PDA

View Full Version : Bulls' Redraft 1st Round: (3) Brampton vs (6) Pittsburgh

Shammyguy3
10-18-2013, 09:25 PM
Every year the Bulls' Forum holds a game where GM's creates the best team via a clean slated fantasy, snake-draft and also by means of trade. At the end of the game, GMs voted on how they believed the regular season of this game would shake up. These are the playoffs of the Bulls' Forum 2013 NBA Re-Draft.

Please take the time to consider each line up, the match-up itself, and vote on which team you believe would win in a seven game series. Some teams have written their own "write-ups" detailing why they should win this series.

BRAMPTON HAS HOME COURT ADVANTAGE

3. Brampton
PG: Ty Lawson (34)/Mo Williams (14)
SG: Wes Matthews (30)/Ramon Sessions (18)
SF: Jeff Green (32)/C.J. Miles (16)/Omri Casspi
PF: Ryan Anderson (30)/Carl Landry (18)/Anthony Tolliver
C: Roy Hibbert (33)/Carl Landry (5)/Ian Mahinmi (10)

6. Pittsburgh
PG Damian Lillard
SG Tony Allen
SF Paul George
PF Luis Scola
C Andrew Bynum
6th Mike Dunleavy
7th Marco Belinelli
8th Andrea Bargnani
9th Andre Miller
10th Zaza Pachulia
11th Glen Davis
12th Ronnie Brewer

Brampton's Write-up:

PG: Lawson vs Lillard
This is the classic offense vs offense type of matchup. Neither player defends very well, but we have the advantage here as Lawson is the more efficient, and playoff proven basketball player. Lawson also has the playmaking advantage over Lillard and is great at controlling the tempo of games as he does so many times with the Denver Nuggets. Lawson is better at every facet of the game except 3 point shooting where Lillard has the advantage. Advantage Brampton.

SG: Wes Matthews vs Tony Allen
Tony Allen is great at what he does, but that’s the only thing he brings. Allen is capable of locking up the best of scorers but we don’t have an isolation player so his defense renders pretty useless for this series. Matthews on the other hand is one of the best perimeter defenders as well, but he brings an offensive game to the table with his solid 3pt shooting at close to 40%, and does well playing off the ball unlike Tony Allen. Because Allen doesn’t really have a player in this series to use his excellent defense against, while we can use Wes to guard Paul George on some possessions, I’d say we have the advantage here as well. Advantage Brampton.

SF: Jeff Green vs Paul George
Paul George is the better player here and we can’t really argue against that. However, George still hasn’t shown the consistent ability to be a #1 scorer in the NBA yet. He’s had flashes but hasn’t put it all together and this is a reason why Pittsburgh can struggle to score at times in this series. We have 2 very good wing defenders to guard George in Wes Matthews, and Jeff Green. Green showed to be a solid 2 way player last season, standing out on both ends of the floor. Near the end of the year he showed flashes of becoming a legitimate scoring threat with great performances against the Miami Heat where he dropped 40+ points, and in the playoffs against the Knicks as well. Green is inconsistent on the offensive end but when he puts it together he’s capable of lighting up the scoreboard. George has the advantage here but we have 2 good on-ball defenders for him, and he’s struggled in the past with shooting %s and turnovers.

PF: Ryan Anderson vs Luis Scola
We definitely have an advantage at the Power Forward position. Anderson is the best shooter in the league behind Steph Curry and he will be able to bomb 3s with Lawson penetrating and Scola not able to guard him because, Scola doesn’t defend at all. Scola is a decent post player but isn’t a starter at this point in his career as he’s been declining for the past few years. Anderson will be a consistent 3 pt threat that Pittsburgh will have no answer for. Advantage Brampton

C: Roy Hibbert vs Andrew Bynum
Roy Hibbert here. Bynum CANNOT be trusted to stay healthy throughout a season, better yet make a playoff appearance. His knees are shot and he’ll miss a ton of games just as he has the past several years. This would leave Zaza PAchulia matched up against Roy Hibbert, and in that case Pittsburgh would have no shot. Roy Hibbert is an elite defender in the game and showed flashes of being an offensive threat in the playoffs. Zaza is no match for Hibbert as he’s declining as well and hasn’t been good in years. Advantage Brampton.
Bench: Williams/Sessions/Miles/Landry/Mahinmi vs Dunleavy/Belinelli/Bargnani/Miller/Zaza
I’d say we have the advantage here as well. Williams is a great knock down shooter and Sessions a great penetrator and playmaker. Miles also knocks down 3s at a high rate and Landry is the best 3rd big in the league bringing an very efficient offensive game to the table. Our bench is loaded with scorers giving our team complete balance. We can score at every position so we’re a threat everywhere and are a nightmare to guard.

Conclusion:
Brampton will live off Lawson penetration and kickouts to shooters. Matthews, Anderson and Green are good 3pt shooters, and bringing great shooters off the bench in Mo Williams and CJ Miles makes us a deadly team from beyond the arc. Lillard simply won’t be able to contain Lawson and their defense will break down from there. Yes they have great defenders on the wings but we don’t have isolation wing players anyways so George and Allen won’t make a huge difference on the offensive end. Bynum’s availability is a problem for them as well and that makes Hibbert a huge offensive threat. Pittsburgh won’t be able to contain our in & out game with 3 point shooters, Lawson driving, and Hibbert eating up their interior. There is no answer for Lawson and Hibbert in this series, Brampton in 5.

*** Pittsburgh did not send in a write-up

Sportfan
10-19-2013, 09:33 AM
Brampton is incredibly well rounded but is there someone on that team that can take over a team? Pittsburgh has 3 in George, Lillard and Bynum

Allen and George on the wing together? That d is LOCKDOWN. I don't see ty vs Lillard as a clear win for either

bloomis1307
10-19-2013, 09:52 AM
Umm, I was under the impression we assume everyone is healthy? So that is pretty much utter BS

"Bynum CANNOT be trusted to stay healthy throughout a season, better yet make a playoff appearance. His knees are shot and he’ll miss a ton of games just as he has the past several years."

I'd argue most of your other points but I'm really busy lately. I'll sum it up like this

Lawson and Lillard is even they both score and they both produce defense
Wes vs Mathews played 4 times against each other last year and put up the same stats offensively so again no true advantage
Green vs PG you can see green was starting to put it together all you want towards the end of the season but so was PG. We clearly win this matchup and he should be able to put up 20+ a night.
Anderson vs Scola. You have the edge here offensively but Scola does play defense, his RAPM last year was 0.7 while Anderson's was -2.9. I'd say Scola would be able to produce in this series offensively.
Hibbert vs Bynum. If we even assume that Bynum is coming back at 75% of what he was before he got here he would still take advantage of Hibbert. While hibbert is a good defender Bynum was considered bar none the best offensive C in the league before those injuries occured
Bench vs Bench I think our bench is better with our wing shooters in dunleavy and bellinelli with a good distributor in andre miller but to each his own.

I think its a close series but we are the better team.

Sadds The Gr8
10-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Umm, I was under the impression we assume everyone is healthy? So that is pretty much utter BS

"Bynum CANNOT be trusted to stay healthy throughout a season, better yet make a playoff appearance. His knees are shot and he’ll miss a ton of games just as he has the past several years."

I'd argue most of your other points but I'm really busy lately. I'll sum it up like this

Lawson and Lillard is even they both score and they both produce defense
LOL no it isn't Lawson is clearly better. More efficient and better playmaker. don't see how that can be argued.

Wes vs Mathews played 4 times against each other last year and put up the same stats offensively so again no true advantage
Still saying i have the advantage there. Allen is one dimensional and doesn't contribute to offense, where as Matthews contributes to both sides.

Green vs PG you can see green was starting to put it together all you want towards the end of the season but so was PG. We clearly win this matchup and he should be able to put up 20+ a night.
I said you have the matchup here, but Green will hold his own. Paul George isn't a dominant scorer by any means so don't act like he is. I don't know how u can assume he'll average 20 when he never averaged that in any playoff series last year and we have 2 elite wing defenders guarding him with one of the best defensive anchors in the game protecting the paint from his drives,

Anderson vs Scola. You have the edge here offensively but Scola does play defense, his RAPM last year was 0.7 while Anderson's was -2.9. I'd say Scola would be able to produce in this series offensively.
LOL Scola was ranked 229 in defense according to Synergy giving up 0.88 PPP. Defense my ***...

he's a pathetic defender at this point and there's a reason he doesn't start anymore.

Hibbert vs Bynum. If we even assume that Bynum is coming back at 75% of what he was before he got here he would still take advantage of Hibbert. While hibbert is a good defender Bynum was considered bar none the best offensive C in the league before those injuries occured
You never assume health in these games. Why on earth do you think Bynum fell so low? Same with Rondo and Rose. Hibbert would be able to hold his own and dominate on D even with Bynum there.

Bench vs Bench I think our bench is better with our wing shooters in dunleavy and bellinelli with a good distributor in andre miller but to each his own.
get out of here this isn't close. Landry >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anyone on your bench. And my wing players are much better. Miller and Mo is close but they do different things.

I think its a close series but we are the better team.
not really. we have much more scorers and elite defenders. We should win in 5 games.

bloomis1307
10-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Mathews just is not an elite defender, he had a Def rating of 107.8 and a RAPM of -1.5. I'm not going to argue that Allen is an offensive stud but he will still be good for 10 ppg in my eyes. Jeff Green is a def rating of 100.2 and RAPM of 0 much more respectable but thats average at best, not elite. I don't see him stopping PG.

As for Lillard vs Lawson they are both bad defenders, but saying your guy is the better playmaker I don't think is true. There isn't really a stat that gauges that metric so we can just agree to disagree there. I personally feel they would be about even in this series.

If Scola is a bad defender, Ryan Anderson is a horrific one....I mean Scola is 105 def rating and Anderson is 110. Thats just bad. Scola has a decent midrange jumper too so he should be able to take advantage of Anderson on the other end. You can say Scola has gone to the bench this season, but Anderson has been riding the pine longer than Scola has.

At the end of the day it all comes down to who would score more points, and because its a series, more consistently

You have Lawson who will get his Green who would have trouble against PG and then Ryan Anderson as your scorers. Thats it really. We have Bynum who might have trouble getting his, PG who should be fine and Lillard who will get his also. Scola should be able to hit the midrange jumper at will as well. I see our scorers having a higher potential for points with everything else aside

Sadds The Gr8
10-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Mathews just is not an elite defender, he had a Def rating of 107.8 and a RAPM of -1.5. I'm not going to argue that Allen is an offensive stud but he will still be good for 10 ppg in my eyes. Jeff Green is a def rating of 100.2 and RAPM of 0 much more respectable but thats average at best, not elite. I don't see him stopping PG.
lol stop using RAPM like it's gospel. It's still largely a product of what is around you.

Matthews only gives up .69 PPP in isolation plays so yea, I'd say he's one of the best man to man defenders in the league. He's not Tony Allen or Sefolosha level but he's definitely in the tier after that. Plus is offense blows TA's outta the water.

Green gave up .73 PPP on iso plays as well, so they'll be able to guard George just fine. George is good all-around but don't boost like he's an elite scorer.

As for Lillard vs Lawson they are both bad defenders, but saying your guy is the better playmaker I don't think is true. There isn't really a stat that gauges that metric so we can just agree to disagree there. I personally feel they would be about even in this series.
What about the efficiency? don't just dodge it. Lawson clearly owns him there and Lillard is just a volume scorer at this point.

Lillard gave up 1.01 PPP on iso plays, he's ****ing horse dick on defense. Lawson will wipe his *** in the series. Lillard will have good games but Lawson will rip him apart throughout, and Lawson is a proven playoff performer.

If Scola is a bad defender, Ryan Anderson is a horrific one....I mean Scola is 105 def rating and Anderson is 110. Thats just bad. Scola has a decent midrange jumper too so he should be able to take advantage of Anderson on the other end. You can say Scola has gone to the bench this season, but Anderson has been riding the pine longer than Scola has.
sure Anderson doesn't defend but who cares if Scola is matched up with him? Are u gonna run offense through Luis Scola? I'd gladly take that because Scola sure as hell isn't beating me.

And LOL at using Def rating, the ultimate team stat. Don't use that to judge one player...that's not using the metric properly.

And Anderson is used as a 6th man because they have Anthony Davis...........he can easily start on several teams. Scola is on the bench because he's declining. He got benched on one of the most crappy teams last year...

You have Lawson who will get his Green who would have trouble against PG and then Ryan Anderson as your scorers. Thats it really. We have Bynum who might have trouble getting his, PG who should be fine and Lillard who will get his also. Scola should be able to hit the midrange jumper at will as well. I see our scorers having a higher potential for points with everything else aside
What? everyone on our lineup can go for 15+PPG on any given night plus Mo Williams, Sessions, Landry are all quality 6th men. Our team has WAY more balance than yours and won't struggle to score nearly as much.

Bynum will likely be injured, George will struggle at times as well as we have 2 good defenders for him and he isn't an efficient scorer anyways, Lillard I will concede but he'll get out-produced anyways by Lawson, Scola hitting mid-range shots all game? u wanna run your offense around him? ok :laugh2:

John Walls Era
10-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Bulls redraft should allow only former/current Bulls players.

Shammyguy3
10-19-2013, 08:12 PM
C'mon people, get those votes in!

Matter.
10-20-2013, 03:40 PM
Bump

Shammyguy3
10-20-2013, 11:00 PM
C'mon people, what are your thoughts on this series?!

Shammyguy3
10-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Seems there's a clear winner here, but there's still 7 hours left; anyone think Pittsburgh can pull off a come back?

Shammyguy3
10-21-2013, 08:27 PM
last bump for this matchup

bloomis1307
10-21-2013, 10:05 PM
Congrats Sadd

Shammyguy3
10-21-2013, 10:12 PM
a year from now bloomis you'd win this series with progression from Lillard/George and Bynum actually playing (hopefully)