PDA

View Full Version : Raptors; "Everyone is available... except from..."

Goose17
11-01-2013, 03:36 PM
The Toronto Raptors are prepared to overhaul their roster under new general manager Masai Ujiri.

The Raptors are evaluating how their pieces fit, but nearly every player can be made available except for one.

"Anyone but [Jonas] Valanciunas," said one source.

Rudy Gay is making nearly $18 million this season and can opt out in the offseason, making him an intriguing candidate for the Raptors to move. DeMar DeRozan is on a new extension given by Bryan Colangelo, while Kyle Lowry will be a free agent in the offseason.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

Hawkeye15
11-01-2013, 03:45 PM
An advanced stats guy takes over Gay's team and wants him gone asap.

Sense a theme?

Goose17
11-01-2013, 03:46 PM

Sense a theme?

His contract is going to make him close to impossible to move. His production doesn't merit that money.

RipCity32
11-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Could Gay play SG on a nightly basis?

Westbrook36
11-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Could Gay play SG on a nightly basis?

Nope

valade16
11-01-2013, 04:05 PM

Sense a theme?

Would your opinion of Rudy Gay change if his contract were cut in half, so $9 million instead of $18 million?

Hellcrooner
11-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Would your opinion of Rudy Gay change if his contract were cut in half, so $9 million instead of $18 million?

not mine.

Black holes are blackholes no matter the amount of the contrat.

I dont want blackholes on my team.

Goose17
11-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Edit; Wrong thread.

Hawkeye15
11-01-2013, 04:10 PM
His contract is going to make him close to impossible to move. His production doesn't merit that money.

I used to think Joe Johnson's contract was impossible to move. There are still a bunch of GM's that will make stupid trades.

Hawkeye15
11-01-2013, 04:10 PM

my opinion of his play? No. My opinion of his contract versus worth? Yes

deaner
11-01-2013, 04:19 PM
I used to think Joe Johnson's contract was impossible to move. There are still a bunch of GM's that will make stupid trades.

the raptors are buyers in this market. ownership has given the green light to spend. If Masai feels Gay doesn't want to stay here long term or fit the roster he's building... there are trades out the of course. Philly comes to mind.

ghettosean
11-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Why wouldn't teams want Gay? His contract is big yes but he will also be off the books at the end of the year if he doesn't step it up... It just depends what other teams are looking for really.

pebloemer
11-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Why wouldn't teams want Gay? His contract is big yes but he will also be off the books at the end of the year if he doesn't step it up... It just depends what other teams are looking for really.

Gay has a player option for next year at over 19 million.

N3TS
11-01-2013, 04:34 PM
I think this has been known for awhile ever since Ujiri took over the team. Obviously they won't move Jonas, the kid's got the talent to move forward and be a great NBA player for a while.

Though they have been loath to share it around, the Raptors have already set themselves an early deadline.
According to someone involved in the process, the current group has 45 days from the start of tomorrow’s NBA season to prove that they are not only a playoff team, but a sustainable one.
Even this season’s most optimistic performance target — squeaking into the top eight in the Eastern Conference — may not be enough.
“7-Eleven,” one source said. “That’s where you get diabetes.”
If the team does not appear viable by mid-December, they will begin to dismantle it ahead of the most promising draft class in a decade.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/2013/10/30/raptors_cue_the_teardown_if_team_doesnt_take_fligh t_kelly.html

valade16
11-01-2013, 04:39 PM
my opinion of his play? No. My opinion of his contract versus worth? Yes

The latter was what I was getting at. Every players value on the court is directly tied to their cap hit off it.

I think this has been known for awhile ever since Ujiri took over the team. Obviously they won't move Jonas, the kid's got the talent to move forward and be a great NBA player for a while.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/2013/10/30/raptors_cue_the_teardown_if_team_doesnt_take_fligh t_kelly.html

The fact that it is such a loaded draft could make it incredibly hard to move any of their players. Would you swap the potential of the 10th pick in this draft for Rudy Gay? Probably not...

Hawkeye15
11-01-2013, 04:45 PM
the raptors are buyers in this market. ownership has given the green light to spend. If Masai feels Gay doesn't want to stay here long term or fit the roster he's building... there are trades out the of course. Philly comes to mind.

why would Philly's new GM make that mistake after all the good decisions he has made the last 6 months?

Hawkeye15
11-01-2013, 04:45 PM

he makes a ton of money to be an average starter. That is why

Hawkeye15
11-01-2013, 04:46 PM
The latter was what I was getting at. Every players value on the court is directly tied to their cap hit off it.

The fact that it is such a loaded draft could make it incredibly hard to move any of their players. Would you swap the potential of the 10th pick in this draft for Rudy Gay? Probably not...

agreed

spreadeagle
11-01-2013, 05:11 PM
he makes a ton of money to be an average starter. That is why
Plz, average? people talk like the guys a scrub because hes overpaid. Guys like JJ Redick n Gordon Hayword are getting 8-12 mil type deals, your telling me Rudy gay isnt worth 10-12. Id rather pay a guy like Rudy 18 mil for what he does than pay the many players in the NBA making 7-10 mil who do hardly anything to help there teams

ramsizzle
11-01-2013, 05:13 PM
I'd trade Deng for him :hide: The bulls need a secondary ball handler and with the locker room and coach that the bulls have i think he could succeed.

Theyhateme459
11-01-2013, 05:15 PM
I know it is not reasonable, but I would love to see Gay end up with the clippers... I think a wing player like him who can create his own offense could really push them to the next level.

Clippersfan86
11-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Plz, average? people talk like the guys a scrub because hes overpaid. Guys like JJ Redick n Gordon Hayword are getting 8-12 mil type deals, your telling me Rudy gay isnt worth 10-12. Id rather pay a guy like Rudy 18 mil for what he does than pay the many players in the NBA making 7-10 mil who do hardly anything to help there teams

JJ Redick makes a very reasonable 6.3 million a year actually and Hayward hasn't gotten an extension so don't talk about next years deals and apply them to today. We will find out what Hayward gets next year.

Clippersfan86
11-01-2013, 05:17 PM
I know it is not reasonable, but I would love to see Gay end up with the clippers... I think a wing player like him who can create his own offense could really push them to the next level.

It would undo what we are trying to do.. which is elevate CP3+Griffin+DJ as our go to core for years to come. Adding a guy who likes to take 15 shots a game will take away from Blake the most and he doesn't move the ball or defend like Barnes/Dudley.

spreadeagle
11-01-2013, 05:20 PM
JJ Redick makes a very reasonable 6.3 million a year actually and Hayward hasn't gotten an extension so don't talk about next years deals and apply them to today. We will find out what Hayward gets next year.
I like Redick , his deals not bad, ill bet ya Hayward gets at least 10, I could name like 50 others im just to lazy to them up, my point is hes not that overpaid...overpaid yes but that doesnt take away his skill, the Raps were something like 17-30 without Gay and when they got him were 500 team the second half of the year, he does get you W's

Max.This
11-01-2013, 05:24 PM
I like Redick , his deals not bad, ill bet ya Hayward gets at least 10, I could name like 50 others im just to lazy to them up, my point is hes not that overpaid...overpaid yes but that doesnt take away his skill, the Raps were something like 17-30 without Gay and when they got him were 500 team the second half of the year, he does get you W's

You can take amare, we don't want anything in return

spreadeagle
11-01-2013, 05:25 PM
You can take amare, we don't want anything in return
we will throw ya Landry Fields back

spreadeagle
11-01-2013, 05:29 PM
amyway, I like Gay to Detroit if they do blow in up, or Charlotte maybe Cavs. Tristan Thompson n Varejoa for Gay n Ross, or to Char for MKG and a bunch of fillers. No way I wanna get rid of Derozan unless its a good deal, hes looked much improved

Hawkeye15
11-01-2013, 05:36 PM

I may have under stated it a bit, he is above average, but not by a lot. He isn't sniffing all star level play unless he suddenly realizes that chucking long 2's, and never getting to the line is not the best way to help your team if you are going to shoot a ton.

For example, Amir Johnson starts next to him, and provides the same RAPM. He gets paid around $6.5 million.

Clippersfan86
11-01-2013, 05:38 PM
It is intriguing to imagine him next to a floor general like CP3 and a coach like Doc who won't tolerate any bullsh**.

deaner
11-01-2013, 06:00 PM
why would Philly's new GM make that mistake after all the good decisions he has made the last 6 months?

The acquisition of picks and to ensure they are in full tank mode. They sent going to resign hawes and turner anyway.

The other destination in Detroit. Move Josh to the 4. Raps take on extra salary into the tax and give a course pics for Monroe. They will have a hard time affording him long term.

Chronz
11-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Id offer Dudley+Crawford if his contract werent so gigantic. He'd be great if he could accept a 6th man role.

Stunner
11-01-2013, 06:07 PM
I would love the Bulls to get Ross

rapjuicer06
11-01-2013, 06:10 PM
I'd love Ross on Orlando

Eagles4Lyfe
11-01-2013, 06:18 PM
I wouldn't mind Ross to the Magic for a ****** contract and your unprotected lotto pick:p

I'm not a fan of blowing this core up, I think they can make playoffs and make noise, but whatever Masai does I support since he's the new general and I'm the puppet.

rapjuicer06
11-01-2013, 06:50 PM
lol never

Hawkeye15
11-01-2013, 06:59 PM
The acquisition of picks and to ensure they are in full tank mode. They sent going to resign hawes and turner anyway.

The other destination in Detroit. Move Josh to the 4. Raps take on extra salary into the tax and give a course pics for Monroe. They will have a hard time affording him long term.

If I am Detroit, I would have not signed Smith anyways. So maybe your move fits

TheHebrewHammer
11-01-2013, 07:24 PM
I think the most obvious trade scenario out there is Milwaukee.

They clearly have no interest in a lengthy rebuilding period, they have already shown a willingness to trade for expiring players in Reddick, and they have big holes at the 3 and 1.

Im thinking we package Lowry and Gay for Giannis, Expirings and picks. That makes the team immediately very bad and gives 2 intriguing pieces for the future in Giannis and their first.

SugeKnight
11-02-2013, 05:14 AM
Warriors should try to get Lowry somehow.

Heediot
11-02-2013, 08:03 AM
Gay is inconsistent as ****.

jp611
11-02-2013, 09:04 AM
If I am Detroit, I would have not signed Smith anyways. So maybe your move fits

Jennings, Gay, and Smith on the same team :laugh2:

Holy **** could you imagine how bad they would be offensively

Manimal
11-02-2013, 09:35 AM
Monroe + Charlie V expiring for Rudy Gay.

It's basically an expiring contract for Gay. He will most likely opt out at the end of the season to get a long term deal. He's not as good as his deal, but if you can resign him for 4 year 44M next year, he's pretty accurately paid. It's hard to find a 20ppg scorer at the 3. It's slim pickings after LeBron, KD and Melo.

waveycrockett
11-02-2013, 09:58 AM
If the Raptors are just looking to shed salary I could see the Nets being interested in Gay. Nobody is going to take on that contract and give up anything worthwhile except cap relief.

Heediot
11-02-2013, 10:29 AM

It's basically an expiring contract for Gay. He will most likely opt out at the end of the season to get a long term deal. He's not as good as his deal, but if you can resign him for 4 year 44M next year, he's pretty accurately paid. It's hard to find a 20ppg scorer at the 3. It's slim pickings after LeBron, KD and Melo.

Raptors would do that in a heartbeat!

I would even take Smith for Gay if they offered that.

Goose17
11-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Warriors should try to get Lowry somehow.

No thanks. Guy has an attitude problem. We don't need any of that, our chemistry is too good to have him come in and **** it all up.

RipCity32
11-02-2013, 11:27 AM

Why would we trade Monroe for Gay lol.

AddiX
11-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Landry Fields....

LoL

WARRIORS@GR
11-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Monroe for Gay?:laugh:

jp611
11-02-2013, 02:12 PM
And why would Gay opt out of 19 million to sign a 4 yr 44 million deal

He'd be a moron to not pick up his option

deaner
11-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Landry Fields....

LoL

Still better nba player than Bargnani

Here's one for ya,

Chris Smith
He plays for the NY Knicks

meloman1592
11-02-2013, 02:52 PM

Here's one for ya,

Chris Smith

Lmao shut up. Stop trying to make yourself feel good

LanceUpperCut
11-02-2013, 03:21 PM

Here's one for ya,

Chris Smith

So true.

TorontoHuskies
11-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Rudy Gay to the Cavs for one of their Canadians (preferable Tristan Thompson) makes sense since they need a proper SF and they got too many good 4's

TorontoHuskies
11-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Rudy Gay is one of the dumbest players in the league....

TorontoHuskies
11-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Toronto roster next year
PG Tyler Ennis Cory Joseph
SG Wiggins/?????
SF Bennett/ Kris Joseph
PF Tristan Thompson/Dwight Powell
C Dalembert/ Robert Sacre

Tmath
11-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Toronto roster next year
SG Wiggins/?????
SF Bennett/ Kris Joseph

Team Canada maybe, not Raptors though.

aman_13
11-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Toronto roster next year
SG Wiggins/?????
SF Bennett/ Kris Joseph

lol Imagine if the Raps went all Canadian, all you would hear is USA chants every road game.

TorontoHuskies
11-02-2013, 03:46 PM
lol Imagine if the Raps went all Canadian, all you would hear is USA chants every road game.

That would be the greatest thing ever if the raps did that....Imagine the chemistry the Canadian team would have come the Olympics too. Then we can add Nicholson, Olynyk, Trey Lyles, Khem birch, and Oliver Hanlan from boston college as well.

Hellcrooner
11-02-2013, 04:48 PM
yes please take nash, just send us a second rounder and a ****** expiring.

AddiX
11-02-2013, 04:48 PM

Here's one for ya,

Chris Smith

here's one for you, chris smith for Landry fields...

Actually, nope, wouldn't even do that...

TorontoHuskies
11-02-2013, 05:04 PM
yes please take nash, just send us a second rounder and a ****** expiring.

We don't want nash he sucks balls.

Sadds The Gr8
11-02-2013, 05:27 PM
blow it up. this core sucks dick.

Cal827
11-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Pretty much what Saddler said. Blow this team up.

I want to see Gay and Lowry play tonight... on the Milwaukee Bucks lol

Quinnsanity
11-02-2013, 06:28 PM

Brooklyn has taught us that any contract is moveable. Johnson AND Gerald Wallace in less than a year.

xabial
11-02-2013, 06:43 PM
I dont know whats up with all the hate on Rudy Gay.

Rudy Gay WILL opt out after this year. He's 27 years old and was a solid #1 option on the Grizzlies before they stupiditly traded him for peanuts/cap relief because their cheap.

I expect him to have a better season this year after he had successful LASIK operation on his eyes this offseason. (Didn't know he was near sighted)

Guppyfighter
11-02-2013, 07:04 PM
I dont know whats up with all the hate on Rudy Gay.

Rudy Gay WILL opt out after this year. He's 27 years old and was a solid #1 option on the Grizzlies before they stupiditly traded him for peanuts/cap relief because their cheap.

I expect him to have a better season this year after he had successful LASIK operation on his eyes this offseason. (Didn't know he was near sighted)

Dirty little secret is they traded him because he sucks, not because they are cheap. Hollinger is the decision maker, he's not a fan of Gay. At all.

Lakers + Giants
11-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Dibs on Lowry. .

Straight up for Nash :p

koreancabbage
11-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Dibs on Lowry. .

Straight up for Nash :P

sorry but Nash is too good for this team. we need draft picks, if you have any left.

Lakers + Giants
11-02-2013, 07:28 PM
I just had a scary *** thought. Jim Buss signing Gay to a max deal, gay would be our 2014 FA after we strike out with the rest of the FAs. . . I can see it happening.

Lakers + Giants
11-02-2013, 07:29 PM
sorry but Nash is too good for this team. we need draft picks, if you have any left.

I know we have one this year, no way we trade that. I don't think we have one next year haha.

xabial
11-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Dirty little secret is they traded him because he sucks, not because they are cheap. Hollinger is the decision maker, he's not a fan of Gay. At all.

Most media reports ripped them for trading him for nothing. Even if a player is a cancer to the team, doesn't fit the coach's system, they could've gotten more value for him.

I beleive monta ellis was a worse player than Rudy Gay at the time(undersized guard who was a ball-hog with three years $33m left on his contract), and the warriors were able to trade him for value in Andrew Bogut.

What did the Grizzlies get back in the Rudy Gay trade, for a guard who was averaging 17.2 points and 5.9 rebounds? a 2013 2nd round draft pick? Jose Calderon(Who was flipped for a 32 year old Tayshaun prince with two and a half years $15-$18M left on his contract. Ed Davis who was passed for an extension and is averaging 2.5ppg and 3 rpg in 2 games so far?

It was a horrible trade. You trade Rudy Gay for a 1st rounder. Not a 32 year old Tayshaun Prince, a 2013 second rounder and Ed Davis.

Yeah the Grizzlies saved $40m in salaries by trading Gay. So WHAT? They get Luxury Tax Relief?

Jamiecballer
11-02-2013, 07:36 PM
i'd love to know what media reports you were reading. i'm gonna guess the Memphis Journal, The Memphis Times, and The Memphis Gazette. the national media almost unanimously declared them winners for that move.

IversonIsKrazy
11-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Gay gets a lot of hate. I understand he's overpaid, but hes an athletic scorer. Truth be told, I think Bulls would be better off with Rudy than Deng, especially with the emergence of Butler.

TorontoHuskies
11-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Gay gets a lot of hate. I understand he's overpaid, but hes an athletic scorer. Truth be told, I think Bulls would be better off with Rudy than Deng, especially with the emergence of Butler.

Rudy Gay has to have one of the lowest basketball IQ's in the league. He never passes (even out of double teams), and will keep shooting even after forcing 7 straight bricks in a row. The guy is basically a ******** version of Kobe without the skill or shot making ability.