PDA

View Full Version : I Thought Darren Collison Sucked?

Clippersfan86
10-19-2013, 03:20 PM
31/2/6 last night off the bench, 20/2/10 and 4 steals two games ago, 10/10 game before that. He's also playing good defense. Sure it's preseason but the guy looks like a starting caliber player. I was expecting much worse with the way Pacers and Mavs fans described him to me.

xxplayerxx23
10-19-2013, 03:40 PM
It's preseason, he isn't good/thread

Stunner
10-19-2013, 03:42 PM
It's preseason, he isn't good/thread

Bingo

tredigs
10-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Might wanna wait for the regular season to get a couple months deep before you start with threads like these, unless you enjoy getting beat on.

Clippersfan86
10-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Lol the board has been flooded with preseason ones, this is a valid question. Preseason or not, guy can flat out play and should be among the best backup PG's. It's overstated how bad he was supposedly last year. Tre do I seem like a guy bothered by criticism?

STL Pride
10-19-2013, 03:55 PM
He's better suited as a 6th or 7th man off the bench. He played very well in New Orleans when he first came into the league, as a backup to CP3.
With a solid backup such as Collison, this lets CP3 rest more during the reg season and will allow CP to be fresh by the time the playoffs come around. It was a good move. Just like acquiring Jared Dudley and JJ Reddick were good moves as well.

tredigs
10-19-2013, 03:56 PM
I don't know, maybe you focused on the negative? Sure there's plenty of criticism blasted out during ANY signing, but I remember the general consensus being positive about that signing. He's clearly a competent backup (though his D sucks unless something drastic has happened), and he'll have his games like these. But it's the anomaly, not the norm. We know what player Collison is. He's 26, in his 5th season, and we've seen him in all types of roles (including one very similar to this one). I'm not expecting a big leap from him (he's a 12 and 5 guy with some explosive scoring possibilities and pretty weak D), but who knows.

PacersForLife
10-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Yeah I would wait a while and see how he looks midway through the season. He does seem to do better as Chris Paul's backup for some reason though.

Stunner
10-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Lol the board has been flooded with preseason ones, this is a valid question. Preseason or not, guy can flat out play and should be among the best backup PG's. It's overstated how bad he was supposedly last year. Tre do I seem like a guy bothered by criticism?

It's not valid lol it's pre season and did this before . Backed up CP3 , played well , got paid , sucked as a starter . He's noting more than a decent back up PG . Please don't make it more than that .

Sadds The Gr8
10-19-2013, 04:00 PM
he does.

Clippersfan86
10-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Stunner I don't expect a star but people pissed on him pretty hard. He definitely is better than "decent" as a backup. Tre 12/5 type off bench with improved D under Doc is great for a backup.

Bruno
10-19-2013, 04:18 PM
he's in a perfect role backing up cp3. you don't want him as your starter for 82 games but he's great for 12-15 minutes a game in a system designed around chris paul. he's also good enough to start for the 12-15 games Paul will miss over the course of 82.

DallasTrilla23
10-19-2013, 04:25 PM
He wasn't good in Dallas and even lost his starting spot to mike James at one point. He did have games like those during the season tho.

I'm sure he'll have a better season but I just think he's better off the bench than starting.

PowerHouse
10-19-2013, 04:26 PM
Might wanna wait for the regular season to get a couple months deep before you start with threads like these, unless you enjoy getting beat on.

He did mention its just the preseason and he is only saying he is starting player caliber not All-star worthy. We know you get fulfillment from beating down on others but there's no reason for it here.

Clippersfan86
10-19-2013, 04:29 PM
Thanks Powerhouse. I'm not even saying he's high caliber starter, just feel like this addition for 1.9 mill a year was amazing. I remember asking about him and pretty much everybody was bashing him.

Oefarmy2005
10-19-2013, 04:44 PM
He was pretty good as a starter in the league and is really good for a backup player. He has averaged 12 pts 6 asts and 1.5 stls over the last for years on adequate percentages - he does not suck. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise - preseason or not. I'd put him in the same category ans Ty Lawson who everybody seems to absolutely love.

IndyRealist
10-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Perpetually underrated. He's somewhere between efficient and extremely efficient. In Indy and Dallas they pretty much refused to run any system that would benefit him, and he was still a good starter. The Clippers lucked out getting him, because he was traded from Indy specifically because he wouldn't let go of the starting spot.

hugepatsfan
10-19-2013, 05:01 PM
I wish Doc made everyone in BOS better like he's supposedly doing in LAC.

Stunner
10-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Ty Lawson is better than DC though and proven he can start over a season . DC is just a decent back up like stated , you don't lose your job to a 37 year old PG .

heyman321
10-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Dude it's preseason.

Clippersfan86
10-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Good post Indy.

MrfadeawayJB
10-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Nobody with basketball knowledge thinks he sucks. He is a good backup and a below average starter.

D-Leethal
10-19-2013, 05:43 PM
He's a tough player to gauge. I remember when he was CP3's backup and CP3 went down, dude was putting up some monster games for a pretty extended stretch IIRC. I thought he was one of the next great young PGs. He didn't do much of anything in Indiana or Dallas and definitely appeared a bit scrubbish to the eye test. I never really saw much of a dynamic playmaker out of him.

b@llhog24
10-19-2013, 05:48 PM
He sucks

Guppyfighter
10-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Darren Collinson doesn't suck. He's been good the last whatever years. He's a starting capable point guard who got screwed by the market being chalk full of starting capable point guard.

Clippersfan86
10-19-2013, 05:57 PM
Darren Collinson doesn't suck. He's been good the last whatever years. He's a starting capable point guard who got screwed by the market being chalk full of starting capable point guard.

Agreed. Lucky for us for now but unfortunately I see him leaving us next summer or the one after for a big payday when market is a little better.

Guppyfighter
10-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Agreed. Lucky for us for now but unfortunately I see him leaving us next summer or the one after for a big payday when market is a little better.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised when the Clippers got him on the cheap like that. Great move by them.

WARRIORS@GR
10-19-2013, 06:07 PM
He was pretty good as a starter in the league and is really good for a backup player. He has averaged 12 pts 6 asts and 1.5 stls over the last for years on adequate percentages - he does not suck. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise - preseason or not. I'd put him in the same category ans Ty Lawson who everybody seems to absolutely love.
What?Lawson is a proven starter in a playoff team,and he was their 1st or 2nd best player.Collison sucked last year and lost his job down the stretch by the greatness named Mike James,while they were still competing for the playoffs.

It's preety simple.As a starter,Collison is easily the worst in the league.As a backup,he is probably one of the best.

Guppyfighter
10-19-2013, 06:11 PM
What?Lawson is a proven starter in a playoff team,and he was their 1st or 2nd best player.

It's preety simple.As a starter,Collison is easily the worst in the league.As a backup,he is probably one of the best.

Starting guards he was better than last year.

Holiday
Vasquez
Teague
Walker

Not that great of a list, but what about guards he was comparable to last year?

Lowry
Dragic
Lillard

He is pretty good and not one of the worst starters.

WARRIORS@GR
10-19-2013, 06:13 PM

Holiday
Vasquez
Teague
Walker

Lowry
Dragic
Lillard

Are you talking about Collison or Lawson?

Guppyfighter
10-19-2013, 06:18 PM
Collinson.

Lawson is way better than Collinson. Not sure why Lawson is even being talked about.

Denver-boy
10-19-2013, 06:20 PM
I like collison, I still think Hornets were dumb trading him away, he was a great player there after CP3 left.... now he's scrub.... what did I miss. Mavs couldnt produce a Starting PG. since ever? even Kidd struggled there, Devin Harris... Pacers, Hill and even DJ looks average there where he looked promising for the bobcats...so this guy exploding in Doc's system doesn't surprise some like me. Rondo, and Bradley know that. I expect a big year for CP3 even more! now

WARRIORS@GR
10-19-2013, 06:23 PM
Collinson.

Lawson is way better than Collinson. Not sure why Lawson is even being talked about.

All those guys you mentioned are better PG's than Collison.
Maybe some of them had an inefficient season,but that was mainly because their teams sucked.
Collison is the worst possible starter in the league if you are building a team,that's what I meant.

Guppyfighter
10-19-2013, 06:24 PM
All those guys you mentioned are better PG's than Collison.
Maybe some of them had an inefficient season,but that was mainly because their teams sucked.
Collison is the worst possible starter in the league if you are building a team,that's what I meant.

Collinson was still playing better despite being on a **** team for most of the season. That didn't change till Dirk.

And I agree, if you are just talking potential, you take the other guys. If not, you take Collinson's last season over any of those guys I listed.

mdm692
10-19-2013, 06:25 PM

Holiday
Vasquez
Teague
Walker

Lowry
Dragic
Lillard

The only one Collison is clearly better than is Walker. Vasquez and Teague(edit) are currently on par with him. Lowry, Dragic, Lillard and Holiday are all better.

WARRIORS@GR
10-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Collinson was still playing better despite being on a **** team for most of the season. That didn't change till Dirk.

And I agree, if you are just talking potential, you take the other guys. If not, you take Collinson's last season over any of those guys I listed.So why did he lose the starting job by MJ while they were competing?Is Carslile a bad coach?

Guppyfighter
10-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Carslile isn't a bad coach, but when you are a losing team you try anything to get a spark.

Little known fact though, he likes to bench players who don't play defense well. I don't think even Carslile thought Collinson was playing bad, but he makes you earn your time on the court, you have to play defense at a level that's pretty high, or at least show you are trying.

2-ONE-5
10-19-2013, 06:38 PM
there is no such thing as valid question in preseason games

PacersForLife
10-19-2013, 06:38 PM

And I agree, if you are just talking potential, you take the other guys. If not, you take Collinson's last season over any of those guys I listed.

Not trying to be the grammar police or whatever, but are you spelling his name like that on purpose?

Anyways, I always liked Collison. He's not as bad as some people made him out to be. As others have stated, Indiana and Dallas probably weren't the best systems for him. From what I saw in Indiana he wasn't that great of a passing point guard, but again that might have just been the system. He was a good scorer off the bench for us. I think his size might be what hurts him as a starter. He couldn't really do much on defense when it came to guys like D-Rose and Westbrook.

WARRIORS@GR
10-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Carslile isn't a bad coach, but when you are a losing team you try anything to get a spark.

Little known fact though, he likes to bench players who don't play defense well. I don't think even Carslile thought Collinson was playing bad, but he makes you earn your time on the court, you have to play defense at a level that's pretty high, or at least show you are trying.
It was not only defense.Just look at his last 10 or so games before getting benched.He was terrible all around.
I agree that they needed a spark,but this was not the main reason.If he was performing at a good level,he wouldn't be benched.

Clippersfan86
I agree Carlisle misused him. The,decision to bench him for a better defending vet doesn't mean James is better SMH.

Guppyfighter
Not trying to be the grammar police or whatever, but are you spelling his name like that on purpose?

Anyways, I always liked Collison. He's not as bad as some people made him out to be. As others have stated, Indiana and Dallas probably weren't the best systems for him. From what I saw in Indiana he wasn't that great of a passing point guard, but again that might have just been the system. He was a good scorer off the bench for us. I think his size might be what hurts him as a starter. He couldn't really do much on defense when it came to guys like D-Rose and Westbrook.

Yes, I did. For some reason I thought there was an N in his name. But sometimes I don't think that and leave it out. And I know, it's the pinnacle of laziness as all I have to do is look up and see the thread.

WARRIORS@GR
10-19-2013, 06:43 PM
I agree Carlisle misused him. The,decision to bench him for a better defending vet doesn't mean James is better SMH.
Who said James is better tho?

IversonIsKrazy
10-19-2013, 06:58 PM
He was beast during the season CP3 was injured and he got mins. But as soon as he became the main PG of Indy, he never lived to his expectations or excelled in the situation. Played w/e. Slowly became kinda crappy. Maybe he's reversing back into his time with NOH

Clippersfan86
10-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Who said James is better tho?

Anybody saying dumb **** like "He sucks, he was benched for 37 year old Mike James". Coach decisions are driven by a lot more than who's better. Bottom line is from the times I watched Indy and Dallas the last couple years, he appeared misused. More important than 12/5 type numbers he's back to playing D again like he did for the Hornets.

WARRIORS@GR
10-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Anybody saying dumb **** like "He sucks, he was benched for 37 year old Mike James". Coach decisions are driven by a lot more than who's better. Bottom line is from the times I watched Indy and Dallas the last couple years, he appeared misused. More important than 12/5 type numbers he's back to playing D again like he did for the Hornets.I never said Carslile benched him because MJ is better.He was not playing good,and they needed a spark.

Just a question,if you are building a team for 1 year in a fantasy draft and the 1st position you have to fill is starting PG,where would you pick Collison?i say bottom 2-3.That's all I wanted to say,I never said he sucks

Clippersfan86
10-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Im not talking about you... Yes I agree Collison is a bottom 5 starting PG. Top 5 backup PG though, which is more important.

WARRIORS@GR
10-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Im not talking about you... Yes I agree Collison is a bottom 5 starting PG. Top 5 backup PG though, which is more important.

I'd say he could be the best backup,can't think of anyone else better.Maybe Beverley/Lin.

Clippersfan86
10-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Jarrett Jack is his main PG competition and maybe Hinrich,now that Bledsoe is starting. Lin if not starting, but think he will.

WARRIORS@GR
10-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Jarrett Jack is his main PG competition and maybe Hinrich,now that Bledsoe is starting. Lin if not starting, but think he will.
Yeah,Hinrich too.JJ is not a PG.

DreamShaker
10-19-2013, 09:00 PM
He's not a bad player. Just not a starter.

JerseyPalahniuk
10-19-2013, 09:20 PM
I'm pretty sure you've made a thread for every player on the Clippers team this offseason.

ThuglifeJ
10-19-2013, 09:24 PM
In Dallas, collison was absolutely terrible. Absolutely. Terrible. Mike James and derrick fisher were signed just to make sure he didn't play.

I'll take a full season over preseason sample size hahaha that's funny. You are funny. You need to not make threads

DreamShaker
10-19-2013, 09:25 PM
I'm pretty sure you've made a thread for every player on the Clippers team this offseason.

C'mon, man. I have been anxiously awaiting the Ryan Hollins thread.

b@llhog24
10-19-2013, 09:29 PM

C'mon, man. I have been anxiously awaiting the Ryan Hollins thread.

Lol I wouldn't be surprised if he made one already.

5ass
10-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Who said he sucks? I remember every1 saying it was a great pick up and that he would be one of the best back ups.
Anyone who watched him in NO knows he doesnt suck. He put up close to 20-10 as a starter if i remember correctly.

DallasTrilla23
10-19-2013, 09:45 PM

Yea MJ didn't win the starting spot, collison lost it.

Bruno
10-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Who said he sucks? I remember every1 saying it was a great pick up and that he would be one of the best back ups.
Anyone who watched him in NO knows he doesnt suck. He put up close to 20-10 as a starter if i remember correctly.

when he started in place of Chris Paul in 2009-2010 between January 30th and March 20th (25 games) he put up 19/10 on great efficiency.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/collida01/gamelog/2010/#41-65-sum:pgl_basic

GunFactor187
10-19-2013, 09:54 PM
Best free agent signing this offseason IMO. 2 year/$1.9 mil deal was DOLLAR MENU for the Clips.

5ass
10-19-2013, 10:30 PM
when he started in place of Chris Paul in 2009-2010 between January 30th and March 20th (25 games) he put up 19/10 on great efficiency.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/collida01/gamelog/2010/#41-65-sum:pgl_basic
I was close. I remember watching a few games during that stretch and believing he'd be a borderline allstar. I didnt think he'll be a great player, but that was when the PG position was weak and the likes of jameer nelson and mo williams made an allstar game appearance.

kblo247
10-19-2013, 11:27 PM
Bingo

Oh me, oh my.

Clippersfan86
10-20-2013, 12:50 AM
Collison going ham in 4th again has 20 of our 24 bench points tonight.

WARRIORS@GR
10-20-2013, 12:56 AM
Collison going ham in 4th again has 20 of our 24 bench points tonight.

Andre Miller is schooling him on defense lol.

Clippersfan86
10-20-2013, 01:01 AM
Andre Miller is schooling him on defense lol.

Yea he's too small/weak to handle Miller. He's trying hard on D but just can't guard him. Problem is Foye is equally as big... so won't get any easier switching CP3 onto him, because Foye will likely get aggressive.

Clippersfan86
10-20-2013, 01:35 AM
Finishes with 27 points on 10-13 shooting, 3 assists, 3 rebounds and a steal in 30 minutes.

Vikingfan84
10-20-2013, 02:16 AM
31/2/6 last night off the bench, 20/2/10 and 4 steals two games ago, 10/10 game before that. He's also playing good defense. Sure it's preseason but the guy looks like a starting caliber player. I was expecting much worse with the way Pacers and Mavs fans described him to me.

He was great in New Orleans behind CP3 first go around. Got lost in Indiana and Dallas for whatever reason. I really liked him in New Orleans though. Made CP3 expendable. Then we traded him away anyways.

GiantsSwaGG
10-20-2013, 09:47 AM
:facepalm:

Goose17
10-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Did you seriously just make ANOTHER clippers-related thread? LMAO

And Collison is a decent backup point guard, the only thing he's really been inconsistent with is turning the ball over.

Bledsoe is going to be better, he's going to be a competent starting point man. But Collison is fine as a back up.

Kashmir13579
10-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Good back-up PG, serviceable starting PG. Good fit for the Clips imo.

2-ONE-5
10-20-2013, 11:10 AM
stop being a homer like usual. if Collison wasnt on your team this thread never gets created.

Stunner
10-20-2013, 11:30 AM
I'm just waiting on Malik Wayns thread

D-Leethal
10-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Alls I know, sucks or not suck, he definitely doesn't warrant 5 pages.

ManRam
10-20-2013, 12:03 PM
People think he sucks?

He's a very adequate back up. He's not as good defensively as the guy he's replacing, but he won't be any bit of a drop off offensively...I think he's better offensively than Bledsoe was.

TimeForAHoliday
10-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Anybody who think Darren sucked doesnt know ****. When CP3 went down with an injury in 2010 he put up godlike numbers for us. He averaged around 21/9 on like 48%. Thats ridiculous for a rookie.

IndyRealist
10-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Collison needs to be in a PG centric offense to be effective. For the record, every PG looks bad in Indiana, because the PG is required to give to ball up either to the post or the wing, and then spot up for 3's. Frank Vogel calls a LOT of plays from the sideline. That's why we a SG playing point.

Indiana also prefers tall, strong players at point who won't get annihilated when they switch on SGs. The Derrick Roses and Chris Pauls of the league see a large chunk of Paul George on defense.

ThuglifeJ
10-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Preseason.

Kashmir13579
10-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Alls I know, sucks or not suck, he definitely doesn't warrant 5 pages.

He's no Jeremy Lin.

gwrighter
10-20-2013, 09:42 PM
Pre-season.

goingfor28
10-20-2013, 10:04 PM
he looks really friggin good so far playing w CP again

amos1er
10-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Law of averages.

Rockice_8
10-21-2013, 09:58 AM
Stunner I don't expect a star but people pissed on him pretty hard. He definitely is better than "decent" as a backup. Tre 12/5 type off bench with improved D under Doc is great for a backup.

My God I'm getting tired of hearing this. DeAndre is gonna start making FT's now because of Doc, Collison is now a good defender because of Doc, Blake will have consistent jumper now because of Doc, Doc will get the best out of Mullens and he'll be a great backup big.

Why would BOS get rid of Doc, he can turn water into wine. Yes I get it you guys hated VD but Doc isn't a magician. He brings stability and experience, not MJ's "secret stuff."

Back on topic, Collison is a good PG but his lack of size hurts him defensively (and teams do exploit that). He can have good nights and is a good backup PG to have nothing special about him (not crowning him the best backup) as lots of teams have solid backup PG's. He's a score first PG that won't get as much time this year cause he can't play off the ball to CP3 (who will take most of his minutes).

Good backup to have that could play starter minutes if CP3 goes down for short stretches but he's a bench guy for a reason.

king4day
10-21-2013, 10:14 AM
He's probably always going to be best served as a backup PG. His numbers will probably translate better.

That, or, maybe he just had a good offseason and actually improved.

FlashBolt
10-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Another one of those daily Clippers related topics by yours truly.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 01:05 PM
My God I'm getting tired of hearing this. DeAndre is gonna start making FT's now because of Doc, Collison is now a good defender because of Doc, Blake will have consistent jumper now because of Doc, Doc will get the best out of Mullens and he'll be a great backup big.

Why would BOS get rid of Doc, he can turn water into wine. Yes I get it you guys hated VD but Doc isn't a magician. He brings stability and experience, not MJ's "secret stuff."

Back on topic, Collison is a good PG but his lack of size hurts him defensively (and teams do exploit that). He can have good nights and is a good backup PG to have nothing special about him (not crowning him the best backup) as lots of teams have solid backup PG's. He's a score first PG that won't get as much time this year cause he can't play off the ball to CP3 (who will take most of his minutes).

Good backup to have that could play starter minutes if CP3 goes down for short stretches but he's a bench guy for a reason.

What does improved D have to do with free throws lol? Although a coaching change/change in confidence can absolutely improve FT's as well.