PDA

View Full Version : NBA Embraces Anayltics

Guppyfighter
10-28-2013, 07:35 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/nba-embraces-advanced-analytics-as-moneyball-movement-sweeps-pro-basketball/2013/10/25/1bd40e24-3d7a-11e3-b0e7-716179a2c2c7_story.html

Goose17
10-28-2013, 07:47 PM
"Roughly three-quarters of the league’s 30 teams have full-time staffers charged with dissecting numbers"

I find it amazing that there's still teams without a dedicated analytics department.

MrfadeawayJB
10-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Grizz whole front office are analytic guys lol

ManRam
10-28-2013, 08:11 PM
"Roughly three-quarters of the league’s 30 teams have full-time staffers charged with dissecting numbers"

I find it amazing that there's still teams without a dedicated analytics department.

Yup.

According to NBAStuffer the following don't have analytics departments. Perhaps that's where the article got the numbers.

Atlanta
Chicago
Clippers
Minnesota
New Orleans
Sacramento
Utah

But googling some things...

Atlanta: not sure

Chicago: Definitely does. Thibs was in Boston, one of the first to really dive into analytics. Gar Foreman talks about it frequently

Clippers: seems uncertain...but probably not. I'm sure with Doc around there will be a push. But Sterling is an old fart so who knows

Wolves: Absolutely do. http://www.twincities.com/ci_23071784/sports-new-math-timberwolves-have-embraced-use-analytics

Pelicans: no idea

Kings: the new regime is all in!

Jazz: have one

Hard to determine the capacity but I know a lot of these teams have pretty big ones and funnel a lot of money into it.

It looks like the Hawks (?), Pellies (?) and Clippers (?) might the only teams that actually don't

slaker619
10-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Intresting

Hellcrooner
10-28-2013, 10:50 PM
wonder when the fashion will go down the toilet.
i say psicoanalyst would be more important to have,.

Hawkeye15
10-28-2013, 11:24 PM
stats are bad

P&GRealist
10-28-2013, 11:37 PM
Jim Buss believes in analytics and that's how he sees the game and predicates that on how a team should be constructed and what type of system should be run by the coach that runs that system. This is why he chose Mike D'Antoni of all people. Phil Jackson said in an interview last yr that Jim Buss views the game differently and bases his views on analytics and statistics.

Ever since Jim Buss was put at the helm following the Lakers 2010 championship, not making the trade for Bynum for Carmelo Anthony at the 2011 deadline, and the following summer getting rid of any semblance of Phil Jackson and his triangle offense, the Lakers have been well...

The Lakers with the idiot owner son have become a part of this new cult and analytics Nazi movement.

Phil Jackson just came out a few days ago saying that we won't seeing him as a figure in the Lakers organization until there are considerable "SEISMIC SHIFT", and that shift is getting rid of Jim Buss and his analytics crap and ego and incompetence and putting Jeanie Buss at the helm (who shares the same views as her father the late Dr. Buss). That's the only way Phil would come into the organization.

Tmath
10-28-2013, 11:37 PM

Doesn't look like its working out for the Grizz, they seem to be getting worse...

Hellcrooner
10-28-2013, 11:43 PM
stats are bad

Nah they are usefull, but they are quickly getting overated.

MrfadeawayJB
10-28-2013, 11:47 PM

Doesn't look like its working out for the Grizz, they seem to be getting worse...

I hope your not judging a team from a few weak preseason showings

Gators123
10-28-2013, 11:53 PM
Yup.

According to NBAStuffer the following don't have analytics departments. Perhaps that's where the article got the numbers.

Atlanta
Chicago
Clippers
Minnesota
New Orleans
Sacramento
Utah

But googling some things...

Atlanta: not sure

Chicago: Definitely does. Thibs was in Boston, one of the first to really dive into analytics. Gar Foreman talks about it frequently

Clippers: seems uncertain...but probably not. I'm sure with Doc around there will be a push. But Sterling is an old fart so who knows

Wolves: Absolutely do. http://www.twincities.com/ci_23071784/sports-new-math-timberwolves-have-embraced-use-analytics

Pelicans: no idea

Kings: the new regime is all in!

Jazz: have one

Hard to determine the capacity but I know a lot of these teams have pretty big ones and funnel a lot of money into it.

It looks like the Hawks (?), Pellies (?) and Clippers (?) might the only teams that actually don't

Perfect job for Chronz.

Chronz
10-29-2013, 01:08 AM
Jim Buss believes in analytics and that's how he sees the game and predicates that on how a team should be constructed and what type of system should be run by the coach that runs that system. This is why he chose Mike D'Antoni of all people. Phil Jackson said in an interview last yr that Jim Buss views the game differently and bases his views on analytics and statistics.

Ever since Jim Buss was put at the helm following the Lakers 2010 championship, not making the trade for Bynum for Carmelo Anthony at the 2011 deadline, and the following summer getting rid of any semblance of Phil Jackson and his triangle offense, the Lakers have been well...

The Lakers with the idiot owner son have become a part of this new cult and analytics Nazi movement.

Phil Jackson just came out a few days ago saying that we won't seeing him as a figure in the Lakers organization until there are considerable "SEISMIC SHIFT", and that shift is getting rid of Jim Buss and his analytics crap and ego and incompetence and putting Jeanie Buss at the helm (who shares the same views as her father the late Dr. Buss). That's the only way Phil would come into the organization.

Doubt Jim knows jack **** about stats, from what I've heard, the Lakers dont even send a rep to the annual stat convention that Morey runs. Who told you this story?

jerellh528
10-29-2013, 01:11 AM
What is this saying? I'm surprised all teams dot have one in every sport. I mean why are stats tracked anyways? To get a general idea of how productive a player can be in a given situation. You would think every team has a staff to keep track of that.

Guppyfighter
10-29-2013, 01:13 AM

Things people in the past said about anything that improved how we look at the world for $500. Get with the times or end up with the rest of people who thought paper would ruin society, contraception was devil work, and their is no way the Earth is round.

Ignorance isn't bliss.

P&GRealist
10-29-2013, 03:10 AM
This is the video where Phil Jackson talks about Jim Buss being a stats guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBZb_X5qjMg

JNA17
10-29-2013, 03:23 AM
great, more stats...****ing numbers am I right?

b@llhog24
10-29-2013, 08:51 AM
stats are bad

This.

Almighty Push
10-29-2013, 10:11 AM

Well, of course, with Jeanie in and Jim out that pretty much implies that Phil will be in the center of things, which is pretty much what he wants. He should've just said it outright rather than citing some "analytics cult" baloney.

Almighty Push
10-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Statistics reveals a lot of things about the game, but it feels like as of late it's turning more into a dick whipping contest.

lol, please
10-29-2013, 12:08 PM
wonder when the fashion will go down the toilet.
i say psicoanalyst would be more important to have,.

stats are bad

:facepalm:

Yea math is overrated, number are overrated, and inconsistent. Who uses math?

lol, please
10-29-2013, 12:09 PM
Statistics reveals a lot of things about the game, but it feels like as of late it's turning more into a dick whipping contest.

I'm not sure what this is, but it sounds painful, and nothing like a contest I would be trying to win.

Swashcuff
10-29-2013, 12:17 PM
Advanced stats have no place in the NBA

RiLoc
10-29-2013, 12:47 PM
:eyebrow: Sometimes I read these threads about stats and can't discern who's trolling and who's being sincere.

D-Leethal
10-29-2013, 12:56 PM
stats are bad

Misused is a better way to phrase it then overrated although they kind of go hand in hand.

There are plenty of wonderful ways you can dissect and improve your own team with these analytics. And when you have the resources and can afford it why the hell wouldnt you hire an analytic department like any major company?

They are just never going to be an accurate criteria for 'rating' players in the NBA. The nature of the game wont allow for it. Thats the only beef you will hear from me.

You guys think they are drooling over win shares or finding hot spots/player combinations/success with certain plays and the-like?

Chronz
10-29-2013, 01:16 PM
This is the video where Phil Jackson talks about Jim Buss being a stats guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBZb_X5qjMg

Not sure what to make of the vid but from what I've read, the Lakers dont even have a legit stat consultant and weren't among the teams ahead of the pace installing sportsvu cams and what not. Could be wrong but nothing the Lakers do ever screams analytical, it seems the exact opposite. Phil didn't really mention anything but he brought up Bynum as if he was a bad pick, didn't Phil want to take Sean May back then ? lol . If Jim and Mitch are trying to use numbers maybe they should get people who actually understand them. I remember hearing **** about Mike Brown trying to be a numbers guy but he sounds equally inept, reminds me of the time Mike Dunleavy tried to justify his players low Fg% with eFG%, only not understanding the story it still told.

P&GRealist
10-29-2013, 02:40 PM
^Yeah you may be right. But it's weird, I just found this article where Jim's younger brother Joey describes how during their birthdays, Jim would go with his dad to horse racing events and he picked up on the skill of handicapping, which is determining which horse had the best chance to win, and said he's applied it to basketball. It says handicapping is not much of a computational analysis but more of a creative thinking analysis type of thing.

I don't see Jim Buss as much of a creative thinker, or else he wouldn't have pulled off that bad timing of the Chris Paul trade the day after he CBA was agreed upon.