PDA

View Full Version : Could J.R. Smith be a star?

jstone0716
10-28-2013, 04:17 PM
Always thought this guy could end up being a super star if given the reigns of a teams. What do you guys think of him at this point in his career? He's 28 and seems to have finally matured, probably still has 3-4 years before he starts to slow down. Do you think he could make an all star team? Earn a big contract? Be "the man" for a few years?

What would his ceiling have been if he was a more mature guy coming out of HS? Didn't smoke weed, worked on his game more, shot selection, defense, etc.? I'm thinking he could have been right up there with Rose, Westbrook, Harden.. those guys.

TrueFan420
10-28-2013, 04:21 PM
No

flea
10-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Maybe in a South American league somewhere.

Chromehounds
10-28-2013, 04:24 PM
In his own little mind, he is already a Star. ;)

nycericanguy
10-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Maybe in a South American league somewhere.

lol!

There is a perception that JR got better last year, as a Knick fan I don't see it.

He was still the same low 40's FG, chucking, questionable shot selection, inefficient, avoiding contact, partying and smoking before games...etc...

We just got to see 33 mpg of it instead of the usual 25mpg.

And of course he disappeared in the playoffs again and left Melo to fend for himself.

abe_froman
10-28-2013, 04:30 PM
ahahahahahahaha :laugh:

jstone0716
10-28-2013, 04:32 PM
I don't think he got better. The skill has always been there, he's the only one standing in his way. From what I understand he has backed away from the partying and is actually putting basketball #1 for once. The thread was more made to discuss what ifs rather than his current resume, which is know is pretty crappy.

Cal827
10-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Lolololol

N3TS
10-28-2013, 04:49 PM
I think he could be a 20 ppg scorer on a bad team, but that would also be followed by a not so attractive FG% to accompany it. In my opinion he's best suited as a sixth man and thats what he pretty much is right now.

AddiX
10-28-2013, 05:01 PM
Jr. Def made leaps in the last 2 Years, but he's not a star.

The only thing separating from him being in the same level as consistent all stars, is that hes not consistent. Ability wise he can do anything they can and more.

SportsFanatic10
10-28-2013, 05:06 PM
no way! he does have talent and can be a volume scorer when he's got it going, but his game isn't well rounded enough to be a super star. he doesn't have the basketball iq either, and when his shot is off he'll shoot his team out of games.

krisxsong
10-28-2013, 05:27 PM
He has all the talent and all the physical ability to be a star. He could average 25 ppg. He has handles, he can pass, he can drive to the basket, he can finish, he can shoot, he can get off his own shot, he can dribble by many defenders, he's super athletic, he's quick/fast.

The problem is the mental aspect to his game. He has no idea what a smart shot is and he doesn't even try on defense. His shot selection is so poor. I believe in Denver he averaged 10 3's per game a couple of seasons.

Hawkeye15
10-28-2013, 05:27 PM
absolutely not. He is plagued by inconsistency and suspect decision making. His athletic ability and skill level are there, but his brain is not.

D-Leethal
10-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Jr. Def made leaps in the last 2 Years, but he's not a star.

The only thing separating from him being in the same level as consistent all stars, is that hes not consistent. Ability wise he can do anything they can and more.

Agreed with the bold. To be honest I'm not sure there is a SG in the league who can match his raw talent and ability to go with his insane athleticism. He just hasn't been able to put it all together consistently and he is seriously the streakiest player I have ever seen and thats after having the pleasure of watching Jamal Crawford for years. I've never seen a guy hit such low lows for extended stretches and follow it up with such high highs for extended stretches. He goes into baseball type slumps and hot streaks.

TheMightyHumph
10-28-2013, 05:58 PM
In his own little mind, he is already a Star. ;)

No, in there, he is a superstar.

TheMightyHumph
10-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Agreed with the bold. To be honest I'm not sure there is a SG in the league who can match his raw talent and ability to go with his insane athleticism. He just hasn't been able to put it all together consistently and he is seriously the streakiest player I have ever seen and thats after having the pleasure of watching Jamal Crawford for years. I've never seen a guy hit such low lows for extended stretches and follow it up with such high highs for extended stretches. He goes into baseball type slumps and hot streaks.

Somebody is a Knick fan

5ass
10-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Maybe after a brain transplant.

3RDASYSTEM
10-28-2013, 06:15 PM
Had he played in la and won 6th man of the year the fanbase would sware he was going to be the next bean or a combined version of VINNY MICRO-RICKY PIERCE with IVERSON like jumping ability

add in 3 rings and im sure SMITH would be a champion on drugs, and 6th man of year trophy to add

he has talent and game so what more could he do to become a star if he didn't achieve that with DENVER?

can he sell out arenas? is he box office selling jerseys like crazy here in U.S. and global?

he has a STAR's mentality and has a streaky but good shot to match, he has STAR jumping/dunking ability

I feel like he was a small STAR in DENVER, now he is a small STAR playing in super over hyped market in NYC, still the same player but won 6th man of year

reminds me of bean in la when talking about could this guy or that guy be a STAR after 3yrs in the league, its pretty clear the make up of that player's game, easily

if he was a STAR then NUGGS wouldn't have let him walk

DallasTrilla23
10-28-2013, 06:23 PM
He's as good as he's gonna get imo

mdm692
10-28-2013, 06:41 PM
Always thought this guy could end up being a super star if given the reigns of a teams. What do you guys think of him at this point in his career? He's 28 and seems to have finally matured, probably still has 3-4 years before he starts to slow down. Do you think he could make an all star team? Earn a big contract? Be "the man" for a few years?

What would his ceiling have been if he was a more mature guy coming out of HS? Didn't smoke weed, worked on his game more, shot selection, defense, etc.? I'm thinking he could have been right up there with Rose, Westbrook, Harden.. those guys.

When did that happen?

SportsFanatic10
10-28-2013, 06:45 PM

he's talented, but that's pushing it a little far.

Goose17
10-28-2013, 07:03 PM
No.

JesusNYY_Savior
10-28-2013, 07:05 PM
He's as good as he's gonna get imo
This

NYKnickFanatic
10-28-2013, 07:06 PM
JR is a star...

Kashmir13579
10-28-2013, 07:16 PM

It probably has to do with all the ecstasy he's taken over the years.

Max.This
10-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Superstar.

ManningToTyree
10-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Maybe after a brain transplant. I came in here to make a similar joke. :cheers:

meloman1592
10-28-2013, 07:43 PM
Ability and skill? Yes
Iq and work ethic? No

BirdIsTheWord
10-28-2013, 08:00 PM
It just isn't going to happen at this point. Being a Nuggets fan I kept waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting for it to happen but it just didn't. There was an interview with his dad a while back which explained a lot.

ldawg
10-28-2013, 08:39 PM
jr Smith = Beasley both guys have raw talent but cant put it together.

ManningToTyree
10-28-2013, 08:55 PM
I get the comparison but jr is above Beasley. He can at least contribute

DallasTrilla23
10-28-2013, 09:03 PM
I get the comparison but jr is above Beasley. He can at least contribute

Atleast he bangs celebrities

b@llhog24
10-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Lmao.

nycericanguy
10-29-2013, 09:05 AM
I really think JR is at least mildly ********, and well... for a ******... you gotta admit he's done pretty well for himself.

3RDASYSTEM
10-29-2013, 09:25 AM
Just days after Miami Heat forward LeBron James listed Allen Iverson and Michael Jordan as his childhood idols, the NBA's reigning MVP continued to heap praise on the former Philadelphia 76ers star.

"Pound-for-pound, probably the greatest player who ever played," James said of Iverson, who will retire in a Sixers pregame ceremony ahead of Wednesday's home opener against the defending champion Heat.

NoahH
10-29-2013, 11:56 AM
You could make the 'could have been a star' for a bunch of players... So many players HAVE the talent and skill, but don;t choose to use it or they throw it away by being mentally unstable, have substance abuse issues or have other issues like lack of work ethic. The list goes on and on...

Derrick Coleman (fat and work ethic)
Michael Beasley (drugs and mental issues)
Steve Francis (attitude)
Robert Traylor (fat)
Eddy Curry (couldnt stop eating big macs)
JR Smith (me first attitude and bad attitude)
etc. etc. etc.

LongIslandIcedZ
10-29-2013, 12:01 PM
I'd say his combination of natural ability and athleticism puts him at the top of the league.

Unfortunately, there is more to basketball than those two things. He is not an intelligent player. His shot selection is what kills him. The guy has the ability to get to the rim at well, but instead chooses to take baseline fade aways. The potential has been there for years, but there is no chance he ever realizes it.

Mr_Jones
10-29-2013, 12:07 PM
HA! No.

MrfadeawayJB
10-29-2013, 12:31 PM
Could...yes. Will he? No

NYKnickFanatic
10-29-2013, 01:13 PM
You could make the 'could have been a star' for a bunch of players... So many players HAVE the talent and skill, but don;t choose to use it or they throw it away by being mentally unstable, have substance abuse issues or have other issues like lack of work ethic. The list goes on and on...

Derrick Coleman (fat and work ethic)
Michael Beasley (drugs and mental issues)
Steve Francis (attitude)
Robert Traylor (fat)
Eddy "Come touch it, Dave" Curry (couldnt stop eating big macs)
JR Smith (me first attitude and bad attitude)
etc. etc. etc.

Fixed.

FreakaNashur
10-29-2013, 03:02 PM
No because Melo