PDA

View Full Version : Will we ever see a player play nba games in 4 different decades?

Hellcrooner
10-27-2013, 01:50 AM
There have been a couple of 3 decade players like Jordan, Kobe, kareem etc.

But none reached the 4th decade, Kareem was close tough ( had he played one more season he would have played in 1969, 1979, 1989, 1990)

No one has come close to that ever since.

ITs a difficult thing to do ( specially since you no longer can jump from HS to nba)
It definnetly needs to be a 20x9 drafted player that manages to stay fit into his 40s to be able to play an 20x0 season 21 years later.

Possible?

The biggest Pro longevity story i have found is Darryl Middletons but he only played a bit in nba and has made his Pro career in europe.
Born in 1966 he is STILL PLAYING this season ( in a very very bad team from a 4th tier división in spain.....hardly "pro").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darryl_Middleton

tredigs
10-27-2013, 02:08 AM
I feel like Harden has a game that can last him until that beard's gray. And he came in young in the 2009 class. That'll be my NBA Future bet of the decade(s). I'll check back in the year 2030 to see if he's still out there hitting floaters, playing against kids who weren't born yet 4 years ago.

dhopisthename
10-27-2013, 02:09 AM
in order to do it you would have to play 21 years or more and start in a '9 season. This is one of those if basketball went on forever then yes it would happen, but given the data we have now it would be a magnificent outlier that would likely only be achieved because a player wanted to accomplish it. there have been 2 players in the whole history of the nba to ever even play 21 season although it will be interesting to see if that number goes up with the advent of players going to nba after high school/1 year of college.

JasonJohnHorn
10-27-2013, 02:17 AM
If you get a guy who is 19 as a rookie and plays to 41 and happens to be drafted in 1999, 2009 or 2019, then yeah... There have been guys who played 20 seasons. I think there are guys who could play 22. If Duncan had come in in 99 instead of 96, he could have pulled it off.

I don't see anybody in 09 that I think could pull it off, but in 08 there are a couple of guys. Roy Hibbert (though he was 22). Kevin Love was only 20, so if he played to 43 he could?

I'd expect it would be a guy like Kareem, or Moses or Parish or Hakeem or K. Malone. Post player with good muscle mass and conditioning. It's just a matter of timing. Jordan might have been able to pull it off as well. There may be a couple of wings guys that could have done it if they had been drafted int he right year.

Minimal
10-27-2013, 04:46 AM
I would put my money on Durant, but its a really hard feat to accomplish.

PhillyFaninLA
10-27-2013, 05:11 AM
I can't see a starter doing it, but I wouldn't be surprised if you have a good enough 7th or 8th man off do it. Starters probably put to much strain on the body, but someone good enough for 10 minutes off the bench for 22 years i could see....maybe even a guy that has a great stretch as a starter for 4 or 5 years and gets injured comes back a little slowed up and becomes a bench player

PhillyFaninLA
10-27-2013, 05:56 AM

Hellcrooner
10-27-2013, 03:03 PM
Wonder if KG will have the drive to play until 44.
His body can probably hold it up ( with a disminishing role) but im not sure he will be motivated to do so.

Goose17
10-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Jermaine O'Neal might have been able to do it if it wasn't for his personal life and his knee's.

Hawkeye15
10-27-2013, 03:34 PM
I feel like Harden has a game that can last him until that beard's gray. And he came in young in the 2009 class. That'll be my NBA Future bet of the decade(s). I'll check back in the year 2030 to see if he's still out there hitting floaters, playing against kids who weren't born yet 4 years ago.

really? He has that Manu style that promotes injuries by 30-32, I think the opposite on Harden.

It's possible, I suppose. But with the money being so great now, a player in his late 30's still playing just isn't as common, let alone a 42 year old coming out.

Hawkeye15
10-27-2013, 03:35 PM
It would for sure have to be someone whose rookie year was ending in an 8-9', and he needs to start by age 19 or so.

Hawkeye15
10-27-2013, 03:37 PM
If you get a guy who is 19 as a rookie and plays to 41 and happens to be drafted in 1999, 2009 or 2019, then yeah... There have been guys who played 20 seasons. I think there are guys who could play 22. If Duncan had come in in 99 instead of 96, he could have pulled it off.

I don't see anybody in 09 that I think could pull it off, but in 08 there are a couple of guys. Roy Hibbert (though he was 22). Kevin Love was only 20, so if he played to 43 he could?

I'd expect it would be a guy like Kareem, or Moses or Parish or Hakeem or K. Malone. Post player with good muscle mass and conditioning. It's just a matter of timing. Jordan might have been able to pull it off as well. There may be a couple of wings guys that could have done it if they had been drafted int he right year.

everyone knows I am a huge Wolves fan, but Love already misses 15 games a year, and has a body that will not hold up for 22 seasons.

todu82
10-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Be fun to see, in hockey Gordie Howe did it, be interesting to see if a NBA guy could do it.

Almighty Push
10-27-2013, 06:25 PM
The way Brian Cook's still able to latch on to an NBA roster despite being absolute garbage, then it's probably going to be someone like him who doesn't break down easily (he doesn't have much to begin with).

D_Rose1118
10-27-2013, 06:32 PM
i feel it would have to be a big man, i dont think a guard could keep up with the guards they would be playing who were born after they were drafted

Jenceman
10-27-2013, 06:37 PM

Lol what?

Dude's game is predicated on drawing fouls. That usually does not lead to longevity.

ohreally
10-27-2013, 07:00 PM
Technically, a decade doesn't begin until the 00 year is played out. So a player could start in a 00 year and play 20 years, ending in mid-year of the x1 year.

JesusNYY_Savior
10-27-2013, 07:05 PM
How many more years would Kobe have to play

bleedprple&gold
10-27-2013, 07:24 PM
How many more years would Kobe have to play

He would have to play until 2020.

Matrix3132
10-27-2013, 07:26 PM
It's better to ask whether anyone can play 21 years rather than literally 4 decades, which are obviously just arbitrary numbers. It's kind of ridiculous to just limit this type of feat to just players who happen to go pro in a 2009/2019/etc.

tredigs
10-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Lol what?

Dude's game is predicated on drawing fouls. That usually does not lead to longevity.

Dumb. You say that because he's great at it, but take away all his foul drawing ability and he's still a very good player. Great playmaker + shooter and good size for his position. Plus, ultra durable in his 4 pro seasons + 2 in college.

I doubt he plays past 37, but I see Harden here for a while.

FlashBolt
10-27-2013, 09:07 PM
Andre Drummond.

Minimal
10-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Well the best chance right now has Al Harrington. He played in 1999 and is 33 years old now. If he stays in the league up to 40 years old he will accomplish this feat.

Drummond#1
10-27-2013, 09:22 PM
I can see Dirk retiring then coming back in 2020 as a role player like Sheed and others have.

Hawkeye15
10-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Dumb. You say that because he's great at it, but take away all his foul drawing ability and he's still a very good player. Great playmaker + shooter and good size for his position. Plus, ultra durable in his 4 pro seasons + 2 in college.

you went past my post on this, but I think the opposite on Harden. His style is indicative of injuries in his early 30's. I don't think he makes it nearly long enough to enter this topic.

JasonJohnHorn
10-27-2013, 10:03 PM
everyone knows I am a huge Wolves fan, but Love already misses 15 games a year, and has a body that will not hold up for 22 seasons.

I know... I'm hopeful that the injuries were just bad luck. That hand injury? I think that was a fluke. It's not like Ralph Sampson/Sam Bowie/Bill Walton/Yao Ming foot/knee injuries that ruin their careers. Know what I mean?

I wouldn't put my money on it, but I would like to see it. I love his offensive game and rebounding.

How's his defence doing? I've heard he's improved, but I didn't get to see him at all last year.

tredigs
10-27-2013, 10:09 PM
you went past my post on this, but I think the opposite on Harden. His style is indicative of injuries in his early 30's. I don't think he makes it nearly long enough to enter this topic.

My bad I missed that. The thing with Harden is that as many fouls as he draws, I feel like the vast majority are light slaps on his hands from holding it out and streaming the lane, or body fouls. And with his level of body control, he rarely if ever goes down awkardly, which is a big reason why he's never injured. His style and shooting prowess is also built to be able to play off the ball and nail 3's more often as he ages. But who knows, we'll see.

NetsPaint
10-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Andre Miller seems to be a possibility.

Also health advancements could change the average age of retirement for even superstars.

Hawkeye15
10-27-2013, 11:41 PM
My bad I missed that. The thing with Harden is that as many fouls as he draws, I feel like the vast majority are light slaps on his hands from holding it out and streaming the lane, or body fouls. And with his level of body control, he rarely if ever goes down awkardly, which is a big reason why he's never injured. His style and shooting prowess is also built to be able to play off the ball and nail 3's more often as he ages. But who knows, we'll see.

I don't deny that over time (and I mean quickly, because it needs to happen), Harden stays away from pounding the paint looking for contact. But he has the Manu game. I wouldn't put him with Wade, the crashing style, and the biggest difference in my comparison is that Harden won't be competing for a national team ever summer, but his style of play is drawing contact, outside his high level of 3's. It's just not a great way to last 20 seasons.

Don't forget, this elusiveness you speak of is in his game now. How about in 6 years? 10 years?

Can't stay young forever..

Hawkeye15
10-27-2013, 11:43 PM
I know... I'm hopeful that the injuries were just bad luck. That hand injury? I think that was a fluke. It's not like Ralph Sampson/Sam Bowie/Bill Walton/Yao Ming foot/knee injuries that ruin their careers. Know what I mean?

I wouldn't put my money on it, but I would like to see it. I love his offensive game and rebounding.

How's his defence doing? I've heard he's improved, but I didn't get to see him at all last year.

off topic (Love aint lasting 22 seasons), his defense is underrated. Has been for 3 years.

DreamShaker
10-28-2013, 12:15 AM
My money is on Greg Oden. But seriously, Kareem was so close! I think it will be a big man or a Stockton/Nash type guy. Didn't Gordie Howe play 5 decades in Hockey?

N3TS
10-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Even with modern medicine, I think its too much of stretch to expect someone to essentially play a minimum of 21 seasons in the NBA. Although I think its possible, but very unlikely. I just don't think any current NBAer will be able to overcome that feat, with the very unlikely distant outside chance that MJ comes back to play a game.

tredigs
10-28-2013, 04:55 PM
My money is on Greg Oden. But seriously, Kareem was so close! I think it will be a big man or a Stockton/Nash type guy. Didn't Gordie Howe play 5 decades in Hockey?

WOW! I had no idea Gordie Howe played that long, I had to check that out. The guy played from 1947 to 1980, an really never missed time due to injury. Insane. And apparently he came back at age 69 to play 1 shift in the NHL in the late 90's. So technically he played in 6 different decades.

JWO35
10-28-2013, 05:04 PM
I don't see anyone currently doing it unless the NBA allows HS guys in again. And then said person would have to be drafted in a year ending with a 8 or 9. So it may be a 13yr old somewhere that will play in the NBA until he's 40 :laugh2:

Jenceman
10-28-2013, 05:58 PM

Umn, duh? What are you even getting at with your first sentence?

His type of playing style doesn't lend to longevity. Of course he can change it up, but why would he? He only shot 43% from the field, but was efficient due to getting to the line. Methinks he won't change until it's too late.