PDA

View Full Version : Clippers Cover Up Lakers and Sparks Championship Banners

kblo247
10-19-2013, 03:29 AM
Staples Center finally w Clippers look. Covered up Lakers banners w Clippers players. pic.twitter.com/ZFkbHetB9J (via @DanWoikeSports )

Click on link to see the photo. https://twitter.com/DuranSports/status/391356921241821184

------

JA Adande's Tweet wrote:
Clippers covered those too RT @nando1287: hey clippers even the sparks have a banner up there lmao.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jadande/status/391422332171857920

Inferiority complex about being the only tenants who have no championship (if you include the Kings who they also covered up)? Its just weird and looks trashy IMO.

Do you think its time for them to fine their own home or actually win? Do you think this was a Doc move as those titles have always been displayed for the other 3 occupants of staples?

Raps18-19 Champ
10-19-2013, 03:36 AM
Good idea. Why should you have other teams championship banners in 'your arena'. Whenever the Clippers play a home game, it is their arena for that night, not anyone else.

No need to have separate arenas. Just a waste of space, money and a building.

kblo247
10-19-2013, 03:42 AM
Seems tacky after 12 years of playing with them all on display. It goes back to talk radio, namely Max and Marcellus laughing at the idea of them ever displaying that pacific division title they won in staples. It was a conversation when they won the pacific last year and Max said there's no way they would ever display it because it looks so out of place with the Lakers, Sparks, and Kings championship banners hanging.

There's also the timing of doing this after you get Doc as coach who got beat for one of those banners. Its just weird after over a decade and to do it randomly seems tacky or screams an inferiority complex because of he four franchises that occupy the space they are the least prestigious

Raps18-19 Champ
10-19-2013, 03:44 AM
Eh. I think it's better to cover up than to have them there, even after 12 years.

kblo247
10-19-2013, 03:58 AM
I don't get the need now to perpetuate the illusion they are on the rise. The lakers have been eliminated from the same round of the playoffs both cp3 years. They've both been the same distance basically, so I'm like Marcellus when they talked about the pacific title, but eh I will probably always see the clips as the red head stepchild tbh.

Covering them up will get them laughed at come Monday morning on talk radio, it just makes another joke for M&M as well as Mason and Ireland IMO. They need to win, maybe not a title, but the conference to be taken seriously and have something to display of their own.

This situation is why I always thought they should go to Anaheim and make a name for themselves while staying in the LA market. Their own house, no shadows, no expectations, eh, just me.

Goose17
10-19-2013, 07:22 AM
They're doing the right thing. It doesn't matter if they share the arena, they don't leave the Lakers logo's etc on the floor and stuff, why leave the banners up? They should have been doing this from day one.

Plus, Lakers are irrelevant this season.

NYKnickFanatic
10-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Looks pretty sweet.

b@llhog24
10-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Better late than never.

lakerfan85
10-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Clippers need to find another arena...

The 6-4-3
10-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Looks like a Clipper Home Arena now

bholly
10-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Can't believe it took them this long, especially given how good it looks. Good move.

JLynn943
10-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Can't believe it took them this long, especially given how good it looks. Good move.

Yeah, seriously. I just figured they'd always done it. Who wants another team's championship banners up in your home arena?

ILLUSIONIST^248
10-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Clippers need to find another arena...Yup, they're an embarrassment to our legendary building and winning ways.

UPRock
10-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Lol why so mad Lakers fans? That's not permanently, they're obviously taking it off for you people.

beliges
10-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Whenever the Clippers play a home game, it is their arena for that night, not anyone else.

Unless they play the Lakers. Then its just like a laker home game.

lamzoka
10-19-2013, 01:51 PM
I applaud the clipps for this. Lakers banners have no business in the arena during clippers home games.

Clippersfan86
10-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Both teams pay rent, should of done this long ago. Change court, seats etc so why not put up more Clippers decor while covering Lakers banners? Will feel like more of a home game now.

Clippersfan86
10-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Btw for anybody wondering this was all Doc. I think it was to motivate our guys more AND annoy the Lakers TBH. But it looks so much nicer cosmetically anyways.

Bruno
10-19-2013, 02:55 PM
those banners should always be visible in staples center. shaq and kobe built that place. did mick jagger and keith richards put up huge photos of themselves over the banners when they rocked staples in may? no, didn't think so ;)

abe_froman
10-19-2013, 03:20 PM
thought they did this already,i mean why wouldnt they,its not the lakers staduim during the clippers games

NYSpirit1
10-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Clippers need to find another arena...

The Clippers are the premium team in Los Angeles. Lakers should find another arena.

Bruno
10-19-2013, 03:33 PM
The Clippers are the premium team in Los Angeles. Lakers should find another arena.

the clippers got knocked out in the first round last year.

xxplayerxx23
10-19-2013, 03:39 PM

Lol yeah let's pretend like the lakers dont own LA regardless

Cal827
10-19-2013, 04:47 PM

Avenged
10-19-2013, 04:52 PM

Wow.

Byronicle
10-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Sounds to me like Laker fans are being obnoxious and wanted to suppress the Clippers because they are trying to compensate for a lack of...attention? Even though they get plenty of it, those attention whores.

Chronz
10-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Its gonna be so sweet to go to Lakers-clipper games knowing the fans/players will be deprived of that spectacle

doing it in their own building is a ballsy move

ILLUSIONIST^248
10-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Its gonna be so sweet to go to Lakers-clipper games knowing the fans/players will be deprived of that spectacle

Well you guys need something to be happy about, I mean not ever winning a ship must be hard.

D-Leethal
10-19-2013, 05:40 PM
They should have grew some balls and did it a long time ago. I know the Clips sucked forever, but they basically just accepted being the Lakers ***** since inception.

Lakeshow24KB
10-19-2013, 05:58 PM

LOL stop it.

Bruno
10-19-2013, 07:14 PM

dont worry Chronz, West, Magic, KAJ and Chick will still be outside to say hello and goodbye to every fan, purple and gold, or blue and red.

mike_noodles
10-19-2013, 07:38 PM
I understand why they would cover the Lakers, but covering up the Sparks is a little ridiculous.

Teeboy1487
10-19-2013, 07:47 PM
They're doing the right thing. It doesn't matter if they share the arena, they don't leave the Lakers logo's etc on the floor and stuff, why leave the banners up? They should have been doing this from day one.

Plus, Lakers are irrelevant this season. :mad:

JWorthy42
10-19-2013, 07:59 PM
If you can't face it, pretend like it never happened.

JWorthy42
10-19-2013, 08:00 PM
dont worry Chronz, West, Magic, KAJ and Chick will still be outside to say hello and goodbye to every fan, purple and gold, or blue and red.

This.

ILLUSIONIST^248
10-19-2013, 08:02 PM

Haha, **** yeah Bruno, ZING!!!!!!!!!

J4KOP99
10-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Leave it up and use it as motivation. "See those things up there..."

kblo247
10-19-2013, 11:33 PM
Both teams pay rent, should of done this long ago. Change court, seats etc so why not put up more Clippers decor while covering Lakers banners? Will feel like more of a home game now.

Clippers pay rent. AEG who own staples are part owners of the Lakers, Kings, and Sparks. Their the stepchild of the bunch

kblo247
10-19-2013, 11:35 PM

Haven't people said the last sentence the past two years which have been down years for the lakers, yet CP3/Blake and the clip show have finished where the Lakers have, they both lost in the second two years ago and both basically got swept out the first this past summer.

goingfor28
10-19-2013, 11:37 PM
Clippers need to find another arena...Yup, they're an embarrassment to our legendary building and winning ways.

You mean the LA Kings building?

Clippersfan86
10-19-2013, 11:39 PM
Clippers pay rent. AEG who own staples are part owners of the Lakers, Kings, and Sparks. Their the stepchild of the bunch

Wrong. Lakers pay a percentage of their total ticket sales to AEG as payment for rental. Just because AEG owns 30 percent of the Lakers DOES NOT mean the team still doesn't pay rent because they do. That doesn't change my point though, which is that multiple teams pay rent there besides the Kings who are 100 percent owned, in some way, shape or form. AEG doe NOT own the Sparks.

kblo247
Leave it up and use it as motivation. "See those things up there..."

That's true, but Doc got his *** beat for one of those things up there. I think that's why it got blocked off.

It has to suck to be the one team out of four in said arena who has nothing to show for yourself. The Kings won the cup. The sparks when owned by buss one b2b titles and won a conference title. The lakers have won 15 titles, what 35 western conference titles and more pacific titles they don't even display. The clippers well they have pictures and a pacific banner to show even after sharing the same building the past 13 years.

It makes them seem like the least important team in the building prestige wise.

kblo247
Wrong. Lakers pay a percentage of their total ticket sales to AEG as payment for rental. Just because AEG owns 30 percent of the Lakers DOES NOT mean the team still doesn't pay rent because they do. That doesn't change my point though, which is that multiple teams pay rent there besides the Kings who are 100 percent owned, in some way, shape or form. AEG doe NOT own the Sparks.
My bad, they did own a part of the sparks along with the buss family in their glory years of Leslie

Clippersfan86
10-19-2013, 11:43 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staples_Center

You guys may want to brush up on Staples history. Clippers, Lakers and Kings all moved in when 1999 when it opened. It belongs to nobody more than the other, although it was originally built for the Kings I believe. Sure the Lakers have more of a home there given the success and number of fans but it's ignorant to act like the Clippers don't have a home here too.

Clippersfan86
10-19-2013, 11:45 PM
My point isn't that the Clippers have equal pull or something in LA. I'm merely saying... why the fu** are Lakers fans offended? It's not a disrespect thing. You don't find it a little weird that we have been playing home games for 13 years with Lakers jerseys and banners up, despite the rest of the floor, chairs etc being Clipper themed? This should have been done in 1999, unfortunately Sterling didn't give a fu** until recently.

MrfadeawayJB
10-19-2013, 11:55 PM
I think it looks cool. It is weird that they just started doing it once they became relevant

kblo247
10-19-2013, 11:59 PM
It just comes off as weird because they've all displayed one another's banners, talking the other 3 franchises for the 12-13 years they have been there. The clippers have displayed the other 3 franchises who've all won something there in staples for 12-13 years to now suddenly cover them up with pictures of Matt Brnes because Doc came. Its just tasteless after a decade.

Should the Lakers, Sparks, or Kings cover one another up? You can't run from the fact that the other franchises have been champions in staples and as Bruno said what the point when you have Magic, Chick, Kareem looking at you walking thru that door.

Win something to hang up there alongside them all and say we matter just as much as opposed to just trying to cover thing up IMO

I honestly doubt steering cared, I bet Doc did, but sterling has been content with it for years

Clippersfan86
10-20-2013, 12:00 AM
It just comes off as weird because they've all displayed one another's banners, talking the other 3 franchises for the 12-13 years they have been there. The clippers have displayed the other 3 franchises who've all won something there in staples for 12-13 years to now suddenly cover them up with pictures of Matt Brnes because Doc came. Its just tasteless after a decade.

Should the Lakers, Sparks, or Kings cover one another up? You can't run from the fact that the other franchises have been champions in staples and as Bruno said what the point when you have Magic, Chick, Kareem looking at you walking thru that door

If they were ONLY covering up the Lakers stuff fine, but they aren't. It's really nothing personal trust me. It's not "tasteless", it's more like "it's about damn time". The point is that it feels more like a home game and has more Clippers decor, not that hard to understand. Statues outside doesn't change anything in terms of how the players feel in regards to HCA, especially considering they don't come through the front doors anyways.

John Walls Era
10-20-2013, 12:01 AM
Do the Lakers cover up the Clippers'?

O nvm

MrfadeawayJB
10-20-2013, 12:15 AM
Do the Lakers cover up the Clippers'?

O nvm

:laugh: that's cold man

Lakers + Giants
10-20-2013, 02:16 AM

So Knicks should move out of NY? Cuz Nets are the premium team . .

Lakers + Giants
10-20-2013, 02:18 AM
Honestly though, clippers should've done this since day 1. If anything it was sort of embarrassing looking up and seeing laker banners while clippers were hosting other teams besides lakers. I don't think laker fans should be offended by this at all, doesn't change anything.

Clippersfan86
10-20-2013, 02:29 AM
Honestly though, clippers should've done this since day 1. If anything it was sort of embarrassing looking up and seeing laker banners while clippers were hosting other teams besides lakers. I don't think laker fans should be offended by this at all, doesn't change anything.

Exactly. Logical post from you as usual. It was rather pathetic for the last 13 years to feel like it's a Lakers court/home game no matter who you're playing if you look around and up. It's a good thing to make the team feel like they have a bit more of a homecourt advantage. I see the drama coming when the Clippers do it against the Lakers for their designated home games and they will. Probably a few brawls will break out the first game that happens.

jerellh528
10-20-2013, 03:36 AM
As a laker fan, I don't know what the big deal is. They should've been covering those banners years ago. Finally, it looks dumb to go to a clipper game and have all those lakers titles and jerseys hanging up. Good job clips, but just know this is the laker's city. I see clippers fans as wanna be hipsters, just liking what nobody else like lol.

USMCLaker
10-20-2013, 04:04 AM
They can and should cover up the Lakers banners but they can't cover up the applause the Lakers get on their(The clippers) home court.

kobe4thewinbang
10-20-2013, 05:53 AM
I think Mr. & Mrs. Clippers should consider therapy for their troubled child.

PurpleLynch
10-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Not bothered,it seems reasonable to me. They also play at the Staples and it looks like more of a home arena now. Anyway banners won't be covered on Lakers-Clippers game :D

dee279
10-20-2013, 09:06 AM
That looks good. Good idea if i must say so myself.

kylem4711
10-20-2013, 03:32 PM
looks good. really confused by some of the laker fans getting offended.

TrueFan420
10-20-2013, 10:38 PM

Agreed

Chronz
10-20-2013, 10:46 PM

If you only knew how I've desecrated those statues, you may not want to take apic do close next time. All ofem, save for chick, hes cool

Jk

Tony_Starks
10-20-2013, 10:48 PM
Doc still salty about game 7. Lol!

Bruno
10-20-2013, 11:43 PM
If you only knew how I've desecrated those statues, you may not want to take apic do close next time. All ofem, save for chick, hes cool

Jk
hahaha. i was gona say, "so you're the guy who tied the clipper balloons to Chicks statue last season"

Chronz
10-21-2013, 12:16 AM

Jk
hahaha. i was gona say, "so you're the guy who tied the clipper balloons to Chicks statue last season"
Lol, I think I found my new annual tradition

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 12:22 AM
Honestly that balloon thing WAS classless if intentional but I'm not sure if it was the staff working for the Clippers or fans, so tough to know who's at fault. It's kind of a funny troll in hindsight nonetheless.

nastynice
10-21-2013, 12:41 AM
wait, what the hell, the clippers have been playing all these years while having lakers banners hanging??

that's wierd, they shoulda been covering them up from day 1

nastynice
10-21-2013, 12:47 AM
those banners should always be visible in staples center. shaq and kobe built that place. did mick jagger and keith richards put up huge photos of themselves over the banners when they rocked staples in may? no, didn't think so ;)

once mick jagger and keith richards become an official nba team, they probably will :shrug:

LeperMessiah
10-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Yup, they're an embarrassment to our legendary building and winning ways.
Which no longer exists now.

PurpleLynch
10-21-2013, 02:24 PM

Jk

Now I'm courious. So what did you do at the statues? lol

Cracka2HI!
10-21-2013, 05:26 PM
I didn't really care about this when I first read it. I have to say I think it looks great and like an actual Clipper home arena now! It seems most PSDers agree with that...minus the jealous/butt hurt Laker fan that is. If I were a Laker fan I think I would care less about what the Clippers do to the decor for thier home games than I would the pathetic banners the Lakers put on the outside of Staples begging Howard to stay.

minato_17
10-21-2013, 09:29 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BXEWZLFCMAEhmpN.jpg

:laugh:

beliges
10-21-2013, 09:44 PM
I didn't really care about this when I first read it. I have to say I think it looks great and like an actual Clipper home arena now! It seems most PSDers agree with that...minus the jealous/butt hurt Laker fan that is. If I were a Laker fan I think I would care less about what the Clippers do to the decor for thier home games than I would the pathetic banners the Lakers put on the outside of Staples begging Howard to stay.

Yes I agree its about time the clippers made it more their own "home" arena but staples center will always be the lakers home arena, the building Kobe built. With that said can't blame the clips for this move. It should've always been like this. Im.one of those that strongly feel clips need to get out of LA and out if staples because they will always live in the Lakers shadow.

Cracka2HI!
10-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Fair enough but I completely disagree with the last part. The Clippers aren't in the Lakers shadow at all. A lot of sports fans think that. Probably the majority. From a fans and business stand point they are not related in anyway. The thing is they have GREAT attendance at Staples. Always have. They sell out every game now that they're good and were still putting butts in the seats when they sucked. They couldn't make more money or draw more fans in another arena. They don't need their own building. I don't really care that the Lakers have the better legacy and the teams play in the same building. I never will.

beliges
10-21-2013, 10:55 PM
Fair enough but I completely disagree with the last part. The Clippers aren't in the Lakers shadow at all. A lot of sports fans think that. Probably the majority. From a fans and business stand point they are not related in anyway. The thing is they have GREAT attendance at Staples. Always have. They sell out every game now that they're good and were still putting butts in the seats when they sucked. They couldn't make more money or draw more fans in another arena. They don't need their own building. I don't really care that the Lakers have the better legacy and the teams play in the same building. I never will.

They sell out every game because they play in LA not because they have a great fan base. Sorry but no matter who the team is, any pro sports team in LA will be in the Lakers shadow. LA is a lakers town and the clips will never change that.

Cracka2HI!
10-22-2013, 12:04 AM
I don't disagree with any of that except the part about any team being the Lakers shadow. I guess I can even agree with that. I just don't think it matters. Trust me, if the Clippers go to the WCF or further and the Lakers miss the playoffs things will be a lot different in LA.

beliges
10-22-2013, 01:35 AM
I don't disagree with any of that except the part about any team being the Lakers shadow. I guess I can even agree with that. I just don't think it matters. Trust me, if the Clippers go to the WCF or further and the Lakers miss the playoffs things will be a lot different in LA.

Nothing can be done to change LA from a Lakers town. Even with the successful team the Clips have put together and the absolute mess the lakers have been, LA is all about the Lakers. The city and team have too much of a history.