PDA

View Full Version : Am I Crazy To Think The Bucks Can Be Contenders In The Near Future?

Clippersfan86
10-22-2013, 01:10 PM
People know about up and coming teams like the Pelicans, Magic, Pistons, Wizards, Cavs but one team nobody seems to think about is the Bucks. You look at some of the players on their roster and the upside is outstanding. Larry Sanders, John Henson, Giannis antetokounmpo, Brandon Knight, Ekpe Udoh, OJ Mayo is a really damn good young core to build around IMO. Larry, John and Giannis will be one of the best frontcourts in the next couple years IMO.

They also have some nice vets like Caron Butler, Ersan Ilysova, Carlos Delfino, Gary Neal, Luke Ridnour and Zaza. I remember when the summer started everybody was sh**ing on their failure left and right for the trading of Redick for peanuts, draft choice etc (including me)... but now all the sudden they look great going forward.

I'm happy for Bucks fans because I feel like they have gotten the ***** end of the stick for a long time. They finally have a team that isn't capped out at first round sweep or 9th seed. Do you guys think in say 3-5 years if these young guys keep developing and gelling, that they can be a HCA team in the east and a fringe contender at least?

I see them in the Grizzlies/Pacer type mold where they have a bunch of good players who do it by committee and defense, but no clearly defined superstar carrying them or anything. Although if they do bad this year and add a top 10 pick, it will boost them even more.

RipCity32
10-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Bright future for sure but still a few years away.

Clippersfan86
10-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Bright future for sure but still a few years away.

Yea they are at least 2 years behind the teams I mentioned above. Just saying in say 4 years.. they can really make some noise if they keep working.

Big Zo
10-22-2013, 01:22 PM
You need superstars to win. They can be maybe a second round playoff team, but nothing more.

Clippersfan86
10-22-2013, 01:25 PM
You need superstars to win. They can be maybe a second round playoff team, but nothing more.

Who's the "superstar" on Indiana that pushed your team to 7 this year, 6 the year before? Who's the "superstar" on the Grizzlies who went to the WCF? These are teams loaded with gritty, good players who do it by committee, no true superstars. There is more than one way to win in the NBA.

Denver-boy
10-22-2013, 01:25 PM
oj majo and larry sanders, good luck winning with just those two... they need a wiggin or parker to be relevent

Clippersfan86
10-22-2013, 01:31 PM
oj majo and larry sanders, good luck winning with just those two... they need a wiggin or parker to be relevent

Have you watched Giannis? His upside is freaking massive... lots of GM's are calling him the next Durant in the near future. Also have you heard of John Henson? Dude got underplayed last year but is a BEAST. PER 36 Henson averaged 16.5 ppg, 13 rpg, 2 bpg last year. He's every fantasy players wet dream pretty much and he looks outstanding and improved this preseason/summer as well. This frontcourt is going to be the best defensively for years to come, right there with Detroit.

NYKnickFanatic
10-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Who's the "superstar" on Indiana that pushed your team to 7 two years in a row in the ECF? Who's the "superstar" on the Grizzlies who went to the WCF? These are teams loaded with gritty, good players who do it by committee, no true superstars. There is more than one way to win in the NBA.

Guessing he is going to say Granger the first year and George the second.

Big Zo
10-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Who's the "superstar" on Indiana that pushed your team to 7 two years in a row in the ECF? Who's the "superstar" on the Grizzlies who went to the WCF? These are teams loaded with gritty, good players who do it by committee, no true superstars. There is more than one way to win in the NBA.

Indiana didn't push the Heat to 7 two years in a row, and they didn't win either series. The Grizzlies didn't win theirs, either. Sure, you can have your rare exceptions like the Pistons, but how many other teams won championships without superstars?

Clippersfan86
10-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Indiana didn't push the Heat to 7 two years in a row, and they didn't win either series. The Grizzlies didn't win theirs, either. Sure, you can have your rare exceptions like the Pistons, but how many other teams won championships without superstars?

I didn't say win a championship. I said merely be a contender. I do think to have a great shot at the championship you need a star BUT those can emerge over time. You don't always draft a superstar, sometimes it takes a couple years for one to reveal themselves. You're right it was a competitive 6 the year before... nonetheless the team that pushes you more than any team lacks a superstar, so you should understand my POV.

RipCity32
10-22-2013, 01:38 PM
They will probably be looking at a top 10 pick as well this year.

WARRIORS@GR
10-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Why did they give Zaza that contract?

Kashmir13579
10-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Guessing he is going to say Granger the first year and George the second.Z-bo

Stunner
10-22-2013, 01:55 PM
They will trade Udoh , Butler and Po for Rudy Gay

Stunner
10-22-2013, 01:57 PM
And to answer the question who knows but not for a few years who play in the division with the Bulls and Pacers .

Hellcrooner
10-22-2013, 02:16 PM
bring the topic back if bucks get the first pick.

THEN it will be something worht discussing.

abe_froman
10-22-2013, 02:21 PM
yes,you are crazy.they do not have anywhere near enough talent to be contenders(when your pointing to oj mayo and brandon knight as to why you think this shows the absurdity in your argument).you add to the fact that the bulls and pacers not only rule the division currently,but are doing so with relatively young core pieces. than add that the cavs and pistons have much,much greater/more "upside" players(stay with that theme from your argument) ...and thats just the division,not the entire conference.

unless they land wiggins or randle in the summer they are at best 7th/8th seeded "nba hell" type of team

Clippersfan86
10-22-2013, 02:25 PM
yes,you are crazy.they do not have anywhere near enough talent to be contenders(when your pointing to oj mayo and brandon knight as to why you think this shows the absurdity in your argument).you add to the fact that the bulls and pacers not only rule the division but are doing so with relatively young core pieces and that the cavs and pistons have much,much greater/more "upside" players (and thats just the division,not the entire conference).unless they land wiggins or randle in the summer they are at best 7th/8th seeded "nba hell" type of team

Do you know what upside is? Have you heard of Henson, Giannis or Sanders? Mayo and Knight are second tier core pieces who are still young and have upside. The future of the team rests on the shoulders of those frontcourt guys though, not the backcourt.

abe_froman
10-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Do you know what upside is? Have you heard of Henson, Giannis or Sanders? Mayo and Knight are second tier core pieces who are still young and have upside. The future of the team rests on the shoulders of those frontcourt guys though, not the backcourt.
have you heard of andre drummond,greg monroe,kyrie irving,thompson,bennet,derrick rose(just turned 25),jimmy butler,paul george,ect. the division is filled with great young talent with much greater upside than any of the players your touting.if your talking future ,they would gladly switch for those guys.

Clippersfan86
10-22-2013, 02:36 PM
have you heard of andre drummond,greg monroe,kyrie irving,thompson,bennet,derrick rose(isnt even 25 yet),jimmy butler,paul george,ect. the division is filled with young talent with much greater upside than any of the players your touting.if your talking future ,they would gladly switch for those guys.

Did you not read the OP? I acknowledged all of those teams and said this Bucks team is at least a couple years behind. Doesn't mean they won't be a similar up and coming team with great upside lol.

Dade County
10-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Who's the "superstar" on Indiana that pushed your team to 7 this year, 6 the year before?

Entertainment reasons...

Who's the "superstar" on the Grizzlies who went to the WCF?

Westbrook was hurt... And yes I am saying that OKC would have beaten the Grizz.

These are teams loaded with gritty, good players who do it by committee, no true superstars. There is more than one way to win in the NBA.

It took a very special team like the Pistons to beat LA to even win a championship... And we all know that it took, Lbj averaging like 1.7pts in 4 straight Final's game for the Mav's to beat the HEAT (and Dirk was a star in every since of the word in that entire playoff run, but he is not a Super Star; but still a damn good player).

So more times then none, you need a super star or a david stern phone call.

Byronicle
10-22-2013, 02:44 PM
They are just one player away from being able to do some damage in the playoffs

Plenty of good guards and bigmen. They really need that SF

Clippersfan86
10-22-2013, 02:47 PM
They are just one player away from being able to do some damage in the playoffs

Plenty of good guards and bigmen. They really need that SF

Like somebody else said early in thread they will likely get some decent picks in the next couple years too. I see them packaging a couple pieces and moving up this draft.

abe_froman
10-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Did you not read the OP? I acknowledged all of those teams and said this Bucks team is at least a couple years behind. Doesn't mean they won't be a similar up and coming team with great upside lol.
it kind of does because the two ruling class teams wont just drop off the map in a few years,they have players with 10 good years left in them,so you say ok lets go younger and there is det and cavs right there.how are they suppose to break through? and thats just the division ,you are ignoring the rest of the conference.they have no one currently with the talent to trump anyone,unless you honestly believe larry sanders will become dwight howard ,they arent rising to the top

Clippersfan86
10-22-2013, 02:50 PM
it kind of does because the two ruling class teams wont just drop off the map in a few years,they have players with 10 good years left in them,so you say ok lets go younger and there is det and cavs right there.how are they suppose to break through? and thats just the division ,you are ignoring the rest of the conference.they have no one currently with the talent to trump anyone,unless you honestly believe larry sanders will become dwight howard ,they arent rising to the top

How can I ignore teams I acknowledged in my first post lol? I already said I think the Bucks will be a Pacers/Grizzlies type team where they have a bunch of above average players but no superstar so having an individual talent to trump everybody means nothing. I'm not saying they will win championships.. but to think in 4 years they can be fighting for HCA if they add another solid draft pick and these high upside guys keep developing.. doesn't seem farfetched to me.

2-ONE-5
10-22-2013, 02:50 PM
yes you are crazy. they have a bunch of role players and not the same way the Nuggets had/have them where they are borderline all stars.

Guppyfighter
10-22-2013, 02:54 PM
No. You aren't crazy. Give it 2-3 years and they could be wear the Pacers are.

This thread would have got the same exact responses if you asked about this three years ago and was about the Pacers.

Clippersfan86
10-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Larry Sanders is one of maybe 4 or 5 true defensive anchors in the NBA and works his *** off. Henson is a beast and nightmare in the paint who has continued to develop... as I said last year he was at 16.5 ppg, 13 rpg, 2 bpg PER 36. Giannis is being considered a lesser version of Durant in the future and is clearly a freak of nature specimen with outstanding upside. Then you add guys who have potential to be borderline all stars or at worst solid NBA starters in Brandon Knight and OJ Mayo.

I feel like nobody here commenting has watched the Bucks SMH.

Clippersfan86
10-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Also can't forget their underrated role players as I said in Ridnour, Ilysova, Butler etc.

2-ONE-5
10-22-2013, 03:18 PM
oh lord. since when is Henson a beast in the paint? and did you just say Giannis is a lesser version of KD?! come on now.

Clippersfan86
10-22-2013, 03:21 PM
oh lord. since when is Henson a beast in the paint? and did you just say Giannis is a lesser version of KD?! come on now.

No. I said multiple GM's are comparing him to a lesser version of KD in terms of max upside and skillset. He was considered to have more upside than pretty much anybody in the draft by many. Yes Henson is a beast in the paint and 13 rpg, 2 bpg PER 36 shows that. He also has a nice touch in the paint.

BlinkManJan02
10-22-2013, 03:24 PM
I'm really hoping so..I haven't been excited this excited about the Bucks for a while. I am so happy they've got some team oriented players on the roster and no head cases or divas. A super star would be nice to have on the team, jesus even an all star, we haven't had an all star since Michael Redd in 2000-01 or something. The team seems to have some nice upside, that's nice to look forward to. I like what Hammond has done with the Bucks.

Giannis is ridiculously young, I can't wait to see how he develops. Hit the weights, by the time he's 22 hopefully he will have added quite a bit to his frame.

2-ONE-5
10-22-2013, 03:28 PM
No. I said multiple GM's are comparing him to a lesser version of KD in terms of max upside and skillset. He was considered to have more upside than pretty much anybody in the draft by many. Yes Henson is a beast in the paint and 13 rpg, 2 bpg PER 36 shows that. He also has a nice touch in the paint.

PER shows what could be not what happend. Henson is a nice little player but his ceiling is something like a Taj Gibson. Giannis played ball against dudes who are no better than half the people in this forum, no thats not a joke either. I dont think he amounts to much of anything in the league

Clippersfan86
10-22-2013, 03:32 PM
I'm really hoping so..I haven't been excited this excited about the Bucks for a while. I am so happy they've got some team oriented players on the roster and no head cases or divas. A super star would be nice to have on the team, jesus even an all star, we haven't had an all star since Michael Redd in 2000-01 or something. The team seems to have some nice upside, that's nice to look forward to. I like what Hammond has done with the Bucks.

Giannis is ridiculously young, I can't wait to see how he develops. Hit the weights, by the time he's 22 hopefully he will have added quite a bit to his frame.

I understand the skepticism of Bucks fans but you have a special core man, enjoy it. I think they are likely to keep building aspects and package them for a James Harden type trade or a high pick in this draft.

Clippersfan86
10-22-2013, 03:33 PM
PER shows what could be not what happend. Henson is a nice little player but his ceiling is something like a Taj Gibson. Giannis played ball against dudes who are no better than half the people in this forum, no thats not a joke either. I dont think he amounts to much of anything in the league

Even right now tons of basketball analysts are big on Giannis, not sure what you've been hearing or seeing. Also Henson is nothing like Taj Gibson.

2-ONE-5
10-22-2013, 03:44 PM
they like his athleicism but the league he playedin was described as the equvilent to US D3 ball. Regardless the Bucks arent going to be contenders in the near future there are too many better posiitoned teams in the short terms then them.

Stunner
10-22-2013, 03:52 PM
lol I had to look at the Bucks roster ...... Naw man they will be a lotto team for 5 more years lol

RCarlson85
10-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Who's the "superstar" on Indiana that pushed your team to 7 this year, 6 the year before? Who's the "superstar" on the Grizzlies who went to the WCF? These are teams loaded with gritty, good players who do it by committee, no true superstars. There is more than one way to win in the NBA.

Paul George is close to superstar status if he isn't already. Plus they have West and Hibbert who are better than anyone on the Bucks. The Grizz also have Gasol and Randolph who are closer to superstar status than anyone on the Bucks. They also had Gay previoulsy.

The only type of player I see the Bucks getting would be someone who is a boarderline star who just wants a bigger pay day than other teams are willing to give. The Bucks will probably have to overpay to get a player like that since people aren't flocking to play in Milwaukee. Players that fit this idea (in my opinion) would be someone like Monta Ellis or Brandon Jennings. Both of them are boarderline stars who would be viewed as chuckers and who aren't that efficient. Top teams won't pay them big bucks so they go to a lesser team that's looking to bring in a star. It's ironic that those two were the first to come to my mind that fit this mold and they happened to play for the bucks previously. Now they have O.J. Mayo who is kind of in the same type of player in my opinion. I really don't see the Bucks ever being more than a bottom tier playoff team that gets eliminated in the first round each year because they're matched up against a top 4 team in the East.

Clippersfan86
10-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Paul George is close to superstar status if he isn't already. Plus they have West and Hibbert who are better than anyone on the Bucks. The Grizz also have Gasol and Randolph who are closer to superstar status than anyone on the Bucks. They also had Gay previoulsy.

The only type of player I see the Bucks getting would be someone who is a boarderline star who just wants a bigger pay day than other teams are willing to give. The Bucks will probably have to overpay to get a player like that since people aren't flocking to play in Milwaukee. Players that fit this idea (in my opinion) would be someone like Monta Ellis or Brandon Jennings. Both of them are boarderline stars who would be viewed as chuckers and who aren't that efficient. Top teams won't pay them big bucks so they go to a lesser team that's looking to bring in a star. It's ironic that those two were the first to come to my mind that fit this mold and they happened to play for the bucks previously. Now they have O.J. Mayo who is kind of in the same type of player in my opinion. I really don't see the Bucks ever being more than a bottom tier playoff team that gets eliminated in the first round each year because they're matched up against a top 4 team in the East.

Right now West and Hibbert are better, this thread isn't about this year. West is 34 and on the decline and Hibbert is extremely overrated from the Heat series, I won't be surprised if Henson or Sanders gets to that level within a year or two. George isn't close to a "superstar" level yet nor is he one now. He's not even quite on a that perennial all star level quite yet, although he's close. That being said he's still not the undisputed go to guy for Indy or a guy that carried them. Win by committee still applies to Indy.

kobe4thewinbang
10-22-2013, 04:38 PM
I don't see it happening. They like Sanders a lot, but they just hit a bust with Jennings/Ellis. It'll be a while before they have a chance again, and those players you name will be older and less effective by then.

FlashBolt
10-22-2013, 04:40 PM
You're crazy because you created a thread that isn't about Clippers.

ChiSox219
10-22-2013, 05:24 PM
This is a video of what I imagine is the Milwaukee Bucks General Manager:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvOjj6Usgnc

diu9leilomo
10-22-2013, 05:28 PM
yea you are crazy. raptors, cavs, pistons, and wiz are on the rise, bucks? few more years man.

Jamiecballer
10-23-2013, 12:06 AM
i feel like they are on the right track but that's a pretty safe statement to make when you dump Jennings and Ellis.

mightybosstone
10-23-2013, 12:27 AM
I could see them as a potential playoff team as early as this season, especially with as weak as the bottom of the Eastern Conference is. But the OP's question was related to if they would be "contenders" in the near future. And as currently constructed, I think there's an extremely slim chance this team will be one of the top three seeds in the East in the next 5-10 years. Assuming other franchises stay roughly the same over that time, they just have far more talent at the top than Milwaukee does. Assuming Lebron stays in Miami and Melo stays in New York, the Heat, Bulls, Pacers and Knicks aren't going anywhere. And that's not considering teams like Washington and Cleveland, which have better centerpieces to build around, as well as the influx of talent we could see in next year's draft.

However, I do love that Sanders/Ilyasova frontcourt, I think Mayo has potential to be a pretty good No. 3 on a contending team and both Giannis and Henson have really high upside if they ever come close to reaching their potential. I'm not a huge Brandon Knight fan, though. He's an unbelievably inefficient scorer, and he hasn't proven at all that he can run a team offensively as a playmaking point guard.

If their young guys pan out and Knight takes a huge step forward soon, I could see this Milwaukee team as a perennial 6-8 seed in 3-4 years. But they will never contend barring some serious moves or some massive unforeseen breakthrough by one of their young guys.

Chucky Woods
10-23-2013, 12:50 AM
People are gonna be surprised by Giannis, the kid is special. Him, Sanders, and Henson have me drooling looking towards the future. Add a top pick in this years draft and you have a VERY talented core of YOUNG players.

Fear the future deer.

Clippersfan86
10-23-2013, 12:51 AM
People are gonna be surprised by Giannis, the kid is special. Him, Sanders, and Henson have me drooling looking towards the future. Add a top pick in this years draft and you have a VERY talented core of YOUNG players.

Fear the future deer.

Post more Bucks fans, had me looking like an idiot here in this thread talking about players nobody else seems to have ever watched. I mean you have guys in here saying Henson= Taj Gibson best case scenario or w/e.

http://niketalk.com/content/type/61/id/597926/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

FlashBolt
10-23-2013, 01:42 AM

Please don't use PER 36. 90% of the league would look amazing with PER 36.

Clippersfan86
10-23-2013, 02:54 AM
Please don't use PER 36. 90% of the league would look amazing with PER 36.

Find me other players with the same PER 36 numbers, since they are so common.

hotdalton18
10-23-2013, 03:00 AM
Your a little 2 hyped

Giassi or watever scored like 2 ppg in a league over seas , he's like 5 years away from even being a starter here

Mayo and knight were good in college , but both have bad fg %

RipCity32
10-23-2013, 03:17 AM
Your a little 2 hyped

Giassi or watever scored like 2 ppg in a league over seas , he's like 5 years away from even being a starter here

Mayo and knight were good in college , but both have bad fg %

That's what the scouts said but watching him play so far he looks a lot further along than that scouting report. Also you have to watch him play not just go off Draft Express videos of the kid playing out in a jungle somewhere. That kid has a lot of potential on both sides of the ball.

SPURSFAN1
10-23-2013, 04:08 AM
Gary Neal was a very good signing by the Bucks. Sometimes being professional and leading by example will help out the bucks youth players.

Kia Kaha
10-23-2013, 05:02 AM
Love the Vets they signed but not close to being contenders. Giannis would need to turn into Durant. Sanders and henson are solid defensive piecies inside which i do like however and when the wolves played them in the pre season you just immediatley noticed how long they are.