PDA

View Full Version : White doesn't have to worry about flying anymore

Stunner
10-24-2013, 09:14 PM
http://nba.si.com/2013/10/24/royce-white-released-cut-waived-philadelphia-76ers/

topdog
10-24-2013, 09:57 PM
The guy just isn't worth it. He reminded me of how people were talking about Terrence Williams when he came out.

I think he's a poor representative for those with mental health issues with his insistence on turning everybody in the league offices into enemies in a very public manor while being very ambiguous publicly about what he wanted out of them.

beasted86
10-24-2013, 10:07 PM
Have we seen this before? A lottery pick that wasn't injured, but never played 1 regular season game of his guaranteed 2yr deal?

This guy is laughing to the bank with $3.4M. I hope he knows how to invest his money properly.

Mcdoh
10-24-2013, 10:33 PM
because of flying issue he lost his nba career..

JEDean89
10-24-2013, 10:50 PM
He wasn't a lottery pick he was 16th, but ya he was taken on upside and he just hasn't panned out. I think if he can figure out a mental gameplan to complete an nba season but no nba team is gonna deal with a primadonna if he isn't even good. I mean, If Lebron hated flying he would still be playing every game but this is Royce White, he is not worth the trouble on any NBA team and his taking to Twitter to call out the NBA did him no favors.

beasted86
10-24-2013, 10:57 PM
He wasn't a lottery pick he was 16th, but ya he was taken on upside and he just hasn't panned out. I think if he can figure out a mental gameplan to complete an nba season but no nba team is gonna deal with a primadonna if he isn't even good. I mean, If Lebron hated flying he would still be playing every game but this is Royce White, he is not worth the trouble on any NBA team and his taking to Twitter to call out the NBA did him no favors.
My bad, you are right.

Tony_Starks
10-24-2013, 10:59 PM
He'll parlay it into speaking gigs, interviews, and the like. They were already talking about him on CNN when this stuff first started going down. ( and all the psych experts said it shouldn't interfere with his career btw)

I'm just mad that he took a serious, legitimate disorder and tried to pimp it for attention. It could've been a "I have this and I overcame it" inspirational story. Instead he chose the route of helpless victim.

DallasTrilla23
10-24-2013, 11:00 PM
He can't even go play in Europe.

pd7631
10-24-2013, 11:03 PM
His release was based just as much on his play in the preseason as it was his anxiety issues. While he did show flashes of his ability, he committed too many turnovers and was a walking foul. A lot of that had to do with the fact that he just wasn't in the type of shape he needed to be in at this stage, and I'd think that being out of the game for the better part of a year contributed heavily to that.

He'll probably be given a spot on the Sixers new D-League team in Delaware, and might get another look if he does well there. The one thing that has gone well is his relationship with the team and the fact that he feels like the organization and himself are on the same page as far as his mental health is concerned, and there have been no issues in that regard since he's been here.

Best of luck to him whether he makes it in the league (Sixer or not), or moves onto something else. He's definitely a unique player with a high level of skill.

beasted86
10-24-2013, 11:23 PM
His release was based just as much on his play in the preseason as it was his anxiety issues. While he did show flashes of his ability, he committed too many turnovers and was a walking foul. A lot of that had to do with the fact that he just wasn't in the type of shape he needed to be in at this stage, and I'd think that being out of the game for the better part of a year contributed heavily to that.

He'll probably be given a spot on the Sixers new D-League team in Delaware, and might get another look if he does well there. The one thing that has gone well is his relationship with the team and the fact that he feels like the organization and himself are on the same page as far as his mental health is concerned, and there have been no issues in that regard since he's been here.

Best of luck to him whether he makes it in the league (Sixer or not), or moves onto something else. He's definitely a unique player with a high level of skill.
Why would they waive a guy with a guaranteed contract just to sign him back again? I think his time in Philly is done.

Your comment about him not being in shape is the very reason why I disliked Royce White. It had nothing to do with him unwilling to take orders in a situation he felt was unsafe for his well-being in Houston. I can reason with that. It was that instead of staying focused on the basketball side of things, and being in shape, and letting his agent and doctors work out the politics of travel, he instead was yapping his mouth off and tweeting.

I hope he never plays a game in the NBA.

pd7631
10-24-2013, 11:35 PM
Why would they waive a guy with a guaranteed contract just to sign him back again? I think his time in Philly is done.

Your comment about him not being in shape is the very reason why I disliked Royce White. It had nothing to do with him unwilling to take orders in a situation he felt was unsafe for his well-being in Houston. I can reason with that. It was that instead of staying focused on the basketball side of things, and being in shape, and letting his agent and doctors work out the politics of travel, he instead was yapping his mouth off and tweeting.

Seems like a lot of hatred for someone that's done nothing to you. Rockets fans might have a reason to dislike him, but I don't agree with those that do.

Anyway, in regards to him being done in Philly....

Sixers still capable of keeping him for the Sevens. NBA clubs can option 3 TC cuts to the D-League- Tom Moore (@tmoore76ers)

GunFactor187
10-24-2013, 11:35 PM
By Matt Moore | NBA writer
October 24, 2013 7:55 pm ET

Just a year after he first opened his NBA career, then with the Houston Rockets, Royce White's career is reportedly over for the time being.

White, who struggles with anxiety disorder and who clashed with Rockets officials constantly in Houston, was thought to have been turning over a new leaf with a tanking rebuilding Philadelphia team. White, who does struggle with the condition but also routinely has clashed with anyone attempting to build structure around him.

He was traded on July 5th from Houston to Philly as a move between 76ers GM Sam Hinkie and his former boss Daryl Morey. In mid-October, he did actually play in a preseason game, and coach Brett Brown had expressed hope that White could hold onto a spot. But apparently not.

White told reporters last spring that some people in the NBA "want (him) gone." The former Iowa State Cyclone is only 22, and is clearly still talented. The question will be whether White will make enough of an effort to get on with another team, and if that team will be willing to deal with what is a pretty clear history of behavior disruptive to the team concept. I wrote about the kind of struggles White would face in the NBA with his condition last year before the whole mess started, but from the beginning it's seemed like the problem goes further than the mental condition he deals with. We'll see if he can grab on somewhere.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24132467/report-76ers-release-royce-white

John Walls Era
10-24-2013, 11:36 PM
Hope he has a safe flight home.

beasted86
10-24-2013, 11:41 PM
Seems like a lot of hatred for someone that's done nothing to you. Rockets fans might have a reason to dislike him, but I don't agree with those that do.

Anyway, in regards to him being done in Philly....

No "hatred", I didn't even use the word "hate". As I said in my first post, he has the last laugh because he has his money, and I even wished him the best in investing it and living well. Its just I think a guy of his work ethic and demeanor doesn't belong in the league.

I disliked his lazy lackadaisical approach to the situation, which he also passes off in his interviews. He was living the dream of millions of ballers who never made it to the NBA, and he is out of NBA for now because he spent more time tweeting than training.

GunFactor187
10-24-2013, 11:45 PM
Whoops didn't realize we've already another thread on this, please merge!

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?842043-White-doesn-t-have-to-worry-about-flying-anymore

xabial
10-25-2013, 12:04 AM

:laugh:

xabial
10-25-2013, 12:08 AM
No "hatred", I didn't even use the word "hate". As I said in my first post, he has the last laugh because he has his money, and I even wished him the best in investing it and living well. Its just I think a guy of his work ethic and demeanor doesn't belong in the league.

I disliked his lazy lackadaisical approach to the situation, which he also passes off in his interviews. He was living the dream of millions of ballers who never made it to the NBA, and he is out of NBA for now because he spent more time complaining about the Rockets than training.

Fixed.

Jamiecballer
10-25-2013, 12:20 AM

i don't know if that was just that clever, or if it's just late, but that got me good :)

i would have gone with it's a long walk back to minnesota or something like that but whatever.

FlashBolt
10-25-2013, 07:56 AM
I like how he tries to make it seem as if he's the victim..

IndyRealist
10-25-2013, 08:36 AM

Among his many issues is a pathalogical fear of cardio workouts, which was his first manifestation of anxiety disorder and a known issue. He saw his friend and teammate drop dead of a heart attack while doing wind sprints in middle school(?).

PhillyFaninLA
10-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Wow clever you should be proud make fun of a guy for being cut and having a serious anxiety disorder....bravo bravo

ewing
10-25-2013, 09:57 AM
sucks for him

tnewkirk
10-25-2013, 10:08 AM
good, about time.

Daze9900
10-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Have we seen this before? A lottery pick that wasn't injured, but never played 1 regular season game of his guaranteed 2yr deal?

This guy is laughing to the bank with $3.4M. I hope he knows how to invest his money properly.

Not only this but we've definitely not heard the last of him just yet; bet there will be a lawsuit coming and he's going to play the discrimination card till the wheels fall off followed by some kind of a book or college tour speaking for money on behalf of mental illness. Then when that falls off he'll be a trainer or do basketball camps murica' baby!

DreamShaker
10-25-2013, 11:20 AM

I hope he does as well. He does have 5 kids with different women so probably in trouble. Hope he gets everything turned around. He is still young and talented so hopefully things happen for him.

penuch
10-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Wow clever you should be proud make fun of a guy for being cut and having a serious anxiety disorder....bravo bravo

Yeah making fun of disorders isn't cool, but White has used up all his goodwill. This is a guy who has refused to play ball (literally and figuratively). He refuses to work out and stay in shape. The Rockets tried to work with him and he basically spit in their collective faces and used his disorder as a crutch. He is a woe is me guy and just loves to play the victim.

Snakeyestx
10-25-2013, 12:01 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!

*chuckle* *snort*

LOL!

Sorry... it's just, when you're excited to see a guy get selected, and hope he'll overcome his disabilities, but spends more time making excuses and less actually ballin', you no longer pity the guy.

Dude makes more excuses than Andrew Bynum. ;)

topdog
10-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Among his many issues is a pathalogical fear of cardio workouts, which was his first manifestation of anxiety disorder and a known issue. He saw his friend and teammate drop dead of a heart attack while doing wind sprints in middle school(?).

After seeing a couple comments about his poor shape, I was going to post this. I feel this is the far larger issue as far as his ability to play in the NBA. The fact of the matter is that he simply isn't in a good enough place with his disorders to be in this line of work and I wonder if he ever really thought he was (just musing).

Rndy
10-26-2013, 05:35 AM
People like this just make me sick considering I'd give anything to have NBA talent and this guy wastes it because of a fear of flying? I have a fear on snakes but I'd be in a snakes on the plane without the death of course to play in the NBA.

flea
10-26-2013, 12:15 PM
He's fun on NBA 2k, hope he finds a team and can stick because his skillset is cool.

Swashcuff
10-26-2013, 01:38 PM
People like this just make me sick considering I'd give anything to have NBA talent and this guy wastes it because of a fear of flying? I have a fear on snakes but I'd be in a snakes on the plane without the death of course to play in the NBA.

Fear is one thing, anxiety is another. Read up a bit on his conditions before you get sick that he "wasted" his chance in the league.

PhillyFaninLA
10-26-2013, 02:03 PM
You guys clearly don't understand the difference between anxiety and an anxiety disorder....nothing wrong with that, I suspect most people don't......I'm around people everyday at work that suffer from severe depression, anxiety, and addiction (as well as countless other issues) so I appreciate the affect it has on a person.

MrfadeawayJB
10-26-2013, 03:12 PM
I'll continue to say why not cut his pay in half and let him only play home games. Never needs to get on a plane

JasonJohnHorn
10-26-2013, 08:41 PM
I want to see this guy play. He has some real potential .