PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Hayward to recieve max contract from Utah

sunsfan88
10-22-2013, 01:04 AM
Gordon Hayward and the Utah Jazz are expected to agree to an extension before the Oct. 31 deadline.

Hayward's deal is likely to be more lucrative than the four-year, $49 million extension teammate Derrick Favors signed last week.

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/392142278682099712

My god. I like Hayward a lot but a max contract? I see him more like a glue guy than a star. He plays with a lot of energy, plays good defense and can shoot the ball and pass well but I don't know about giving him a max contract. I bet his agent is using the Batum deal as a factor in negotiations though.

I saw him as a rich man's Jared Dudley. I wonder how much Chandler Parsons will be demanding when he hits FA. Is Hayward that much better than Parsons?

SPURSFAN1
10-22-2013, 01:10 AM
I don't watch the jazz but when I do, he looks like an average forward. His defense is marginal and his offense is marginal. Bad teams giving out bad contracts. They only hurt the their fanbase with mediocre games.

Tmath
10-22-2013, 01:12 AM
Not good if true.

DeRozan's contract is actually looking good after the contracts that have been handed out lately.

jerellh528
10-22-2013, 01:12 AM
The NBA passes out max contracts like candy now. I remember when only top 15 or so would earn max contracts, now it seems as if any productive player with potential gets a max.

SPURSFAN1
10-22-2013, 01:14 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/haywago01.html

Average at best. Hopefully I don't get all these jazz fans upset.

RipCity32
10-22-2013, 01:15 AM
WTF that's terrible, I think of him as a 7-9 per year kinda guy.

DreamShaker
10-22-2013, 01:17 AM
That is really weird. I can't remember one significant thing he's done. Favors at least has the physical tools to be a star.

Max.This
10-22-2013, 01:20 AM
That is really weird. I can't remember one significant thing he's done. Favors at least has the physical tools to be a star.

Delonte West Wet willie ........

Supreme LA
10-22-2013, 01:33 AM
Watch he averages like 8 pts a game over the course of his contract and the GM & owner start *****ing to renegotiate another CBA. Stupid. Just stupid wasteful spending.

beasted86
10-22-2013, 01:38 AM
I would have thought the Jazz would see the living proof on their own team in Marvin Williams, what happens from overpaying mediocre players.... and Marvin had better years than Hayward has, and even he didn't get a max.

b_russ
10-22-2013, 01:49 AM
Where does it say he's getting a max contract?

tredigs
10-22-2013, 02:02 AM
Where does it say he's getting a max contract?

Yeah I didn't see anything about a Max either, it just says it's rumored to be more than Favors 4 years 49 mil. Which means it's still in the 13+ Million per year range if true. It's def strange to imagine him getting 13-15 per. He's good, not great.

bholly
10-22-2013, 02:03 AM
Yeah, I haven't seen any talk about a max anywhere. The money is surprising, but there's a decent amount of room between Favors' $49m and the ~$61m to $65m that would be Hayward's 4-year max. Not to mention that the way these things are often reported, 'richer' could just mean more total money but over 5 years.

Vinny642
10-22-2013, 02:17 AM
Overpaid

Gibby
10-22-2013, 02:31 AM
It doesn't say max. Its more lucrative than Favour's contract. For all the it could mean 50 Million over 5 (i think thats the max number of years) years.

sunsfan88
10-22-2013, 03:28 AM
More than Favors likely means its a max contract. Favors was very, very close to getting a max contract.

Even if he doesn't get a max, it will be very close to a max deal for Hayward.

kblo247
10-22-2013, 03:32 AM
He's the best player on their team. I think they may be thinking really long term like Stockton long term and locking him up there as their face most his career for 15 years.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-22-2013, 03:51 AM
lmao

The guy is Stache on steroids...cant believe these GM are so bad. We are probably sailing slowly to the next lockout...

JNA17
10-22-2013, 04:05 AM
That skinny white guy the Jazz drafted a few years ago? I thought he was already a bust for them. Now they might max him?

Wtf is the NBA coming too with max contacts to scrubs- mediocre players.

PacersForLife
10-22-2013, 04:32 AM
This doesn't make sense to me. I see him as like a 6-8M player at best.

I wonder how much Chandler Parsons will be demanding when he hits FA. Is Hayward that much better than Parsons?
I would say Parsons is on a whole other level then Hayward. Of course, I don't watch too many Jazz games, but from what I've seen Parsons is noticeably better.

kblo247
10-22-2013, 05:58 AM
Parsons is better but he was given time two years of his career to outright play and **** up year one. Hayward was hampered like Favors and Kanter by his minutes.

IndyRealist
10-22-2013, 08:46 AM
56.4% TS, 41% from 3, gets to the line a lot and coverts at 80%. Basicially, he's a above average to good SG. He'll be an all-star level SG if he can keep those numbers and raise his usage. Scoring wise, he was as efficient as Melo last year but on a lower volume. Unlike Melo, he's still young and could get significantly better.

Kashmir13579
10-22-2013, 09:54 AM
He's a solid offensive player, max contract though? 5-7mil a year is what he is worth.

king4day
10-22-2013, 10:06 AM
They must think he's going to break out this year. If he does and they didn't pay him, it would be a max for sure.

nycericanguy
10-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Yea above 4/49 is definitely overpaying.

He's not better than Gallo or Batum and those guys got 10-12m per each.

Swashcuff
10-22-2013, 10:45 AM
He's no doubt getting paid on potential. The Jazz and their fans view Hayward very highly and do think that he can turn into a fringe all star type player, as a result I guess they see no problem with paying him so well. Its too much to pay on potential IMO but we're seeing it all the time in today's NBA.

dhopisthename
10-22-2013, 10:46 AM
I have heard from local reporters with better inside sources that most of that is untrue.

2-ONE-5
10-22-2013, 11:03 AM
wow Utah is really banking on a Heyward/Favors duo going forward? There was no need to give either a contract right now.

MrfadeawayJB
10-22-2013, 11:09 AM
He should command around 4 yrs 32-36 million imo

ManRam
10-22-2013, 11:21 AM
He's a solid offensive player, max contract though? 5-7mil a year is what he is worth.

Ehh...it's an overpay, but he's worth more than that.

5-7 doesn't get you a ton these days.

Korver got 4 years 24 million ($6M)
Earl Clark got 2 years 9 million ($4.5M)
Brandan Wright got 2 years 10 million ($5M)
JJ Hickson got 3 years 15 ($5M)
Redick got 4 years 27 ($6.75M)
OJ Mayo got 3 years 24 ($8M)
Zaza got 3 years 16 ($5.3M)
Budinger got 3 years 16 ($5.3M)
Carl Landry got 4 years 26 ($6.5M)
Martel Webster got 4 years 22 ($5.5M)

He's better/going to be better than everyone of those players. I think last year he was better than every one of those players (I really like Brandan Wright, but he didn't play much).

He's a 9-10 million a year player, probably. He might blossom into something more. $12.25M a year isn't too outrageous.

Don't sleep on Gordon.

colinskik
10-22-2013, 11:24 AM
So this is basically all because the Jazz want a clean cut white guy to the face of the franchise, right?

Tony_Starks
10-22-2013, 11:40 AM
I wouldn't max him out but I would definitely keep him. I love his game, he gets really slept on because nobody cares about Utah...

ackar
10-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Why was there a lockout? Right...

bholly
10-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Why was there a lockout? Right...

Because the owners wanted to save money? It's really not that complicated.

kobe4thewinbang
10-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Why did they keep him over Millsap?

:eyebrow:

BearDown1223
10-22-2013, 05:07 PM
It's Receive.

IndyRealist
10-22-2013, 05:19 PM
So this is basically all because the Jazz want a clean cut white guy to the face of the franchise, right?

Maybe. But at the same time if he wasn't white, no one would be calling him overpaid, they'd be saying he has "potential", "talent" and "upside".

bearadonisdna
10-22-2013, 05:52 PM
For those asking, we had a lockout because of the heat.
As far as hayward he is barely a starting caliber player. There is a rule that a team will have to use most of its cap, not sure if it kicked in it or not but i think it could have something to do with that. Other than that it makes no sense. bad move. but what do i care.

JLynn943
10-22-2013, 06:01 PM
If healthy, he'll have a great year. Don't know if that will really earn it, but I expect him to do very well.

dhopisthename
10-22-2013, 06:11 PM
For those asking, we had a lockout because of the heat.
As far as hayward he is barely a starting caliber player. There is a rule that a team will have to use most of its cap, not sure if it kicked in it or not but i think it could have something to do with that. Other than that it makes no sense. bad move. but what do i care.

you have to be kidding me. he averaged 14.1 ppg 3 assists 3 rebounds in 29 minutes on .564 ts% and shot .415% from 3. It has nothing to do with staying near the salary floor. I also will still say that it is so rare for people to ever be right about the jazz no one saw the favors contract coming till it was done.

b_russ
10-22-2013, 06:21 PM
Maybe. But at the same time if he wasn't white, no one would be calling him overpaid, they'd be saying he has "potential", "talent" and "upside".

Yeah, it's getting borderline racist. Myself being a Jazz fan, I'd raise an eyebrow to signing him to a max deal, but those saying that he's a barely a starter 5-7 mil player are swimming in ignorance if they really believe that.

dwilly4rilly
10-22-2013, 08:37 PM
He was invited to the USA camp in Vegas this summer and was one of 2 or 3 names mentioned as a definite standout. His defense is as underrated as I have ever seen. He locks down just about everyone he guards. They use him to guard opposing pg's when needed, and he defends kd, kb, and other wings as well as anyone I've seen. It's almost comical how people who don't follow the Jazz just comment, and even write articles, about his lack of defensive skills and athleticism, just because they assume it because he is white. Watch a game or two before you spew ignorant $#1t.

TimeForAHoliday
10-22-2013, 08:53 PM
He was invited to the USA camp in Vegas this summer and was one of 2 or 3 names mentioned as a definite standout. His defense is as underrated as I have ever seen. He locks down just about everyone he guards. They use him to guard opposing pg's when needed, and he defends kd, kb, and other wings as well as anyone I've seen. It's almost comical how people who don't follow the Jazz just comment, and even write articles, about his lack of defensive skills and athleticism, just because they assume it because he is white. Watch a game or two before you spew ignorant $#1t.This. Also his offense is underrated. imo he has a very unique skill set.

jp611
10-22-2013, 09:10 PM
NBA forum sleeping on Gordon... Shocker

Barely a starting caliber player? :laugh2:

Tony_Starks
10-22-2013, 09:26 PM
He's on the wrong team. If he was on a squad like Golden State he would be absolutely killing it. Or if you swap out Lin and put Gordon in Houston? They would actually be legit.

TimeForAHoliday
10-22-2013, 09:26 PM
NBA forum sleeping on Gordon... Shocker

Barely a starting caliber player? :laugh2:

Calling him a bust is even more funny.

therealwd27
10-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Solid player not max money just like Batum.

dwilly4rilly
10-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Gordon Hayward is a more versatile player than Batum. He is hard to compare to other players because his skill set is unique and his Bball IQ is top notch. He is a good spot up shooter, but he creates well also. He will average 5+ assists this year playing point forward in spurts. He is very well rounded. I wouldn't sign him max money, but he is worth more than many think. And if/when he has a breakout year this year, the Jazz will look smart, because a team would have made an offer = or > what they will end up paying.

bearadonisdna
10-22-2013, 09:50 PM
you have to be kidding me. he averaged 14.1 ppg 3 assists 3 rebounds in 29 minutes on .564 ts% and shot .415% from 3. It has nothing to do with staying near the salary floor. I also will still say that it is so rare for people to ever be right about the jazz no one saw the favors contract coming till it was done.

Actually im more impressed with his eFG% than his ts%. Guess he really is underrated. Maybe if they gave him more minutes he would get better stats.

GiantsSwaGG
10-22-2013, 10:03 PM
The stupidest extension ever

TimeForAHoliday
10-22-2013, 10:12 PM
Please explain. Have you actually watched Hayward play or did you just look at his stats.

b@llhog24
10-22-2013, 10:44 PM
He's not better than Batum.

TheNumber37
10-22-2013, 11:00 PM
Wow. I'd give him JR Money, but that's it.

mike_noodles
10-23-2013, 08:10 AM
It doesn't say max. Its more lucrative than Favour's contract. For all the it could mean 50 Million over 5 (i think thats the max number of years) years.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. Not bad. And not worth the uproar caused by the thread title.

Badluck33
10-23-2013, 09:21 AM
The NBA passes out max contracts like candy now. I remember when only top 15 or so would earn max contracts, now it seems as if any productive player with potential gets a max.

no they don't.

Iggy would have gotten a max contract if we were still in the old CBA.

Monte Ellis would have gotten much more $$ under the old CBA as well.

ManRam
10-23-2013, 09:28 AM
Why did they keep him over Millsap?

:eyebrow:

Because of Kanter and Favors. Hayward's the only young and super promising wing/guard they have. Burks too, but he doesn't have the same upside.

ManRam
10-23-2013, 09:29 AM

Holy hyperbole, Batman!

pd1dish
10-23-2013, 09:34 AM
i was looking forward to him being a free agent and wanted the Bulls to go after him, but certainly not if hes demanding a max contract

ackar
10-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Because the owners wanted to save money? It's really not that complicated.

I know that but how does this stupid contracts save them money?

lajoie
10-23-2013, 09:50 AM
I guess picking this guy over Paul George wasn't a big enough of a **** up for the Jazz.

IndyRealist
10-23-2013, 09:56 AM
I know that but how does this stupid contracts save them money?

You apparently don't understand how salary works. Player salary is capped at a certain percentage (47% I believe) of revenue. The more any single player makes, the less every other player makes. The owners negotiated that down from....60% in the old cba? Players lost almost a quarter of their salary in this CBA. A perecent of all players' salary is held in escrow until the end of the year to ensure that percentage.

colinskik
10-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Yeah, it's getting borderline racist. Myself being a Jazz fan, I'd raise an eyebrow to signing him to a max deal, but those saying that he's a barely a starter 5-7 mil player are swimming in ignorance if they really believe that.

I like Hayward as a player and would love to snatch him up in my upcoming fantasy draft, but if the Jazz end up giving him a max or even close to max then it becomes just another example of this franchise ostensibly putting a team on the floor that their fan base can relate to rather than doing what is best for overall team success. It's becoming a pattern.

Daze9900
10-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Eh hopefully I'm wrong but look at the market he's in. He's a clean cut person and I'm guessing Utah understands what kind of players the crowd is paying to see

IndyRealist
10-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Eh hopefully I'm wrong but look at the market he's in. He's a clean cut person and I'm guessing Utah understands what kind of players the crowd is paying to see

People said the same thing about Indiana, yet their max players are Roy Hibbert and Paul George.

People love to see patterns where their aren't any.

AddiX
10-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Jazz love there white basketball players. I'll never forget when they held onto Matt Harping like 5 years after he was washed up.

NoahH
10-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Curry, Lawson and Holiday are all players EONS ahead of Hayward who recently received extensions on their rookie contracts and they signed for around 11mill per year?

ManRam
10-23-2013, 02:27 PM
People saying he's only getting paid because he's "clean-cut" and white are really not getting the whole picture here...and it's a bit unfair to both parties involved.

He's good. He's $8-9M and above good. In fact, on an open market next year after teams strike out on the studs (and the guys who ultimately don't even hit the market), he'd get this contract. I guarantee you that (barring a huge disappointment of a season). He's young, he can shoot, he can defend. He's their only high-upside non-big and they're clearly looking to rebuild around him and the two great young bigs. You gotta keep guys like this and treat them well. On the open market after this season I assure you he'd get maxed. I posted contracts lesser people got this offseason to highlight that.

It's a gamble, but it's a necessary one. They can get this out of the way and move on. Having 1/3rd of their cap tied up in Favors and Hayward should hamstring them too much, considering they're clearly the team's prioritized building blocks.

Woodrow
10-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Jazz love there white basketball players. I'll never forget when they held onto Matt Harping like 5 years after he was washed up.

Not sure I agree with you. Hayward and Kanter were the only two white players on the team last year. He'll, even the coach is black, and there's as much Jazz love in Utah now as there ever has been. Don't make it something it's not.

flea
10-24-2013, 01:24 PM
NBA fans are hilarious.

lamzoka
10-24-2013, 01:34 PM
we're heading back to another lockout.

c.c.
10-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Why give someone more than 10 million that don't average more than 10 points

b@llhog24
10-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Why give someone more than 10 million that don't average more than 10 points

Huh?

justinnum1
10-24-2013, 03:08 PM
file this under "evidence" for the NBPA during the next CBA negotiations.

pd1dish
10-24-2013, 03:56 PM
I like Hayward as a player and would love to snatch him up in my upcoming fantasy draft, but if the Jazz end up giving him a max or even close to max then it becomes just another example of this franchise ostensibly putting a team on the floor that their fan base can relate to rather than doing what is best for overall team success. It's becoming a pattern.

yeah, and that leads to other teams giving players similar contracts just to keep their hands on a borderline all-star player, which causes these teams to forever be stuck in mediocrity. the NBA had the exact same problem before the new CBA

Byronicle
10-24-2013, 04:11 PM
People saying he's only getting paid because he's "clean-cut" and white are really not getting the whole picture here...and it's a bit unfair to both parties involved.

He's good. He's $8-9M and above good. In fact, on an open market next year after teams strike out on the studs (and the guys who ultimately don't even hit the market), he'd get this contract. I guarantee you that (barring a huge disappointment of a season). He's young, he can shoot, he can defend. He's their only high-upside non-big and they're clearly looking to rebuild around him and the two great young bigs. You gotta keep guys like this and treat them well. On the open market after this season I assure you he'd get maxed. I posted contracts lesser people got this offseason to highlight that.

It's a gamble, but it's a necessary one. They can get this out of the way and move on. Having 1/3rd of their cap tied up in Favors and Hayward should hamstring them too much, considering they're clearly the team's prioritized building blocks.

Agreed

The guy is so versatile. He can playmake, rebound, if he breaks out this year then this contract is going to look a lot better. Many teams would jump on the opportunity to give him the max

In comparison to those other guys, you got Curry who will always be an ankle injury away from making his contract look outrageous

Then you got Ty Lawson who keeps aggravating his back

Both these guys are 2 years older.

Derozan cannot even hit a 3 ball and his playmaking and rebounding is nothing compared to Hayward's

It makes sense now and it will look like a bargain if he keeps improving which he will. He's only 23

xabial
10-24-2013, 04:46 PM
Thank Stephon Marbury Jazz fans. That pick that turned out to be Gordon Hayward (2010 #9 overall) was the last 1st Round pick the Knicks owed for that dreaded stephon marbury trade.

I was secretly hoping he would be a bust for this reason.

yea I'm bitter :D

dhopisthename
10-24-2013, 04:50 PM
can we at least wait till he signs the extension and we find out what he really signs for before we bash it?

John Walls Era
10-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Ehh...it's an overpay, but he's worth more than that.

5-7 doesn't get you a ton these days.

Korver got 4 years 24 million ($6M)
Earl Clark got 2 years 9 million ($4.5M)
Brandan Wright got 2 years 10 million ($5M)
JJ Hickson got 3 years 15 ($5M)
Redick got 4 years 27 ($6.75M)
OJ Mayo got 3 years 24 ($8M)
Zaza got 3 years 16 ($5.3M)
Budinger got 3 years 16 ($5.3M)
Carl Landry got 4 years 26 ($6.5M)
Martel Webster got 4 years 22 ($5.5M)

He's better/going to be better than everyone of those players. I think last year he was better than every one of those players (I really like Brandan Wright, but he didn't play much).

Don't sleep on Gordon.

Theres 3 players that are actually usable on that list....

Hes about a 40Million 4 year guy (10M tops). Not max.

b_russ
11-01-2013, 10:30 AM
League sources sat Hayward was NOT seeking four-year max but parties couldn't close gap even after Jazz CEO Greg Miller spoke optimistically
Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) (https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine)

Just thought this needed to be cleared up since lack of reading comprehension was causing some to jump to conclusions.

MonroeFAN
11-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Wut?

futureman
11-01-2013, 01:16 PM
He is not worth a max contract. The Jazz made the mistake of giving Kirilenko a max deal when he wasn't worth it and it broke up the team eventually. Hayward needs to get the Jazz out of the first round of the playoffs this year before a max can be mentioned. So far, he is no Paul George by a longshot.

dhopisthename
11-01-2013, 02:25 PM
He is not worth a max contract. The Jazz made the mistake of giving Kirilenko a max deal when he wasn't worth it and it broke up the team eventually. Hayward needs to get the Jazz out of the first round of the playoffs this year before a max can be mentioned. So far, he is no Paul George by a longshot.

he is no paul george, but come on paul george couldn't get this team to the 2nd round of the playoffs. I don't know if lebron could.

rockets-fan
11-01-2013, 02:45 PM
I love Gordon, but max? I think parsons is better and I wouldn't even give parsons a max. (I think they are very similar players)

I'd give him 9-12 mil range. Awesome player but i don't think he's a guy who will lead his team to a chip. IMO only a few players should be max players:

Lbj
KD
Westbrook
Curry
Harden
Howard
Paul
Rose
Etc.....( no order an didn't say all of them)

Gordon is never going to be on this tier of players, IN MY OPINION.

Goose17
11-01-2013, 03:53 PM
I think parsons is better

You think wrong.

And he's not worth a max but teams that aren't in a place like LA, New York, Miami etc have to pay guys more than they're worth to keep them there. It's sad but true.

sunsfan88
11-01-2013, 03:59 PM
If Minnesota had the cap space, he would fit in perfectly there. He's white and he can shoot.

Imagine a starting lineup of: Rubio, Hayward, Budinger, Love and Pekovic

The first all white starting 5 since VERY long time ago.