PDA

View Full Version : "Keep Gettin Dem Checks" All-Stars

DreamShaker
11-02-2013, 02:38 PM
I saw this on the Grantland NBA preview. Guys that are in the NBA for "veteran leadership" but rarely play and are washed up. Juwan Howard was the king last year, but is now a coach for Miami. So who are some of the guys who fit the bill this year?

BTW I think these guys are valuable, and are on those teams for a reason.

Swashcuff
11-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Marcus Camby, Fisher, Juwan Howard up until last season

beasted86
11-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Juwan Howard made like $300k as a March pickup for the prorated minimum.

The king is Marcus Camby who made over $4M last year, another $4M buyout by the Raptors, then got another $1.4 from the Rockets as guaranteed vet minimum for full season. He is gettin' dem checks.

beasted86
11-02-2013, 02:52 PM
It doesn't fit your description, but Richard Jefferson is also gettin' dem' checks. $11M salary, and he wouldn't be a starter or rotation player on 75% of the teams.

Gilbert Arenas is also still gettin' dem checks, and he hasn't been in the NBA this season or last.

SMH!
11-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Kwame Brown, I dont know how he does it

Clippersfan86
11-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Billups last year lol.

PrettyBoyJ
11-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Elton Brand

mightybosstone
11-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Obviously Camby and Fisher are up there, but there are other guys in the conversation. Keith Bogans deserves some consideration. The guy is at the end of a very thin, bad Celtics team, but he's making $5 million this year and barely contributes. Miami has sort of been the king of this category the past few years, and Rashard Lewis is a guy who stands out this season. Battier isn't too far from that conversation, but as long as he can play decent defense and nail corner 3s, he'll have some usefulness.

And I hate to say it about him, because I adored the guy in Houston, but Chuck Hayes has kind of become that guy in Sacramento. He plays fewer and fewer minutes every season, and that trend should continue. He's played only 23 minutes in two games for a thin front court in Sacramento and makes $5 million a year.

mightybosstone
11-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Elton Brand

I still think he's got some solid defense and rebounding left in the tank, but he's definitely starting to lean in that direction. It doesn't help that he's playing behind a solid starting front court in Atlanta, but I thought he'd be getting more minutes than he's gotten so far. As the season progresses, I still think he'll end up with 15-20 minutes a game.

JEDean89
11-02-2013, 05:31 PM
IMO every young team should 2-3 vets like Juwan just to show the young guys what it takes to win and to help them develop. Guys like Mike Bibby should be on the Kings, commanding respect and basically acting as a 15th man coach. its way more productive then a guy who will spend the season in the d-league.

JerseyPalahniuk
11-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Obviously Camby and Fisher are up there, but there are other guys in the conversation. Keith Bogans deserves some consideration. The guy is at the end of a very thin, bad Celtics team, but he's making $5 million this year and barely contributes. Miami has sort of been the king of this category the past few years, and Rashard Lewis is a guy who stands out this season. Battier isn't too far from that conversation, but as long as he can play decent defense and nail corner 3s, he'll have some usefulness.

And I hate to say it about him, because I adored the guy in Houston, but Chuck Hayes has kind of become that guy in Sacramento. He plays fewer and fewer minutes every season, and that trend should continue. He's played only 23 minutes in two games for a thin front court in Sacramento and makes $5 million a year.

Keith Bogans - no. His salary is that high only to match contracts in the Nets trade. Got extremely luck (most he's ever been paid).

Rashard Lewis - nah. Making $1.4m (barely above vet's min) and its his final year.

Battier's salary ($3m) is pretty good value for both his on court value (what you mentioned) and off-court.

Kuya_Clive
11-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Kurt Thomas was like that. Big sexy

TrueFan420
11-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Mike aka "Da GOAT" James

CityofChaos
11-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Richard Jefferson

Almighty Push
11-03-2013, 07:27 AM
Steve Nash