PDA

View Full Version : Asik starting, Linsanity is the 6th man.

FOBolous
10-29-2013, 03:18 PM
http://rockets.clutchfans.net/5244/rockets-to-begin-season-with-beverley-asik-as-starters-lin-off-bench/

Thought this is relevant to the main nba forum since there's been a lot of discussion in the main forum about the role of both players.

LAKERMANIA
10-29-2013, 03:23 PM
Who's the starting point guard? Beverly?

FOBolous
10-29-2013, 03:24 PM
Who's the starting point guard? Beverly?

Yup

jstone0716
10-29-2013, 03:26 PM
Makes sense. This is a better role for Lin with the makeup of this team. He will still play 30+ mins a game and probably have his best season statistically and impact wise.

DamnGoat
10-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Smart move with Beverley. He's better than Lin anyway. I'm not sure about Asik starting next to Dwight though.

FOBolous
10-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Makes sense. This is a better role for Lin with the makeup of this team. He will still play 30+ mins a game and probably have his best season statistically and impact wise.

agreed. This is pretty much the consensus among rockets fans.

LeperMessiah
10-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Well, that's interesting.

Clippersfan86
10-29-2013, 03:39 PM
I like Beverley as the starter because his defense will balance much better with Harden, while allowing Lin to be an explosive scorer off the bench. They are only starting Asik so soon because they are playing the Bobcats probably lol. It will be less difficult than a Rockets scrimmage game.

xxplayerxx23
10-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Love it. Lin will thrive in the 2nd unit

Tony_Starks
10-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Lin is a really good backup pg.

Goose17
10-29-2013, 04:20 PM
This makes a lot of sense. The Lin part anyway...

D-Leethal
10-29-2013, 04:26 PM
The backcourt makes a lot of sense. Frontcourt doesn't. I will be interested to see what happens though.

Byronicle
10-29-2013, 04:28 PM
I don't like seeing Asik in the starting lineup. He's an energy hustle type of guy, which is what we like off the bench

Clippersfan86
10-29-2013, 05:23 PM
I don't like seeing Asik in the starting lineup. He's an energy hustle type of guy, which is what we like off the bench

It's vs the Bobcats though. For a team as talented as the Rockets your second string could probably beat them by 20.

beasted86
10-29-2013, 05:25 PM
I feel that Rockets team is imbalanced. I'm really hoping Terrence Jones has a mini breakout type year to help them along.

Chronz
10-29-2013, 05:26 PM
I hope this is a sign of trust in Asik/Dwight more than distrust in the project 4s they have.

I would rather see Lin with Dwight, hope he can earn the starting spot but yeah it seems to be the right move to make right now

beasted86
10-29-2013, 05:27 PM
It's vs the Bobcats though. For a team as talented as the Rockets your second string could probably beat them by 20.

The Bobcats will be better than people think. Things are different because they have no reason to tank because their pick goes to the Bulls unprotected. They will be fighting games out, and coach will hold team more accountable.

They will still suck, just saying they won't be as much of a pushover as previous years.

Chronz
10-29-2013, 05:28 PM
I feel that Rockets team is imbalanced. I'm really hoping Terrence Jones has a mini breakout type year to help them along.
Asik+lin for Bosh?

What more is that deal missing?

Clippersfan86
10-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Asik+lin for Bosh?

If Houston pulls that off, hand them the championship within 2 years IMO. Honestly that's an awesome trade idea IMO for both teams. Asik is the tough guy to control the paint that Miami NEEDS. Bosh is the exact versatile, stretch 4 Houston needs.

jstone0716
10-29-2013, 05:50 PM
Asik+lin for Bosh?

Only way they're breaking up the big 3 is if one of them walks next year.. otherwise I'm pretty sure they will all retire in Miami. Would be a great trade for both parties but just won't happen.. chemistry problems in middle of their three peat etc. Plus I think Bosh-Wade-James are all in some closet poly gayboy triangle of love

DreamShaker
10-29-2013, 05:58 PM
Only way they're breaking up the big 3 is if one of them walks next year.. otherwise I'm pretty sure they will all retire in Miami. Would be a great trade for both parties but just won't happen.. chemistry problems in middle of their three peat etc. Plus I think Bosh-Wade-James are all in some closet poly gayboy triangle of love

I always appreciate logical thoughts blended with pure nonsense. But I do agree you don't break up the Heatles yet.

Clippersfan86
10-29-2013, 06:01 PM
Actually according to a few Heat writers the Heat are likely to break up the big 3 after this season. I've heard talk about trading Bosh for over a year, maybe two due to the new CBA deal that's going to start piling up MASSIVE taxes on Miami next year. I highly doubt the "big 3" all retire on the Heat.

DreamShaker
10-29-2013, 06:02 PM
Asik+lin for Bosh?

On paper it's perfect. Not sure Miami is cold enough to do it. They have been pretty stubborn on getting rid of any major parts.

SportsFanatic10
10-29-2013, 06:40 PM
it's been said plenty, but i really think they need to trade asik. lin too if they can package them together for a good pf.

SportsFanatic10
10-29-2013, 06:42 PM
On paper it's perfect. Not sure Miami is cold enough to do it. They have been pretty stubborn on getting rid of any major parts.

lin isn't enough of an upgrade over chalmers and cole to justify it. the heat can play wade and james at the point when the games on the line anyways. better to have bosh as the 3rd scoring option and spacing the floor than asik as well, even though it'd be nice to have a true center asik is just too useless on the offensive end.

mightybosstone
10-29-2013, 06:47 PM
I hope this is a sign of trust in Asik/Dwight more than distrust in the project 4s they have.
I think it's a little bit of both, but I will admit that I was wrong about that frontcourt. They looked very, very good against San Antonio and Memphis in the last two preseason games for what it's worth. I thought they'd experiment with it, but I never thought in a million years they would start the season with both guys on the floor.

I would rather see Lin with Dwight, hope he can earn the starting spot but yeah it seems to be the right move to make right now
I'll admit that I loved the idea of the Lin and Dwight pick and roll, but I still think we'll get a ton of that with Harden and Dwight. Also the Beverely-Harden-Parsons-Dwight-Asik lineup is about as stifling a defense as there is in the NBA today. All the talk this offseason has been what Dwight will do for this team offensively, but that starting lineup has top 5-10 defensive potential in the NBA.

If the Rockets can manage to space the floor all season with that starting five and the offense doesn't get bogged down, this is going to be an insanely difficult lineup for teams to play. They'll outrebound you, you'll get no looks in the paint and opposing point guards will really struggle.

smiddy012
10-29-2013, 07:51 PM
Asik+lin for Bosh?

That would ****ing suck for the rest of the league.

Edit: Don't think Miami would have the cap room though.

thekmp211
10-29-2013, 07:57 PM
look for jones, smith and possibly casspi to log major minutes at the 4. parsons as well. one of the formerly mentioned three will either take the starting spot at some point during the season or houston makes a trade.

1-800-STFU
10-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Asik/Howard is beastly defensively

Saddletramp
10-29-2013, 08:36 PM
I bet playing a team crowded with bigs has something to do with it. Starting Howard/Asik seems to be a good idea against a team with Biyombo, Zeller and Jefferson.

NYKnicks4511
10-29-2013, 08:59 PM
I think they should start Motiejunas at the 4. The guy can play inside out and space the floor for Dwight as well. He's got pretty good fundamentals passing-wise as well. Teams are going to double off of Asik and converge on Dwight, who isn't exactly a great passer, and the turnovers will begin to pile up.

Defensively I think starting Asik should work out though.

Kashmir13579
10-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Asik+lin for Bosh?

If Lin goes to the Heat, i will go into a deep depression.

Ill21
10-29-2013, 09:22 PM
I like Beverley as the starter because his defense will balance much better with Harden, while allowing Lin to be an explosive scorer off the bench. They are only starting Asik so soon because they are playing the Bobcats probably lol. It will be less difficult than a Rockets scrimmage game.

Yeah, Lin is an ideal 6th man

DillyDill
10-29-2013, 11:19 PM
Why don't y'all think the towers can work?..they can flat out dominate the glass and have the paint on loccckksss

Blitzace137
10-29-2013, 11:41 PM
If Lin goes to the Heat, i will go into a deep depression.

He won't.

Blitzace137
10-29-2013, 11:46 PM
Lin and Howard P&R was looking pretty good in the pre-season but it makes sense for McHale to use him as the 6th man as well.

beasted86
10-30-2013, 12:10 AM
Asik+lin for Bosh?

This is like the 20th time I'm hearing this suggestion.

Asik and Lin suck for the HEAT. If people still think those types of guys are who we need after 4 years, you guys will simply never get it.

Chronz
10-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Asik+lin for Bosh?

This is like the 20th time I'm hearing this suggestion.

Asik and Lin suck for the HEAT. If people still think those types of guys are who we need after 4 years, you guys will simply never get it.
Cool story but u didn't answer the q

beasted86
10-30-2013, 11:40 AM
The deal is missing players that help the HEAT win... and players that give the team salary relief since their third years hike up to $15m and make the luxury tax worse.

mightybosstone
10-30-2013, 11:51 AM
The deal is missing players that help the HEAT win... and players that give the team salary relief since their third years hike up to $15m and make the luxury tax worse.

It would not make the luxury tax worse. In fact, it would give the Heat cap relief, because Lin and Asik combined count $3 million less toward the salary cap than Bosh would. Also, you claim the Heat need players who can help them "win games," but why can't Asik and Lin do that?

Asik was 17th in the NBA in RAPM last season, 2nd in TRB% and is one of the best defensive bigs in the game. Bosh is a lot of things, but he's not a great rebounder and he's hardly an elite defensive big. Miami struggled against teams like Indiana and San Antonio because they couldn't defender their bigs and they got pounded on the glass. Adding Asik would take away some of Miami's floor spacing, but it would immediately fix the biggest holes on their roster.

And Lin is nothing special, but he can create offense off the bench when Lebron and Wade are off the floor, something that Heat team has struggled to do in the past. Neither Asik or Lin will give you 15-20 points a night, but it's not like Bosh's scoring was a huge asset in the postseason last year, scoring a pathetic 12.1 points per game.

The Heat would admittedly miss Bosh's scoring and floor spacing, but Miami could easily run out a lineup of Chalmers-Wade-Battier-Lebron-Asik and have two elite scorers with three solid 3-point shooters on the floor at the same time. If they wanted to maximize their floor spacing, they could get Allen more minutes at SG with Chalmers-Allen-Battier-Lebron on the floor at the same time with Asik anchoring the defense and the glass.

Bottom line, I think it's a deal that would help both teams, but I still think it's highly unlikely Miami bites unless Bosh's value drops or their front office gets concerned about winning titles with the current lineup.

Chronz
10-30-2013, 12:44 PM
Such as.....

blahblahyoutoo
10-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Lin is a really good backup pg.

backup practice squad pg maybe.

mightybosstone
10-30-2013, 01:25 PM
backup practice squad pg maybe.

You're soooo clever. Never mind that Lin put up 13/6/3/2 with average-above average efficiency in almost all statistical categories last season. Lin was a solid, average NBA basketball player last season. He's certainly as good or better than any PG on Miami's roster.

Chronz
10-30-2013, 01:26 PM
It would not make the luxury tax worse. In fact, it would give the Heat cap relief, because Lin and Asik combined count $3 million less toward the salary cap than Bosh would. Also, you claim the Heat need players who can help them "win games," but why can't Asik and Lin do that?

Asik was 17th in the NBA in RAPM last season, 2nd in TRB% and is one of the best defensive bigs in the game. Bosh is a lot of things, but he's not a great rebounder and he's hardly an elite defensive big. Miami struggled against teams like Indiana and San Antonio because they couldn't defender their bigs and they got pounded on the glass. Adding Asik would take away some of Miami's floor spacing, but it would immediately fix the biggest holes on their roster.

And Lin is nothing special, but he can create offense off the bench when Lebron and Wade are off the floor, something that Heat team has struggled to do in the past. Neither Asik or Lin will give you 15-20 points a night, but it's not like Bosh's scoring was a huge asset in the postseason last year, scoring a pathetic 12.1 points per game.

The Heat would admittedly miss Bosh's scoring and floor spacing, but Miami could easily run out a lineup of Chalmers-Wade-Battier-Lebron-Asik and have two elite scorers with three solid 3-point shooters on the floor at the same time. If they wanted to maximize their floor spacing, they could get Allen more minutes at SG with Chalmers-Allen-Battier-Lebron on the floor at the same time with Asik anchoring the defense and the glass.

Bottom line, I think it's a deal that would help both teams, but I still thin it's highly Miami bites unless Bosh's value drops or their front office gets concerned about winning titles with the current lineup.

Would you still do the deal if they wanted Parsons included?

LAKobeBryant
10-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Lin will get more play time than beverly though and in close games down to the wire i can see lin,bev,harden,parson,d12 if not vs 2 bigs.

mightybosstone
10-30-2013, 01:32 PM
Would you still do the deal if they wanted Parsons included?

See, that's where I would draw the line. I would be willing to include Houston's first rounder in 2014, and maybe some of the other young pieces on the roster, like Motiejunas, Jones or Smith. But I would not deal Parsons. He's insanely young, he's an ideal No. 3 for a contending team, he's got one of the best contracts in the NBA and he's become close friends with Dwight Howard.

If you're Daryl Morey, Parsons has got to be off limits. He's a key cog and a glue guy to their contending chances, and they can't move him unless they get a ridiculous offer in the process.

Kashmir13579
10-30-2013, 01:39 PM
Cool story but u didn't answer the q

my team won 2 championships - you guys juzt dont get it!

beasted86
10-30-2013, 01:48 PM

Bottom line, I think it's a deal that would help both teams, but I still think it's highly unlikely Miami bites unless Bosh's value drops or their front office gets concerned about winning titles with the current lineup.

I recall reading something that $8M/yr is the cap figure for the Rockets, but for the purposes of a trade, their salaries were $5M-$5M-$15M. I'm not exactly sure about this, but I don't really care to search and find out if that was accurate info and is true.

2nd, the trade disrupts the team's identity, and therefore doesn't help them win games. The team goes from a roster of versatility, with scrambling and switching on defense, to a team that attempts a traditional straight up defense. It also disrupts the offense because LeBron will not be able to use the post as often with either Asik clogging the lane or his defender being able to cheat off him if he attempts to float to the perimeter to give LeBron spacing. Same applies to dribble penetration for LeBron, Wade, Chalmers, Cole, etc. Lin isn't enough of an upgrade over Cole or Chalmers and would create redundancy between Chalmers, Cole, Lin, and Mason Jr. of guys who really can't play defense on the big SGs we are likely to face in the playoffs like 6'10" Paul George, 6'7" Jimmy Butler, 6'7" Joe Johnson, etc. so are really only PGs. Also really takes the team from a 3 headed monster to a two headed monster. If Wade or Bosh or LeBron are having an off night or are banged up, I've always felt confident we had 2 other guys who could step it up and drop 20+ easy in a playoff game. Now you go from that to relying on the inefficient scoring of Lin or Beasley or some other guy... which basically isn't going to happen, especially in a playoff game. I have no confidence whatsoever in those types of players taking over or stepping up. The other problem is with Asik's FT shooting he becomes a liability in late game situations and we no longer have the versatility of a guy who is 6'11" and hits 80% at the charity stripe.

beasted86
10-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Such as.....

Such as nobody. There's no straight up trade I can see that's realistic, has the salaries match, and helps the HEAT win immediately when it comes to the Rockets as a trading partner.

All trades people seem to mention for the HEAT are of the main benefit of salary relief or getting younger, never actually something that takes them from say 50% chances of winning a championship to 60% chances of winning a championship. That's why you guys miss the point. The HEAT isn't trying to make a Thunder Blunder and downgrade the team for salary relief. They are trying to win as many championships as possible now, then worry about the salary situation in the summer.

Chronz
10-30-2013, 01:58 PM
Such as nobody. There's no straight up trade I can see that's realistic, has the salaries match, and helps the HEAT win immediately when it comes to the Rockets as a trading partner.

All trades people seem to mention for the HEAT are of the main benefit of salary relief or getting younger, never actually something that takes them from say 50% chances of winning a championship to 60% chances of winning a championship. That's why you guys miss the point. The HEAT isn't trying to make a Thunder Blunder and downgrade the team for salary relief. They are trying to win as many championships as possible now, then worry about the salary situation in the summer.

wow so you wouldn't even do it for Parsons then.

beasted86
10-30-2013, 02:07 PM
wow so you wouldn't even do it for Parsons then.

How exactly does Parsons help the HEAT?

This might come off as a diss, when I have nothing against Parsons, but the truth is he is a glorified 3PT shooter. 73% of his shots are assisted. Why is he such an upgrade over Allen or Battier if those guys are also hitting their open shots at a high clip? Because he is younger?

Your suggestion to improve the team is more redundancy at SF?

Chronz
10-30-2013, 02:13 PM
How exactly does Parsons help the HEAT?

This might come off as a diss, when I have nothing against Parsons, but the truth is he is a glorified 3PT shooter. 73% of his shots are assisted. Why is he such an upgrade over Allen or Battier if those guys are also hitting their open shots at a high clip? Because he is younger?

Your suggestion to improve the team is more redundancy at SF?
They aren't the passer he is, and he has untapped defensive potential IMO.

Im not saying its a move I would make either, just seeing what kind of package you think Bosh could fetch, Houston is one of the few teams he'd be interested in.

Chronz
10-30-2013, 02:16 PM
See, that's where I would draw the line. I would be willing to include Houston's first rounder in 2014, and maybe some of the other young pieces on the roster, like Motiejunas, Jones or Smith. But I would not deal Parsons. He's insanely young, he's an ideal No. 3 for a contending team, he's got one of the best contracts in the NBA and he's become close friends with Dwight Howard.

If you're Daryl Morey, Parsons has got to be off limits. He's a key cog and a glue guy to their contending chances, and they can't move him unless they get a ridiculous offer in the process.

Agreed. I just dont think the 2 would be good trade partners then. Asik would help Miami but Lin, Im not so sure of yet. I really hope he has his best season to up his trade value more than anything.

my team won 2 championships - you guys juzt dont get it!
lol
he pulled the same card when he insisted that the Heat would not take a flier on Beasley.

mightybosstone
10-30-2013, 03:39 PM
I recall reading something that $8M/yr is the cap figure for the Rockets, but for the purposes of a trade, their salaries were $5M-$5M-$15M. I'm not exactly sure about this, but I don't really care to search and find out if that was accurate info and is true.
The cap hit for each player next season is $8.3 million. 100 percent sure. The Rockets will ACTUALLY pay $15 million apiece, but that doesn't affect the cap, and therefore, shouldn't affect the luxury tax.

2nd, the trade disrupts the team's identity, and therefore doesn't help them win games. The team goes from a roster of versatility, with scrambling and switching on defense, to a team that attempts a traditional straight up defense.
Have you ever considered that the Heat play that way defensively because they lack a true defensive post presence and are just doing their best to play to the team's strengths? Adding Asik wouldn't make defending harder. It would make it a hell of a lot easier.

It also disrupts the offense because LeBron will not be able to use the post as often with either Asik clogging the lane or his defender being able to cheat off him if he attempts to float to the perimeter to give LeBron spacing. Same applies to dribble penetration for LeBron, Wade, Chalmers, Cole, etc.
This fact is overused way too often when talking about centers with limited offensive range. You're forgetting that they play with Chris Anderson 15-20 minutes a night on the floor, have played with the completely inept Joel Anthony and that Udonis Haslem's range as a shooter is extremely limited outside of that 10-12 baseline footer.

I could very much see Asik playing a role like Chris Anderson on offense. He's not quite as athletic, but he really developed last year as a pick and role partner, and he can definitely finish around the basket.

Lin isn't enough of an upgrade over Cole or Chalmers and would create redundancy between Chalmers, Cole, Lin, and Mason Jr. of guys who really can't play defense on the big SGs we are likely to face in the playoffs like 6'10" Paul George, 6'7" Jimmy Butler, 6'7" Joe Johnson, etc. so are really only PGs. Also really takes the team from a 3 headed monster to a two headed monster.
Lin and Chalmers are very different players, but I would see him in a very similar situation in Miami that he's in with Houston. Like Beverley, Chalmers is just a better fit in that starting unit. But off the bench, Lin can create for himself and lead the second unit. He's a huge upgrade over Cole, who wouldn't get substantial minutes on probably 80 percent of the benches in the league.

If Wade or Bosh or LeBron are having an off night or are banged up, I've always felt confident we had 2 other guys who could step it up and drop 20+ easy in a playoff game. Now you go from that to relying on the inefficient scoring of Lin or Beasley or some other guy... which basically isn't going to happen, especially in a playoff game.
The Heat ALREADY aren't getting 20 from Bosh or Wade in the postseason. Also, you call Lin "inefficient," which just isn't the case. His 53.8% TS% is right around average, as are his FG%, 3-point % and FT%. I would actually expect a jump in efficiency this season, as he started out horribly last year and really came on strong as the season progressed. His 3-point shooting will especially improve.

I have no confidence whatsoever in those types of players taking over or stepping up. The other problem is with Asik's FT shooting he becomes a liability in late game situations and we no longer have the versatility of a guy who is 6'11" and hits 80% at the charity stripe.
The Thunder tried "Hack an Asik" in the playoffs last year. You should look online and see how that works out. That strategy statistically fails more than it succeeds, and you can never guarantee you're going to have three great free throw shooters in the final minutes of games or that those shooters are going to make those shots. I'd rather have an elite defender and rebounder in the paint to stop opposing teams from driving to the basket than have an 80% free throw shooter late in games.

beasted86
10-30-2013, 04:16 PM
Then stick with Asik and Lin if that's the case.

Funny how there are all these disadvantages to having Bosh, and advantages of Lin and Asik... but the people constantly suggesting this trade think it will supposedly help Houston other 2 stars and make them that much more effective in the EXACT f'kin way Bosh already currently helps the HEAT. SMH at backwards logic.

beasted86
10-30-2013, 04:22 PM
They aren't the passer he is, and he has untapped defensive potential IMO.

Im not saying its a move I would make either, just seeing what kind of package you think Bosh could fetch, Houston is one of the few teams he'd be interested in.

Better defensively than Battier already is for the HEAT? Doubtful, at least not immediately. Just using last night's game as an example, when Battier is hitting his 3s and drawing charges and making defensive plays the way he was, Parsons is a downgrade even with over a decade's worth youth.

I as a fan buy into the immediate plan because who knows what the future holds. I'd rather 1 more championship even at the expense of all 3 walking. But I also think if the HEAT win another championship these guys will be willing to restructure their deal and take a little bit less for a longer payout. Making trades to downgrade the team's immediate skill level and chemistry while praying guys re-sign, the way of the Thunder Blunder was executed, leaves you exposed. Thunder should have played for the championship with the team they had, then worried about free agency when it came. Winning the championship and assessing how profitable/punitive it is to keep them together, or losing again and seeing its time to move forward without paying a megatax was the way to go.... but they didn't. I don't want the same mistake for the HEAT. Either see that this team can win 3 straight and consider how you can make the salaries work, or you don't win, and you realize it was time to break up the team anyway.

SportsFanatic10
10-30-2013, 05:31 PM
You're soooo clever. Never mind that Lin put up 13/6/3/2 with average-above average efficiency in almost all statistical categories last season. Lin was a solid, average NBA basketball player last season. He's certainly as good or better than any PG on Miami's roster.

lins decent, but being as good or slightly better than miami's pgs isn't enough to justify downgrading from bosh to asik. asik is solid and a different type of player than bosh much more in the true center mold, but bosh is clearly better than him. the heat would probably try and include joel anthony's contract somehow since they'd love to dump that, but i just don't think it makes sense for miami. the slight upgrade at pg doesn't matter with this team since lebron and wade handle the ball mostly anyways, and cole and chalmers are solid defenders and 3pt shooters which is all the heat need out of the position. and bosh spreads the floor for the offense as a great 3rd scoring option who actually makes his fts and runs the floor well on the fast break. and even though bosh doesn't rebound or defend as well as asik(especially in the post), his mobility defending the pick and roll is great and he fits in the heats trapping style defense well. hes also improved on that end since his toronto days and is underrated protecting the rim and blocking shots now.

jam
10-30-2013, 11:24 PM
Lin is vastly improved compared to last season. He's injury free, much lighter and quicker, and thoroughly familiar with the coaches' expectations. Not to mention how hard he's worked on his 3 pt shooting.

Great game tonight: 16 pts on 5/7 shooting, 2/2 from 3's. He did a great job attacking the basket all game long.

The offense sucks with asik and bev starting, but mchale's an idiot and will continue to make stupid decisions despite being gifted one of the most talented rosters in the assoc.

Lin is a future all star, in spite of mcfail.

jam
10-30-2013, 11:27 PM
DMo is a huge net negative in rebounding and defense compared to asik. He's not very good shooting the 3, either. He'll have a lot of DNP's this season, just like tonight.

I think they should start Motiejunas at the 4. The guy can play inside out and space the floor for Dwight as well. He's got pretty good fundamentals passing-wise as well. Teams are going to double off of Asik and converge on Dwight, who isn't exactly a great passer, and the turnovers will begin to pile up.

Defensively I think starting Asik should work out though.

jam
10-30-2013, 11:28 PM
Why don't y'all think the towers can work?..they can flat out dominate the glass and have the paint on loccckksss

Because asik is a stiff on offense.

jam
10-30-2013, 11:32 PM
Great call. They were very impressive in tonight's game. They did a great job doubling harden and lin in the paint, to limit their damage. Not only did they have a smart game plan, they played a very physical, intense brand of defense. It was almost like seeing thibs' bulls lite out there. :)

I could see them winning 30 games, perhaps a few more (?). Ramon Sessions, Al Jefferson, MKG, Zeller. Their roster isn't embarrassing.

The Bobcats will be better than people think. Things are different because they have no reason to tank because their pick goes to the Bulls unprotected. They will be fighting games out, and coach will hold team more accountable.

They will still suck, just saying they won't be as much of a pushover as previous years.

jam
10-30-2013, 11:33 PM
Smart move with Beverley. He's better than Lin anyway. I'm not sure about Asik starting next to Dwight though.

52,000 posts and still spewing ignorance.

jam
10-31-2013, 12:21 AM
Lin shuts his haters up, as usual.

Bev was gettin' burned by walker; lin shuts him out on D.

Lin is simply a superior player; bev's not in his class.

Verbal Christ
10-31-2013, 09:00 AM
Bosh has declined for 3 straight years. Weak defensively and can't hit 3's. What would he do for the ROX that DMo or TJones can't do?

I'd rather dominate the paint with Howard and Asik who had 40 rebounds beetween both of them and play awesome defense. Rockets had 18 turnovers and still won by double digits.

Play strong on the ball and at the rim defensively and you will win more often than not.

Bosh = Overrated

blahblahyoutoo
10-31-2013, 10:14 AM
Lin is a future all star, in spite of mcfail.

he's an allstar only because there are 2billion chinese voting him in.

mightybosstone
10-31-2013, 10:16 AM
Lin played really well last night, but let's not have a situation like we had last year where someone would bring up that Lin thread after every great or every terrible performance. The guy is a solid basketball player who's going to have some good days and have some bad days. Let's just leave it at that and not overreact to each individual performance.

Theyhateme459
10-31-2013, 10:34 AM

True they may not tank, but that statement is untrue.... The pick we owe Chicago does not become unprotected until 2016. It's top 10 protected this year, and top 8 I believe next year.

Theyhateme459
10-31-2013, 10:37 AM
Great call. They were very impressive in tonight's game. They did a great job doubling harden and lin in the paint, to limit their damage. Not only did they have a smart game plan, they played a very physical, intense brand of defense. It was almost like seeing thibs' bulls lite out there. :)

I could see them winning 30 games, perhaps a few more (?). Ramon Sessions, Al Jefferson, MKG, Zeller. Their roster isn't embarrassing.

We will see how the roster improves over the season... Still at the game tonight our shooting on offense was terrible, and when Kemba goes to the bench we suffer a little. Zeller for his first game looked lost and slow and al was not as efficient as I would like... It's only game 1 though.

jam
10-31-2013, 11:46 AM
Did you actually watch the game? The bobcats led for much of the game, esp. in the first half, and held the rockets to just 96 pts. The rockets struggled badly on offense, partly due to the bobcats' d, but also because they started asik and bev.

Dmo is well below average as a rebounder and defender and can't hit the 3. TJ can't shoot with range, either and plays a selfish, shoot first style of basketball. Both dmo and tj will have a lot of dnp's this year. Asik can't score and Howard is a poor passer out of the post.

Bosh has declined for 3 straight years. Weak defensively and can't hit 3's. What would he do for the ROX that DMo or TJones can't do?

I'd rather dominate the paint with Howard and Asik who had 40 rebounds beetween both of them and play awesome defense. Rockets had 18 turnovers and still won by double digits.

Play strong on the ball and at the rim defensively and you will win more often than not.

Bosh = Overrated

jam
10-31-2013, 11:50 AM
Lin played really well last night, but let's not have a situation like we had last year where someone would bring up that Lin thread after every great or every terrible performance. The guy is a solid basketball player who's going to have some good days and have some bad days. Let's just leave it at that and not overreact to each individual performance.

Lin is a much better player than he was last season. He's injury free, has a greatly improved 3 pt shot, is lighter and quicker, and is familiar now with his teammates and coaches' expectations. He attacked the basket without hesitation and likewise took open 3's without hesitation.

Of course I don't expect him to shoot 70% from the field every game, or to make every 3, just like I don't expect howard to have 25+ rebounds every night. But it's obvious that this season's lin is a huge improvement over last season's and the same is true for dwight, as well as just about every player on the rockets' roster.

jam
10-31-2013, 11:55 AM
We will see how the roster improves over the season... Still at the game tonight our shooting on offense was terrible, and when Kemba goes to the bench we suffer a little. Zeller for his first game looked lost and slow and al was not as efficient as I would like... It's only game 1 though.

Everything you said is accurate, but damn, I was very impressed with the way the bobcats got after it on d. They played d with the utmost confidence and they were very, very physical. Jordan and the bobcats made the right call with clifford. He might wind up being my 2nd favorite coach in the nba, right after frank vogel.

They're obviously one of the youngest teams in the nba, but I think you guys are going to be very impressed with this team's effort level and defense. I wouldn't mind watching a few more bobcats games this season, to be honest. They were entertaining to watch.

Chronz
10-31-2013, 01:04 PM

Bosh = Overrated

Hes an All-Star regardless, those 2 players are not. Its a clear 2-way upgrade.

mightybosstone
10-31-2013, 01:30 PM
Did you actually watch the game? The bobcats led for much of the game, esp. in the first half, and held the rockets to just 96 pts. The rockets struggled badly on offense, partly due to the bobcats' d, but also because they started asik and bev.
I'm wondering if you watched the game. Midway through the second quarter the Rockets took their second or third lead of the game and led the entire rest of the way. Also, the offense struggled because Harden was clearly sore and they kept turning the damn ball over. Some of it was the Bobcats defense, but a lot of it was errors on the Rockets part.

Dmo is well below average as a rebounder and defender and can't hit the 3. TJ can't shoot with range, either and plays a selfish, shoot first style of basketball. Both dmo and tj will have a lot of dnp's this year. Asik can't score and Howard is a poor passer out of the post.
Howard's not a great passer out of the post, but he's not abysmal either, and he made a few really good passes last night. Also Jones and Motiejunas have 3-point potential, but they haven't acclimated to the NBA yet and have some room to grow.

Clippersfan86
10-31-2013, 01:42 PM
Turnovers are going to be a huge problem for the Rockets. Won't be surprised if they lead the league in turnovers. Everybody has problems though and strengths and weaknesses. I wouldn't take anything from a game against the Bobcats if I was a Rockets fan but good to see that Asik+Dwight are gelling (good if you're a Houston fan). How did Parsons look?

mightybosstone
10-31-2013, 01:49 PM
Turnovers are going to be a huge problem for the Rockets. Won't be surprised if they lead the league in turnovers. Everybody has problems though and strengths and weaknesses. I wouldn't take anything from a game against the Bobcats if I was a Rockets fan but good to see that Asik+Dwight are gelling (good if you're a Houston fan). How did Parsons look?

Turnovers were a huge problem for them last season, too, but I'm hoping that they'll have gained some experience over the last year and cut down on their mistakes in transition. Having a legit post presence should also let them run more half-court sets and cut down on mistakes.

And I actually thought the Asik and Dwight pairing was a really mixed back last night. Defensively, it was pretty great for the most part, especially the job they did on Jefferson and on the glass. But offensively, it showed a few glaring problems. The team slowed down too much with both guys on the floor, there wasn't as much ball movement and the lack of floor spacing led to fewer open perimeter looks. The offense looked much better in the fourth quarter with the lineup of Lin-Harden-Parsons-Casspi-Howard. That's the lineup I think will play the most time together throughout the season with Beverley and Lin sharing minutes at PG.

Parsons was all right. He was cold from the perimeter, but he was getting good looks. He drove to the basket several times and took matters into his own hands, which I think he'll do a lot more this season. Also, he made a few really good passes, which will be key for this offense.

Clippersfan86
10-31-2013, 01:52 PM
So kind of like Chronz mentioned great on D+glass but not good on offense (which all of us agreed on). Maybe turnovers will calm down but Dwight is extremely turnover prone for a center himself, so who knows. Either way sounds like you guys are looking pretty good so far.

jam
10-31-2013, 11:23 PM
And let's not pretend that the rockets are somehow going to run away from the west and have a cakewalk to the WC championship.

The top tiers of the ladder are up for grabs. Chris Paul is brilliant as ever and the clips finally have a legitimate head coach. Let's see if Griffin has the heart to become a complete player and help lead this team to a championship.

The warriors are beasting with curry, klay, lee, and now iguo. Warriors fans get to look forward to a full season with a healthy bogut. I even like TD as an energy guy off the bench.

OKC and the spurs should be good for 55 wins each.

There are 5 teams right near the top of the heap.

The rockets meanwhile, have a lot of issues they need to sort out. Their offense has slowed considerably with dwight in the middle demanding a lot of slow it down half court post touches. Add to that, asik offers nothing on the offensive end. PBev is minus on offense compared to lin. harden is going to iso a lot, a la kobe and anthony in ny.

Of the top 5 teams, okc and hou clearly have the worst coaching. I rate the rockets 3rd in the west after the spurs and the warriors, and perhaps even 4th with the clippers right above them.

jam
10-31-2013, 11:31 PM
Dwight is not a great passer, and he is turnover prone. He'll never be, never has been, a high IQ, polished offensive player. He is a freak defender and rebounder at 6'9", and has the strength and athleticism to score despite the deficiencies in his offensive skillset. He is what he is: unpolished, but still a huge plus on offense, and an even bigger asset of defense.

If he's healthy, he might be the most valuable player in the league.

So kind of like Chronz mentioned great on D+glass but not good on offense (which all of us agreed on). Maybe turnovers will calm down but Dwight is extremely turnover prone for a center himself, so who knows. Either way sounds like you guys are looking pretty good so far.

UPRock
10-31-2013, 11:40 PM
DoMo needs to be their power forward.

jam
11-01-2013, 09:18 PM
JLin is back in the starting lineup and the rockets are destroying the mavs. Having both pbev and asik starting bogs down the offense. Putting lin back in re-energizes the offense. Dumb mchale probably doesn't get it and will probably start pbev again.

jam
11-01-2013, 09:20 PM
DoMo needs to be their power forward.

He'll play occasionally in blowouts or when a starter is injured. Otherwise, DNP's.

jam
11-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Lin pitches a shutout against Calderon. 14 to zip. Holds calderon to 0-8 from the field. I just find it ridiculous that pbev is somehow a defensive savior for this team.

All the haters go back to lurkin.'

FOBolous
11-01-2013, 11:16 PM
I don't want Houston to trade Asik. I love our dominance on the board. I love all the offensive rebounds and second chance points. And if the offence becomes stagnant, Casspi and Parsons fills in fine as stretch 4s.

FOBolous
11-02-2013, 01:47 AM
Dude. I've watched like 90% of the Rockets games since the beginning of last season, and you'd have to be a ****ing idiot to think Beverley wasn't a substantially better defender than Lin. Lin is better than Beverley at many things. Defense is not one of them, and it's not even debatable.

You should post less... You have like two opinions, and you just keep repeating them over and over again whether or not anybody reads them or gives a ****.

dude you need to chill out.

Asik's better
11-02-2013, 08:08 AM
Lin pitches a shutout against Calderon. 14 to zip. Holds calderon to 0-8 from the field. I just find it ridiculous that pbev is somehow a defensive savior for this team.

All the haters go back to lurkin.'
Your not that that crazy conspiracy theorist who last season spent a month tweeting at Houston journalists and Daryl Morey claiming that Mchale wanted Lin to fail? I really miss that guy, he was always good for a laugh

mightybosstone
11-02-2013, 11:03 AM
dude you need to chill out.

No thanks. This guy is beyond annoying. All he does is praise Lin and rip McHale, but he never provides any other relevant points to conversation and he usually spews out 3 or 4 nonsensical posts in a row of the same crap. It's one thing to have a favorite player, but this guy is a one-note joke. Rarely do I see him comment in other threads, and it's not like he ever ventures into the Rockets forum to talk about the team.

I'll chill out when this guy either stops posting or gets a new routine, because this current one got old a long time ago.

jam
11-02-2013, 11:39 PM
Lin drops 20 tonight in the rockets' 3rd straight win. Three's, midrange jumper, attacking the basket. You mad?!?

Shut your mouth hater!!!

No thanks. This guy is beyond annoying. All he does is praise Lin and rip McHale, but he never provides any other relevant points to conversation and he usually spews out 3 or 4 nonsensical posts in a row of the same crap. It's one thing to have a favorite player, but this guy is a one-note joke. Rarely do I see him comment in other threads, and it's not like he ever ventures into the Rockets forum to talk about the team.

I'll chill out when this guy either stops posting or gets a new routine, because this current one got old a long time ago.

mightybosstone
11-02-2013, 11:41 PM
Lin drops 20 tonight in the rockets' 3rd straight win. Three's, midrange jumper, attacking the basket. You mad?!?

Shut your mouth hater!!!

:laugh: I love that you're calling me a hater, when I'm arguably the biggest Rockets fan on the site.

jam
11-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Based on what? Your opinion? You don't have a SHRED of evidence to support your bias. None. Of course, in that vacant lot between your ears that you call a brain, swearing and ranting = "evidence." Good luck with that. :)

Dude. I've watched like 90% of the Rockets games since the beginning of last season, and you'd have to be a ****ing idiot to think Beverley wasn't a substantially better defender than Lin. Lin is better than Beverley at many things. Defense is not one of them, and it's not even debatable.

jam
11-02-2013, 11:44 PM
:laugh: I love that you're calling me a hater, when I'm arguably the biggest Rockets fan on the site.

Typical LOH. Mad that lin had a good game. You don't get out much, do you? :)

mightybosstone
11-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Typical LOH. Mad that lin had a good game. You don't get out much, do you? :)

LOH? What are you talking about? I'm rooting for Lin as much as the next guy, and I was excited as anybody when the Rockets signed him. He was a bit of a disappointment to start the season last year, but he really came on strong toward the end and he's started much better this season. I still see him as an above average point guard with a high ceiling and potential as a great 6th man or a solid No. 3 or No. 4 on a contending team.

mightybosstone
11-02-2013, 11:58 PM
Based on what? Your opinion? You don't have a SHRED of evidence to support your bias. None. Of course, in that vacant lot between your ears that you call a brain, swearing and ranting = "evidence." Good luck with that. :)

lol..... Are you ****ing kidding me? Lin gave up an average 16.9 PER to opposing PGs last season compared to only a 15.3 PER for Beverley, according to 82games.com. Or how about the fact that the Rockets were 5 points per 100 possessions better with Beverely on the floor defensively last season, according to ESPN? Or how about watching Rockets games or reading any article about the Rockets and their point guard defense over the last 6-8 months, which would easily back up my point?

You, sir, are the one which lacks any evidence whatsoever to back up his point. Lin is very good at playing the passing lanes and getting steals, but he has a lot of work to do as a one-on-one defender.

mightybosstone
11-03-2013, 12:03 AM
But let's not bicker over the guy. He's played really well through three games, and I've been very impressed with his decision making and perimeter shooting. It's obviously very early in the season, but he's shooting well over 50% from the floor and he's right at 40% from the 3-point line. If he continues to give the Rockets 15/4/3 every night with solid efficiency, this team is going to be even tougher to beat than originally anticipated. That gives Houston four very solid offensive weapons who can go off for 20 on any given night.

Clippersfan86
11-05-2013, 03:51 PM
"On the Rocketsí front, the Howard-Omer Asik pairing just isnít working. The duo is allowing 100.1 points per 100 possessions defensively (not a terrible number by any means), but scoring an anemic 87.1 points per 100 possessions. Itís the reason why, despite starting together in all four games, McHale has only played the pair 47 minutes together. Inserting Francisco Garcia or Omri Casspi for Asik makes a lot of sense, and gives Houston their most potent small-ball lineup currently."

Just 4 games in, too soon to conclude anything but an update on how it's working so far. This is an piece from a blog today. Good but not great defense, atrocious offense.

Clippersfan86
11-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Asik will be traded by ASW trust me, been saying it all along.

Chronz
11-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Pretty much what I expected this early in the season. Its either going to look ugly offensively and good defensively, or survivable offensively but elite defensively. The last thing I would expect is for it to be bad on both ends.

As for trading Asik, you take the better fit if it comes along (Milsap in a few weeks perhaps) but focusing on Dwight+Asik lineups ignores the fact that the Rockets have benefited from having near 48 minutes of elite rim protection.

Clippersfan86
11-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Pretty much what I expected this early in the season. Its either going to look ugly offensively and good defensively, or survivable offensively but elite defensively. The last thing I would expect is for it to be bad on both ends.

As for trading Asik, you take the better fit if it comes along (Milsap in a few weeks perhaps) but focusing on Dwight+Asik lineups ignores the fact that the Rockets have benefited from having near 48 minutes of elite rim protection.

Yea you were right in the sense that I thought they would struggle at least a little more on D. That being said... Millsap, Bosh etc... guys like that like you mentioned would be awesome for them. Also it's hard to judge them because they haven't played a single good offensive team outside of us I think.

I agree with the notion that nothing is wrong with them having 48 minutes of elite interior D. My issue was always with them sharing the court together for big minutes. Thing is Asik may be their best trading piece so he's the best chance they have at upgrading at PF. Only other thing I could think of is to trade one of their 3 above average PG's for a PF.

Chronz
11-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Its too early to judge anything even if they played all the best offenses thus far, rankings will fluctuate alot in the coming games, like I sincerely hope our defense doesn't remain dead last all year, even at the expense of some offense.

Clippersfan86
11-05-2013, 04:24 PM
For sure. I think we will finish 1st or 2nd offense and 10th-13th defense or so... which is enough IMO.

Kashmir13579
11-05-2013, 05:40 PM
So... Is this the year Lin finally breaks out? I've seen a couple of his games and he looks comfortable out there. Needless to say he's one of my favorite players and i'll be cheering him on.

Tony_Starks
11-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Asik needs to come off the bench until they ship him out, if they ever do. Caspi opens up the floor for you as a stretch 4, then you have Asik for insurance for when D12 gets in foul trouble which he often will....

lol, please
11-05-2013, 06:46 PM
http://rockets.clutchfans.net/5244/rockets-to-begin-season-with-beverley-asik-as-starters-lin-off-bench/

Thought this is relevant to the main nba forum since there's been a lot of discussion in the main forum about the role of both players.Asiks better. ;)

5ass
11-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Asik+lin+donatas or jones for teague+milsap+ayon makes for a good trade for both teams IMO.

FOBolous
11-05-2013, 08:15 PM
"On the Rocketsí front, the Howard-Omer Asik pairing just isnít working. The duo is allowing 100.1 points per 100 possessions defensively (not a terrible number by any means), but scoring an anemic 87.1 points per 100 possessions. Itís the reason why, despite starting together in all four games, McHale has only played the pair 47 minutes together. Inserting Francisco Garcia or Omri Casspi for Asik makes a lot of sense, and gives Houston their most potent small-ball lineup currently."

Just 4 games in, too soon to conclude anything but an update on how it's working so far. This is an piece from a blog today. Good but not great defense, atrocious offense.

lol that's the reason why. they didn't play together much because of foul trouble. Asik got into foul trouble vs Dallas and had to sit. Dwight Howard got into foul trouble vs Clippers and had to sit. Dwight Howard pretty much sat the whole first half vs the Clippers.

If anything, the 4 games have shown why the Rockets SHOULD keep Asik. Having both players allows the Rockets to have 48 minutes of rim protection, insurance, and flexibility in terms of lineup. One of the two player is always on the court no matter who's sitting or resting...if one player is unable to play for whatever reason (foul trouble maybe?), the rockets have the other player to go to...and if the Rockets needs to play big, they can. if the Rockets need to go small, they can just go with Parsons or Casspi as the stretch 4 (both fills in nicely as a stretch 4). and when both players are playing at their best, no team in the NBA can outrebound them and rebounds = more possessions for you and less for the other team. as a Rockets fan, I actually DON'T want the Rockets to trade Asik anymore.

TrueFan420
11-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Asik needs to come off the bench until they ship him out, if they ever do. Caspi opens up the floor for you as a stretch 4, then you have Asik for insurance for when D12 gets in foul trouble which he often will....

While we all know this it also hurts asik value. They should have moved him once they got d12

Tony_Starks
11-05-2013, 09:04 PM
While we all know this it also hurts asik value. They should have moved him once they got d12

Asiks value is what is at this point. Nobody is going to be beating down the door regardless of if he starts or not. They might as well just play their best lineup...

TrueFan420
11-06-2013, 12:59 AM
Asiks value is what is at this point. Nobody is going to be beating down the door regardless of if he starts or not. They might as well just play their best lineup...

Are you kidding he has a lot of value. He is a top defensive center. Yes he isn't very good offensively but dude has value.

mightybosstone
11-06-2013, 02:07 AM

Asik is probably one of the 4-6 best defensive centers in the league and is the best rebounding center in the league. He has far more value than you're giving him credit for regardless of his deficiencies on offense.

jam
11-06-2013, 03:09 AM
Saying Asik is one of the best defensive centers in the league is like saying Kourtney is the prettiest of the kardashian sisters. She's less of a skank, but she's still a skank.

Asik is probably one of the 4-6 best defensive centers in the league and is the best rebounding center in the league. He has far more value than you're giving him credit for regardless of his deficiencies on offense.

Chronz
11-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Hurt his trade value? Maybe if this were 2001 and teams were still woefully ignorant to advanced analysis but Asik is what hes always been. There is no need to trade him before all options are explored. Let buyers remorse kick in and field the trade options then too. Take the best move if you can but dont just trade him just because you got D12.

Chronz
11-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Saying Asik is one of the best defensive centers in the league is like saying Kourtney is the prettiest of the kardashian sisters. She's less of a skank, but she's still a skank.

Howso?

I dont know if you knew this but defense at the center position is pretty important, being among the best at such an integral part of the game is valuable. So yea, wat?

Saddletramp
11-06-2013, 11:25 PM
I think someone already said it but I'm all for not trading Asik unless he has to be included to make a deal for someone like Love to work. Just always having the defensive anchor on the floor is huge. I did like what I saw from Greg Smith the other night in limited time against the Clippers so it's nice to have a third stringer like him in case of injury or foul trouble.

Tony_Starks
11-06-2013, 11:39 PM

All I said is nobody is beating down the door for him. It's not like if Marc Gasol or Lopez were on the trading block. He's decent but teams will more than likely wait til around allstar break to get him, regardless of if he starts or not...