PDA

View Full Version : Favors signs big extension with Jazz

spreadeagle
10-19-2013, 01:04 AM
Good deal?
Derrick Favors has reached agreement on a four-year, $49 million-plus contract extension with the Utah Jazz, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

The deal includes bonus incentives that could push the package well over $50 million, sources said. Favors, 22, is a centerpiece of the Jazz's future and will take over a starting frontcourt position because of the off-season departures of Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap. A contract will be signed in the near future, sources tell Yahoo.

As Favors' role and production increase this year and beyond, his ability to earn the incentive clauses in the deal will grow. In three seasons, Favors has shown the promise to become one of the NBA's top young power forwards.

With ideal size at 6-foot-10 and 250 pounds, and merely the age of a college senior, Favors could've commanded a $13 million annual salary from several teams in restricted free agency next summer, executives told Yahoo Sports.

Yet Favors' agent, Wallace Prather, and Jazz officials worked out a deal over the past several months that offers security and protection to both sides. Utah risked having to match a higher offer on the market if it didn't meet Favors' asking price now. For Prather and Favors, this is an outstanding deal in the current marketplace.

Favors, the third overall pick by New Jersey in the 2010 NBA draft out of Georgia Tech, was the key player in the Jazz's trade of All-Star point guard Deron Williams to the Nets three years ago. In 23.2 minutes per game a season ago, Favors averaged 9.4 points and 7.1 rebounds.

Favors is part of a 2010 draft class eligible to sign contract extensions until Oct. 31. Without a deal by the deadline, players become restricted free agents on July 1, 2014. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--derrick-favors-agrees-to-extension-with-jazz-180910657.html

MrfadeawayJB
10-19-2013, 01:12 AM
I think he will live up to it. Hard to tell though cause his sample size isn't too large

Sadds The Gr8
10-19-2013, 01:22 AM
I think he'll end up being worth even more than this. I know per 36 isn't the best measure but his are pretty good. he looks like he'll be one of the top PF's in a few years.

Favors is my pick for MIP this year

The_Jamal
10-19-2013, 01:26 AM
Great deal. His production has warranted big minutes for years now.

lakersfan01
10-19-2013, 02:17 AM
I think that could wind up being a steal. Good deal for both sides though because it gives Favors financial stability in case of career ending or altering injury.

nyyfan4life
10-19-2013, 02:22 AM
He's gonna end up out-performing that deal. I think he'll have a very good season this year and develop into a star level player next year.

lol, please
10-19-2013, 04:15 AM
DoMeFavors :worthy:

sunsfan88
10-19-2013, 05:55 AM
Its a good deal for both sides really.

If Utah can now just get a guard that's worth a damn to put with Hayward, Kanter and Favors...

xxplayerxx23
10-19-2013, 07:07 AM
Its a good deal for both sides really.

If Utah can now just get a guard that's worth a damn to put with Hayward, Kanter and Favors...

I like Burke I think he's going to be a very good pro