PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question?: Signing, Then Waiving "Scrubs"

kobe4thewinbang
10-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Why do teams do this? They'll sign a guy, it'll get reported, but then a few days later, that player will be cut loose. I don't get it?

:eyebrow:

beasted86
10-26-2013, 04:29 PM
Sometimes those "scrubs" pan out. You might get a Ben Wallace, who knows. If not a DPOY, maybe settle for a Udonis Haslem. Either way I think it is against the rules that you can't have a player training and practicing without being under contract for insurance purposes.

So to teams it might be worth it to spend $5k or whatever it is for an extended look in practice.

MrfadeawayJB
10-26-2013, 05:19 PM
I think the josh Howard thing was because maybe they signed him and he did not have good chemistry with the spurs so they waived him

Saddletramp
10-26-2013, 07:14 PM
They do it to obtain the players D-League rights.

JasonJohnHorn
10-26-2013, 08:38 PM
They need a guy are a certain position, so they bring in a guy based on experience and/or reputation. He shows up, but he's not playing at a high level or has no chemistry with the team, so they cut him while they can.

It's like hiring somebody, and then after a couple of weeks it's clear they are not working out so you let them go.

bleedprple&gold
10-26-2013, 09:02 PM
They have non-guaranteed contracts. You can bring someone in for a couple of weeks and see how they do, then you can cut them and only have to pay for the time they play. Also, teams bring in more players to training camp then they can hold on a team so they know they will have to cut people. Happens in every sport.

RealLiveBear
10-26-2013, 09:17 PM
They do it to obtain the players D-League rights.

This right here is the reason

kdspurman
10-26-2013, 09:37 PM
I think the josh Howard thing was because maybe they signed him and he did not have good chemistry with the spurs so they waived him

yea, like someone else said they waived him and he will play with their d-league affiliate, where they can monitor his health/progress. I believe you're allowed to waive 3 players from the pre-season roster and assign them to the d-league (assuming they clear waivers)

so if they see he's doing good enough in the d-league, they (or any team for that matter) would be able to call him up and probably offer a series of 10 day contracts before "officially" adding them

kobe4thewinbang
10-27-2013, 12:18 AM
Okay. Thanks, guys. I appreciate the answers. It's always mystified me.