moves, bad FT shooter and a slightly improved jump shot.

he is shawn kemp 2.0. take away cp3, and he is kmart without jkidd.

Byronicle
11-07-2013, 01:29 PM
1. Curry
2. Harden
3. Griffin

Lol?

He's not going even going to touch that. Not even close

jstone0716
11-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Curry and it's not even close

Gibby23
11-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Harden, Blake, and Curry. I would take Curry 1st, but he is glass.

jstone0716
11-07-2013, 01:40 PM
1. Curry
2. Harden
3. Griffin

25/11/5 are you out of your damn mind? More like 18/9/3.. the dude has peaked statistically... that's not to say he won't get better but those numbers are ridiculous. Get off the dudes dick already lol.

ElChinoLatino
11-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Where is that Curry sauce?

ElChinoLatino
11-07-2013, 01:57 PM

Cool story bro.

Gibby23
11-07-2013, 02:00 PM
there is no "upside" or growth potential for BG. what you see is what you get.
he hasn't shown much improvement in his game over the years. still poor footwork, poor post moves, bad FT shooter and a slightly improved jump shot.

he is shawn kemp 2.0. take away cp3, and he is kmart without jkidd.

He put up 21 and 11 without CP3.

EL_MACHETE
11-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Harden
Griffin
Curry

I would Love to see Blake Griffin in Okc

Pg- Westbrook
Sg- Sefo
Sf- Durant
Pf- Griffin
C- Ibaka

That lineup would have been Amazing

SugeKnight
11-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Harden
Griffin
Curry

I would Love to see Blake Griffin in Okc

Pg- Westbrook
Sg- Sefo
Sf- Durant
Pf- Griffin
C- Ibaka

That lineup would have been Amazing

Westbrook - Curry - KD - Ibaka - Collison >>>>>

EL_MACHETE
11-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Westbrook - Curry - KD - Ibaka - Collison >>>>>
Yea That's a good team too..
But I would perfer Griffin over Curry.
(Big guys who can ball like him are hard to find)

BKLYNpigeon
11-07-2013, 03:35 PM
All 3 are great, but a quality PG is hard to find these days.

Curry

SugeKnight
11-07-2013, 03:51 PM
All 3 are great, but a quality PG is hard to find these days.

Curry

Naww, almost every team has a quality PG. PG is the deepest position by far. Quality bigs are much harder to find. I'll still take Curry though

BKLYNpigeon
11-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Naww, almost every team has a quality PG. PG is the deepest position by far. Quality bigs are much harder to find. I'll still take Curry though

Curry could be or close to being the Greatest Shooter of all time. he's 1 in a million.

what can you say about Blake and Harden?

Gibby23
11-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Curry could be or close to being the Greatest Shooter of all time. he's 1 in a million.

Curry is one ankle sprain away from being done for the year.

Guppyfighter
11-07-2013, 04:29 PM
Curry is one ankle sprain away from being done for the year.

Everyone on PSD is a medical expert with a strong grasp on all things medical.

Guppyfighter
11-07-2013, 04:32 PM
in any case.
Jsut a current example.

You clearly have no idea how the Heat or Thunder operate then. After the big three you either need to be a good big man or a great shooter. Rubio is neither a good big man or a great shooter.

Same with the Thunder.

Miltstar
11-07-2013, 08:52 PM

They are better all around players???

The big difference is Harden and Blake actually get to the free-throw line!!! and Blake plays pretty solid D. Curry is a fantastic shooter, but the other two are better players at this stage of their careers

The man love for Curry on this site is getting out of control!!!

VinceCarter
11-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Yeah give me Curry over Harden right now. Blake is far off in the rear view.

Clippersfan86
11-07-2013, 11:11 PM
Yeah give me Curry over Harden right now. Blake is far off in the rear view.

Stop exaggerating. Blake is 12-15, with a great chance to move up this year (so far off to a great start). Curry is bottom of top 10, Harden is maybe 5-7. After tonight Blake will be at 22/12/3 on the year.

Miltstar
11-07-2013, 11:37 PM
lol

sunsfan88
11-08-2013, 02:05 AM
The answer is pretty obvious...its Curry. His only weakness is his durability.

WARRIORS@GR
11-08-2013, 02:17 AM
They are better all around players???

The big difference is Harden and Blake actually get to the free-throw line!!! and Blake plays pretty solid D. Curry is a fantastic shooter, but the other two are better players at this stage of their careers

The man love for Curry on this site is getting out of control!!!How is Harden better all-around than Curry?The only thing he is better at is getting to the rim and getting fouled.Curry is better at everything else.

BKLYNpigeon
11-08-2013, 02:26 AM
Pass on Blake. I dont like my PF's who cant post up or take it to the rim strong (im not talking about dunks).

Clippersfan86
11-08-2013, 02:44 AM
Pass on Blake. I dont like my PF's who cant post up or take it to the rim strong (im not talking about dunks).

Explain why a player get penalized for being the best finisher in the game and completing the highest percentage play in basketball? So what is taking it to the rim strong? Layups lol?

Huntey
11-08-2013, 05:21 AM
If you're talking about which player I would rather have right now it would probably be Curry with Blake a close second.

If you're talking about going back in time knowing what I know now, I'd still take griffin in the draft but I'd put him in a better situation, with a better coach and a better culture; I think that's what hurt his development over his first couple of years.

After Griffins rookie year I thought the guy had the potential to put up big numbers like 30 - 14 - 5, unfortunately he didn't develop like that, but I'd still take the chance to see if he could.

LeperMessiah
11-08-2013, 08:49 AM

He shoots alright for the kind of offense they run.

Clippersfan86
11-08-2013, 12:31 PM
If you're talking about which player I would rather have right now it would probably be Curry with Blake a close second.

If you're talking about going back in time knowing what I know now, I'd still take griffin in the draft but I'd put him in a better situation, with a better coach and a better culture; I think that's what hurt his development over his first couple of years.

After Griffins rookie year I thought the guy had the potential to put up big numbers like 30 - 14 - 5, unfortunately he didn't develop like that, but I'd still take the chance to see if he could.

I agree Vinny+culture set Blake back. Now Doc has had to undo a ton of bad habits. Blake is getting back to being a great rebounder like rookie year and is setting great screens for the first time of his career. The things like that add up and statistically Blake is having a career year in 6 games and I expect him to continue rising this year. He will earn back the respect of people.