PDA

View Full Version : Dwight and Asik Experiment NBA TV vs Mavs

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 08:18 PM
So far looking like what I expected. Dwight not even chasing Dirk on the perimeter, Asik a complete zero on offense because Dwight is clogging the paint on PNR and cuts. Dirk is wide open every single time down the floor, Rockets paint D even looks suspect.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 08:23 PM
Dirk just up faked Howard out of his shoes for a 15 footer. I expect to see a lot of this from this duo. Lin+Dwight PNR looks fantastic though.

Edit: man Dwight is getting pumpfaked so much by Dirk and jumping for everything.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Lol that didn't last long. Howard already back to center, did great on offense mediocre defensively at PF.

Tony_Starks
10-21-2013, 08:30 PM
Dallas starting 5 is nice. Backcourt is suspect on D but you got Dalembert and and Marion roaming.....

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 08:33 PM
Dallas starting 5 is nice. Backcourt is suspect on D but you got Dalembert and and Marion roaming.....

Dallas has a legit shot at a playoff seed if they stay healthy (especially Dirk) and guys like Ellis keep buying in.

5ass
10-21-2013, 08:35 PM
U should expect an adjustment period u know. Too early to judge anything right now.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 08:36 PM
U should expect an adjustment period u know. Too early to judge anything right now.

For sure... just surprised HOW poor it looked. I just know this is one thing many of us wanted to know, preseason or not it's curious to see. Dwight's laziness chasing guys on the perimeter was my biggest worry for this duo and it was the most glaring thing that just happened.

mightybosstone
10-21-2013, 08:45 PM
I actually thought Dwight looked fine defensively. He got faked out by Dirk on that one shot attempt, but you also failed to mention that he played good help defense on the perimeter and swatted away a pass which led to a turnover and a fast break on the other end. A lot of the Rockets struggles in this game have been a lot of easy misses around the basket and poor perimeter defense.

I actually put a lot of it on Asik. This is his first preseason game and he looks really, really rusty on both ends.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 08:47 PM
I actually thought Dwight looked fine defensively. He got faked out by Dirk on that one shot attempt, but you also failed to mention that he played good help defense on the perimeter and swatted away a pass which led to a turnover and a fast break on the other end. A lot of the Rockets struggles in this game have been a lot of easy misses around the basket and poor perimeter defense.

I actually put a lot of it on Asik. This is his first preseason game and he looks really, really rusty on both ends.

Dirk faked him out more than one time, although only one led to a bucket. Dwight just was trying to help in the paint, not outside with Dirk. The fact that on multiple possessions no defender was within 10 feet of Dirk says it all. In general Dwight has looked good but not sure defensively at PF yet. Asik definitely looks rusty as hell.

mightybosstone
10-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Dirk faked him out more than one time, although only one led to a bucket. Dwight just was trying to help in the paint, not outside with Dirk. The fact that on multiple possessions no defender was within 10 feet of Dirk says it all. In general Dwight has looked good but not sure defensively at PF yet. Asik definitely looks rusty as hell.

It's the very first time the two guys have played together against another NBA team, and it's Asik's first game back. It also doesn't help that he's on arguably the best PF in the NBA. Give them a ****ing break.

And you're acting like he's getting killed by Dirk, which isn't true. Dirk's only got 6 points (and two TOs) midway through the second quarter. Dwight certainly got the better of Dirk on the other end of the floor, where he was dominant in the first quarter.

Chronz
10-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Yea forget his team defense or the fact that Dirk looks even worse on that end. Wake me up when its 40 games in and the pairing either never plays due to offensive struggles or they barely play due to defensive efficiency with the lineup.

Not sure if you know this but Dirk owns one of the best shot fakes, he used to torch Ben Wallace with it. Lemme guess, Ben Wallace cant defend either.

Big Z and Ben Wallace played together and were just great defensively, but it didn't happen day 1.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Yea forget his team defense or the fact that Dirk looks even worse on that end. Wake me up when its 40 games in and the pairing either never plays due to offensive struggles or they barely play due to defensive efficiency with the lineup.

Not sure if you know this but Dirk owns one of the best shot fakes, he used to torch Ben Wallace with it. Lemme guess, Ben Wallace cant defend either.

Big Z and Ben Wallace played together and were just great defensively, but it didn't happen day 1.

Ben Wallace is one of the worst defensive players in NBA history.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 08:59 PM
It's the very first time the two guys have played together against another NBA team, and it's Asik's first game back. It also doesn't help that he's on arguably the best PF in the NBA. Give them a ****ing break.

And you're acting like he's getting killed by Dirk, which isn't true. Dirk's only got 6 points (and two TOs) midway through the second quarter. Dwight certainly got the better of Dirk on the other end of the floor, where he was dominant in the first quarter.

Okay I'm not gonna lie... I'm being an *** :p. It IS interesting to watch though. Pretty rare to see two centers paired up in this day and age.

alexander_37
10-21-2013, 09:37 PM
Ben Wallace is one of the worst defensive players in NBA history.

Are you on meth?

Tony_Starks
10-21-2013, 09:46 PM
I'm starting to think Beverly is coming for that starting pg spot. The offense moves better with him and clearly McHale has more trust in him....

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Are you on meth?

I'm being sarcastic. Ben Wallace is my favorite non Clippers player all time, along with Gary Payton.

flea
10-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Are you on meth?

He's trolling, just like with this thread.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 09:56 PM
Mother fu**ing soft league. Flagrant 2 haha? He clearly went for the ball... but just missed. It should have been a flagrant 1.

Chronz
10-25-2013, 01:10 AM
Dont know if you saw this last one but this is one of those matchups I was talking about where positional labels are near meaningless. It looked much improved from last night and they shut down the paint. They will have their struggles but overall, they simply have too much talent to be anything less than average defensively.

Clippersfan86
10-25-2013, 01:48 AM
I didn't watch the game but I heard they did better. Although I DID acknowledge in a different thread on this topic that vs frontcourts like Indiana, Utah, Memphis and San Antonio that are much slower and less athletic, they would be fine. Problem is most of the league isn't like that anymore.

Chronz
10-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Thats why you shouldn't have gone so far to call them straight liabilities, when nonathletic players like Z-Bo can contribute to a powerhouse defense, thats when you know the bar has been set low. Not seeing the problem, its about talent more than positions.

FlashBolt
10-25-2013, 01:38 PM
OP's one of many attempt(s) to degrade any competition the LAC may have.

mightybosstone
10-25-2013, 09:05 PM
I need to bring this thread up, because I've watched the whole first half and this lineup has absolutely dominated the Grizzlies. They were up 30-10 at halftime and are winning 38-17 with 6 minutes left in the second quarter. The defense has been stifling and the Rockets are still killing the Grizzlies in terms of transition baskets. And Harden got hurt in the first 10 minutes, so they've been playing with Lin at the 2 guard most of the game.

ThuglifeJ
10-25-2013, 09:15 PM
Why would they do this against Dallas..? Grizzlies and others yes tho

tredigs
10-25-2013, 09:30 PM
I need to bring this thread up, because I've watched the whole first half and this lineup has absolutely dominated the Grizzlies. They were up 30-10 at halftime and are winning 38-17 with 6 minutes left in the second quarter. The defense has been stifling and the Rockets are still killing the Grizzlies in terms of transition baskets. And Harden got hurt in the first 10 minutes, so they've been playing with Lin at the 2 guard most of the game.
I've been watching the whole game myself, and it's a bit more than good defense from Houston. Memphis just came out an absolute mess and can't hit a jumper to save their life. 19% from the field is more than good D (though this is solid D, and a good team for Asik/Howard to be on the floor together against).

Clippersfan86
10-25-2013, 09:40 PM

One of the teams I listed that it should work against. Big, slow, unathletic teams no reason it wouldn't work.

tredigs
10-25-2013, 09:43 PM
To help illustrate my point, they're now 7-39 playing their starters against Houston's 3rd string.

tredigs
10-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Make it 7 for 43. It's the worst offense I've ever watched an NBA team play in the last 15 years.

nyyfan4life
10-25-2013, 09:48 PM
To help illustrate my point, they're now 7-39 playing their starters against Houston's 3rd string.

Houston's defense is much improved. They have locked down the paint tonight.

tredigs
10-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Houston's defense is much improved. They have locked down the paint tonight.

Houston hasn't had solid D or 1 starter on the court in the 3rd quarter against Memphis' starters, and it took the Griz to the 5 minute mark for them to make their first shot (an uncontested layup by Gasol).

nyyfan4life
10-25-2013, 09:52 PM
Houston hasn't had solid D or 1 starter on the court in the 3rd quarter against Memphis' starters, and it took the Griz to the 5 minute mark for them to make their first shot (an uncontested layup by Gasol).

Yeah. They don't really have anyone that can create on the perimeter. Very inefficient offensive play today.

Clippersfan86
10-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Yeah. They don't really have anyone that can create on the perimeter. Very inefficient offensive play today.

Not surprising. They have a rookie coach and their core is another year older. I expect a step back for the Grizzlies. Still a tough out and an opponent to be respected but a drop from 56 to 50 wins and out in a 6-7 game first round is what I'm thinking.

nyyfan4life
10-25-2013, 10:08 PM
Even though this is just pre-season, the Rockets team looks really strong and promising.

Clippersfan86
10-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Even though this is just pre-season, the Rockets team looks really strong and promising.

With the expectations everybody has, if they weren't... it would be a massive failure. At the very least they should be a 4-5 seed and a 2nd round team. If not, they are going to get bashed. They have the best "Big 3" in the NBA probably.

Chronz
10-25-2013, 11:10 PM

Agreed. Its one thing to say they wont be dominant but to be liabilities? Truly LOL worthy. I cant fathom a universe where Greg Smith/Morris is considered a superior defender at ANY position.

sunsfan88
10-26-2013, 06:08 AM
With the expectations everybody has, if they weren't... it would be a massive failure. At the very least they should be a 4-5 seed and a 2nd round team. If not, they are going to get bashed. They have the best "Big 3" in the NBA probably.

Whose their big 3? Harden, Dwight and who? Lin? Parsons? Haha nah. Those guys are good role players it not star enough to be considered part of a big 3.

Clippersfan86
10-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Whose their big 3? Harden, Dwight and who? Lin? Parsons? Haha nah. Those guys are good role players it not star enough to be considered part of a big 3.

Parsons is as good as any 3rd guy in the NBA... and they potentially have TWO top 5 players, at worst top 10.

RollingWave
10-27-2013, 08:02 AM
The Rockets also ended the pre-season with the best scoring differential of any team (only team that came close was the Bulls.)

It's pre-season, but it's hard to say that it could have gone any better than it did for Houston. And it's not like they were winning at the back end of games, their 8 man rotation pretty much crushed it in every game except the game in Taiwan (where Lin played 40 min for obvious reasons.)

I'm interested in seeing how their system goes in the season, I was listening to the EOB pod yesterday and Ethan Strauss made a great point that they almost feel like a smart accounting team in that what they do is often not pretty (a ton of trips to the foul line, a ton of 3 by average 3 point shooters.) but adds up to absurd efficiency. Their system is really really underrated, they were still quite elite offensively even without Harden on the floor last year, which speaks to that their other player's quality is probably underrated and their system's quality (especially on offense) is even more underrated.

Defensively there's a lot to like in what we saw from them in the pre-season, most notably the effort on Harden's part seem to got a lot better, and Lin got over screens better. they essentially had 2 bad defensive quarter in the entire pre-season, one was playing with an all scrub lineup against Anthony Davis and the other was Asik being uber rusty.

Their current set 8 man rotation (Harden / Howard / Parsons / Lin / Asik / Beverley / Garcia / Casspi .) have looked tremendous . and even their end of the bench guys have been quite good, there's still a long way to go certainly, but they're off to a nice start.

PurpleLynch
10-27-2013, 09:09 AM
Parsons is as good as any 3rd guy in the NBA... and they potentially have TWO top 5 players, at worst top 10.

I think Miami has still the best big three. Lebron,Wade and Bosh is still a great core. Anyway,Houston has a very good team,we'll see how Howard will do.