PDA

View Full Version : #1 pick Anthony Bennet still looking for first NBA basket

spreadeagle
11-04-2013, 01:50 AM
He looked good in preseason, rough start though
Cavaliers rookie Anthony Bennett, the No. 1 pick in the 2013 draft, has yet to make his first NBA field goal.

"I just feel like there’s a lid on the basket,'' he said quietly after the Cavs' 89-74 loss to the Pacers on Saturday night at Bank Life Fieldhouse. "Three games and no shots went in, but I just have to keep working.''

Late in the third quarter, he had what looked to be his best chance, when he stole the ball from Luis Scola and raced toward the other where Indiana's C.J. Watson was the only thing between him and a wide open layup -- good -- or dunk -- even better.

But he missed it. Asked what he was thinking the closer he got to the open goal, Bennett said, ''If it happens, [if] the opportunity comes, I’m going to try to dunk it. Other than that, I just have to work on my team, get rebounds, defend.''

He looked good in preseason, rough start though Anthony Bennett has yet to make his first NBA basket.

"I just feel like there’s a lid on the basket," said Bennett. "Three games and no shots went in, but I just have to keep working."

Bennett is now 0-for-12 from the field and 0-for-6 on three-pointers.

"Never," said Bennett when he was asked if he's ever had a stretch like this. "I also went through surgery and stuff. This is all kind of new to me. Basically this is my 11th game coming back off of surgery, haven’t played the whole summer. It’ll come to me." http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2013/11/no_offense_but_cleveland_caval.html

WARRIORS@GR
11-04-2013, 01:55 AM
No big deal.He's just so bad.

sunsfan88
11-04-2013, 02:01 AM
Really goes on to show how weak that draft was. MCW and Oladipo are about the only ones that's looking good so far.

JNA17
11-04-2013, 02:10 AM
Really goes on to show how weak that draft was. MCW and Oladipo are about the only ones that's looking good so far.

I don't blame the Cavs for not drafting MCW since he was sort of a question mark in the draft, but they should have drafted Oladipo.

Also, Alec Burks is playing very well.

c.c.
11-04-2013, 02:12 AM
Cavs should of traded that first overall

sunsfan88
11-04-2013, 02:13 AM
I don't blame the Cavs for not drafting MCW since he was sort of a question mark in the draft, but they should have drafted Oladipo.

Also, Alec Burks is playing very well.
Burks isn't a rookie.

JNA17
11-04-2013, 02:17 AM
Burks isn't a rookie.

Oh my mistake. Thought he was for some reason. :/

SeoulBeatz
11-04-2013, 02:37 AM
Give him time. I thought Bennett had the most talent in the draft but had bust potential (like everyone else in this year's class) and I wanted the Sixers to nab him at 11. Little did I know the Cavs would pick him first! But he does have an incredibly unique skillset and reminds me of a stronger more athletic Jamal Mashburn.

Hopefully he'll pan out but we'll see.

spreadeagle
11-04-2013, 02:45 AM
"Bennett missed all three of his field goal attempts and opposing beat writers were particularly brutal about his weight and conditioning. Though we saw flashes of offensive potential during the preseason, it's a bit disappointing that a No. 1 pick is taking so long to get his feet underneath him." -yahoo

*Superman*
11-04-2013, 02:48 AM
That must really suck the confidence out of you. This guy needs to get in the paint and score something before his streak continues!

BHF
11-04-2013, 03:18 AM
Trade him to the Raptors :) you can have anyone but JVal.

NYKNYGNYY
11-04-2013, 03:34 AM
Didnt like the pick I wulda traded down.or traded for a firat in the nxt dradt and a player...but this was an extremely weak dradt,

Well see how he pans out no biggie yet not every number one pick will adapt lkke lebron even tho he was already a monster

Sadds The Gr8
11-04-2013, 03:50 AM

ur probably mistakening him for Trey Burke, who's injured

BlinkManJan02
11-04-2013, 05:09 AM
that sounds pretty frustrating for a dude.

big_w
11-04-2013, 05:24 AM
Here's my post from 10/17:

I could not believe this guy went no. 1 in the draft. He'll be remembered as one of the worst #1 overall picks in nba history, alongside guys like Olowokandi and Kwame Brown.

3 games is obviously too soon to say that he IS a bust, but it's obviously an embarrassing start, particularly for a no. 1 overall pick.

JNA17
11-04-2013, 05:25 AM
ur probably mistakening him for Trey Burke, who's injured

Nah I actually thought Alec Burks was a rookie.

Although that is a pretty funny coincidence. XD

Arch Stanton
11-04-2013, 02:43 PM
He looks awful. But it's only 3 games. If he is still playing this bad come January, then there is some cause for concern and perhaps Chris Grant should be let go.

HT9Canada
11-04-2013, 03:01 PM
From what i've gathered statically, he's averaging 0 FGM per game so far. If this continues all season, it would tie him for worst in the league.

waveycrockett
11-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Bennett had bust written all over him from day 1. He is just confirming it. Way too undersized and round.

big_w
11-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Bennett had bust written all over him from day 1. He is just confirming it. Way too undersized and round.

It's easy to say this now.

Hustla23
11-05-2013, 01:40 AM
It's only three games. It could just be a mental thing. He seems like he has a ton of talent so let's see what happens.

WITZ
11-05-2013, 01:55 AM
It's only three games. It could just be a mental thing. He seems like he has a ton of talent so let's see what happens.

:hi5: feel the same way about his situation.

spreadeagle
11-05-2013, 02:01 AM
Did he score tn?, I watched till half time n I dont think he had yet

JEDean89
11-05-2013, 02:12 AM
^^^ nope. certainly not a great start for the #1 pick but I think he's probably not in the best situation in CLE, he doesn't really have a position yet and is still likely recovering from surgery. he'll be fine in the long run but i'd dump him if you got him on fantasy, it could be a while before he really produces.

ThaDubs
11-05-2013, 02:22 AM
Anthony Bennett is now 0-15 from the field in his first 4 games.

He recently said on Twitter:

"I'm going ghost for a bit, think it's best for me at this point...if you don't have my number DM me"

May not be thread worthy but what does this mean? I don't know how you can go ghost in the NBA... what, is he not going to be playing games, is he going to the D-League??

spreadeagle
11-05-2013, 02:25 AM
^^^ nope. certainly not a great start for the #1 pick but I think he's probably not in the best situation in CLE, he doesn't really have a position yet and is still likely recovering from surgery. he'll be fine in the long run but i'd dump him if you got him on fantasy, it could be a while before he really produces.
I dont know how the coach isnt like hey Kyrie get this kid a hoop a soon plz

sixer04fan
11-05-2013, 02:27 AM
It means he's staying off twitter for a while.

Probably just wants to eliminate the distractions and critics so he can focus more on his game.

ThaDubs
11-05-2013, 02:29 AM
Okay then /thread

lol, please
11-05-2013, 02:29 AM
:laugh2: @ thadubs.

Still love ya man.

ThaDubs
11-05-2013, 02:32 AM
:laugh2: @ thadubs.

Still love ya man.

lmao #idontusetwitter #hashtag :facepalm:

tredigs
11-05-2013, 02:40 AM
Yeah, basically just means he's depressed and wants to stay away from the distractions of twitter while he tries to figure out the NBA. The pressure of a #1 is no joke, and he wasn't a guy who goes in the top 5 in many other drafts. It's going to be a battle, but he's a good player, he'll figure it out as long as he keeps pushing.

TorontoHuskies
11-05-2013, 02:42 AM
I dont know how the coach isnt like hey Kyrie get this kid a hoop a soon plz

That's what i'm saying he benches Bennett the second irving comes out and only gives the guy like 12 minutes a game. Bennett also looks like he hates his team, I noticed he didn't high five anyone when they subbed out.

TorontoHuskies
11-05-2013, 02:44 AM
Nah I actually thought Alec Burks was a rookie.

Although that is a pretty funny coincidence. XD

**** You PS4 is the best even the guys who make NBA 2k14 say that they won't touch an X1 because Ps4 is so much better.

ACanadian
11-05-2013, 02:49 AM
Bennett is trying to get on the Raptors roster is all /thread.

TorontoHuskies
11-05-2013, 03:27 AM
Bennett is trying to get on the Raptors roster is all /thread.

You can tell he's leaving for Toronto the second he can. 1)The guy gets Toronto tattooed on his forearm basically as soon as he signed his first contract 2) one preseason game where he looked good he said he did it after Thompson told him to do it for Toronto and almost forgot the name of Cleveland's team haha 3) he spent as much of his summer in Toronto as he could when he probably should have been training in Cleveland 4) He doesn't highfive anyone on Cleveland and looks like he hates it there already. Just send him here Cleveland your killing his career it's not fair that the #1 pick has to go to a good team where he can't even get the minutes to live up to the hype.

WITZ
11-05-2013, 04:01 AM
You can tell he's leaving for Toronto the second he can. 1)The guy gets Toronto tattooed on his forearm basically as soon as he signed his first contract 2) one preseason game where he looked good he said he did it after Thompson told him to do it for Toronto and almost forgot the name of Cleveland's team haha 3) he spent as much of his summer in Toronto as he could when he probably should have been training in Cleveland 4) He doesn't highfive anyone on Cleveland and looks like he hates it there already. Just send him here Cleveland your killing his career it's not fair that the #1 pick has to go to a good team where he can't even get the minutes to live up to the hype.

:laugh: I hope you aren't serious yeah Cleveland is killing his hype its there fault he is 0-12 from the field he is killing his own hype. He is a mess complete mess on the court only thing he is doing well atm is rebounding the ball. Btw You got a link for point #2 because that sounds like BS. Maybe he spent much of his time in Toronto because he has shoulder season in the offseason and couldn't do anything physical not even ride the stationary bikes hence why he is fat and out of shape & attempting to throw out not high fiving someone as a valid reason he hates his team already :laugh2:

Vinny642
11-05-2013, 04:56 AM
Yeah this thread was already figured out

TorontoHuskies
11-05-2013, 05:01 AM
:laugh: I hope you aren't serious yeah Cleveland is killing his hype its there fault he is 0-12 from the field he is killing his own hype. He is a mess complete mess on the court only thing he is doing well atm is rebounding the ball. Btw You got a link for point #2 because that sounds like BS. Maybe he spent much of his time in Toronto because he has shoulder season in the offseason and couldn't do anything physical not even ride the stationary bikes hence why he is fat and out of shape & attempting to throw out not high fiving someone as a valid reason he hates his team already :laugh2:

Mike Brown is an awful coach why wouldn't he draw a couple plays up for him or something to get that 1st FG?

here's the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n923RRkacxI

Heediot
11-05-2013, 07:24 AM
Haven't seen him play this season but from the past it appears he is in love with his shooting, which IMO is streaky. Take some easy shots and let the game come to you.

He'll still be a solid player in his career probably a 15 ppg guy, his efficiency I hope it gets better for the sake of us Canadians. Still a reach first overall pick.

Sumeet Tatla
11-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Cavs always make the most ******** draft picks.

TorontoHuskies
11-05-2013, 09:15 AM
Cavs always make the most ******** draft picks.

They drafted irving and thompson so I don't know about that.

pebloemer
11-05-2013, 09:47 AM

Probably mixed up names with Trey Burke?

ACanadian
11-05-2013, 09:52 AM

What can he do? Cleveland's second unit is trash, they play him at role-player minutes with no one finding him good looks. If he played with Kyle Lowry, he would be a 16 PPG 6-8 rebound player at 32 minutes.

mp3
11-05-2013, 10:17 AM
What can he do? Cleveland's second unit is trash, they play him at role-player minutes with no one finding him good looks. If he played with Kyle Lowry, he would be a 16 PPG 6-8 rebound player at 32 minutes.

Based off of what?

Arch Stanton
11-05-2013, 10:24 AM

Right now the Cavs second unit might be playing better than the first unit. The second unit features: Bynum, Jack, Miles, Gee, and Bennett. Don't know how you can call that trash?

b@llhog24
11-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Bust....

MonroeFAN
11-05-2013, 10:42 AM
He'll turn it around.

dnl123
11-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Bust....

Depends on who we are comparing him to. You guys gotta remember that a bust is only as big as their hype was, and this guy had no hype or expectation surrounding him. In fact most people knew that this years draft was one of the weakest ever. So yes he's a bust because there's others playing better than him in the draft, but not a huge bust because nobody expected much from him anyways.

WITZ
11-05-2013, 12:54 PM
He'll turn it around.

Canadians coming to the defense of Bennett slow start :laugh2: , But i agree with this comment.

justinnum1
11-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Great job cavs, these are the kind of moves that will make lebron want to return

LOL

Vinny642
11-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Why bait? Bandwagoners have NO authority to bait anyone....

justinnum1
11-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Why bait? Bandwagoners have NO authority to bait anyone....

Check my history, not a bandwagoner. nice try kid.

Vinny642
11-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Check my history, not a bandwagoner. nice try kid.

Aha, what history, since Wade won his, his first time? Still counts as hopping on the bandwagon man. Its fine, Bandwagoners gonna act like they know basketball.... its funny watching things like that unfold.

Tony_Starks
11-05-2013, 03:20 PM
The kid seems kindof soft. He was talking about leaving twitter and all this stuff. I'm sure he's taking a beating on there but come on dude man up, don't go Kwame on us!

Vinny642
11-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Never go FULL Kwame

Hustla23
11-05-2013, 03:49 PM
If the Cavs were going to just pick someone who wasn't projected in the top 3, why didn't they just draft Oladipo? Considering the fact that he's a defensive minded guard, he would have fit great next to Kyrie IMO and then you wouldn't have the logjam of having to play Thompson and Bennet.

All-In
11-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Great job cavs, these are the kind of moves that will make lebron want to return

LOL

I agree…the Cavs are looking less enticing by the day for LeBron…Bennett is a potential MAJOR bust…Dion Waiters is overrated so far 8.54 PER and shooting 33% 12 shots a gm per espn…and I like Kyrie as much as the next guy…but hes injury prone…he was at Duke and still is now…that doesn’t bode well for a 21year old superstar…I still think its 50-50 Lebron stays or goes…and its still early in the season maybe the Cavs will turn it around….but the path there on right now…no way Lebron goes to Cleveland

DeyAce
11-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Still don't get how he went 1st. I wouldn't of touched him in the top 15

Nycbball08
11-05-2013, 04:05 PM
He'll be ok, Lebron couldn't throw a rock in the ocean his first year either..

urban85disciple
11-05-2013, 04:10 PM
**** You PS4 is the best even the guys who make NBA 2k14 say that they won't touch an X1 because Ps4 is so much better.

Wth does this have to do with Anthony Bennett?

And I'm about 99% sure that what you said is 100% inaccurate.

That said, Bennett should've never gone first; not even is this poor excuse of a draft class. They should've taken Oladipo or McLemore, if not Porter. They already had Varejao and Thompson. Bennett could've continued the streak of #2 pick busts.

UPRock
11-05-2013, 04:40 PM
They needed Oladipo, not Bennett. Hopefully he begins to play better, life of a bust shouldn't be easy.

lajoie
11-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Chris Grant's drafting as Cavs GM has been real questionable. His one saving grace was lucking into the first overall pick to get Irving

ottograham14
11-05-2013, 05:02 PM
I wanted Oladipo the whole time to run 3 Guard sets with Dion and KI but once again how much would that have accomplished for the team moving forward as they would have still struggled to spread and open up the floor for three slashers.

Bennett is a young rookie with only 4 games played so far, coming off an offseason shoulder injury where he still does not have conditioning or understanding of how he is going to fit into the NBA with being a hybrid type 3/4. This year they will try slowing things down with him just focusing on being a 4 but he is pressing at this time and forcing too many things instead of letting the game come to him. Is he a bust, NO. Give it an F'ing break with bust talk after 4 games into the season. He is going to need to get his conditioning under control and let the game come to him as a hustle option off the bench that can get hot from time to time. He is a big piece of the team moving forward but does not have to be heavily relied upon at this time such as an Oladipo in Orlando due to the depth the Cavs have created and Tristan playing very well so far to start the year. Its only November. Lets give it a little bit of time people.

todu82
11-05-2013, 05:16 PM
It's only a week into the season, way to early to criticize these draft picks as being busts.

spreadeagle
11-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Never go FULL Kwame

lmao

TorontoHuskies
11-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Wth does this have to do with Anthony Bennett?

And I'm about 99% sure that what you said is 100% inaccurate.

That said, Bennett should've never gone first; not even is this poor excuse of a draft class. They should've taken Oladipo or McLemore, if not Porter. They already had Varejao and Thompson. Bennett could've continued the streak of #2 pick busts.

I was referring to that JNA guys gif...and yea it's pretty much a fact that the PS4 is better just look at how much better Bf4 looks on the PS4. All X1 does is a bunch of useless ***** that any high-end TV already does but better.

As for Bennett yea this draft pick doesn't make sense for Cleveland he would have done much better somewhere else IMO.

Buckwheat
11-05-2013, 07:08 PM
This thread is ridiculous.

jp611
11-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Chris Grant's drafting as Cavs GM has been real questionable. His one saving grace was lucking into the first overall pick to get Irving

Tristan Thompson says Hi

NoahH
11-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Yeah its not the missed shots that bothers me, that's just a cold spell. The fact that he's slow, fat and out of shape is the main issue. He's got Robert Traylor / Derrick Coleman / Eddy Curry written all over him!

ACanadian
11-05-2013, 07:56 PM
He's not fat, he has a mans body.

TorontoHuskies
11-05-2013, 10:44 PM

He definitely is fat right now you can see his huge gut through his shirt.

TheRazorboy
11-05-2013, 10:51 PM

Well, yeah.

More specifically, a fat man's body.

hotdalton18
11-05-2013, 10:52 PM
AB will be an all star in his 3 rd or 4th year

NBA_Starter
11-05-2013, 10:57 PM
I think he is still out of shape from that injury.

WITZ
11-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Well, yeah.

More specifically, a fat man's body.

:laugh:

NBA_Starter
11-05-2013, 11:56 PM
Hopefully he can lose some fat.

jam
11-06-2013, 03:16 AM
Cavs hire Mike Brown and draft Anthony Bennett. Way to rebuild, cavs!

WITZ
11-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Finally get his 1st basket :clap:

Arch Stanton
11-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Bennett his his first shot. Does that mean this thread is now closed?

krazylegz
11-06-2013, 10:05 PM
tre ball!!...he now has more points then narlens noel

jakedajewler
11-06-2013, 10:22 PM
lay of the guy he will be fine onces he drops 10-20 lbs

ACanadian
11-06-2013, 10:25 PM
I told you Bennet was gonna be a star, look at that guy work.

Deception
11-06-2013, 10:50 PM
I told you Bennet was gonna be a star, look at that guy work.

He hit one shot, he's shooting 25% for the field and is somewhere around 1 for 20 for the season. How does that make him a star?

NBA_Starter
11-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Hopefully he is being sarcastic.

TorontoHuskies
11-06-2013, 11:01 PM
He hit one shot, he's shooting 25% for the field and is somewhere around 1 for 20 for the season. How does that make him a star?

Bennett is very unlucky to be drafted by the cavs. He's a guy that prefers to play inside the paint and right now he can't because bynum is the only guy they will give the ball to in the post. Bynum is the only reason he ever went in the slump in the first place, when Bynum was injured in the preseason Bennett was able to play his game without anyone getting in the way and now he only gets the ball behind the three. I expect Bennett to start to come out of his shell when Bynum is moved to the starting 5 or hopefully injured again.

krisxsong
11-06-2013, 11:29 PM

Judging a draft class 4-5 games into their careers is ridiculous.

WARRIORS@GR
11-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Bennett is very unlucky to be drafted by the cavs. He's a guy that prefers to play inside the paint and right now he can't because bynum is the only guy they will give the ball to in the post. Bynum is the only reason he ever went in the slump in the first place, when Bynum was injured in the preseason Bennett was able to play his game without anyone getting in the way and now he only gets the ball behind the three. I expect Bennett to start to come out of his shell when Bynum is moved to the starting 5 or hopefully injured again.:facepalm::facepalm:

NBA_Starter
11-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Judging a draft class 4-5 games into their careers is ridiculous.

It looks like they would learn from the early Philly overreaction.

Tmath
11-06-2013, 11:42 PM
Bennett is very unlucky to be drafted by the cavs. He's a guy that prefers to play inside the paint and right now he can't because bynum is the only guy they will give the ball to in the post. Bynum is the only reason he ever went in the slump in the first place, when Bynum was injured in the preseason Bennett was able to play his game without anyone getting in the way and now he only gets the ball behind the three. I expect Bennett to start to come out of his shell when Bynum is moved to the starting 5 or hopefully injured again.

You obviously don't know much about Bennett. He doesn't have a post game, 90% of his game is facing up.

Melo15
11-06-2013, 11:43 PM

Classy.

NBA_Starter
11-06-2013, 11:45 PM
There is no need for all that.

ACanadian
11-07-2013, 12:15 AM
Bennett would be really good for the Raptors, sure he's playing like Kwame Brown right now but, Bennett will thrive next year when we go for the championship with Wiggins, Bennett will get us loses this year and get us 30-40 next year, perfect for us. See, it's all a part of a plan... for Bennett, Masai and Toronto.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-07-2013, 12:19 AM
He's at 265 they said I believe.

He played at 240 back at UNLV. He's too slow ATM to play to his strengths and he can't really use that extra weight since he's just so short.

I don't think he'll be anything special but he should play better than this.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-07-2013, 12:20 AM
You obviously don't know much about Bennett. He doesn't have a post game, 90% of his game is facing up.

Lol this. His offense was all jump shots, drives and put backs.

WITZ
11-07-2013, 12:42 AM
Bennett would be really good for the Raptors, sure he's playing like Kwame Brown right now but, Bennett will thrive next year when we go for the championship with Wiggins, Bennett will get us loses this year and get us 30-40 next year, perfect for us. See, it's all a part of a plan... for Bennett, Masai and Toronto.

He is a Cavalier for the next 4 years of his contract most likely so.... keep on dreaming :laugh2:

Raps18-19 Champ
11-07-2013, 12:45 AM
He is a Cavalier for the next 4 years of his contract most likely so.... keep on dreaming :laugh2:

Rudy Gay for Bennett. Duh.