PDA

View Full Version : When Is the NBA Going To Give Montreal a Team?

TorontoHuskies
10-21-2013, 01:41 PM
I don't Know what the NBA's intent is on putting these games in Montreal. Is it just to expand certain teams fan bases further? or is it a test to see how viable a market Montreal would be for the NBA? Either way Montreal has packed all the games they have been given so far, even games featuring poor teams like Boston vs Minnesota. They had over 20,000 fans last game and over 22,000 last year when the Raptors were there (I think they even had to put in extra seats for that one). There's also no question that the NBA wants to grow the sport in new locations/countries and seeing what they've accomplished already in Toronto with the possibly of back to back #1 overall picks along with other lotto picks wouldn't it make sense to try to expand to Montreal who is already Canada's second top spot for NBA production (dalembert, Kris joseph, Joel Anthony,etc)? So my question is how long before the NBA moves one of these small market NBA teams to Montreal (I.e Charlotte, Memphis, New Orleans, etc)? Montreal is the second largest city in NA without an NBA team and has a population of 3.824 million compared to Charlotte-2.297 million, Memphis-1.316 million, New Orleans-1.168 million... People talk about bringing back teams to places which have already failed like Seattle and Vancouver (not that Van was ever given a fair chance to start with), etc but why not try somewhere new first?

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/news/column-loving-tradition-and-energy-montreal

http://www.nba.com/raptors/recap_101912

Kashmir13579
10-21-2013, 01:44 PM
I've missed taking trips to Montreal ever since the Expos left. Its an awesome little town. I have no clue what the financial implications would be, but personally i would love it if they got a team.

TorontoHuskies
10-21-2013, 01:49 PM
I've missed taking trips to Montreal ever since the Expos left. Its an awesome little town. I have no clue what the financial implications would be, but personally i would love it if they got a team.

Yea it's one of my favorite cities I go there all the time...It would likely create a rivalry with Toronto and probably NY or Boston and it's pretty close to 4 NBA markets already (Toronto, Brooklyn, NY, and Boston).

Kashmir13579
10-21-2013, 01:56 PM
Yea it's one of my favorite cities I go there all the time...It would likely create a rivalry with Toronto and probably NY or Boston and it's pretty close to 4 NBA markets already (Toronto, Brooklyn, NY, and Boston).

It just strikes me as a european city in feel without having to cross the pond. I've had great times in Montreal.