PDA

View Full Version : How Great Can The Clippers Offense Be?

Clippersfan86
11-04-2013, 04:18 PM
I saw something on NBA TV that said we have scored more in the first 3 games of a season than any team since the 2010 Suns (WCF team). For the Clippers it's obvious the defense or lack of defense will make or break the season so let's get that out of the way. But for a second focus on nothing but the offense and what do you think the max upside of this offense is?

JJ Redick on the offense: "I hate to say this because we’re averaging a lot of points but I think we’re running at 50% capacity of where we can be”

I can't argue with JJ because Gentry's offensive system is far more complex than what our guys are used to and we are still integrating guys. CP3/Griffin are being pushed to be far more aggressive by Doc this year and so far have been. DJ although not a consistent scoring threat will always give you an efficient 8-10 ppg. Then you have insanely efficient spot up/catch and shoot guys in Dudley and Redick. Redick was voted the 2nd best shooter off screens and on the move after Ray Allen. Then you obviously have Crawford off the bench who can drop 20 any night. The bench hasn't even gotten going either, I expect the output from Collison/Barnes to improve.

Clippersfan86
11-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Dupe.

WARRIORS@GR
11-04-2013, 04:22 PM
I think the 2010 Suns had much more(and better) shooters.

Tony_Starks
11-04-2013, 04:22 PM
No. Because they have a legit coach that believes in defense and isn't going to try to outscore every team, every night.

They'll take it where they can get it but I promise you Doc will take a whole bunch of low scoring wins this season and build that defensive mentality.....

Clippersfan86
11-04-2013, 04:25 PM
No. Because they have a legit coach that believes in defense and isn't going to try to outscore every team, every night.

They'll take it where they can get it but I promise you Doc will take a whole bunch of low scoring wins this season and build that defensive mentality.....

Alvin Gentry is running the offense though.

bholly
11-04-2013, 04:37 PM
It's been 3 games, two of which were against teams with awful defenses. The data means almost nothing at this point. Don't get me wrong, you're free to speculate, but you already know in advance that it's going to be you hyping them based on optimism and then arguing with everyone else who says it's too early to think about them being 'great' at all.

Clippersfan86
11-04-2013, 04:39 PM
It's been 3 games, two of which were against teams with awful defenses. The data means almost nothing at this point. Don't get me wrong, you're free to speculate, but you already know in advance that it's going to be you hyping them based on optimism and then arguing with everyone else who says it's too early to think about them being 'great' at all.

I actually plan on not posting really in here and just getting honest feedback/opinions (which I've done plenty of times). I genuinely want to know what others think of the topic, not based on the 3 game sample. Even prior to the season a few people mentioned the potential of the offense. Chronz said he predicts we would be top offense in the league himself and he's not quick to jump the gun so the blind homer narrative doesn't work here. Maybe next time your assumption will be right.

bholly
11-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Okay!

b@llhog24
11-04-2013, 04:43 PM
After the Dubs.

Clippersfan86
11-04-2013, 04:46 PM
After the Dubs.

I was thinking by season end the top 3 will be Clippers, Warriors, Rockets. Thoughts?

beasted86
11-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Why start this thread in the NBA forum based on a 3 game sample?

Are you also planning on making a thread about "How Bad Can The Clippers Defense Be?" since the Clippers are giving up 110.6 PPG which leads the NBA, and hasn't been done in over 22 years?

The common sense used by the OP when it comes to the Clippers is severely lacking.

P&GRealist
11-04-2013, 05:06 PM
If Blake Griffin can't develop a consistent jumpshot off of Pick-and-pops and unless he develops a post-game, Clippers offense will be stagnant against the elite defenses. Unless Griffin takes the next level, the Clippers will be a 2nd round and out team at best.

Clippersfan86
11-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Why start this thread in the NBA forum based on a 3 game sample?

Are you also planning on making a thread about "How Bad Can The Clippers Defense Be?" since the Clippers are giving up 110.6 PPG which leads the NBA, and hasn't been done in over 22 years?

The common sense used by the OP when it comes to the Clippers is severely lacking.

I just threw the Suns thing in there because it just shows at least a glimpse of the explosiveness in the offense. What common sense about the Clippers are you referring to?

I'm basing this purely on a CP3 led offense surrounded by shooters with Gentry running the offense. On paper potential, not off of current results as much. You're clearly butthurt though with this response, so that's always sad to see. I'll never understand why it's so personal for some people. You have a choice what you read around here, nothing is serious enough to hold grudges on a personal level like you're clearly doing.

You chose to not only come in here but fail to even TRY to answer the question and instead focused on attacking my "lack of common sense".

Jenceman
11-04-2013, 05:14 PM
They can be one of the leagues better offenses but the ay the threat is set up...it's like you're asking if they can be a great all- time offense.

b@llhog24
11-04-2013, 05:17 PM
After the Dubs.

I was thinking by season end the top 3 will be Clippers, Warriors, Rockets. Thoughts?

Rockets will probably be in the top 5. They turn the ball over too much. Either way they won't seperate themselves much from the Nets, Heat or OKC.

tredigs
11-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Are they allowing the most points through 3 games in history as well? 111 from the opposition, yikes. That'll happen when you score a ton though. They're only .3 points a game ahead of the Warriors so far though (112.7), which should change after GS plays Philly tonight. We'll get back to this in a month or two and see where they're actually at.

Goose17
11-04-2013, 05:24 PM
They have a nice group, great passing/court vision with CP3, offensive boards with DJ, shooters, athletic guys that can penetrate, fast paced run 'n' gun style.

I enjoy watching them when they're not playing the Dubs, when they play us all I want to see is everyone on their team failing miserably.

Clippersfan86
11-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Are they allowing the most points through 3 games as well? 111 from the opposition, yikes. That'll happen when you score a ton though. They're only .3 points a game ahead of the Warriors so far though (112.7), which should change after GS plays Philly tonight. We'll get back to this in a month or two and see where they're actually at.

Yea they are giving up a lot too no doubt. 30th ranked defense, 1st ranked offense. Although it's very safe to say the defense is obviously more of an anomaly than the offense. Prior to the season most people would agree they would be a top 3 offense (4th the last two years), last year they were the 9th ranked defense and improved the defensive players+added Doc.. so them being 30th is a huge problem, but one that surely won't last.

The offense with just the pure talent we have should always be top 5, we know that... but the defense when the team has time to gel will obviously climb, likely above top 15. I said it before... I think our only real competition for the offense crown this year is the Warriors. The top offense in the league honor will likely come down to those two. Spurs, Heat Rockets are my 3/4/5 in no particular order.

GiantsSwaGG
11-04-2013, 05:27 PM
:facepalm: it's 3 games bruh

Clippersfan86
11-04-2013, 05:29 PM
:facepalm: it's 3 games bruh

I'm not arguing with people's opinions here but can you at least read the OP please? With Vinny and no shooters back to back 4th ranked offense the last two years. Now with Gentry+much better shooters... what do you feel the upside is?

Tony_Starks
11-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Long story short I think they could but that's not what Doc wants. You see what happened when they got into a shooting match with the Lakers. I think the main goal will be getting Blake and DJ to focus on defense and become one of the best defensive teams in the league.

If that happens the offense will take care of itself, the talent is there.

Goose17
11-04-2013, 05:37 PM
I think the best offense in the West is easily going to be between the Clippers and my Dubs.

That's not to say their individual talent is better, but as a collective group there is more weapons and more variety than that on the OKC roster or Spurs or Houston or whoever else you consider contenders.

It's all going to come down to defense.

beasted86
11-04-2013, 05:38 PM
I just threw the Suns thing in there because it just shows at least a glimpse of the explosiveness in the offense. What common sense about the Clippers are you referring to?

I'm basing this purely on a CP3 led offense surrounded by shooters with Gentry running the offense. On paper potential, not off of current results as much. You're clearly butthurt though with this response, so that's always sad to see. I'll never understand why it's so personal for some people. You have a choice what you read around here, nothing is serious enough to hold grudges on a personal level like you're clearly doing.

You chose to not only come in here but fail to even TRY to answer the question and instead focused on attacking my "lack of common sense".

No, son. See, you are different from other posters. You deserve to be scolded over and over again until this behavior stops.

It's expected that every once in a while some person will feel obligated to make an NBA forum thread about their team that in reality belongs in the team forum or a thread shouldn't be made about it at all. You on the other hand make this a regular practice that goes far beyond the "every once in a while" occurrence. Every single day it seems you spend most of it creating threads about the Clippers that are pointless or derailing other open threads about other teams/players and finding a way to interject the Clippers team or players. To put it simply, that **** is annoying, and it can only go on for so long before I am forced to respond in threads just the way I am now instead of just ignoring you.

Clippersfan86
11-04-2013, 05:45 PM
No, son. See, you are different from other posters. You deserve to be scolded over and over again until this behavior stops.

It's expected that every once in a while some person will feel obligated to make an NBA forum thread about their team that in reality belongs in the team forum or a thread shouldn't be made about it at all. You on the other hand make this a regular practice that goes far beyond the "every once in a while" occurrence. Every single day it seems you spend most of it creating threads about the Clippers that are pointless or derailing other open threads about other teams/players and finding a way to interject the Clippers team or players. To put it simply, that **** is annoying, and it can only go on for so long before I am forced to respond in threads just the way I am now instead of just ignoring you.

Do me a favor. Go look over the threads I've made in say the last 2 weeks.. and tell me which Clippers threads I've made? This is my first Clippers thread in at least a week. Given that you're a Heat fan and during the season we will sometimes have 5 Heat threads or more a night...you should be accustomed to my threads and far less sensitive about them.

I actually haven't really been talking about the Clippers much these last few days because they haven't played and I've been enjoying a lot of other games. I do admit that there is something funny about a guy flat out saying it's his mission to scold me and personally attack me, while calling me son... then preaching about things like maturity and common sense. I have no personal issue whatsoever with anybody here because I understand how we are as sports fans. Live in the moment most of the time, driven by passion. This is why I get a kick out of people having vendettas like you have with me.

Maybe some day you'll let it go, until then take care of yourself.

Gibby23
11-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Do me a favor. Go look over the threads I've made in say the last 2 weeks.. and tell me which Clippers threads I've made? This is my first Clippers thread in at least a week. Given that you're a Heat fan and during the season we will sometimes have 5 Heat threads or more a night...you should be accustomed to my threads and far less sensitive about them.
I actually haven't really been talking about the Clippers much these last few days because they haven't played and I've been enjoying a lot of other games. I do admit that there is something funny about a guy flat out saying it's his mission to scold me and personally attack me, while calling me son... then preaching about things like maturity and common sense. I have no personal issue whatsoever with anybody here because I understand how we are as sports fans. Live in the moment most of the time, driven by passion. This is why I get a kick out of people having vendettas like you have with me.

Maybe some day you'll let it go, until then take care of yourself.

The Heat have been to the Finals.

The Heat have won Championships.

The Clippers have lost in the 1st and 2nd rounds the last 2 years. They have done nothing.

Clippersfan86
11-04-2013, 06:00 PM

The Clippers have lost in the 1st and 2nd rounds the last 2 years. They have done nothing.

I'm trying to figure out why winning should correlate with thread generation on a general basketball forum. Even before the Heat won in the first year... the bandwagon Heat fans flooded this board with more threads than any other team's fans, besides maybe the Lakers. This hypothetical question or projection has absolutely nothing to do with Clippers history as a team.

I looked at PSD's rules and it says nothing about having to win the title to earn the right to post threads. That kind of logic is worse than the logic Beasted was accusing me of having. Maybe he will "scold" you now because he's too mature to use the ignore feature.

beasted86
11-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Do me a favor. Go look over the threads I've made in say the last 2 weeks.. and tell me which Clippers threads I've made?

No problem. I'm glad to son you, and show you the error of your ways:

Today we have this thread about how great the Clippers can be based off of 3 NBA games. :bang:
Next, we have this (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?841396-I-Thought-Darren-Collison-Sucked) thread about how good Darren Collison is based off of one preseason game. :bang:
Finally, we have this (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?840148-What-is-the-Clippers-Upside-if-DeAndre-Jordan-Becomes-an-All-Star-Caliber-Player) thread about how DeAndre Jordan can be DPOY because Doc Rivers said so. :bang:

If you don't see the trend of how trivial and annoying your threads might be to non-Clipper fans, then you just won't ever get it. I have spent enough time on you for today, but I wanted to let you know every time people see one of these types of threads don't be surprised to see a backlash because it is clearly warranted. It's not just random hate, and it's not like you "rarely" post nonsense like this.

Clippersfan86
11-04-2013, 06:08 PM
No problem. I'm glad to son you, and show you the error of your ways:

Today we have this thread about how great the Clippers can be based off of 3 NBA games. :bang:
Next, we have this (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?841396-I-Thought-Darren-Collison-Sucked) thread about how good Darren Collison is based off of one preseason game. :bang:
Finally, we have this (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?840148-What-is-the-Clippers-Upside-if-DeAndre-Jordan-Becomes-an-All-Star-Caliber-Player) thread about how DeAndre Jordan can be DPOY because Doc Rivers said so. :bang:

If you don't see the trend of how trivial and annoying your threads might be to non-Clipper fans, then you just won't ever get it. I have spent enough time on you for today, but I wanted to let you know every time people see one of these types of threads don't be surprised to see a backlash because it is clearly warranted. It's not just random hate, and it's not like you "rarely" post nonsense like this.

Thanks for proving me right! The Darren Collison thread was 3-4 weeks ago. The DeAndre Jordan one was made like two months ago (I bumped with an update). So in other words...I've made two Clippers threads in the last month and bumped one. You have to be mentally weak if that's overwhelming for you. What I DO know is that had somebody else made a thread about the Clippers offense you would of had zero issue with it. Given that it was me, you've raised a big issue.

That alone proves that it has nothing to do with how trivial you feel the thread may or may not be and everything to do with your personal feelings towards me. Bottom line is 90 percent of the sh** we all post on this forum is trivial. I've talked about this before but any team specific thread could technically go in it's own team forum but that's not how it works.

I'm not surprised at backlash because there are posters like you who I've gotten into it with that have trouble moving on from the past and want to fight over the stupidest things for long periods of time. If there is a poster I don't get along with.. I just won't go in their threads. If I do... I won't bother wasting time calling them out. This can be one example of being a bigger man about it or being mature.

BTW you still didn't tell me what you hope to gain here. You call me son, personally attack me and tell me you will continue to scold me every chance you get... while preaching maturity and common sense. Sounds like a guy who's not so sure with who he is.

WARRIORS@GR
11-04-2013, 06:10 PM
What's the problem with discussing about contenders?If you don't like the thread,don't read it.It's that simple.

TheMightyHumph
11-04-2013, 10:09 PM
I saw something on NBA TV that said we have scored more in the first 3 games of a season than any team since the 2010 Suns (WCF team). For the Clippers it's obvious the defense or lack of defense will make or break the season so let's get that out of the way. But for a second focus on nothing but the offense and what do you think the max upside of this offense is?

JJ Redick on the offense: "I hate to say this because we’re averaging a lot of points but I think we’re running at 50% capacity of where we can be”

I can't argue with JJ because Gentry's offensive system is far more complex than what our guys are used to and we are still integrating guys. CP3/Griffin are being pushed to be far more aggressive by Doc this year and so far have been. DJ although not a consistent scoring threat will always give you an efficient 8-10 ppg. Then you have insanely efficient spot up/catch and shoot guys in Dudley and Redick. Redick was voted the 2nd best shooter off screens and on the move after Ray Allen. Then you obviously have Crawford off the bench who can drop 20 any night. The bench hasn't even gotten going either, I expect the output from Collison/Barnes to improve.

Honestly, that is a really strange question to ask on an NBA General Forum Board

JerseyPalahniuk
11-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Warriors offense is better.

TheMightyHumph
11-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Warriors offense is better.

Sez you

JerseyPalahniuk
11-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Good god, CP3 has 9 assists with 2 min left in the FIRST QUARTER. This team is a point guard's paradise.

RLundi
11-05-2013, 12:34 AM

The Lakers haven't done anything the past few years either but something tells me you'd be just fine with a Kobe thread every other night.

jam
11-05-2013, 12:54 AM
Based on what I've seen tonight, the answer is: "as good as the refs allow them to be."

And since being on the same continent as CP3 is enough to draw 4 fouls every half from his defender, they should be very good.

CP3 should open up an academy on flopping. Either that, or sign with the WWE when he retires. This guy is a f---ing joke.

jam
11-05-2013, 12:54 AM
Good god, CP3 has 9 assists with 2 min left in the FIRST QUARTER. This team is a point guard's paradise.

You can thank the refs for that.

VinceCarter
11-05-2013, 12:58 AM
I prefer: How great can the Nets offense be?

Chronz
11-05-2013, 01:18 AM
Based on what I've seen tonight, the answer is: "as good as the refs allow them to be."

And since being on the same continent as CP3 is enough to draw 4 fouls every half from his defender, they should be very good.

CP3 should open up an academy on flopping. Either that, or sign with the WWE when he retires. This guy is a f---ing joke.

So first game watching them?

Chronz
11-05-2013, 01:19 AM
You can thank the refs for that.
Yes we get it. You dont like the Clippers.

Clippersfan86
11-05-2013, 02:08 AM
137 on 52 percent shooting? Not bad. Against the previous 4th ranked defense that was holding opponents to like 89 ppg?

jam
11-05-2013, 02:18 AM
CP3 and Blake Griffin: GOAT flopping duo in NBA history. You might as well have vince mcmahon coaching the clips doing the power strut for 2 and 1/2 hours. That team is embarrassing.

FLOP CITY!

jam
11-05-2013, 02:19 AM
Yes we get it. You dont like the Clippers.

I thought I stopped watching the WWE years ago. Apparently not.

Chronz
11-05-2013, 02:45 AM
I thought I stopped watching the WWE years ago. Apparently not.
You have it twisted, the wwe copied the NBAs formula.

VinceCarter
11-05-2013, 03:22 AM
CP3 and Blake Griffin: GOAT flopping duo in NBA history. You might as well have vince mcmahon coaching the clips doing the power strut for 2 and 1/2 hours. That team is embarrassing.

FLOP CITY!

:hi5:

kblo247
11-05-2013, 06:37 AM
2nd best in the league IMO during the regular season behind GS. They have a point guard, 2 catch and shoot guys, 2 Dunkers, 2 mild chuckers, and a energy guy in their top 8.

I don't think it works in the playoffs when the game slows, possessions are lowered, and over a. 7 game series it's exploited that neither clipper big can post and that Paul can't ISO during cold stretches and drop. 25-30 for a whole series.

THE MTL
11-05-2013, 11:17 AM
I think the return of Omega Level 2008 Chris Paul will bring this team to new heights!