PDA

View Full Version : NBA Breakout Players 2013-2014

Il Mago50
10-23-2013, 04:13 PM
http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2013/10/23/11-nba-players-guaranteed-to-break-out-in-2013-14/?utm_source=RantSports&utm_medium=HUBRecirculation&utm_term=NBANBA+PlayersFeatured

Good list of name to break out. The guys on here are clearly ones that don't fit into the OJ Mayo mold of getting more shots from season to season and all save for one show real star potential.

I'm half wondering who the rest of you think will break out that isn't on here?

DubbyDubbs
10-23-2013, 04:37 PM
im wondering if the "one" you're talking about who doesn't have star potential is Lamb or Fournier. I'll put my money on Fournier being the one you're talking about.

Walt
10-23-2013, 04:49 PM
Gordon Hayward.

Swashcuff
10-23-2013, 04:52 PM
http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2013/10/23/11-nba-players-guaranteed-to-break-out-in-2013-14/?utm_source=RantSports&utm_medium=HUBRecirculation&utm_term=NBANBA+PlayersFeatured

Good list of name to break out. The guys on here are clearly ones that don't fit into the OJ Mayo mold of getting more shots from season to season and all save for one show real star potential.

OJ got more shots? That's news to me. IIRC per minute he shot the least amount of shots for his career. Many of those players fit that mold however, Favors, Kanter, Lamb, Drummond, Fournier and Jeff Green are all going to get considerably more PT and shot attempts than they got last year.

Il Mago50
10-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Fournier, I see a good player in him personally but of the two, Lamb has all the tools to become a big time player if he can get the mental side of the game down. I'm not huge on McGee either though, that dude is a serious headcase...imagine what someone like Kobe could do in that kind of body with his mental makeup...#bestcenterofalltime

ManningToTyree
10-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Shumpert
Anthony Davis

Hulk6
10-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Cousins, He will play around and avg 25/15/4 this year.

Hawkeye15
10-23-2013, 05:34 PM

absolutely no he will not. Those are ridiculous numbers for anyone

2-ONE-5
10-23-2013, 05:35 PM

hahahahahaahah

bucketss
10-23-2013, 05:41 PM
derozan has been surprising so far,

Il Mago50
10-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Dude as a Raptors fan, I just don't see it with DD, he's gotten better every year but I've just given up hope that he can be the second or even third best player on a contending team.

macc
10-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Orlando Magic Tobias Harris. Just watch. He'll either be on the all star team or a fringe all star player.

Shammyguy3
10-23-2013, 09:24 PM
My list
Bradley Beal
Anthony Davis
Andre Drummond
Derrick Favors
Jeff Green
Gordon Hayward
Ersan Ilyasova
Jonas Valanciunas

Guppyfighter
10-23-2013, 09:27 PM
GORDON HAYWAY

He will break out.

Tony_Starks
10-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Brandon Jennings makes all star this year. Finally has a team around him.

Guppyfighter
10-23-2013, 09:30 PM

LOL

Okay, Starks. I forgot not having a team around you made it so you never finish one(right side) side of the rim, jump off the wrong foot when you attempt a lay up, and always step in when you shoot your jumpshot.

I forgot all these quirks, **** ups, and bad decisions come from being around a bad team. I almost forgot.

MrfadeawayJB
10-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Gordon Hayward.

He will never breakout to earn that max contract though

Il Mago50
10-23-2013, 09:37 PM
LOL

Okay, Starks. I forgot not having a team around you made it so you never finish one(right side) side of the rim, jump off the wrong foot when you attempt a lay up, and always step in when you shoot your jumpshot.

I forgot all these quirks, **** ups, and bad decisions come from being around a bad team. I almost forgot.

Brandon Jennings is one of the most overrated players in the league. I just don't see the appeal in this chucker who can't manage an offense as a point guard or play defense...

Il Mago50
10-23-2013, 09:38 PM
He will never breakout to earn that max contract though

Yeah I don't get it either, Hayward is a player I put in Chandler Parsons' level which is a very good player but not a player you build around a team other than if it's as the third or fourth best player on your team.

Il Mago50
10-23-2013, 09:39 PM
That said, don't be shocked if the Jazz deal for Rondo to give them just that dynamic with Favors, Kanter, Hayward and Rajon.

Guppyfighter
10-23-2013, 09:45 PM
Jazz will never trade for Rondo. They like to build within.

MrfadeawayJB
10-23-2013, 09:48 PM
That said, don't be shocked if the Jazz deal for Rondo to give them just that dynamic with Favors, Kanter, Hayward and Rajon.

Not sure what they would do with two max contracts (favors and Hayward) and a guy in kanter who after next season will likely command anywhere from 8-10 million in FA

Gators123
10-23-2013, 09:50 PM
Drummond is averaging about 13ppg and 11rpg in 29mpg so far in preseason. Thats about what I expect him to average this season.

Shammyguy3
10-23-2013, 09:55 PM

How in the world? There's what, 4 spots for guards in the game right? Maybe 5? I forget.
Derrick Rose, Dwyane Wade, Deron Williams, Kyrie Irving, John Wall.

Which one of those players won't make it because of Jennings? :laugh2:

Il Mago50
10-23-2013, 10:13 PM
How in the world? There's what, 4 spots for guards in the game right? Maybe 5? I forget.

One of them definitely won't with the presence of my boy Andrea Bargnani playing PG for the Knicks after Raymond Felton spontaneously gains 50-80 pounds in a single night.

TrueFan420
10-24-2013, 02:59 AM

I mean as unlikely as it is he could be on par with wall. Wall is mad overrated in my book. Having said that I just don't see it too many good guards in the nba.

ThaDubs
10-24-2013, 03:36 AM
Hell naw Wall is raw is ****.
If you were someone I didn't like I'd have to sig quote you just because I can't believe you actually said Brandon Jennings could be on par with J dub.

Watch this season.

23 pts 5 rbs 9 ast 2 stl 1 blk

Vinny642
10-24-2013, 03:46 AM
Ad!

YoungOne
10-24-2013, 05:22 AM
Hell naw Wall is raw is ****.
If you were someone I didn't like I'd have to sig quote you just because I can't believe you actually said Brandon Jennings could be on par with J dub.

Watch this season.

23 pts 5 rbs 9 ast 2 stl 1 blk

lol

the avenger
10-24-2013, 05:24 AM
Gerald Green end Eric Bledsoe. Suns won't be the worst team in the NBA, not even in the west..

sf-fanatic
10-24-2013, 05:38 AM
harrison barnes

superwill
10-24-2013, 06:05 AM
Michael jorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrdan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shammyguy3
10-24-2013, 10:45 AM
I mean as unlikely as it is he could be on par with wall. Wall is mad overrated in my book. Having said that I just don't see it too many good guards in the nba.

As unlikely as it is Jeremy Lin could be on par with Wall too. Wall might be overrated, but Jennings is flat out awful

SugeKnight
10-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Sophomore players are supposed to breakout

Jamiecballer
10-24-2013, 11:47 AM

do you think all NBA GM's are that dumb? do you not remember how underwhelming the interest was in him during the off-season? this is a guy that was lucky someone was willing to give him a second chance.

jstone0716
10-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Demarcus Cousins should be a 22/10/3.5 guy this year.. will be an allstar

Drummond is going to be pretty insane this year.. 15/13 with 2-3 blocks

Derrick Favors same deal.. I'd say 18/11 with 2-3 blocks

Brow Davis could be an allstar if healthy.. 20/12 with a few blocks & steals

Jeff Teague will solidify himself and probably prove he was worth more.. 18/3/8 with a few steals

Kenneth Faried will be the man in Denver.. 18/11 with 1.5 blocks/steals

Gordan Hayward, Bradley Beal, Javale McGee, Evan Turner will all have good statistical seasons I think.

RipCity32
10-24-2013, 12:52 PM
do you think all NBA GM's are that dumb? do you not remember how underwhelming the interest was in him during the off-season? this is a guy that was lucky someone was willing to give him a second chance.

Hes a chucker but Hes still a good passer. He probably would of had some offers but how many teams in the league didn't already have good PGs besides us

RipCity32
10-24-2013, 01:49 PM

Brandon Jennings- 17.5ppg, 6.5ast, 3.1rebs, .399 fg%, .375 3pt%

Rudy Gay- 17.2ppg, 2.6ast, 5.9rebs, .408 fg%, .310 3pt% (with Memphis)

Shammyguy3
10-24-2013, 02:20 PM

Rudy Gay sucks yeti dick too

Il Mago50
10-24-2013, 02:48 PM
harrison barnes

As a sixth man I doubt it but I don't understand how anyone can overlook GS in the West, they were on the cusp of beating the Spurs before Curry's ankle gave out and now they have one of the best defenders in the game in Iggy there too.

Jeff Teague will solidify himself and probably prove he was worth more.. 18/3/8 with a few steals

Gordan Hayward, Bradley Beal, Javale McGee, Evan Turner will all have good statistical seasons I think.

Is there anyone in the article you strongly disagree about or have as being overlooked with star potential (excluding Cousins since we've all talked about Boogie enough here hahaha)

Wish my nicname was Boogie...

M.Bibby2.0
10-24-2013, 03:19 PM
I reckon Cousins will average 32/17/6.5

If he reeeallly puts it together, I figure 40/20/10..

Tony_Starks
10-24-2013, 03:33 PM
If you don't like Jennings game then cool. Just remember all the hate and how "awful" he is when he is when racking up assist throwing lobs to J Smooth, Drummand, and Monroe. Or finding Chauncey for the 3.

I know this may be shocking but playing on a garbage team in a backcourt with someone who's game mirrors yours does have a effect on your game. Considering the circumstance his numbers last year are very respectable, but I'm sure advanced stats disagree....

Swashcuff
10-24-2013, 03:38 PM

Faried is on the block and may not be a starter this year with Hickson on board, he doesn't have an 18 ppg game, he's a garbage man type player who literally zero plays are ran for most players who fit that most aren't 18+ ppg scorers, with Kevin Love being the exception to that rule.

If we do get that many 18 and 10 type players it would probably be the first time in quite some time, off the top of my head I can't remember that many 18 and 10 type players (assuming Blake, Dwight, Love etc also do it).

Swashcuff
10-24-2013, 03:40 PM
As a sixth man I doubt it but I don't understand how anyone can overlook GS in the West, they were on the cusp of beating the Spurs before Curry's ankle gave out and now they have one of the best defenders in the game in Iggy there too.

Is there anyone in the article you strongly disagree about or have as being overlooked with star potential (excluding Cousins since we've all talked about Boogie enough here hahaha)

Wish my nicname was Boogie...

Iggy is starting at the 2 Barnes will be a starter as Klay is being used off the bench as added fire power. Makes sense since Harrison is probably a better defensive player than Klay (who is underrated on that end of the floor).

acemac23
10-24-2013, 04:03 PM
Jimmy Butler- Will solidify himself as one of the best defenders in the league, also will put up points from the free throw line and has an exceptional ability to rebounding for a guard.

Harrison Barnes- Will be a viable scoring option on the Warriors as well as a lock-down defender, will increase efficiency and will give valuable minutes to a phenomenal starting line-up.

Anthony Davis- Playing like a champ in pre-season and with a surplus of guards that can pass the ball, he will get many more looks from the field, and with a year under his belt, will knock them down too. Also a beast on the boards.

Avery Bradley- One of the best 1-on-1 perimeter defenders already, also can hit the 3-point shot, will have a bigger load on him now that the team is in the rebuilding stage.

Bradley Beal- With John Wall back in the line-up, he will get a lot of open looks which will give him a better FG% as well as 3P%, hopefully increasing his efficiency.

Reggie Evans- With Westbrook out, Reggie will be starting at OKC with Durant, shows that he has plenty of potential and hints at Rose-esque athleticism, very good defender and has increased his Basketball I.Q.

Jeremy Lamb- Will be the 3rd scoring option on the Thunder this season, will be taking the place of Harden/Martin. Will be the 1st scorer off the bench or the 2nd scoring option in the starting line-up as long as Westbrook is out.

TrueFan420
10-24-2013, 04:06 PM
As unlikely as it is Jeremy Lin could be on par with Wall too. Wall might be overrated, but Jennings is flat out awful

Come on now Lin will make a very solid pg in the right situation but Jennings has much more potential. He's been awfully inefficient on a bad team but this year that's not an excuse. This is the most talented bunch he's played with. He can either live up to his potential or he will become a Crawford type player. 6th man scoring guard off the bench.

Shammyguy3
10-24-2013, 11:57 PM
If you don't like Jennings game then cool. Just remember all the hate and how "awful" he is when he is when racking up assist throwing lobs to J Smooth, Drummand, and Monroe. Or finding Chauncey for the 3.

I know this may be shocking but playing on a garbage team in a backcourt with someone who's game mirrors yours does have a effect on your game. Considering the circumstance his numbers last year are very respectable, but I'm sure advanced stats disagree....

I seriously book-marked this quote for future reference.

Come on now Lin will make a very solid pg in the right situation but Jennings has much more potential. He's been awfully inefficient on a bad team but this year that's not an excuse. This is the most talented bunch he's played with. He can either live up to his potential or he will become a Crawford type player. 6th man scoring guard off the bench.

And DeMarcus Cousins has much more potential than Marc Gasol. Doesn't make him 1/5th the player that Marc is, and same goes for Jennings being compared to John Wall in this scenario.

There are tons of players that play on **** teams that are at least respectable efficiency wise. Jennings has never been that player. Since his 50+ point game he's been the epitome of "do not want to touch him with a 10 foot pole."

TrueFan420
10-25-2013, 01:32 AM
And DeMarcus Cousins has much more potential than Marc Gasol. Doesn't make him 1/5th the player that Marc is, and same goes for Jennings being compared to John Wall in this scenario.

There are tons of players that play on **** teams that are at least respectable efficiency wise. Jennings has never been that player. Since his 50+ point game he's been the epitome of "do not want to touch him with a 10 foot pole."

John wall is not close to top flight tho Marc is one of the best at his position. You make a fair point but I think he deserves a chance to prove himself and this is the first time he will get a fair shake at it. He won't be asked to be the only offensive option on the team and brief stint of him and Ellis was a bad pairing but both will be more effiencent this year.

Jamiecballer
10-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Hes a chucker but Hes still a good passer. He probably would of had some offers but how many teams in the league didn't already have good PGs besides us

good luck to you, i hope you are right. hopefully the lack of offers was a wake up call but based on the headline i saw in the middle of the summer where Jennings claimed that he had to take those shots in Milwaukee I'm skeptical. maybe Chauncey gets through to him though.

Jamiecballer
10-25-2013, 09:45 AM

and he's out of a job for good reason.

Il Mago50
10-25-2013, 12:04 PM
John wall is not close to top flight tho Marc is one of the best at his position. You make a fair point but I think he deserves a chance to prove himself and this is the first time he will get a fair shake at it. He won't be asked to be the only offensive option on the team and brief stint of him and Ellis was a bad pairing but both will be more effiencent this year.

See I disagree, I think that while Wall doesn't have a jump shot, it's something he'll develop, especially once that team starts winnings games. As for Marc, love the guy but I think he's overrated, I'd still take Pau any day of the week over him.

jstone0716
10-25-2013, 12:33 PM
See I disagree, I think that while Wall doesn't have a jump shot, it's something he'll develop, especially once that team starts winnings games. As for Marc, love the guy but I think he's overrated, I'd still take Pau any day of the week over him.

Overrated how exactly? The guy is so polished in every aspect of his game, and he's a monster in the paint. Have you actually seen him play? I'm not saying he's better than Pau but it's pretty close.

Tony_Starks
10-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Can somebody please tell me the last rookie to put up a game of 50+ points? In the history books with Kareem?

Lets not act like this guy is a scrub. I'm very comfortable with Jennings having his best year yet, feel free to get at me during the season!

Tony_Starks
10-25-2013, 01:35 PM
good luck to you, i hope you are right. hopefully the lack of offers was a wake up call but based on the headline i saw in the middle of the summer where Jennings claimed that he had to take those shots in Milwaukee I'm skeptical. maybe Chauncey gets through to him though.

Your last sentence says it all my friend. Don't forget Chauncey bounced from team to team for years because he was deemed a "shoot first, inefficient" pg. He's in a perfect situation to learn. If he screws it up then that's another story.

Jamiecballer
10-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Can somebody please tell me the last rookie to put up a game of 50+ points? In the history books with Kareem?

Lets not act like this guy is a scrub. I'm very comfortable with Jennings having his best year yet, feel free to get at me during the season!

that was a great game. but i think i'm more comfortable judging him based on a sample size of 291 games if it's alright with you :)

and what will it take for you to say he's had his best year yet? better to spell out the criteria now because something tells me your definition of best year and mine might not be the same.

Tony_Starks
10-25-2013, 02:37 PM
that was a great game. but i think i'm more comfortable judging him based on a sample size of 291 games if it's alright with you :)

and what will it take for you to say he's had his best year yet? better to spell out the criteria now because something tells me your definition of best year and mine might not be the same.

Fair enough. First off I care less about advanced stats. That being said I think his basic overall stats ( pts, asst, fg %, TOs) will be better, I think his team the Pistons will have it's best season in years and make at least the first round of the playoffs, and I think he will make the allstar game. To me that qualifies as his best year.

You may quote me sir.

Jamiecballer
10-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Fair enough. First off I care less about advanced stats. That being said I think his basic overall stats ( pts, asst, fg %, TOs) will be better, I think his team the Pistons will have it's best season in years and make at least the first round of the playoffs, and I think he will make the allstar game. To me that qualifies as his best year.

You may quote me sir.

why would i do that. i don't come onto a website to try and embarrass other people.

Gators123
10-25-2013, 02:57 PM
I'm not a big fan of Jennings, but at least hes an upgrade over Knight. And Jennings just turned 24, so he can still improve. Maybe being in a different situation will be good for him? :shrug:

Shammyguy3
10-25-2013, 03:35 PM
Your last sentence says it all my friend. Don't forget Chauncey bounced from team to team for years because he was deemed a "shoot first, inefficient" pg. He's in a perfect situation to learn. If he screws it up then that's another story.

That statement is so false. Chauncey is one of the most efficient point guards in the history of the game :laugh2:

You may quote me sir.

Why don't you like advanced stats? Why are raw per game numbers a better indicator of a better player?
What's better? Taking 50 shots and scoring 50 points, or taking 20 shots and scoring 26 points? Also, effective/efficient field goal percentage factors in perimeter players taking 3 point shots - it balances the playing field. Just because a player's fg% is 42% doesn't mean he's less efficient than someone who has a fg% of 46%.

Basic overall stats are a thing of the past - highly influenced by pace, minutes played, etc.

Il Mago50
10-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Overrated how exactly? The guy is so polished in every aspect of his game, and he's a monster in the paint. Have you actually seen him play? I'm not saying he's better than Pau but it's pretty close.

Pau is arguably the most talented low post scorer we've seen in a decade. I love Marc don't get me wrong but I think that his impact on a game is overblown. Great player but not a top 10-15 player in my opinion.

jstone0716
10-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Pau is arguably the most talented low post scorer we've seen in a decade. I love Marc don't get me wrong but I think that his impact on a game is overblown. Great player but not a top 10-15 player in my opinion.

Guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree on that. I don't think he gets enough credit at all. I'd bet 50% of NBA fans don't even know that Pau has a brother. Pau is better but he also has 7 more years under his belt.

Tony_Starks
10-25-2013, 04:12 PM
That statement is so false. Chauncey is one of the most efficient point guards in the history of the game :laugh2:

Why don't you like advanced stats? Why are raw per game numbers a better indicator of a better player?
What's better? Taking 50 shots and scoring 50 points, or taking 20 shots and scoring 26 points? Also, effective/efficient field goal percentage factors in perimeter players taking 3 point shots - it balances the playing field. Just because a player's fg% is 42% doesn't mean he's less efficient than someone who has a fg% of 46%.

Basic overall stats are a thing of the past - highly influenced by pace, minutes played, etc.

As to your first statement do you remember Chauncey's history prior to Detroit? He was basically Brandon Jennings before Brandon Jennings. Pull up 3's off the fast break. Streaky shooting. Questionable shooting. He drove coaches crazy. There's a reason he went from team to team. At the time he was the first Finals MVP never to make a allstar game. Larry Brown reeled him in....

TrueFan420
10-25-2013, 04:25 PM

Well he hasn't developed one yet and idk if he ever will. People said the same about rondo. Marc might not be as good as his bro on offense but he's well rounded there and is worlds better on defense. He's a two center in a game with few. His value is higher even if he isn't considered as sexy of a pick.

lol, please
10-25-2013, 04:29 PM

Harrison Barnes. Draymond Green.