PDA

View Full Version : How much points would peak Olajuwon average into day era?

canefandynasty
10-29-2013, 12:31 PM
With the quality of bigs in today's league along with the new rules, how would peak Olajuwons stats look like?

I think he would average at least 30 a game and win scoring champion like every season. The quality of big men has gotten better from early 2000s to now, but its still isn't as good as the competition he faced in the 90s. I can't really imagine how his stats would look, but it would someimg crazy to look at

jstone0716
10-29-2013, 02:11 PM
I don't know how you could possible get any better. 27/13/3 4 blocks & 2 steals.. 50FG%... those are already redonk numbers lol.

Sinestro
10-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Olajuwon would dominate this league.... scary to think about

ManRam
10-29-2013, 02:27 PM
I don't think he'd be that much more dominant.

The centers today get a bad rep, but mainly because they're poor offensive players. But there are a ton of very dominant defenders who have size, speed and strength that on average has to be better than Hakeem's time. It's a different league too, he'd have to make plenty of adjustments as well.

JEDean89
10-29-2013, 02:32 PM
The league has changed so that size is really only an advantage if you athleticism. Its why shorter, more athletic bigs have become the norm. Guys like Larry Sanders, Drummond, Dwight, Noah would all be relatively small if they played 20 years ago but today they are the Goliaths of the league. Hibbert is really the only traditionally sized C left in the game. It seems like the Bynums and the Greg Odens bodies just can't keep up with the pace of the league. Its hard to think Olajuwon would benefit from playing in the high pick and roll instead of posting like crazy but he would probably still be MVP material.

bgdreton
10-29-2013, 02:35 PM
His average might stay the same mybe the assist number would go up... He would be doubled so many times it wouldn't be fair. He might have the best footwork of any player at any size ever. No one in the league would be able to guard him period.....

flea
10-29-2013, 02:35 PM
Probably about the same. Like ManRam said, the lack of quality centers really is only aimed at quality post offensive players. He wouldn't have to go toe-to-toe with Shaq or Robinson, but he'd be heavily relied upon in defensive sets as a rim protector. It would be interesting to see him playing in the zone defense era. He might be better defensively than Duncan is currently (and yes, Duncan is still the best post defender in the league).

MygirlhatesCod
10-29-2013, 02:38 PM
the way the rules are now i wouldnt be surprised if he averaged at least 15 free throws a game in his prime it was 7.5. that would be an extra about 4 points which would put him at 31 a game. add the fact that not many teams would be able to stop him i would say he could probably get 35 a game plus or minus 1.

bholly
10-29-2013, 08:45 PM

The centers today get a bad rep, but mainly because they're poor offensive players. But there are a ton of very dominant defenders who have size, speed and strength that on average has to be better than Hakeem's time. It's a different league too, he'd have to make plenty of adjustments as well.

This, and I'd add that people really overrate the center competition back then, too. They think every game was against the Admiral or Ewing or Shaq or whatever, as if there weren't guys like Felton Spencer, Benoit Benjamin, Elden Campbell, Elmore Spencer, Kevin Duckworth, Shawn Bradley, Bill Cartwright - all of whom started more than half the season in 1993-94.

BRADfromOZ
10-30-2013, 02:46 AM
He would humiliate every center he would play against and average an easy 30ppg.

mightybosstone
10-30-2013, 10:19 AM
While I'm obviously a massive Olajuwon fan, I tend to agree with Manram on this one. There are still a ton of quality post defenders in the NBA today, and while Olajuwon's size and athleticism would make him easily the best offensive big in the game in today's NBA, he'd have plenty of quality defenders to go up against. This question would depend a lot on the supporting cast and which age Olajuwon we're getting. Younger Hakeem pounded the glass and dominated the paint with an insane number of blocked shots, while older F U Hakeem in the 90s wasn't as dominant on the glass or in the paint, but absolutely killed you offensively, taking 20+ shots a night.

I'm thinking you'd probably get similar production from him, but he'd almost certainly lead the league in blocks, while finishing top five in scoring and rebounds and top 5-10 in steals.

Bruno
10-30-2013, 11:45 PM
he'd put 25-28 and make every center look like an amateur on the offensive end w/ his defense.

Heediot
10-31-2013, 09:54 AM
For those making claims thy today's 5s stack up defensively to olajuwons timein his prime get the f out. Only Howard would be mentioned in the same breath as hakeem, admiral, mutombo, mourning, Ewing. Prime Duncan wouldst held his own, Ben Wallace but he retired, kg would get man handled guarding the 5s back in hakeems day.

ztilzer31
10-31-2013, 10:12 AM
I don't see him averaging more points, but I could see him being even more effective defensively. Hakeem was very fast, and very capable of handling guards on a switch.

It would all depend on what team he was on, and who was on that team. Take the Pacers for example. Switch Hibbert with Hakeem, and you more than likely have a team with a ring or 2, or at least a couple finals trips.

mightybosstone
10-31-2013, 10:13 AM
For those making claims thy today's 5s stack up defensively to olajuwons timein his prime get the f out. Only Howard would be mentioned in the same breath as hakeem, admiral, mutombo, mourning, Ewing. Prime Duncan wouldst held his own, Ben Wallace but he retired, kg would get man handled guarding the 5s back in hakeems day.

While I agree that the 90s were the league's greatest era of centers ever, and that there were tons of two-day, defensively dominant bigs, I think you're seriously underrating centers of today. Howard, Gasol, Chandler, Hibbert, Noah, Asik, Bogut, Garnett and Duncan all come to mind as fives in today's game who could have defended centers of any era. Some of these guys might not have a huge impact. Chandler's a bit undersized and Noah's probably a better help defender than he would be in a one-on-one situation against an elite center, but they're still capable of playing great post defense.

Now, are they AS GOOD as the best centers defensively were in the 90s? Hell no. But I don't think anybody's making that argument. I'm saying that there are plenty of good defensive centers in the NBA today and no center from any era would just step in and average 40/20 or something ridiculous like that.

b@llhog24
10-31-2013, 10:46 AM
Why the fudge is he averaging 30 points? Unless he's playing for a team like the Bobcats I don't see a reason for him to be playing all those minutes.

b@llhog24
10-31-2013, 10:47 AM
This, and I'd add that people really overrate the center competition back then, too. They think every game was against the Admiral or Ewing or Shaq or whatever, as if there weren't guys like Felton Spencer, Benoit Benjamin, Elden Campbell, Elmore Spencer, Kevin Duckworth, Shawn Bradley, Bill Cartwright - all of whom started more than half the season in 1993-94.

Great post.

Heediot
10-31-2013, 12:08 PM

Top 5 at C in that era was HOF material easily, top 5 now, who makes HOF? Dwight, KG & Timmy (Both of whom are more known as PFs in their primes). I can give you Timmy as he was a hybrid big.

It's a tad overrated yeah, but it was a pretty stacked top 10 of Centers.

dnl123
10-31-2013, 12:31 PM
I hate these type of threads. The great players of NBA history would be great in any era they played in. Yes there were more dominant big men back when Hakeem first played, but the game was played more inside as well. Now the NBA is about fast breaks, athleticism, and shooting 3's. So I think his numbers might even be down in the current NBA because of the style of play that is dominant. Honestly though, he'd be great in any era as would any great player.

IKnowHoops
10-31-2013, 12:52 PM
He'd average 3-6 points less than what prime Drob would.

mightybosstone
10-31-2013, 01:40 PM
He'd average 3-6 points less than what prime Drob would.

And why is that, exactly?

Hawkeye15
10-31-2013, 02:29 PM
similar results

IKnowHoops
10-31-2013, 02:59 PM
And why is that, exactly?

David was a better scorer, more efficient scorer and scored more when they were in there primes already. Couple that with this being more of a fast break league, David ran the floor better and was faster and more athletic than Hakeem as well.

IKnowHoops
10-31-2013, 03:12 PM

No way brah

bgdreton
10-31-2013, 03:50 PM
Please close this thread. Hakeem's footwork alone would foul guys out easily. Clearly most people in here have forgotten how quick, strong and good Hakeem was.. There is no center that can guard him one on one. Remember he has a 15 - 17 foot jumper, uses pump fakes and can handle the ball like a smaller player. Please get real he would dominate

alexander_37
10-31-2013, 04:33 PM
It would be scary.

NoahH
10-31-2013, 07:01 PM

Agreed. Just cuz youre a crappy offensive player doesn;t mean you cant defend

ztilzer31
10-31-2013, 08:20 PM
David was a better scorer, more efficient scorer and scored more when they were in there primes already. Couple that with this being more of a fast break league, David ran the floor better and was faster and more athletic than Hakeem as well.

David ran the floor better? Faster? More athletic?

Since when?

Shlumpledink
10-31-2013, 08:44 PM
Would be fun to watch him rack up championships. Then we could all talk about him as being the greatest of all time. A great bigman with guard skills and quickness in todays NBA? That would be scary. Basically would be like a video game

IKnowHoops
11-01-2013, 04:45 AM

Since when?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKVqpXl3M18

Any questions?

jerellh528
11-01-2013, 04:47 AM
About the same.

IKnowHoops
11-01-2013, 05:01 AM

Since when?

Here it is from the horses mouth.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGCGTfFay4

IKnowHoops
11-01-2013, 05:06 AM
About the same.

Common dude. Olajuwon is great, but he wasn't faster or more athletic or did he run the floor better than David Robinson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlcW_CE4V1I

Can you honestly watch the above and still say they are about the same?

IKnowHoops
11-01-2013, 05:13 AM
Im not saying its a blowout. Its actually pretty close, but clear.

jerellh528
11-01-2013, 05:52 AM
Common dude. Olajuwon is great, but he wasn't faster or more athletic or did he run the floor better than David Robinson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlcW_CE4V1I

Can you honestly watch the above and still say they are about the same?

Dude, IMO this era thing is far blown out of proportion. If this evolution was that fast we'd still be seeing half monkeys running around. The talent and athleticism of today's game is very similar to Hakeem's era. There's plenty of good defensive centers in today's game. It's not so apparent because the post games and fundamentals aren't being worked on as much. I don't attribute that to the talent, I attribute that to the commish and the movement towards speed and excitement.

IKnowHoops
11-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Dude, IMO this era thing is far blown out of proportion. If this evolution was that fast we'd still be seeing half monkeys running around. The talent and athleticism of today's game is very similar to Hakeem's era. There's plenty of good defensive centers in today's game. It's not so apparent because the post games and fundamentals aren't being worked on as much. I don't attribute that to the talent, I attribute that to the commish and the movement towards speed and excitement.

hahaha, we are talking about two different things. Im comparing the athletic ability of Hakeem and David. Your comparing The 90's to today.

bagwell368
11-02-2013, 10:19 PM

DRob played on a better team and didn't face as many double teams. Hakeem won two rings as the star of his team and DRob won zero rings as the star of his team even though he had better seeding on average than Hakeem's team throughout their respective peaks.

slashsnake
11-03-2013, 11:08 PM
That is a tough call. I think he’d be about the same if not slightly down. The zone defense I think has made it tougher for the great post players to score from the post. And I would say that while offensive back to the basket bigs are definitely in a major decline, the big man defender is still playing.