PDA

View Full Version : Will there ever be another Sheed?

Chronz
11-01-2013, 05:52 PM
There will never be another character like Sheed, but Im talking strictly in terms of his game. I can count on 1 hand how many players in history have been able to go to work on the block, space you out to the 3pt line AND defend at a high level (at 4/5)on the other end. Thats either a sign of how rare guys like Sheed are or that I dont know NBA history as well as I think. Can you come up with 5 other Sheed prototypes or predecessors?

JasonJohnHorn
11-01-2013, 06:06 PM
In the past? I think Bill Laimbeer comes to mind. Great post defender, and great three-point shooter, though I don't remember his post moves being as good as Sheed, it was pretty good. He was also a much better rebounder than Sheed.

But yeah.. rare... although, Sheed spent a little too much time on the 3pt line (I speak as a Detroit fan), and his letting Robert Horry get wide open... ARGH!!!! lol

Chronz
11-01-2013, 06:22 PM
In the past? I think Bill Laimbeer comes to mind. Great post defender, and great three-point shooter, though I don't remember his post moves being as good as Sheed, it was pretty good. He was also a much better rebounder than Sheed.

But yeah.. rare... although, Sheed spent a little too much time on the 3pt line (I speak as a Detroit fan), and his letting Robert Horry get wide open... ARGH!!!! lol

OK so we got the hand count to 2. Sheed and Laimbeer. I thought of him too but didn't think too highly of his post game and overall defensive mobility+strength. Could be the fact that I didn't watch him regularly like I did Sheed. He was more of a Center than a versatile 4/5 man that Sheed could be IMO.

TrueFan420
11-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Sheed potentially could have gone down as the best pf ever if he had a different mind set.

Bruno
11-01-2013, 07:34 PM
will anthony davis ever develop a three point shot? all he has to do is shoot a 34% clip to be at sheeds level from behind the arch.

Swashcuff
11-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Given how perimeter oriented the game has become I think we will indeed see another Sheedesque player in the future.

BKLYNpigeon
11-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Dirk Novitzski.

Tony_Starks
11-01-2013, 08:00 PM
I don't think so. It wasn't that Sheeds offense was just great but he was also blocking like 100 shots a season. Set a record at the time for 100 3's and 100 blocks in a season. Used to go toe to toe with the best bigs in the business, single coverage.

The closest player I see to his skill set is Cousins but his range and defense aren't as nice....

Swashcuff
11-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Dirk Novitzski.

Dirk isn't a quarter of the defender that Sheed was.

TrueFan420
11-01-2013, 08:17 PM
Dirk Novitzski.

Dirk didn't have nearly the same post offense and isnt close to the defensive player sheed was

TrueFan420
11-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Given how perimeter oriented the game has become I think we will indeed see another Sheedesque player in the future.

I don't know about that. Sheed also had a very good post game that most big man outside shooters don't have as well as the defense that he brought.

Wrigheyes4MVP
11-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Kevin Love?

I guess he doesn't have the defense, but the offense and rebounding is all there.

TrueFan420
11-01-2013, 08:21 PM
will anthony davis ever develop a three point shot? all he has to do is shoot a 34% clip to be at sheeds level from behind the arch.
He's also gonna have to work on picking up T's too

TrueFan420
11-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Kevin Love?

I guess he doesn't have the defense, but the offense and rebounding is all there.
Love isn't that good in the post tho

Swashcuff
11-01-2013, 08:37 PM
I don't know about that. Sheed also had a very good post game that most big man outside shooters don't have as well as the defense that he brought.

Dirk has developed a great post game.

JasonJohnHorn
11-01-2013, 08:52 PM
OK so we got the hand count to 2. Sheed and Laimbeer. I thought of him too but didn't think too highly of his post game and overall defensive mobility+strength. Could be the fact that I didn't watch him regularly like I did Sheed. He was more of a Center than a versatile 4/5 man that Sheed could be IMO.

You are right. His post game wasn't 'great' by the standards of the day (though he'd likely throw the kids all over the place today, but that $#!T wouldn't have worked on Hakeem, Kareem, Parish, D-Rob and Ewing.

He defense was top notch though. He wasn't like Hakeem on D, but he was a really smart defender. He was one of the few guys who could defend Parish. He was a solid team defender especially, but he was good at getting guys out of position and making shots hard. He didn't get a lot of blocks, but he used to do this thing where he would swipe the ball out from the players hands before they even brought it up, which would usually knock the ball out of bounds or two a teammate, so it was just as good as a block, but he never got any statistical credit for it. Plus, he knew how to draw a charge. I miss that guy.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
11-01-2013, 11:47 PM
Players like Sheed seem to be one of a generation type of a player with that skill set. "The next Sheed" probably hasn't been drafted yet.

SugeKnight
11-02-2013, 12:39 AM
Will there ever be another Chronz?

TrueFan420
11-02-2013, 02:30 AM
Dirk has developed a great post game.

He has I will give him that but it was something he had to work hard on and developed it at an older age. And he's lacking the defensive side as well. Even he has improved that a little too.

Heediot
11-02-2013, 08:00 AM
Bargnani had the potential physically. I think his iq and work ethic failed him.

Swashcuff
11-02-2013, 08:55 AM
He has I will give him that but it was something he had to work hard on and developed it at an older age. And he's lacking the defensive side as well. Even he has improved that a little too.

Well I did say earlier that Sheed is much better defensively than Dirk, Sheed also took time to develop his post game, hell every basketball player post game usually gets better the more they play.

dnl123
11-02-2013, 09:17 AM
KG was a lot like Sheed except he didn't shoot 3's much.

ewing
11-02-2013, 09:19 AM

Laimbeer had no post game. He was an elite defender and certainly was strong

ewing
11-02-2013, 09:21 AM

Good answer. He dooesn't quite have the range Sheed did but i should have thought of him

ewing
11-02-2013, 09:23 AM
I healthy LJ could defend the 4 well, had range, and great post game. Too short to defend the 5 and protect the rim though. If DC had any interest in defensive he'd be on this list and i think Billy Owens could have been if he stayed healthy. Sam Perkins also comes to mind and i think in todays game McHale's range would have been extended.

JasonJohnHorn
11-02-2013, 09:41 AM
I healthy LJ could defend the 4 well, had range, and great post game. Too short to defend the 5 and protect the rim though. If DC had any interest in defensive he'd be on this list and i think Billy Owens could have been if he stayed healthy. Sam Perkins also comes to mind and i think in todays game McHale's range would have been extended.

Ah... Larry Johnson. The what ifs....

Johnson was AMAZING! Had he never gotten that back injury, he likely would have never bothered getting that 3pt shot, but after the back injury he needed a new way to play.... I have never seen a post player re-invent his game that way. He had NO 3pt shot at all, couldn't work the post the way he used to after an injury and then all of a sudden, in one season, creates an entirely new game? WTF?!?! That was incredible.

It was a grossly underrated achievement on his part.

Blink
11-02-2013, 10:14 AM
When talking about Sheed you can't leave out the attitude. That was part of his game.

If he stayed in the post we could've repeated IMO.

Favorite player of all time

Chronz
11-02-2013, 10:38 AM
True but Im thinking about non-franchise guys, All-Stars in their own right but Sheed is at his most valuable when hes fitting in IMO.

Chronz
11-02-2013, 10:42 AM

Nailed the only other guys who came to mind, save for McHale. Thats another franchise caliber guy to me.

ewing
11-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Ah... Larry Johnson. The what ifs....

Johnson was AMAZING! Had he never gotten that back injury, he likely would have never bothered getting that 3pt shot, but after the back injury he needed a new way to play.... I have never seen a post player re-invent his game that way. He had NO 3pt shot at all, couldn't work the post the way he used to after an injury and then all of a sudden, in one season, creates an entirely new game? WTF?!?! That was incredible.

It was a grossly underrated achievement on his part.

great post. i think too often these don't get recognized for the work they put it b/c we see them as primadonnas. While that maybe the case sometimes most of them have incredible work ethic when it comes to the game

RLundi
11-02-2013, 01:40 PM
DeMarcus Cousins. Both in talent/ability and in temperament.

TrueFan420
11-02-2013, 02:30 PM
DeMarcus Cousins. Both in talent/ability and in temperament.

Not bad but cousins isn't the defender or shooter that sheed was

Heediot
11-03-2013, 06:47 AM
Anthony Mason was a beastly all around combo forward. Great Handles, can post up, play d with the best of them. No range though.

R. Johnson#3
11-03-2013, 07:29 AM
No, there will never be another Sheed. In today's NBA you get a technical foul for looking at someone.

Trueblue2
11-03-2013, 08:16 AM
How was Sabonis' post game? I know he could shoot the 3 and wasn't a slouch on D.

ewing
11-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Anthony Mason was a beastly all around combo forward. Great Handles, can post up, play d with the best of them. No range though.[QUOTE]

in college Mas was actually a solid 3 point shooter. He also put on about 45 lbs of muscle b/t college and making his spot in the NBA. I think the mass messed up his mechanics but allowed him to have an NBA career as a bruiser.