PDA

View Full Version : Good or Bad: NBA's Emphasis on Illegal Screens

shep33
10-24-2013, 10:12 PM
I doubt the rule carries over as strictly in the regular season. The game is getting stopped way too often this preseason... It's slowing down games tremendously.

What do you guys think? At least anyone who has been watching some preseason games

Clippersfan86
10-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Love it. Got tired of seeing guys like KG/Duncan constantly committing illegal screens, never getting called for it.. but the minute a scrub does it... they foul out rapidly. I actually love a lot of the new emphasis points like this, outside of that idiotic delay of game one.

shep33
10-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Love it. Got tired of seeing guys like KG/Duncan constantly committing illegal screens, never getting called for it.. but the minute a scrub does it... they foul out rapidly. I actually love a lot of the new emphasis points like this, outside of that idiotic delay of game one.

The delay of game one is absolutely stupid.

KG literally sets an illegal screen every possession down the court. I just wonder how much they'll actually emphasize it.

Just seems like it's getting called way too much at the same time. Probably because everything in the NBA is predicated on pick and roll now.

kdspurman
10-24-2013, 10:25 PM
I would think they'll stop calling it as much come regular season.

shep33
10-24-2013, 10:28 PM
I would think they'll stop calling it as much come regular season.

Pretty sure that's going to happen. If for whatever reason they call it as they have been in preseason, it's going to suck.

I mean guys like Dwight, etc. get into foul trouble so easily without those types of fouls.

kdspurman
10-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Pretty sure that's going to happen. If for whatever reason they call it as they have been in preseason, it's going to suck.

I mean guys like Dwight, etc. get into foul trouble so easily without those types of fouls.

Yea, I just don't see them doing that. I mean they don't want to slow the games down, (though their new delay of game rule is doing the opposite of what they want) so I can't see them calling more moving screens. I mean guys carry the ball literally every game but it's hardly called anymore lol

Clippersfan86
10-24-2013, 11:33 PM
Palming/carrying is another point of emphasis for the league this year, as are flagrant fouls. Palming+illegal screens+cheap shots being cracked down out will be FANTASTIC for the NBA if they stick to it. Just like flopping fines last year, which unfortunately CP3 is trying to contest, not sure why. Anybody notice last year teams across the board, especially the Spurs, Clippers, Heat who probably were the worst offenders... stopped flopping pretty much entirely. Few flops here and there, but the fines and attention the NBA put on it made a huge difference.

Tony_Starks
10-24-2013, 11:46 PM
Too little, too late. Just like the new so called emphasis on traveling. Just window dressing.

I do find it funny that the league supposedly literally showed footage of KG setting picks as examples of illegal screens though. This may be the KG rule....

TheMightyHumph
10-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Even though I'm a Net fan and KG is a Net, I like the rule.

No moving screens.

Yao Ming would have had a big problem with this rule

C_Mund
10-25-2013, 12:07 PM
This is great. As much as I love to see a high-scoring affair, the NBA has become a league that tries its best to stop good defenders from doing their thing. The offensive players have enough advantage as it is, based off the rules of the game.

Clippersfan86
10-25-2013, 12:15 PM
If new traveling emphasis stays, watch Lebron and Harden lose 5 ppg on their averages lol.

beasted86
10-25-2013, 12:31 PM
I never understood this type of thing... why should there be an emphasis on anything?

Either the rule was broken, or it wasn't broken. Either the refs will blow the whistle for a broken rule, or they won't blow the whistle. There should be an emphasis on getting ALL calls correct, not just certain ones each season. It's not like any of these rules have changed except for the touching of the basketball after a basket.

So basically what the NBA is saying is "We acknowledge a crap load of players were travelling and setting illegal screens before. Yes, we blew all of those calls, but now we are going to try not to blow as many of these calls."

Guys like KG and Tyson Chandler have been setting illegal screens their entire career. I wonder if "just now" the refs will start seeing it, or if they were blind before.

ManningToTyree
10-25-2013, 12:44 PM
This is good. Everyone was getting away with moving or throwing the shoulder last year

72 Wins
10-25-2013, 01:10 PM
I'm seeing this called quite a bit. Just thought it was weird, and a coincidence (until now).