PDA

View Full Version : NEWSDAY: Rangers have been in this spot before

SLY WILLIAMS
10-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Rangers have been in this spot before

8:12 AM By Cody Derespina

The Rangers record fell to 3-7. They were shut out three times in their first 10 games.

The year was 2007.

As dismal as the start of this 2013 Rangers season appears following a 2-0 shutout to the Canadiens in the Blue Shirts' home opener on Monday, the team can take comfort in the fact that they've been in the same precarious position before and come out just fine.

Yes, a 3-7 record and shutouts to Montreal, New Jersey and Anaheim is not a great spot. In fact, it's a historically bad spot for the Rangers.

Only six previous times in the Rangers history has the team been shut out three times during its first 10 games: 1928 (a franchise record four times), 1930, 1933, 1935, 1950 and 2007.

That 2007 season, however, is the one to focus on.

On Oct. 23, 2007 the Rangers were floundering. The shutouts were all heartbreakers: A 2-0 loss to Ottawa on Oct. 6; A 1-0 defeat at Boston on Oct. 20; A 1-0 loss to Pittsburgh on Oct. 23. Henrik Lundqvist, in his third season, took the loss in all three games.

But the team then reeled off four consecutive wins and won nine of their next 10 games overall.

The Rangers finished the 2007-08 season 42-27, made the playoffs and lost in the Conference Semifinals to the Penguins.

So as bleak as this beginning has been for the Rangers, remember that they've fought back from the same bad start before.http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/blue-notes-1.811976/rangers-have-been-in-this-spot-before-1.6337888

NYSPORTS98
10-29-2013, 11:44 PM
Still giving them two months before . . . . Month one is almost done.

SLY WILLIAMS
10-30-2013, 10:46 AM
As horrible as things felt on a 9 game road trip and despite all the injuries we are still 4-7. Maybe things are starting to stabilize a bit.

Redfish
10-30-2013, 01:10 PM
As horrible as things felt on a 9 game road trip and despite all the injuries we are still 4-7. Maybe things are starting to stabilize a bit.

The club has definitely stabilized, in my view.

Objectively, my sense is we are at a point of being a .500 winning percentage type team, maybe slightly better. That's ok though, for now. The "team" is just starting to hit stride, and the return of Callahan in 2+ weeks will prove a big boost. So, I am optimistic. A key hurdle will be for Hank to establish his game to Hank-type levels.

What has been so exciting, and important, is the emergence of Kreider and Miller into integral parts of the lineup. Coming out of training camp, while hopeful, I did not think these players would be where they are at, confidence and performance wise, so this has been an excellent development for the team, in my view. The key from here will be consistency and them learning how to "bring it" most nights on the ice. But very encouraging so far.

Whether it was by design or having little choice, the opportunities given Kreider, Miller and Fast have definitely tempered my concern (and criticism) of AV's approach toward developing our rookies. Kreider and MZA also seem to be getting some playing time together, and Pyatt less so and back to 3rd/4th line minutes, so the natural balance of things seem to be falling into place on the team.

I am hoping this all continues! :)

SLY WILLIAMS
10-30-2013, 01:37 PM
The club has definitely stabilized, in my view.

Objectively, my sense is we are at a point of being a .500 winning percentage type team, maybe slightly better. That's ok though, for now. The "team" is just starting to hit stride, and the return of Callahan in 2+ weeks will prove a big boost. So, I am optimistic. A key hurdle will be for Hank to establish his game to Hank-type levels.

What has been so exciting, and important, is the emergence of Kreider and Miller into integral parts of the lineup. Coming out of training camp, while hopeful, I did not think these players would be where they are at, confidence and performance wise, so this has been an excellent development for the team, in my view. The key from here will be consistency and them learning how to "bring it" most nights on the ice. But very encouraging so far.

Whether it was by design or having little choice, the opportunities given Kreider, Miller and Fast have definitely tempered my concern (and criticism) of AV's approach toward developing our rookies. Kreider and MZA also seem to be getting some playing time together, and Pyatt less so and back to 3rd/4th line minutes, so the natural balance of things seem to be falling into place on the team.

I am hoping this all continues! :)

Those are some good points. Maybe the upside of the injuries is it allows guys like Kreider and Miller to play without as much pressure. The minute I saw Krieder-Step-Mats announced before the game I was happy. To me those 3 are a good fit for each other. I sure hope AV gives them a chance to stay together. If we can keep 4th line guys on the 4th line I think that will help us down the road. The next big step for us would be winning 2 games in a row. :)

bsi
10-30-2013, 11:10 PM
Kristo keeps on rolling in the ahl...maybe a good replacement for D. Moore, more speed and scoring.