PDA

View Full Version : Dirk mocks Harden's game; are his foul calls excessive?

ThuglifeJ
11-04-2013, 10:32 PM
Few days late and possibly not thread worthy.. but the quote is just too damn funny

"I guess I've just got to get out of the way," Nowitzki said. "Hes so great at creating contact, so I've just got to run to the locker room and let him lay it in."

On one hand, you can't blame him if the refs are gonna call fouls for him so often, but on the other hand his constant flails to the basket are outrageous to me. Makes it hard for me to like him.

Mr_Jones
11-04-2013, 10:45 PM
He does flail a lot. I don't get what the defender is supposed to do. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

TimeForAHoliday
11-04-2013, 10:49 PM
He flops way too much. In the playoffs this past year he wasn't getting as much calls and you saw how that turned out.

ThaDubs
11-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Yeah I like Harden but he plays like a *****.

Guppyfighter
11-04-2013, 10:51 PM
He flops way too much. In the playoffs this past year he wasn't getting as much calls and you saw how that turned out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaahcDNJNuo

Yeah, overall he played pretty well.

AddiX
11-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Harden gets more bs calls than anyone in the NBA, the last player I remember getting these kinds of calls was Wade.

b@llhog24
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Tony_Starks
He pimps those flails in the regular season but in the playoffs that doesn't fly. Rember his finals performance against the Heat? When the refs swallowed their whistles he had no idea what to do.

To his credit at least he's still trying to score when he does it. He's not pulling a Corey Magette and just barreling in there without even trying to shoot....

TimeForAHoliday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaahcDNJNuo

Yeah, overall he played pretty well.

One game. He shot under 40% 4 times in a 6 game series. Including the elimination game where he shot 31%. BEAST.

Swashcuff
11-04-2013, 11:02 PM

Amen

I could NEVER get mad at Harden for playing the way he does since it WORKS in his favour and its all within the rules of the game.

Guppyfighter
11-04-2013, 11:04 PM
One game. He shot under 40% 4 times in a 6 game series. Including the elimination game where he shot 31%. BEAST.

Considering he shoots slightly above 40 percent on the year that's not that surprising. TS is all that matters and his playoff true shooting was 599.

TimeForAHoliday
11-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Considering he shoots slightly above 40 percent on the year that's not that surprising. TS is all that matters and his playoff true shooting was 599.
you cant even find the correct advanced stats. Embarrassing for such a stat nerd like yourself. He had .548 TS% last year in the playoffs, compared to .600 in the regular season.

Also:

Win shares in the regular season for Harden: .206

In the playoffs: .100

Oh but he played so much better in the playoffs! His TS% was .548! Guys?

ThuglifeJ
11-04-2013, 11:16 PM
^not to mention his horrific playoff performance in the Finals with OKC...

dude just relies on the whistle which is why I hate hearing he's a superstar

BenFrank
11-04-2013, 11:23 PM
LMFAO.. All I see is Hating... if he was on your team, you would be praising him.. so your Hating is irrelevant..

TimeForAHoliday
11-04-2013, 11:27 PM
LMFAO.. All I see is Hating... if he was on your team, you would be praising him.. so your Hating is irrelevant..

I may be hating, but what I'm saying is true. He flops for calls and his game dropped significantly in the playoffs last season.

gatkins11
11-04-2013, 11:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSyuUQZSFlU

alexander_37
11-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Few days late and possibly not thread worthy.. but the quote is just too damn funny

On one hand, you can't blame him if the refs are gonna call fouls for him so often, but on the other hand his constant flails to the basket are outrageous to me. Makes it hard for me to like him.

Hey everyone he doesn't like Harden!?>?

See nobody cares.

FOBolous
11-04-2013, 11:39 PM
he mad. cause Harden fouled him out.

ldawg
11-04-2013, 11:40 PM

On one hand, you can't blame him if the refs are gonna call fouls for him so often, but on the other hand his constant flails to the basket are outrageous to me. Makes it hard for me to like him.Its funny because I saw that last foul on Dirk that was an awful call. Lebron and Harden is the master of that. What is a defender to do when the offensive guy run into you. Do the NBA just want the defender to disappear?

ThuglifeJ
11-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Rockets fans to the rescue..

Swashcuff
11-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Rockets fans to the rescue..

I aint no Rockets fan.

Had Harden been on the Bulls you'd be licking his nuts. Everything he does is within the rules of the game of basketball.

b@llhog24
11-05-2013, 12:11 AM
you cant even find the correct advanced stats. Embarrassing for such a stat nerd like yourself. He had .548 TS% last year in the playoffs, compared to .600 in the regular season.

Also:

Win shares in the regular season for Harden: .206

In the playoffs: .100

Oh but he played so much better in the playoffs! His TS% was .548! Guys?

He's talking about career wise.

b@llhog24
11-05-2013, 12:11 AM

Amen

I could NEVER get mad at Harden for playing the way he does since it WORKS in his favour and its all within the rules of the game.

Pretty much. No amount of *****ing is gonna change what he does.

therealwd27
11-05-2013, 12:16 AM
Rose and Harden are the kings of driving and throwing there head back. Hasn't been working for Rose this season so far but works for Harden. Not there fault refs blow whistle though. Dislike both of them but can't knock proven methods of scoring

therealwd27
11-05-2013, 12:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBz3PqA2Fmc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

When he drives. Lol ^^^

Kashmir13579
11-05-2013, 12:41 AM
Dirk should be one to talk.. :rolleyes:

Dirk is an underrated flopper.

MygirlhatesCod
11-05-2013, 12:42 AM
The moral of the story in the nba is that if your a good actor your a superstar

Chronz
11-05-2013, 12:49 AM
The never ending complaint about the guy who gets a **** ton of ft

beasted86
11-05-2013, 12:53 AM
I still love watching Harden play, but his flailing is worse than any other player in recent history.

He does the same move where brings the ball really low then rises up and flails and the refs bite every time.

But more power to him if the refs can't recognize it. He's still a great player.

Jenceman
11-05-2013, 01:11 AM
His last two playoff series it didn't work out so well for him, now did it?

P&GRealist
11-05-2013, 02:32 AM
2 years ago on a nationally televised game on ABC, Jeff Van Gundy said that the 3 guys who are the best at driving to the basket and bobbing their head back are Rose, LeBron and Wade. You can now add Harden and Durant to that list now.

c.c.
11-05-2013, 02:39 AM

^
^
^
This

Supreme LA
11-05-2013, 02:56 AM
I still love watching Harden play, but his flailing is worse than any other player in recent history.

He does the same move where brings the ball really low then rises up and flails and the refs bite every time.

But more power to him if the refs can't recognize it. He's still a great player.

I don't agree that he is a great player just yet. The work "great" isn't something to just be tossed around.

goku
11-05-2013, 03:00 AM

like Harden even cares

goku
11-05-2013, 03:02 AM
I don't agree that he is a great player just yet. The work "great" isn't something to just be tossed around.

he is really good and he only 24 yrs old one thing he needs to improve on is his defense

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-05-2013, 03:34 AM
2 years ago on a nationally televised game on ABC, Jeff Van Gundy said that the 3 guys who are the best at driving to the basket and bobbing their head back are Rose, LeBron and Wade. You can now add Harden and Durant to that list now.
Paul Pierce invented that ish. These guys are just disciples.

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-05-2013, 03:38 AM
he is really good and he only 24 yrs old one thing he needs to improve on is his defense

His assist to turnover ratio is crap. He needs to be a better and more willing passer as well. In an offense that wants him to create for others like a point guard off screens, he should have higher assist %

Guppyfighter
11-05-2013, 03:57 AM
His assist to turnover ratio is crap. He needs to be a better and more willing passer as well. In an offense that wants him to create for others like a point guard off screens, he should have higher assist %

Actually, adjusting for pace he has a very low amount of turnovers.

Chronz
11-05-2013, 04:03 AM

Refs recognize the foul

kblo247
11-05-2013, 06:45 AM
He's a flopper, a huge one. His game relies on flopping for free throws, chucking threes, and fastbreaks.

When his flops aren't called he looks awful like those finals. When his 3 isn't falling he looks awful like when they played la as a member of OKC last time in the playoffs and he was just awful that series with Kobe and Metta on him, but Barnes kept getting whistled. If he didn't get the ft calls his last 2 months last year would go down as god awful because he shot 39% and chucked 6 threes a game to close the final two months.

I get what Dirk is saying, he has no post game, he's not physical with you, he just jumps into you and flails. And he's had moments where he is truly cheap like pretending Chandler hurt him in the playoffs or vs Artest where they have him on the floor peeping and smiling after walking into him.

There's little substance to his offensive game, hell his defensive game too, but if the refs are going to allow him to flail, which they do, he might as well do it like he does

sunsfan88
11-05-2013, 07:02 AM
It doesn't work in the playoffs cause in the playoffs, you have to do more than flop to win.

Harden is such a great shooter, I wish he would take advantage of that more often than flopping.

sammyvine
11-05-2013, 07:09 AM
Rose and Harden are the kings of driving and throwing there head back. Hasn't been working for Rose this season so far but works for Harden. Not there fault refs blow whistle though. Dislike both of them but can't knock proven methods of scoring
Eh?
when has rose ever been a flopper? He has never been known as that/

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Actually, adjusting for pace he has a very low amount of turnovers.

His turnover % is far too high. I don't even look at turnovers per game due to pace.

Swashcuff
11-05-2013, 10:36 AM

His turnover % is far too high. I don't even look at turnovers per game due to pace.

First to begin with ast/to is a crap stat, it doesn't tell you anything about a player's ability as a passer as to whether how good or bad they are as there are many different types on turnovers, not just passing.

82games.com passing rating is a way more efficient tool in gauging a player's passing ability. Last season Harden passing rating was 7.8 better than both Kobe 7.4 and Wade 7.3, all of whom were way behind Manu however who was at 9.9. The real measure of a poor pass v assist is not ast/to but rather ast/bad pass. Harden, Wade and Kobe all averaged 3.2 assists for every bad pass while Manu averaged 3.3.

There is nothing wrong with Harden as a passer, hell even TO% has its flaws when you consider the fact that at a higher pace the probability of turning the ball over tends to increase, so even thought TO% takes pace into consideration it doesn't take rate of turnovers as well.

Harden's biggest flaws are his shot selection and his defense he doesn't have any problem with passing the ball.

THE MTL
11-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Harden gets far too many foul calls. His style tricks the refs cause he's always bobbing his head up and down like he's getting hit.

colinskik
11-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Sure, his game might be as polished or dependent on finesse as some others in the league, but he gets it done and he does it within the rules of the game. You can't blame Harden for the refs blowing the whistle.

When he's getting to the line against your team it can be frustrating to watch, but i'd take him on my team in a second.

John Walls Era
11-05-2013, 11:19 AM
LOL Dirk talking about flopping and creating contact.

Sadds The Gr8
11-05-2013, 11:59 AM
hope he keeps flopping to piss all of you cry babies off

and to raise my FT% in my roto league...

Hawkeye15
11-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Here is what has happened. In OKC, he drew real fouls with his euro step, throwing the arms up and finishing style. Therefore, he was given the respect of the refs. Harden has now literally mastered the ability to not only find contact, but shield himself and create the upper body contact, and he can sell it all day. Does he get calls excessively? Yes. But he is a master at his craft, and in the speed of the moment, they all look like fouls. Easy for us to watch in slow motion, close up over the fact and cry about it. Reffing a game is different, and they aren't going to look at every foul or the game would be unbearable to watch.

Chronz
11-05-2013, 12:35 PM

First to begin with ast/to is a crap stat, it doesn't tell you anything about a player's ability as a passer as to whether how good or bad they are as there are many different types on turnovers, not just passing.

82games.com passing rating is a way more efficient tool in gauging a player's passing ability. Last season Harden passing rating was 7.8 better than both Kobe 7.4 and Wade 7.3, all of whom were way behind Manu however who was at 9.9. The real measure of a poor pass v assist is not ast/to but rather ast/bad pass. Harden, Wade and Kobe all averaged 3.2 assists for every bad pass while Manu averaged 3.3.

There is nothing wrong with Harden as a passer, hell even TO% has its flaws when you consider the fact that at a higher pace the probability of turning the ball over tends to increase, so even thought TO% takes pace into consideration it doesn't take rate of turnovers as well.

Harden's biggest flaws are his shot selection and his defense he doesn't have any problem with passing the ball.
Hes talking about his turnovers in general not just passing turnovers

ricky recon
11-05-2013, 12:36 PM
It is really, really bad.

The purpose of a foul is playing defense too physical, not the Harden running into everyone. It's stupid.

scissors
11-05-2013, 12:36 PM
LOL Dirk talking about flopping and creating contact.

That's funny. I thought people are always saying that Dirk never did anything but shoot jumpshots.

mdm692
11-05-2013, 12:43 PM
So Harden flops and everybody rips him. LBJ and KD flop and it's ok because they're superstars lmao.

Swashcuff
11-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Hes talking about his turnovers in general not just passing turnovers

The fact that he spoke of his passing and turnovers at the same time made me believe that he think that all TOs are a result of poor passing. TBH in general his TO% isn't even that bad for a player who controls the ball as much as he does.

Tony_Starks
11-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Just like Pierce with his famous head flail back flop, or Reggie Miller kicking out his leg to draw fouls, eventually they'll catch on....

Hawkeye15
11-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Just like Pierce with his famous head flail back flop, or Reggie Miller kicking out his leg to draw fouls, eventually they'll catch on....

or Kobe with his flail out on jumpers, or LeBron with his head snap, etc, etc, etc. Just hoping they lock in on CP3 already, my god.

That being said, some guys are amazing at creating contact on the move.

Stinkyoutsider
11-05-2013, 01:08 PM
I would have thought Harden changed all this flailing and attempts to bait the refs into these sorts of calls after Artest gave him that elbow last year after jumping in front of him...

zn23
11-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Harden is the biggest ref baiter in the league. I hate the way he plays the game. As soon as he comes into contact with anyone he snaps his head back like he has whip lash.

Swashcuff
11-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Harden is the biggest ref baiter in the league. I hate the way he plays the game. As soon as he comes into contact with anyone he snaps his head back like he has whip lash.

ironic that a Christiano Ronaldo fan would dislike ref baiting.

Tony_Starks
11-05-2013, 01:41 PM
I care less about his flopping and more that he's done nothing to expand his game. He's basically off the dribble 3's and throwing himself in the lane. No d. No mid range game. No post up. Lots of TOs. Over dribbling.

If his 3 ball isn't falling he's not giving you a lot.....

sep11ie
11-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Ha, Dirk played for whistles too...back when he was relevant.

Chronz
11-05-2013, 02:06 PM
The fact that he spoke of his passing and turnovers at the same time made me believe that he think that all TOs are a result of poor passing. TBH in general his TO% isn't even that bad for a player who controls the ball as much as he does.
You could argue every turnover is a result of not passing when required. I get what your saying, I use BadPass/Assist ratio's as well, but I got the feeling he was talking about him being turnover prone in general tho he does make some lazy passes that infuriate me. I was honestly expecting more from him as a playmaker in Houston

sunsfan88
11-05-2013, 07:21 PM
^To be honest, Harden hasn't really been playing with any very good players til this year. Sure he had Parsons but that was about it.

Byronicle
11-05-2013, 07:59 PM
He was always a flopper.

Flailing his arms like that. Refs should not call the foul when that is a blatantly obvious exaggeration

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-05-2013, 08:13 PM

I wasn't really just talking about his bad passes. I am just saying that he turns the ball over in general too much. And he does so with a low assist ratio. I could see having a high turnover ratio when you are always looking for teammates or being a play maker ala Magic and Nash. They turned the ball over about 19% of the time but had an assist% of about 41%. Harden for his career has an assist% of 18.5 and a turnover% of 14%. That is not good enough for a player of his caliber. He had a better assist% last year of 25.7 but he was also more prone to turnovers. If the Rockets are going to use Beverly as a defensive specialist with Harden controlling the rock, he needs to improve in that area.

And I am not sure what you are talking about in regards to the turnover% and pace. It does not take pace into consideration at all. It only cares about per 100 possessions. Harden was turning the ball over when his teams were 12th, 13th, and 6th in the league in pace pretty much at the same rate he did last year when his team was 1st in pace.

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-05-2013, 08:13 PM
You could argue every turnover is a result of not passing when required. I get what your saying, I use BadPass/Assist ratio's as well, but I got the feeling he was talking about him being turnover prone in general tho he does make some lazy passes that infuriate me. I was honestly expecting more from him as a playmaker in Houston

This is all I'm saying.

WVNowitzki
11-05-2013, 08:16 PM
OP: Please explain how Dirk was "mocking" Harden's game. What are you TMZ / ESPN trying to make something out of nothing here?

Swashcuff
11-05-2013, 09:01 PM

You can argue that, but you'd be wrong.

Swashcuff
11-05-2013, 09:14 PM
I wasn't really just talking about his bad passes. I am just saying that he turns the ball over in general too much. And he does so with a low assist ratio. I could see having a high turnover ratio when you are always looking for teammates or being a play maker ala Magic and Nash. They turned the ball over about 19% of the time but had an assist% of about 41%. Harden for his career has an assist% of 18.5 and a turnover% of 14%. That is not good enough for a player of his caliber. He had a better assist% last year of 25.7 but he was also more prone to turnovers. If the Rockets are going to use Beverly as a defensive specialist with Harden controlling the rock, he needs to improve in that area.

And I am not sure what you are talking about in regards to the turnover% and pace. It does not take pace into consideration at all. It only cares about per 100 possessions. Harden was turning the ball over when his teams were 12th, 13th, and 6th in the league in pace pretty much at the same rate he did last year when his team was 1st in pace.

You can compare James Harden to most of the better SGs in the league over the last couple years and you'd find similar assists to turnover percentages. I'm speaking of Harden 2012-2013 season, you know his first year as a starter and when he actually entered his prime years not his seasons on the bench as a very young player. You see who you're comparing Harden to right? Nash and Magic and even though you're trying to say that you are not speaking of passing the mention of those players directly show that you are indeed taking passing into consideration.

Those are two players who have legendary ast%s how on earth can one then compare them to Harden who has a totally different role in his team. I honestly can't understand whats the knock on a player who had a ast% of 26% last season with a Tov% of 15% that's basically prime/peak Manu type production.

Don't you think there is anything wrong with comparing the career numbers of a 5th year player who only last season became a starter as compared to players in Nash and Magic who had their entire career to put together those numbers.

And you are right, TOV% does not take pace into consideration. Point still stands however.

ThaDubs
11-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Oh my god two ridiculous blocks in a row wow wow wow wow wowwow nsdfdsasdf

tmacsc2
11-05-2013, 09:37 PM
It's that ****ing beard..... Lol gets so many foul calls from that big *** thing flopping in the air.

*Superman*
11-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Oh my god two ridiculous blocks in a row wow wow wow wow wowwow nsdfdsasdf

What? Lol.

ThuglifeJ
11-05-2013, 10:33 PM
OP: Please explain how Dirk was "mocking" Harden's game. What are you TMZ / ESPN trying to make something out of nothing here?

"He’s so great at creating contact, so I've just got to run to the locker room and let him lay it in."

NetsPaint
11-06-2013, 02:16 AM
Watched most of the second half of the Portland/Houston game. Those refs killed the Blazers. Was paying attention to Harden because of this thread, and man, it was ridiculous. On one play shown on the replays enough wasn't seen, but it looked like Harden was selling a shot to the head to the ground and it looked like he might have not even been touched.

FOBolous
11-06-2013, 02:20 AM
Watched most of the second half of the Portland/Houston game. Those refs killed the Blazers. Was paying attention to Harden because of this thread, and man, it was ridiculous. On one play shown on the replays enough wasn't seen, but it looked like Harden was selling a shot to the head to the ground and it looked like he might have not even been touched.

i remember that play. this is exactly what i was thinking when it first happened. but than the TV showed a different angle in which Harden was clearly hit in the face.

amos1er
11-07-2013, 07:35 AM
Dirk called it out. Straight truth. Dude shot 43.8% from the field last season, yet got a boost to a TS% of .60?!? When does that ever happen?!? Refs be straight hookin it up. And to those who say Harden is top 5 in the NBA... Ya, I agree he is top 5... Top five in flopping for sure. And to those who say that it's only Kobe fans who criticize Harden... Is Dirk a Kobe fan too??? Lol.

Guppyfighter
11-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Dirk called it out. Straight truth. Dude shot 43.8% from the field last season, yet got a boost to a TS% of .60?!? When does that ever happen?!? Refs be straight hookin it up. And to those who say Harden is top 5 in the NBA... Ya, I agree he is top 5... Top five in flopping for sure. And to those who say that it's only Kobe fans who criticize Harden... Is Dirk a Kobe fan too??? Lol.

All the time actually. Curry shot 45 percent and had a TS of 590.

Chauncey Billups had a TS of 600 last year with a FG percentage of 360. It's pretty common.

Chronz
11-07-2013, 11:47 AM
You can argue that, but you'd be wrong.
Cute. I dont necessarily agree with that but if you think about it, there is a legit argument. When a player drives into traffic and picks up an offensive foul, thats a situation where he should have passed instead. If a player uses his off arm or turns it over by getting picked, thats just bad ball handling but ball handling and playmaking have always been linked somewhat, coaches have been using assist to turnover ratio for years, we have more up to date metrics, like pure point ratio that act as a better gauge for passing efficiency but the point Im making is that the turnovers are still a part of that formula.

archdevil84
11-07-2013, 03:02 PM
harden just received a warning for overreacting to a foul call AKA he was flopping like a fish on the beach

championships
11-08-2013, 02:18 AM
After watching the game tonight I say hell yes his calls are excessive! That was a joke

ThuglifeJ
11-08-2013, 03:03 AM
Tonight was bad. He travels on every step back.

Its a joke. His game is a joke... props that he makes the shots anyways tho I'll give him that