PDA

View Full Version : NBA LIVE 14 Gameplay lol.

I Rock Shaqs
10-18-2013, 08:53 PM
Wow also not sure if this was already a thread but I just saw this and I can absolutely say THIS IS HILARIOUSLY TURRIBLE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rSuQPapKpg

MrfadeawayJB
10-18-2013, 11:15 PM
Looks bad but I hope people but it so 2k has competition

mdm692
10-18-2013, 11:20 PM
Looks bad but I hope people but it so 2k has competition

The only problem is 2k has no competition. 2k can put out the same game for the next 3-4 years and it will still be far superior than this joke Live keeps trying to put out.

Sadds The Gr8
10-18-2013, 11:22 PM
when the gameplay on a trailer looks garbage, you know the game sucks ***.

It's not even funny anymore...just sad. EA should just give up on Basketball.

JNA17
10-18-2013, 11:26 PM
The only problem is 2k has no competition. 2k can put out the same game for the next 3-4 years and it will still be far superior than this joke Live keeps trying to put out.

For the last three years or so, 2K HAS been basically making the same game every year. They haven't put any real effort into their 2K games since 2K11.

It's a shame Live 14 looks really bad here. I was really hoping Live 14 could show SOMETHING interesting either from a gameplay standpoint, visual, or features like my career, team, or what not. JUST SOMETHING! But...i got nothing.

As long as Live is still garbage, 2K will continue to be lazy. :(

JNA17
10-18-2013, 11:29 PM
when the gameplay on a trailer looks garbage, you know the game sucks ***.

It's not even funny anymore...just sad. EA should just give up on Basketball.

The only EA sports game I want EA to go back to is MVP Baseball. MVP Baseball 05 was amazing in so many levels!

Any baseball game that allows me to have my manager argue with the umpire about my own player's game winning home run and then get thrown out, is automatically legend

beasted86
10-18-2013, 11:37 PM
Wait, that looks hilariously bad? I'm pretty sure that's for PS3, and it looks pretty good to me. Not much further from the PS3 version of 2K14.

Now... the difference between the PS4 versions Live and 2K14 is much more noticeable. But still , both games look good.

Sadds The Gr8
10-18-2013, 11:38 PM
The only EA sports game I want EA to go back to is MVP Baseball. MVP Baseball 05 was amazing in so many levels!

Any baseball game that allows me to have my manager argue with the umpire about my own player's game winning home run and then get thrown out, is automatically legend

I don't mind Fifa. Madden always has flaws but I'm such a huge football fan that i play it alot anyways. But their basketball games are ****in horrible. The last good Live was like 10 years ago. Live 05 got hype because of the dunk contest but the gameplay in that was horrid.

DubbyDubbs
10-18-2013, 11:44 PM
Wait, that looks hilariously bad? I'm pretty sure that's for PS3, and it looks pretty good to me. Not much further from the PS3 version of 2K14.

Now... the difference between the PS4 versions Live and 2K14 is much more noticeable. But still , both games look good.

Considering NBA Live 14 has not/will not be made for PS3, Im going to say, Yes that looks horrible and yes that is the PS4 version, and no it does not compare visually at all to the Ps4 trailer for NBA 2k14

Hulk6
10-18-2013, 11:44 PM

MVP baseball 03 with tejada on the cover was my ****!!! greatest sports game of all time IMO, they need to bring it back since the show is becoming like 2K, no competition

Tmath
10-19-2013, 12:11 AM
I've given up on basketball games. 2K sucks and Live will probably suck too.

Clippersfan86
10-19-2013, 12:22 AM
Am I the only one who thinks it looks pretty good? Sure the graphics are meh.. but the dribble moves and signature shots>>>>>2K. It's idiotic to judge "gameplay" off a short trailer lolz. Never mind that trailers are usually footage made well before the finished product.

Tmath
10-19-2013, 12:27 AM
Am I the only one who thinks it looks pretty good? Sure the graphics are meh.. but the dribble moves and signature shots>>>>>2K. It's idiotic to judge "gameplay" off a short trailer lolz. Never mind that trailers are usually footage made well before the finished product.

I agree, I always thought LIVE gameplay was better.

2K graphics always looked better, but the gameplay is garbage.

mdm692
10-19-2013, 12:29 AM
For the last three years or so, 2K HAS been basically making the same game every year. They haven't put any real effort into their 2K games since 2K11.

It's a shame Live 14 looks really bad here. I was really hoping Live 14 could show SOMETHING interesting either from a gameplay standpoint, visual, or features like my career, team, or what not. JUST SOMETHING! But...i got nothing.

I know and it really sucks cause they can do much better than this. I really don't understand how EA still hasn't been able to give 2k a run for their money. I mean look at FIFA it's probably the best sports game out this year and PES is pretty damn good too which is why EA has to step up their game every year when it comes to soccer games. I really don't understand how the same concept can't be applied to Live. They've literally had 3-4 years of to analyze the exact same product from 2k yet they can't seem to top it WTF. I don't blame 2k for not putting out something better when they know they're going to sell regardless due to the lack of competition.

Clippersfan86
10-19-2013, 12:33 AM
I agree, I always thought LIVE gameplay was better.

2K graphics always looked better, but the gameplay is garbage.

Yup. 2K is a better simulator and looks better but Live was always more fun for me. Like I remember specifically in 2009 that 2K9 was rated the best basketball game of all time but something always brought me back to Live 09, so I played that one much more, can't really explain it.

bgdreton
10-19-2013, 12:41 AM

How are you saying the dribble moves and signature shots are better off a 30 second trailer? You saw like three people shoot and like four people dribble. I mean that's just as idiotic as saying the gameplay sucks...

Clippersfan86
10-19-2013, 12:44 AM
How are you saying the dribble moves and signature shots are better off a 30 second trailer? You saw like three people shoot and like four people dribble. I mean that's just as idiotic as saying the gameplay sucks...

Yes and the fluidity and realism of the dribbles+shots were better to me. I don't think that's as big of a reach as judging the overall gameplay.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-19-2013, 01:59 AM
lol players look like robots

John Walls Era
10-19-2013, 04:17 AM
NBA 2k for the next gen looks ridiculously good. This is crap.

jerellh528
10-19-2013, 04:50 AM
lol wtf is that gameplay on the nintendo ds?

UPRock
10-19-2013, 05:32 AM
lol wtf is that gameplay on the nintendo ds?

LMFAO I was going to say the same thing.

Denver-boy
10-19-2013, 06:28 AM

Its a matter of opinion, but I love 2k's Gameplay! I was born a NBA JAM fan, considering it was the first NBA game I Played when I was younger, The first game I bought, was NBA LIVE 07, with tracy mcgrady on the cover, that game was SICK, I still miss the shoot around menu. even Allstar weekend in that game is better than current all star weekend in my opinion. So I kinda was huge with EA back in the day, but now looking at today, its not even close. 2K not just looks better, but feels better, it captures the feel of the game, I mean 2013 2K, had me speechless, cuz i never said that dude moves and dunks like lebron. I guess it made a impact that authenticity of the experience you get from 2K is out of this world compared to other sport games, not just EA. Even tho I think 2K is way better than Live, I love that their is competition and fans of each company. Cuz Really its good for both fan bases. I wanna see Live step it game up, its defiantly wont be this year. but maybe in 3-4 years who knows. the only thing I can compliment from the trailer is the dribbling mechanics could be fun, but thats going off nothing more than that all I know Ea is good at. I heard some conference of them trying to make that more in depth and complex. but is a joke side by side comparison to next gen trailers.... 2K is truley the best game for next gen... overall. its only game that got everyone excited about Xbox one and Ps4...graphically that **** looks REAL.

tmacsc2
10-19-2013, 06:42 AM

I was gonna say. For gameplay it doesn't look to bad. The net didn't look all that great but that looks exactly like gameplay from 2k14

tmacsc2
10-19-2013, 06:47 AM
I think the freaking recognition in 2k is horrible! If a computer does a cut move to the hoop you can't stop it cause your guy can't do the opposite defensive move to counter it. Also passes go through players all the time and the whole dribble into a defender and stumble away for 3 or 4 seconds is just terrible.

Live 00-05 (skip 06) 07 way better than any 2k game. Keep it in retrospect.

All the EA 2005 sports games are the greatest sports games ever!

JOhnnyTHaJet
10-19-2013, 07:26 AM
Why does every player look like they have giraffe necks and 7 foot wings spans? It's so awkward.

GiantsSwaGG
10-19-2013, 08:23 AM
Kyrie Irving look like a crackhead bum they pulled off the street and threw a jersey on him

Stunner
10-19-2013, 10:02 AM
2k gameplay isn't bad at all , it's just Live is controls are mad simple and gameplay is unrealistic . So I don't see how you can say it's better .

Stunner
10-19-2013, 10:03 AM
2k11 and 14 are the best 2ks and Live 10 , 05 and 03 are the best Lives .

Clippersfan86
10-19-2013, 10:08 AM
2K has become a waste of money. Why the,**** should I pay 60 a year for gameplay tweaks. They have become complacent and that's why I skipped 2K this year on opening night for the first time in years. Live may look ugly but if they bring good modes, ill buy it. Tired of My Player/career being exactly the same yearly. So much potential in that mode.

jrm2054
10-19-2013, 10:12 AM
Live did a ton of motion capture for the dribbling. Live will be ok this year and get better it seems everyone is going crazy over 2ks graphics so much the crap controls and same gamemodes for 3 years doesn't matter.

RipCity32
10-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Looks terrible compared to the next gen 2k14.

raiderfaninTX
10-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Looks terrible compared to the next gen 2k14.

play is what matters not look, at least they showed some dribbling instead of cuts of only dunks and one block by lebron.

To be honest you think your going to get these close up camera angles when playing the games, maybe in replays. It's going to be the same camera angle it has been the last 10 years zoomed out

Stunner
10-19-2013, 11:35 AM
play is what matters not look, at least they showed some dribbling instead of cuts of only dunks and one block by lebron.

To be honest you think your going to get these close up camera angles when playing the games, maybe in replays. It's going to be the same camera angle it has been the last 10 years zoomed out
Give it a rest lol Live is done , they just announced again this Live is the foundation in their 3rd Third year plan lol . Game could have been realeased on PS3 this isn't next gen worthy . Let's not kid ourselves most of us in the 1st year of new systems buy games on looks . If we wanted solid gameplay we stick with the current gen . With that said Live still showing the flaws that keeps the game from being realistic , no physics shown at all when George spun thru the lane untouched , Rose made a crosser driving full speed just to slow down do a hop step backwards and do a weird dunk . The rim is way too big and all the players are hunched for no reason . The dribbling is the only thing that looked good but you can only do the moves while standing in place which is dumb . 2k already stated that the next gen won't be a port over . A whole new game really , love just doesn't look like a 60 dollar game .

Clippersfan86
10-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Live did a ton of motion capture for the dribbling. Live will be ok this year and get better it seems everyone is going crazy over 2ks graphics so much the crap controls and same gamemodes for 3 years doesn't matter.

Agreed. 2K has become a bore. Very little changing.

beasted86
10-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Both games look just fine to me. I think some of you guys' expectations are out of whack.

Reminds me of the clowns who bicker over whether cars in Forza 4 or GT5 look more realistic. They both look just fine to me.

Ese Vato Loco
10-19-2013, 01:49 PM
I've given up on basketball games. 2K sucks and Live will probably suck too.

you suck bro. I would too.

I Rock Shaqs
10-19-2013, 02:23 PM

You would think it was PS3 but Live 14 is only on next gen.

I Rock Shaqs
10-19-2013, 02:26 PM

Did you watch any of the trailer minus the dribbling, Live guys are grasping for straws the defense looks embarrassingly bad and the faces of the players look awful, they move like robots and trust me game play is not the only thing that matters.

mdm692
10-19-2013, 07:00 PM
Give it a rest lol Live is done , they just announced again this Live is the foundation in their 3rd Third year plan lol . Game could have been realeased on PS3 this isn't next gen worthy . Let's not kid ourselves most of us in the 1st year of new systems buy games on looks . If we wanted solid gameplay we stick with the current gen . With that said Live still showing the flaws that keeps the game from being realistic , no physics shown at all when George spun thru the lane untouched , Rose made a crosser driving full speed just to slow down do a hop step backwards and do a weird dunk . The rim is way too big and all the players are hunched for no reason . The dribbling is the only thing that looked good but you can only do the moves while standing in place which is dumb . 2k already stated that the next gen won't be a port over . A whole new game really , love just doesn't look like a 60 dollar game .

Basically this. Close thread. Some people here don't understand the way the business works. I'm no genius or anything but for the millionth time WHY IS 2k GOING TO IMPROVE THE GAME EACH YEAR WHEN IT HAS NO COMPETITION AT ALL. NONE, ZIP, ZERO, NADA!!! Currently 2k is the same game that forced Live to stop making basketball games a few years ago. EA had all this time to improve or at least get on par with the exact same game that killed their basketball franchise and it's still pretty bad compared to what 2k has done, which is literally nothing. The same upset fans that complain about 2k being the same for the past 2-3 years will still buy 2k for the simple fact that Live is a joke. 2k will not improve until another basketball game gives it a run for it's money. Look at what EA did with FIFA. EA has been forced to improve that game every year, which they have done, due to the success of PES. Live isn't close to 2k and from what I've been reading and hearing the next gen 2k is going to embarrass Live again. This is simply pathetic for EA standards.

Clippersfan86
10-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Terrible logic. You're defending 2K's stagnation due to a lack of competition which is idiotic as a customer. That's how a very casual gamer with no knowledge of the gaming industry talks. That's exactly WHY you SHOULDN'T support 2K. Instead of pushing the ball the last 3 years 2K makes small gameplay tweaks and you idiotically keep spending 60 for practically the same game every year lol. As for the graphics difference... 2K14 next gen isn't much better than current. Anybody who's gamed long enough knows that the end of one gen is usually similar to the beginning cycle of a new one. This is because one,gen has learned to optimize to full potential, while the other is still learning how to utilize new hardware.

Sure Live's graphics are noticably worse, but they have been since the original NBA 2K, which I owned on Dreamcast BTW. Live's appeal has always been about the flashy game play, less repetitive modes and more fun, better online play, loose environment to me. See I've been buying both opening night for over a decade. I buy 2K for realism, graphics and detail... And Live for more online stability and support, more fun and a more flashy playstyle. 2K has been superior most years but for some reason I found myself playing Live more outside of 2K, 2K1, 2K9 and 2K11 which were classics.

I will not give another cent to 2K until they start listening to fans again and doing more than a roster update and a couple small tweaks every year (last 3 years). This is why a lack of competition is terrible in the gaming industry.

mdm692
10-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Terrible logic. You're defending 2K's stagnation due to a lack of competition which is idiotic as a customer. That's how a very casual gamer with no knowledge of the gaming industry talks. That's exactly WHY you SHOULDN'T support 2K. Instead of pushing the ball the last 3 years 2K makes small gameplay tweaks and you idiotically keep spending 60 for practically the same game every year lol. As for the graphics difference... 2K14 next gen isn't much better than current. Anybody who's gamed long enough knows that the end of one gen is usually similar to the beginning cycle of a new one. This is because one,gen has learned to optimize to full potential, while the other is still learning how to utilize new hardware.

Sure Live's graphics are noticably worse, but they have been since the original NBA 2K, which I owned on Dreamcast BTW. Live's appeal has always been about the flashy game play, less repetitive modes and more fun, better online play, loose environment to me. See I've been buying both opening night for over a decade. I buy 2K for realism, graphics and detail... And Live for more online stability and support, more fun and a more flashy playstyle. 2K has been superior most years but for some reason I found myself playing Live more outside of 2K, 2K1, 2K9 and 2K11 which were classics.

I will not give another cent to 2K until they start listening to fans again and doing more than a roster update and a couple small tweaks every year (last 3 years). This is why a lack of competition is terrible in the gaming industry.

Not once did I defend 2k in my post. All I did was point out the obvious business aspect which is true regardless of your opinion on it. #'s and facts tell the truth not opinions. Fact is 2k has been selling games and Live hasn't. As a matter of fact 2k13 set the franchise record in sales and they had to do no significant improvements. So while you have your opinion and Live is indeed a "fun" game, but not realistic, the #'s over support my post. You can try to go that route about not giving a cent to 2k but fact of the matter is they won't be hurting for money when they're selling millions of copies worldwide. 2k is the superior game in a time that sees NBA expanding it's popularity to a worldwide scale so even if a few thousand fans decide to not buy the game 2k will make that money up by putting teams like Real Madrid and Barcelona, among others, in the game. Like I said I'm no genius or video game expert but currently Live has a lot of ground to make up in order to even stay relevant. I expect Live to fade away in 2015, unless they have a major breakthrough, and then try to make another come back in 2017-18.

GiantsSwaGG
10-20-2013, 09:51 AM
The one thing I hate about 2k is that the network seems to shutdown 2 mins into the gameplay

Kashmir13579
10-20-2013, 11:12 AM
This will be awful but 2K is garbage this year too.

Stunner
10-20-2013, 11:16 AM
This will be awful but 2K is garbage this year too.
How do you know ? The game isn't even released and they already said it won't be the same game . Plus 2k14 isn't even that bad , yes it's not perfect but it's arguably the best or 2nd best basketball game gameplay wise offline .

Kashmir13579
10-20-2013, 11:16 AM
2k11 and 14 are the best 2ks and Live 10 , 05 and 03 are the best Lives .

lol

Kashmir13579
10-20-2013, 11:23 AM
How do you know ? The game isn't even released and they already said it won't be the same game . Plus 2k14 isn't even that bad , yes it's not perfect but it's arguably the best or 2nd best basketball game gameplay wise offline .

I played nba live up till 2005, and every 2k since 2001. Live sucks and has since roughly 2003, thats how i know this will suck. Did you even watch the video?

2K seems to put out a good game every other year. 2K9/2K11/2K13 were all better.

Stunner
10-20-2013, 11:23 AM
lol
It is don't be bias , of course online users will prob hate the game because people cheese and all they want to do is shoot threes . But the defense is better than the last two years , the contact between the players are there , passing and rebounding has improved some . Like I said there needs to be some improvement in how the AI reacts but that's due to tinkering with your defensive settings and being a real coach . You actually have yo play defense this year none of that forcing your way into the paint . Offline this game is good , 2k11 , 14 , 7 and 9 are the top 4 2ks for me . Believe it or not each 2k brought something different 2k11 the Jordan Challange , 2k12 brought the legend mode , 2k13 brought more the the MyPlayer mode and 2k14 is 2k11's and 13's baby .

Stunner
10-20-2013, 11:27 AM
I played nba live up till 2005, and every 2k since 2001. Live sucks and has since roughly 2003, thats how i know this will suck. Did you even watch the video?

2K seems to put out a good game every other year. 2K9/2K11/2K13 were all better.

No 2k13 was bad and is not better than 14 . There was no defense in 2k13 whatsoever . 2k11 is the only game that has an argument in being better than 14 and wins beacause of the Jordan Challange and the Crew mode being an actually crew mode .

Clippersfan86
10-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Small graphics and physics tweaks and roster update is definitely worth 60 every year! Lol. Ill stick with my 2k11 and 2k13.

Stunner
10-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Small graphics and physics tweaks and roster update is definitely worth 60 every year! Lol. Ill stick with my 2k11 and 2k13.

Yea you haven't played 2k14 , gameplay is better than both of those games , if you're looking for graphics difference in year 8 of current gen then shame on you . Many have said " it looks the same , I'm not buying it " then they play it and be like " this game is better than 2k13 " plus the fact you can't go online anymore on those other two titles if you aren't a big roster maker will tempt people more to purchase 2k14 . But it's your money

GiantsSwaGG
10-20-2013, 05:11 PM

:facepalm: you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

GiantsSwaGG
10-20-2013, 05:13 PM
The glitches in 2k14 might be the worse I've every seen. I get sooo many attempted blocks even when the player doesn't have the ball

Clippersfan86
10-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Yea you haven't played 2k14 , gameplay is better than both of those games , if you're looking for graphics difference in year 8 of current gen then shame on you . Many have said " it looks the same , I'm not buying it " then they play it and be like " this game is better than 2k13 " plus the fact you can't go online anymore on those other two titles if you aren't a big roster maker will tempt people more to purchase 2k14 . But it's your money

Where did I say I haven't PLAYED it? I said I haven't BOUGHT it and nevr will. Point is it's idiotic for ANYBODY to pay 60 every year for small tweaks. My Player mode has MASSIVE potential and yet has been neglected for 3 years. Then you have modes they add every year to suck you in, only to remove them the next year (online leagues, FIBA teams, Dream team etc). Bottom line is 2K has become lazy and complacent.

Blitzace137
10-20-2013, 06:35 PM
2k9 online play was amazing with the weekly leaderboards. Graphics got better but online gameplay is too simple now in 2K. No new game modes, my career is exactly the same **** even the endorsements are the same lol, can't blame 2k for having no competition. I'm trading my PS3 one once I get the PS4 I'm hoping it's more than just better graphics.

Live 05 was a classic the one with Melo in the front cover. The Dunk Contest was always better in Live but live hasn't done anything innovative since 05.

Blitzace137
10-20-2013, 06:38 PM
The glitches in 2k14 might be the worse I've every seen. I get sooo many attempted blocks even when the player doesn't have the ball

They over emphasized on blocking this year. PG's can block Centers any time. There's no balance.

Clippersfan86
10-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Last few posts prove my point. It's like playing that hammer/gopher game. 2K hammers down one problem, another big glitch/problem emerges every year. They are showing no desire to improve the game on a deeper level but have rather become stagnant.

1-800-STFU
10-20-2013, 06:45 PM

When you only have 1 year to make changes you cant expect a new game every year. Most current gen games spend 2-3+ years in development.

Clippersfan86
10-20-2013, 06:55 PM
When you only have 1 year to make changes you cant expect a new game every year. Most current gen games spend 2-3+ years in development.

Not true one bit for sports titles. All they have to do is build off of an already established title and add to it, fix glitches. For example the MASSIVE upcoming RPG for next year Dragon Age Inquisition took just 3 years to develop which is considered a long time in nowadays gaming industry.

I'm not expecting a new game every year but rather more effort into keeping it fresh while at the same time improving all the modes.

1. I shouldn't have to wait all year for improvement in defensive AI for example. Release it throughout the year in patches to paying customers.

2. I do roster updates myself, realistically and constantly so that aspect of a new game every year is worthless to me.

3. Small graphics upgrade that I won't notice after a day or two does nothing for me.

Now I'll give you some huge problems I have with 2K the last 3 years.

1. Zero effort into My Player/My Career which has HUGE potential as a mode. Do what "NBA" titled games did a few years ago where they add a storyline element where you can choose your path more and have to come out of the ghetto or something. Remove that mother fu**ing same voice and give some choices! Add ability to pick All shoe makers instead of the BS forcing you into Jordan or Nike. Add many, many more lines of dialect for post game interviews, GM interviews. Fix all the God damn glitches like the reporters are looking like twins etc. Make it to where you can sim how much or little you want on the schedule. If I was the producer working for 2K right now I'd have this mode fixed in a year, it's really not rocket science.

2. Every year they add something amazing like International teams, Dream team, Online teams etc.. they remove it the very next year why? Because the only purpose of it to begin with was to fool fans into thinking this was a new, long term, big change.

3. There continues to be simple to fix yet EXTREMELY annoying glitches. Getting blocked when a defender had nowhere near the position to get to you, getting a pass stolen when the defender is facing the wrong way and definitely out of position. Hands going through the rim or backboard. Things like this can be patched VERY easily. 2K has a fair sized team, this isn't as hard as it seems. If you're a long time gamer like me you'll know this.

I don't expect a new game... I expect them to do more than a tiny bit of tweaking and a roster update every year.

1-800-STFU
10-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Not true one bit for sports titles. All they have to do is build off of an already established title and add to it, fix glitches. For example the MASSIVE upcoming RPG for next year Dragon Age Inquisition took just 3 years to develop which is considered a long time in nowadays gaming industry.

I'm not expecting a new game every year but rather more effort into keeping it fresh while at the same time improving all the modes.

1. I shouldn't have to wait all year for improvement in defensive AI for example. Release it throughout the year in patches to paying customers.

2. I do roster updates myself, realistically and constantly so that aspect of a new game every year is worthless to me.

3. Small graphics upgrade that I won't notice after a day or two does nothing for me.

Now I'll give you some huge problems I have with 2K the last 3 years.

1. Zero effort into My Player/My Career which has HUGE potential as a mode. Do what "NBA" titled games did a few years ago where they add a storyline element where you can choose your path more and have to come out of the ghetto or something. Remove that mother fu**ing same voice and give some choices! Add ability to pick All shoe makers instead of the BS forcing you into Jordan or Nike. Add many, many more lines of dialect for post game interviews, GM interviews. Fix all the God damn glitches like the reporters are looking like twins etc. Make it to where you can sim how much or little you want on the schedule. If I was the producer working for 2K right now I'd have this mode fixed in a year, it's really not rocket science.

2. Every year they add something amazing like International teams, Dream team, Online teams etc.. they remove it the very next year why? Because the only purpose of it to begin with was to fool fans into thinking this was a new, long term, big change.

3. There continues to be simple to fix yet EXTREMELY annoying glitches. Getting blocked when a defender had nowhere near the position to get to you, getting a pass stolen when the defender is facing the wrong way and definitely out of position. Hands going through the rim or backboard. Things like this can be patched VERY easily. 2K has a fair sized team, this isn't as hard as it seems. If you're a long time gamer like me you'll know this.

I don't expect a new game... I expect them to do more than a tiny bit of tweaking and a roster update every year.

I never disagreed with the fact it could be improved more, but you have to consider why 2k would allocate such resources to a product that will sell no matter what since it has a monopoly on the market. If there is no ROI in it large gaming companies wont put the resources needed into it to make such changes. Hopefully Live returning (as ****** as it is) we see a little more effort put into it since there is a possibility they are going to lose market share now.

You mention Dragon Age....why do you think they are attempting to make such large strides? It's because that brand is DEAD if they don't produce an amazing game because of the awful rep DA2 gave that series.

Most producers nowadays are just puppets of corporate suits and focus groups worried about market share/ROI and not quality. If 2k wanted to I'm sure they would hire a bunch of people to fix things up quickly, but if you dont see a return on that labor why should they?

This is looking at it from 2k's prospective...I 100% agree the strides they have been taking each year are smaller and smaller and they're just adding gimmick modes.

GiantsSwaGG
10-20-2013, 07:32 PM
They over emphasized on blocking this year. PG's can block Centers any time. There's no balance.

I just block Noah shot with Seth Curry just now, and foul out with him because he attempted to block almost everyone who had the ball. It's pathetic

Clippersfan86
10-20-2013, 07:33 PM
I agree with your post and from the 2K perspective that is exactly why they do it. Although as a long time paying customer... who has bought 2K opening night for over a decade, do you see why I'd be fed up and critical?

Linkels
10-20-2013, 10:26 PM
Yup. 2K is a better simulator and looks better but Live was always more fun for me. Like I remember specifically in 2009 that 2K9 was rated the best basketball game of all time but something always brought me back to Live 09, so I played that one much more, can't really explain it.

I think the same way, and don't buy a game based on graphics or go buy a PC then for gaming. Nothing was better than Live 09 and 10 online teamplay

Stunner
10-20-2013, 11:02 PM

Explain because 2k10 is actually the most glitches 2k

Stunner
10-20-2013, 11:04 PM
:facepalm: you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

With the right Roster and slider tweaks it actually is for " offline " players . Online is still a problem

Stunner
10-20-2013, 11:08 PM
Not here to change anyone's mind but I've always enjoyed my 2k because I've made the proper changes to allow me to have realistic gameplay and fun . Idk about you guys but I stay on operation sports chatting it up talking about the game . Their knowledge of the game is more trustworthy than what I would take from here no offense . Some of those guy dig deep into the game real Sim heads .

Chronz
10-20-2013, 11:52 PM

The same game really?

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 12:25 AM
Yes the same game roughly with added tweaks here and there. Added feature, they then remove the next year. Not much has changed, at least to a large degree in the last 3 years. I flip between 2k11 and 2k13 and notice no real changes that affect me really.

aTinyPanda
10-21-2013, 11:50 AM
lmao at all these people saying 2k is the same game year to year. They make one or two major game control changes every year (dribble stick, back to the basket before that, etc..), a throw in game mode (Jordan Challenge, Lebron stuff, Legends games), try to refine one portion of the game play, refine the textures, update facial captures and add all the rookies, and add new animations (both generic and personal) to the already insanely deep collection of unique player animations. How much more do you expect a company to accomplish in a year-to-year development cycle? Now I haven't played 2k14 yet so I won't comment on that.. but people are obviously forgetting or choosing to overlook the fact that 2K put less attention into the PS3/360 version of 2K14 this year to focus on a complete next-gen rebuild, as they've said themselves several times. And to all you folks saying that the controls and game play for 2k games sucks or isn't "fun".. I've got two suggestions for you: 1. Take some time to actually learn the control system and relate it to how basketball is played in real life . 2. Acquaint yourself with the game sliders... they're there for you to make the game as arcadey (LIVE) or sim (2k) as you choose.

The fact that people are trying to say Live 14 doesn't look that bad and the game play looks good for a NEXT GEN game is pretty laughable. Graphics aside, the player movement is rigid and ridiculous looking. I don't get how anyone can look at that trailer and say it's comparable to the next gen 2k14 trailer. I wish EA would step their game up so we could get competition in the basketball game world (competition is never a bad thing obv) but for the time being it's obvious EA is touching 2K on this front.

aTinyPanda
10-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Yes the same game roughly with added tweaks here and there. Added feature, they then remove the next year. Not much has changed, at least to a large degree in the last 3 years. I flip between 2k11 and 2k13 and notice no real changes that affect me really.

The dribble stick and shot control within that construct is entirely different, not to mention a few other control changes that happened from 2k11 to 2k13. I get thrown off for the first game or two when switching from 2k12 to 2k13 at times (I'm a right stick shooter, so that's probably why). I think you're minimizing how much those minor control changes can have an effect on the way you play.. and the way the game plays out.

MonroeFAN
10-21-2013, 12:01 PM

and yet, they're not?

Why do people continue to say this? 2k is drastically different this year than any other. The gameplay changes every year. What are they supposed to do differently? Change the rules of Basketball?

With all due respect, people who don't think this game is drastically different than last years either A) suck at it and use x to shoot or B) have played it once

It's really crappy that people are giving 2k a bad name here, when they clearly don't know what they're talking about.

aTinyPanda
10-21-2013, 12:06 PM
and yet, they're not?

Why do people continue to say this? 2k is drastically different this year than any other. The gameplay changes every year. What are they supposed to do differently? Change the rules of Basketball?

With all due respect, people who don't think this game is drastically different than last years either A) suck at it and use x to shoot or B) have played it once

It's really crappy that people are giving 2k a bad name here, when they clearly don't know what they're talking about.

I think that's what we're seeing a lot of in here. Without sounding like a douche... casual 2k players.

MonroeFAN
10-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Cool MF avatar

aTinyPanda
10-21-2013, 12:30 PM
Cool MF avatar

Slip like Freudian.. you're first and last step to playin' yourself like accordion

:clap:

Chronz
10-21-2013, 12:52 PM

You must not play in the post as it is revamped every year, they change alot of the aspects I master in 1 game. Its why every year I start off something like 5-15 and then go on a 200-50 tear or something.

Seems like you guys are arguing about peripheral changes, the overall game might be very similar but the gameplay is always being upgraded, not sure what you guys are expecting when it comes to that.

Chronz
10-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Also I cosign this quote:

If you still use X to shoot, gtfo

Ill add something else to it too, if you still have trouble passing it to the player you intended then stop using A to pass, learn how to master the art of icon passing and directing offensive sets. I've literally never used to hallow complaint "the pass went to the wrong person" lmfao.

The dribble stick and shot control within that construct is entirely different, not to mention a few other control changes that happened from 2k11 to 2k13. I get thrown off for the first game or two when switching from 2k12 to 2k13 at times (I'm a right stick shooter, so that's probably why). I think you're minimizing how much those minor control changes can have an effect on the way you play.. and the way the game plays out.
I have a tradition before every new release, I retire the last one and then try to play the prior versions, its like night and day when it comes to isomotion combos but the biggest changes come in the post. I always master the post play in every game, but going back to an older system after adapting to another is really hard, I look like a damn newb in the post even tho its a game I dominated years ago.

Kashmir13579
10-21-2013, 12:58 PM
2k9 online play was amazing with the weekly leaderboards. Graphics got better but online gameplay is too simple now in 2K. No new game modes, my career is exactly the same **** even the endorsements are the same lol, can't blame 2k for having no competition. I'm trading my PS3 one once I get the PS4 I'm hoping it's more than just better graphics.

Live 05 was a classic the one with Melo in the front cover. The Dunk Contest was always better in Live but live hasn't done anything innovative since 05.

I was a MONSTER in that game. T-mac's pull-up jumper was so ****ing money.

benzni
game of the year

NYKnickFanatic
People that say 2K is the same every year, are probably the ones who play it once or twice a week.

NYKnickFanatic
10-21-2013, 01:01 PM

Ill add something else to it too, if you still have trouble passing it to the player you intended then stop using A to pass, learn how to master the art of icon passing and directing offensive sets. I've literally never used to hallow complaint "the pass went to the wrong person" lmfao.

I have a tradition before every new release, I retire the last one and then try to play the prior versions, its like night and day when it comes to isomotion combos but the biggest changes come in the post. I always master the post play in every game, but going back to an older system after adapting to another is really hard, I look like a damn newb in the post even tho its a game I dominated years ago.

:laugh2:

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 01:02 PM
I don't like the new control scheme (many don't) so why would I consider that a big plus? I have used shot sticks since they were released, I had zero issue picking up the new format. I'm the last guy to call a casual player considering I've stood in lines at midnight the last decade at EB Games/Gamestop to pick up a copy and called off the next day of work so I could play all day. Anybody accusing me of being a casual player on 2K as to why I'm criticizing is dead wrong.

I've been playing this game since the first one with Iverson on the cover... for my Dreamcast.

NYKnickFanatic
10-21-2013, 01:04 PM
I don't like the new control scheme (many don't) so why would I consider that a big plus? I have used shot sticks since they were released, I had zero issue picking up the new format. I'm the last guy to call a casual player considering I've stood in lines at midnight the last decade at EB Games/Gamestop to pick up a copy and called off the next day of work so I could play all day. Anybody accusing me of being a casual player on 2K as to why I'm criticizing is dead wrong.

I've been playing this game since the first one with Iverson on the cover... for my Dreamcast.

Classic!

ChiSox219
10-21-2013, 01:04 PM
I'm really happy with 2k14 after being relatively disappointed with 2k13. To say they are the same game + roster update is just not true, you probably need to get into an NBA Jam type game if one exists. I get that the kids want to pretend they have an NBA career and a lack of myplayer improvement is heartbreaking but online play is way more important.

1-800-STFU
10-21-2013, 01:05 PM

I've played since 2k5 and I've always used X to shoot jumpshots but the stick for layups/drives. I find jumpshots way easier to time using X.

Chronz
10-21-2013, 01:06 PM
I don't like the new control scheme (many don't) so why would I consider that a big plus?
Thats why they allow you to alter the controls but so long as you use advanced controls then its all good.

I have used shot sticks since they were released, I had zero issue picking up the new format. I'm the last guy to call a casual player considering I've stood in lines at midnight the last decade at EB Games/Gamestop to pick up a copy and called off the next day of work so I could play all day. Anybody accusing me of being a casual player on 2K as to why I'm criticizing is dead wrong.
Sounds like your lying, there are lines for 2K in your universe?

I bought a dreamcast like 3 years ago just to play those.

What do you have it for now, I want to see how you play.

aTinyPanda
10-21-2013, 01:06 PM

Yeah but just because you don't like a change that was made and dislike having to get used to it.. doesn't mean it wasn't a good change for a lot of other people. And to my point to begin with: If there are changes to the control scheme that you don't like... doesn't that mean there had to be significant changes to begin with? Wouldn't that suggest that they ARE actually changing things year to year, contrary to what you were originally trying to say?

1-800-STFU
10-21-2013, 01:07 PM
and yet, they're not?

They have had minor gameplay changes from year to year but they keep swapping in and out gimmick modes instead of really focusing on the core of a sport game and perfecting the physics engine/gameplay.

Chronz
I've played since 2k5 and I've always used X to shoot jumpshots but the stick for layups drives. I find jumpshots way easier to time using X.

Thats understandable. The drives are where it comes into play, I've seen kids complain about animations on their layups being the reason they miss when in reality its a result of them choosing the wrong animation.

NYKnickFanatic
I'm really happy with 2k14 after being relatively disappointed with 2k13. To say they are the same game + roster update is just not true, you probably need to get into an NBA Jam type game if one exists. I get that to all the kids want to pretend they have an NBA career and a lack of myplayer improvement is heartbreaking but online play is way more important.

Agreed. I get bored playing My Player and Association and whatever other stuff there is, but online is the most fun. Playing against friends and randoms, that's why I play 2K.

Chronz
10-21-2013, 01:08 PM
Yeah but just because you don't like a change that was made and dislike having to get used to it.. doesn't mean it wasn't a good change for a lot of other people. And to my point to begin with: If there are changes to the control scheme that you don't like... doesn't that mean there had to be significant changes to begin with? Wouldn't that suggest that they ARE actually changing things year to year, contrary to what you were originally trying to say?

bingo. I want to see if hes mastered the game as he suggests.

Chronz
10-21-2013, 01:09 PM
I was a MONSTER in that game. T-mac's pull-up jumper was so ****ing money.

So was Yao at defending the 3pt line. I remember he was the biggest cheat in the game, 7"6 dude that could lunge at you from an eternity away.

Chronz
10-21-2013, 01:10 PM

Good point, it was so drastic of a change for me, that I refused to adapt to it. I just kept the old isomotion controls because passing has never been an issue for me.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Thats why they allow you to alter the controls but so long as you use advanced controls then its all good.

Sounds like your lying, there are lines for 2K in your universe?

I bought a dreamcast like 3 years ago just to play those.

What do you have it for now, I want to see how you play.

It just so happened to work out that 2K gets released the same night as other games too such as COD once or twice in recent years, so maybe that's why they do midnight, not sure. So I'll go to Gamestop an hour or two before midnight and they usually have raffles and pizza lol. Dreamcast is my favorite system of all time man, enjoy it. Best part about it is... you can burn games for it and pretty much own any game ever made.

Right now I have 2K11, 2K13 for PS3, unfortunately lost Dreamcast in my last move couple years back. BTW I do love the post game improvements every year. In fact that's probably the ONLY thing that's stood out to me as a huge leap. I usually make C's and PF's now because of it.

aTinyPanda
10-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Thats understandable. The drives are where it comes into play, I've seen kids complain about animations on their layups being the reason they miss when in reality its a result of them choosing the wrong animation.

lmao I have a buddy that I always play with for money (we do a full NBA playoffs, $5 a game plus several other bonuses [series win, individual stats, team stats, etc..]) and he always *****es when guys do that wonky fall away from the basket with one hand layup from underneath the basket. Surprise surprise... he uses X to shoot. I've been telling him for years he needs to cut that **** out but he just refuses to listen.

aTinyPanda
10-21-2013, 01:13 PM
It just so happened to work out that 2K gets released the same night as other games too such as COD once or twice in recent years, so maybe that's why they do midnight, not sure. So I'll go to Gamestop an hour or two before midnight and they usually have raffles and pizza lol. Dreamcast is my favorite system of all time man, enjoy it. Best part about it is... you can burn games for it and pretty much own any game ever made.

Right now I have 2K11, 2K13 for PS3, unfortunately lost Dreamcast in my last move couple years back. BTW I do love the post game improvements every year. In fact that's probably the ONLY thing that's stood out to me as a huge leap. I usually make C's and PF's now because of it.

I personally thought the iso-stick change was huge and an awesome improvement once you got used to it. At first I absolutely hated it when compared to the old LT+LS combo... but now I love it.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 01:16 PM
Panda I said I don't consider the control scheme a plus as in over last year 2K13 really but never said it was a big sticking point to why I don't feel 2K14 is worth buying. I already said why I won't buy 2K for the first time in a decade on the last page. I'm an offline player predominantly so I'm stuck with Association and My Player and you can probably understand why I get so bored and the game gets stale.

Maybe for those of you who do predominantly online, for the very rare times the servers are working right.. the game is more amazing. I rare lose when I play against people online and have been in a few online association leagues now. Thing is the way the game works right now... you're almost forced to cheese online and shoot 100 threes and switch off your man to let CPU defend etc, because of either lag or the mechanics of defense.

Last year for 2K13 the big hype I saw was finally you can play defense etc... and now I'm supposed to believe 2K14 finally got it right? In the gaming section 2K thread the biggest complaint was actually how overpowered shotblocking was now and how the D was still imbalanced.

1-800-STFU
10-21-2013, 01:16 PM
Agreed. I get bored playing My Player and Association and whatever other stuff there is, but online is the most fun. Playing against friends and randoms, that's why I play 2K.

I really only play sports games for the 1v1 competition. In this day and age latency issues should not exist in online play. 2k isn't a mickey mouse small-time operation anymore, and I've heard there are significant issues regarding that.

I haven't bought it yet as I'm waiting on ps4 so this is just hearsay from me.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 01:18 PM
I personally thought the iso-stick change was huge and an awesome improvement once you got used to it. At first I absolutely hated it when compared to the old LT+LS combo... but now I love it.

Yea the sticks with more consistent play, I'm sure would get more enjoyable. As I said though that was just one of the smaller things I was resistant to. It's mostly feeling like for some tweaks and roster updates I'm paying 60 every single year, while they neglect my two favorite and most used modes which are My Player/Career and Offline Association.

Kashmir13579
10-21-2013, 01:19 PM

I second that. That system was a victim of poor timing.

Kashmir13579
10-21-2013, 01:21 PM
So was Yao at defending the 3pt line. I remember he was the biggest cheat in the game, 7"6 dude that could lunge at you from an eternity away.

I don't remember that, but i do remember that if he got the ball anywhere in the paint is was an automatic bucket lol

Plus when he got tired you had Mutumbo off the bench.. That team was incredibly fun to use.

Chronz
10-21-2013, 01:22 PM

I blew money for the sake of blowing money, the system never gets played but Im sure I will bring it out if I ever get my dream house and an arcade room to go with it. Right now its in the man cave "the garage". It was a cult classic from what I gather tho.

I dont go to gamestop for new releases, usually you can just walk up to a Walmart and get them before midnight even strikes, I got 2k11 the day before it released at some son&pop store, this year gamestop got me with the reserved incentive and the fact that you can upgrade it for 10 bucks when the next gen comes out.

Im more excited for that release anyways.

Noticed you didn't mention what system you have 2k14 for.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 01:25 PM
I second that. That system was a victim of poor timing.

Poor timing, poor marketing, ability to rip games were the downfall. Such a special system. In general I was a Sega fanboy growing up. Loved the Genesis and Saturn... although the Saturn was unreliable as sh**.

Chronz
10-21-2013, 01:26 PM
I don't remember that, but i do remember that if he got the ball anywhere in the paint is was an automatic bucket lol

Plus when he got tired you had Mutumbo off the bench.. That team was incredibly fun to use.

Im the master at guiling you into what you thought was an open 3, only to get rejected/contested at the last minute. I cant do that at all in 2k14 tho, they have really given you the benefit of spacing like never before. If you leave shooters open, its done. Im still learning all the slashing/post physics so I havent refined jumpshooting yet. Once I do, they wont leave me open.

Kashmir13579
10-21-2013, 01:26 PM
I blew money for the sake of blowing money, the system never gets played but Im sure I will bring it out if I ever get my dream house and an arcade room to go with it. Right now its in the man cave "the garage". It was a cult classic from what I gather tho.

I dont go to gamestop for new releases, usually you can just walk up to a Walmart and get them before midnight even strikes, I got 2k11 the day before it released at some son&pop store, this year gamestop got me with the reserved incentive and the fact that you can upgrade it for 10 bucks when the next gen comes out.

Dude i know this feeling. I have a bunch of old systems just gathering dust. One day i will have my arcade room. :superman:

Chronz
10-21-2013, 01:27 PM

rly? why?

Chronz
10-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Dude i know this feeling. I have a bunch of old systems just gathering dust. One day i will have my arcade room. :superman:

gotta dream big brotha.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 01:28 PM

I mentioned before I didn't buy it a few times. I borrowed it for PS3 from my buddy for 2 or 3 days and returned it because I didn't like it. Doesn't seem long... but considering when I first get 2K I play for 5-6 hours a day... it's enough to get an idea if I like it.

Dreamcast is definitely a cult classic. It's defined by creativity really. Some of the games are so freaking far out there.. you have to say WTF... before realizing it's a superb game. None of the current makers are as adventurous.

Kashmir13579
10-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Im the master at guiling you into what you thought was an open 3, only to get rejected/contested at the last minute. I cant do that at all in 2k14 tho, they have really given you the benefit of spacing like never before. If you leave shooters open, its done. Im still learning all the slashing/post physics so I havent refined jumpshooting yet. Once I do, they wont leave me open.
You just play online? Admittedly, i did not buy 2K this year but i played it a bunch offline at my friends house. I definitely picked up on the whole spacing thing. The best 3pt shooting teams seem to dominate. I PROBABLY will pick it up when i get the PS4, but i was really underwhelmed by what i saw. The players feel stiff, and finishing around the rim even when open just doesn't feel that fluid. Could just be the new controls though. If i do buy it for the PS4 i will have to look into tampering with the controls like you mentioned to find something more suitable.

Kashmir13579
10-21-2013, 01:33 PM
gotta dream big brotha.

'Merica!

Chronz
10-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Panda I said I don't consider the control scheme a plus as in over last year 2K13 really but never said it was a big sticking point to why I don't feel 2K14 is worth buying. I already said why I won't buy 2K for the first time in a decade on the last page. I'm an offline player predominantly so I'm stuck with Association and My Player and you can probably understand why I get so bored and the game gets stale.
So you dont actually own 2K?

Maybe for those of you who do predominantly online, for the very rare times the servers are working right..
2K servers are inconsistent at launch but they eventually stabilize. I think this complaint is the most subjective because we all dont have the same internet connection. There are errors tho, and yeah, if you dont play online then you cant really understand the joy of MyTeam mode and how much they enhanced it.

I rare lose when I play against people online
Whats your record? Have you ever competed in the virgin tourneys... for cash?

and have been in a few online association leagues now.
I didn't get to play in any last year, 2K servers sucked for me in this aspect, literally never found an open league because NOTHING would pop up.

Thing is the way the game works right now... you're almost forced to cheese online and shoot 100 threes and switch off your man to let CPU defend etc, because of either lag or the mechanics of defense.

You do realize you can identify the lag before ever accepting the match right? I rarely lag because I rarely play against people whos internet connection slows me down. Not sure what you mean by defense mechanics, maybe you just suck at adapting to them but yes, I tend to control every player depending on whats going on.

It seems like you rarely play online so its hard for you to notice just how drastic the changes have been, 1-3-1 defense used to completely destroy the slashing game, people complained it was overpowering and to some degree it prolly was, even the most amateur of players could compete if they relied on 1-3-1, this year its completely useless.

Last year for 2K13 the big hype I saw was finally you can play defense etc... and now I'm supposed to believe 2K14 finally got it right? In the gaming section 2K thread the biggest complaint was actually how overpowered shotblocking was now and how the D was still imbalanced.
Sounds like a bunch of whining cheesers who dont realize that in real life, you cant just slash to the rim at will.

Kashmir13579
10-21-2013, 01:40 PM
2K servers are inconsistent at launch but they eventually stabilize. I think this complaint is the most subjective because we all dont have the same internet connection. There are errors tho, and yeah, if you dont play online then you cant really understand the joy of MyTeam mode and how much they enhanced it.
You play on XBOX, right? I honestly think Playstation must get the short end of the stick when it comes to this. Some years are worse than others but i always have issues with the online servers in some capacity. I remember 2k10 just flat out didnt' work online, period. I think this should improve on the next gen though.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Chronz I don't think that's really accurate or fair. Reminds me of the COD players who think the only thing that should exist or get improvement is the online play. No I never played for cash, just saying I actually play the game pretty well, even against online comp. I think it's important for game makers to improve offline modes just as much, but unfortunately the money nowadays is made online, so they have sold out.

As an Association and My Career/Player guy you guys don't see why I might not be happy with 2K14? Even pathetically bad glitches/features that could have easily been patched didn't change.

Chronz
10-21-2013, 01:45 PM
I mentioned before I didn't buy it a few times. I borrowed it for PS3 from my buddy for 2 or 3 days and returned it because I didn't like it. Doesn't seem long... but considering when I first get 2K I play for 5-6 hours a day... it's enough to get an idea if I like it.

Dreamcast is definitely a cult classic. It's defined by creativity really. Some of the games are so freaking far out there.. you have to say WTF... before realizing it's a superb game. None of the current makers are as adventurous.
Yea but too much gaming in 1 sitting can also burn you out and artificially undermine the gameplay. Maybe it is enough for you to adapt but if you're not liking the game, its also possible you havent fully adapted just yet. I've only now enjoyed my first long winning streak (4 games) and it was a blast. I started off 4-2 or something but never had fun, the most fun I had was playing the team modes where everyone is stuck with bronze level players (2k servers have now glitched me out of the mode tho), then I began losing most of my online games (2-8) stretch or something but I noticed the games were getting livelier.
I dont enjoy 2k as much as years past but Im starting to think video games are dying out for me.

Chronz
10-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Chronz I don't think that's really accurate or fair. Reminds me of the COD players who think the only thing that should exist or get improvement is the online play. No I never played for cash, just saying I actually play the game pretty well, even against online comp. I think it's important for game makers to improve offline modes just as much, but unfortunately the money nowadays is made online, so they have sold out.

As an Association and My Career/Player guy you guys don't see why I might not be happy with 2K14? Even pathetically bad glitches/features that could have easily been patched didn't change.
What about myteam? That **** has been revolutionary but it gets downplayed by the masses because its an obvious money grab. To make up for the lopsided teams that plagued the mode last year, they've added tourneys where you can compete against guy at your level of talent. Honestly tho, some of my fondest memories was taking out a team stacked with gold players with nothing but scrubs and hidden gems on my squad. I then pm them asking how much that lost just cost you. HI-LARIOUS

Chronz
10-21-2013, 01:51 PM
You play on XBOX, right? I honestly think Playstation must get the short end of the stick when it comes to this. Some years are worse than others but i always have issues with the online servers in some capacity. I remember 2k10 just flat out didnt' work online, period. I think this should improve on the next gen though.

Next gen games are suppose to have dedicated servers IIRC. So yea you should be fine. I've never played it on PS but for xbl, all you have to do is toggle between teams and if its not a near instantaneous swap, if there is any lag whatsoever, just cancel the match and try again.

Kashmir13579
10-21-2013, 01:54 PM
I dont enjoy 2k as much as years past but Im starting to think video games are dying out for me.

I don't think its that we're getting older, i just think video games in general aren't what they used to be. Mainstream audiences and unrealistic sales expectations have devs in a stranglehold. Things were better when it was still niche. I remember you mentioning you loved the Hitman games. We'll never see another game like Bloodmoney for the simple fact that it won't sell near as much as COD.

1-800-STFU
10-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Poor timing, poor marketing, ability to rip games were the downfall. Such a special system. In general I was a Sega fanboy growing up. Loved the Genesis and Saturn... although the Saturn was unreliable as sh**.

Saturn :laugh2:

Right now I have a Genesis, Dreamcast, a PS3 special edition that plays ps1, 2, and 3 games, Vita, and a 3DS. Also play alot of PC games so I built a massive PC(actually primarily play PC games). I plan on buying a House of the Dead 2 arcade cabinet for my house among other things as well.

Grew up with Genesis. Love me some Dynamite Heeady.

aTinyPanda
10-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Next gen games are suppose to have dedicated servers IIRC. So yea you should be fine. I've never played it on PS but for xbl, all you have to do is toggle between teams and if its not a near instantaneous swap, if there is any lag whatsoever, just cancel the match and try again.

lol it's sad but I use the same "picky" attitude when playing Fight Night or Fifa online as well. Nothing pisses me off more than losing a game because lag took away the things I do best in either game.

Kashmir13579
10-21-2013, 02:02 PM

Right now I have a Genesis, Dreamcast, a PS3 special edition that plays ps1, 2, and 3 games, Vita, and a 3DS. Also play alot of PC games so I built a massive PC(actually primarily play PC games). I plan on buying a House of the Dead 2 arcade cabinet for my house among other things as well.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors...

aTinyPanda
10-21-2013, 02:02 PM
I don't think its that we're getting older, i just think video games in general aren't what they used to be. Mainstream audiences and unrealistic sales expectations have devs in a stranglehold. Things were better when it was still niche. I remember you mentioning you loved the Hitman games. We'll never see another game like Bloodmoney for the simple fact that it won't sell near as much as COD.

Just wait for the Occulus Rift to go mainstream and mass produced.. it's going to revolutionize games in the way that online play did. Gaming will never be the same after virtual reality starts hitting the average consumers home.

aTinyPanda
10-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Zombies Ate My Neighbors...

DUDE THAT GAME WAS MINE AND MY BROTHERS ISH GROWING UP. I could never get passed the castle stage :sigh:

RCarlson85
10-21-2013, 02:07 PM
I used to love the NBA live years ago. I bought them every year through whatever year McGrady was on the cover. I hadn't bought/played a new NBA game for years but decided to buy 2K11 for PS3 when the game was first released. I didn't enjoy the game play at all. The graphics and visuals were good, but it was way too complicated for someone who's just a casual player and doesn't have time to devote hours and hours to mastering every fricken move. NBA live may have been a little simple as far as the gameplay went but I could pick up a controller and play just fine after years of not playing. That's how I feel about Madden too. I haven't bought that quite as religiously as I did when I was college age or younger but I can still pick up a controller and have a good time even after not playing it for awhile. I will never buy another 2K game but would probably give NBA Live a shot at some point again.

NYKnickFanatic
10-21-2013, 02:09 PM

Yup. I was playing online last night, dude took the Clippers and went 9/13 from deep with Jared Dudley. The first four shots he was completely wide open, which were my fault, but then he just kept drilling them right in my grill, I was like WTF!

NYKnickFanatic
10-21-2013, 02:11 PM
I used to love the NBA live years ago. I bought them every year through whatever year McGrady was on the cover. I hadn't bought/played a new NBA game for years but decided to buy 2K11 for PS3 when the game was first released. I didn't enjoy the game play at all. The graphics and visuals were good, but it was way too complicated for someone who's just a casual player and doesn't have time to devote hours and hours to mastering every fricken move. NBA live may have been a little simple as far as the gameplay went but I could pick up a controller and play just fine after years of not playing. That's how I feel about Madden too. I haven't bought that quite as religiously as I did when I was college age or younger but I can still pick up a controller and have a good time even after not playing it for awhile. I will never buy another 2K game but would probably give NBA Live a shot at some point again.

That is the year I officially switched to 2K. I played 2K6, but when Live 07 came out, I got that and regretted it immediately. Went to Gamestop right away and picked up 2K7. Live 07 was so bad IMO.

Chronz
10-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Yup. I was playing online last night, dude took the Clippers and went 9/13 from deep with Jared Dudley. The first four shots he was completely wide open, which were my fault, but then he just kept drilling them right in my grill, I was like WTF!

Yea some guys have truly mastered shot animations and superstarskills (like were many of those shots coming off a CP3 dish with JD stationed in the corner?) its hard not to get upset over it but I tried drilling shots with Dudley before, I cant. His release is too slow and I havent done my part by turning on the shot grading thing to learn either. Right now Im coasting off Bball IQ but eventually Ima have to get serious.

Chronz
10-21-2013, 02:25 PM
I remember buying that Live because Tmac finally got a cover on one of the main games, wat a piece of trash that game was. You could tell they were trying to go with a radically different motion/control logic, there was some hope for the future but it was obviously years away. Im pretty sure Live stopped making games shortly thereafter, in hopes to perfect that vision, but its taken a long time and from the footage here, it doesn't look like its anywhere near ready.

I wish people would keep that in mind when they complain about sweeping changes not being made to the playstyle. Its pretty ****ing hard to completely revamp gameplay and completely unnecessary imo, what 2K has going for it is pure gold, I dont want massive change every year, I dont want to completely relearn a game, just keep making nuanced improvements and Im more than fine.

NYKnickFanatic
10-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Yea some guys have truly mastered shot animations and superstarskills (like were many of those shots coming off a CP3 dish with JD stationed in the corner?) its hard not to get upset over it but I tried drilling shots with Dudley before, I cant. His release is too slow and I havent done my part by turning on the shot grading thing to learn either. Right now Im coasting off Bball IQ but eventually Ima have to get serious.

He had a few of them from the corner, but most of them were on the wing. He fed off CP3 the whole game though, had like 16 assists with him.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 02:46 PM

Haha... dude the Saturns used to literally catch on fire of overheated!!! LMAO. Yea man I grew up on Sega stuff+Nintendo. There was something about the way Sega+Nintendo made games that is lacking now with the Xbox and Playstation.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm going to ask you guys flat out. Is 2K14 worth buying IF somebody does nothing more than My Career and OFFLINE Association pretty much? Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance but for these two modes, it seems like the same game as 2K13 for the most part.

NYKnickFanatic
10-21-2013, 02:50 PM
I'm going to ask you guys flat out. Is 2K14 worth buying IF somebody does nothing more than My Career and OFFLINE Association pretty much? Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance but for these two modes, it seems like the same game as 2K13 for the most part.

No clue. I only play online, so I wouldn't buy it if it was just for that.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 02:55 PM
No clue. I only play online, so I wouldn't buy it if it was just for that.

Okay thanks. I think this is the mixup I'm having with you guys. I play basketball games in an old fashioned way I guess. I'm not a fan of online play where it's a bunch of cheese players picking the Heat, hitting 40 threes and driving nonstop with Lebron for easy buckets I can't stop... then PMing me about how I suck and all this ****. Sure I usually have won my games.. but in general just not particularly fun. Only thing I liked about online was playing against friends.

Oefarmy2005
10-21-2013, 02:57 PM
We as players, need Live to become good - competition brings out the best. Until EA blows me away though, my money will go to 2K every year.

NYKnickFanatic
10-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Okay thanks. I think this is the mixup I'm having with you guys. I play basketball games in an old fashioned way I guess. I'm not a fan of online play where it's a bunch of cheese players picking the Heat, hitting 40 threes and driving nonstop with Lebron for easy buckets I can't stop... then PMing me about how I suck and all this ****. Sure I usually have won my games.. but in general just not particularly fun. Only thing I liked about online was playing against friends.

Lol I feel you. I noticed all the bad kids I played against took the Heat. I blew one kid out by 30 and Melo only had 5 points vs the Heat lol.

Chronz
10-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Im starting to think my reason for not enjoying 2K as much as I used to has more to do with the state of the NBA it emulates more than anything else. I wish they would allow us to play with classic teams and bring back other teams that may not be classical in the traditional sense but memorable for the fans. Like every year 2KSHARE has been on the scene, some dude always recreates the 2003 season or something. I would LOVE to play with a 42-40 Orlando Magic team that had Tmac+Hill on it, WAY more than any of the squads today. Gimme Kobe in his hey, or playing with Shaq, Malone, GP. There are some memorable teams that I would enjoy to play with.

2K needs to go all out and get more player digital rights the way they have done with the wrestling games. If you've played one of the recent wrestling games, its not too different from the past but they have really captured that nostalgic feel with some of their modes. But that all sounds expensive so its a pipedream.

One of my favorite games of all time was GT-2, that game took years to make, mostly because car licenses were expensive and time consuming but the end result was that I had a SHITLOAD of cars to choose from, including some child hood classics. NBA2K needs more cars.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Im starting to think my reason for not enjoying 2K as much as I used to has more to do with the state of the NBA it emulates more than anything else. I wish they would allow us to play with classic teams and bring back other teams that may not be classical in the traditional sense but memorable for the fans. Like every year 2KSHARE has been on the scene, some dude always recreates the 2003 season or something. I would LOVE to play with a 42-40 Orlando Magic team that had Tmac+Hill on it, WAY more than any of the squads today. Gimme Kobe in his hey, or playing with Shaq, Malone, GP. There are some memorable teams that I would enjoy to play with.

2K needs to go all out and get more player digital rights the way they have done with the wrestling games. If you've played one of the recent wrestling games, its not too different from the past but they have really captured that nostalgic feel with some of their modes. But that all sounds expensive so its a pipedream.

One of my favorite games of all time was GT-2, that game took years to make, mostly because car licenses were expensive and time consuming but the end result was that I had a SHITLOAD of cars to choose from, including some child hood classics. NBA2K needs more cars.

You'll love the 2K's on Dreamcast then. Blazers, dynasty Lakers, Tmac Magic, VC Raptors, AI Sixers.. all fu**ing sick, physical teams to play with.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Lol I feel you. I noticed all the bad kids I played against took the Heat. I blew one kid out by 30 and Melo only had 5 points vs the Heat lol.

One time I played a true master and that REALLY pissed me the fu** off. He purposely picked the worst team in the league (think this was 2k12) so it was like the Bobcats... and proceeded to blow me out by like 25 and just pick me apart in every way imaginable. Pissed me off so much!! Not a cheeser either jacking up 3's... but killed me with pump fakes, post moves and fundamental things.

Chronz
10-21-2013, 03:09 PM
You'll love the 2K's on Dreamcast then. Blazers, dynasty Lakers, Tmac Magic, VC Raptors, AI Sixers.. all fu**ing sick, physical teams to play with.

Maybe if this were the year 2000 or if people still played online with the older gens but I like playing with the remade rosters. If anything, people who play on top notch PC's have it best, they get to **** with everything.

My cousins friend has a (insert cpu label here) and he plays 2K13 with teams from different eras jerseys, players, and even court designs.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Oh okay, sounds like that could be fun.

PurpleLynch
10-21-2013, 03:21 PM
What kind of shooting form do you use? I'm a sf with a 80/90 midrange but I can't make a bucket even if I'm open.(I played a lot at Nba 2k13 but I don't remember the numbers of the realease and the jump base).

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 03:39 PM
If the shooting strokes are the same.. the combo of 1 or 3 on shot, 7 or 9 on base works really well for me. It has decent lift and fluid release at the top.

ThuglifeJ
10-21-2013, 05:01 PM

I would literally buy a full priced game if it was called like NBA 2K: 2000s or something. I remember they made the Sixers with AI (sort of half assed, not all that signature) and it as a load of fun playing with Iverson BUT it lacked the fact you couldnt play VC's Raptors, Sprewell/Houston Knicks, Tmac in Orlando, heyday Kobe/Shaq...

honestly it's not even nostalgia, those teams were just more exciting than the current state of the NBA. Honestly by a landslide. Today people arent jumping up and down waiting to see Harden's next season.. I mean ya we love Durant and Curry but really no one gets you hyped up anymore except Lebron maybe Rose, who im not really a big fan of either.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 05:03 PM
I loved playing with Steve Francis and the Rockets too. Those teams in like 02 and 03 were nasty.

Kashmir13579
10-21-2013, 05:37 PM
I loved playing with Steve Francis and the Rockets too. Those teams in like 02 and 03 were nasty.

I always used the Sixers. Snow, AI, Keith Van Horn, Derrick Coleman, Dalembert. Van Horn was straight raining 3s.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 05:38 PM
I always used the Sixers. Snow, AI, Keith Van Horn, Derrick Coleman, Dalembert. Van Horn was straight raining 3s.

Yea I used all the one superstar show type teams a lot. Magic, Sixers, Raptors and Rockets. So much fun to use Francis, AI, Tmac and Carter during that time. I think I used Magic the most.

Kashmir13579
10-21-2013, 05:42 PM
great memories thinking back on those games! All the ones with Iverson on the cover especially. 2K was ALWAYS better than Live truth be told.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 05:54 PM
great memories thinking back on those games! All the ones with Iverson on the cover especially. 2K was ALWAYS better than Live truth be told.

2K was always better in terms of just a quality basketball game no doubt.. but as I said before Live was more fun and replayable in multiple years. Like I knew 2K was better some years, but still found myself preferring to play Live.

Kashmir13579
10-21-2013, 06:01 PM
2K was always better in terms of just a quality basketball game no doubt.. but as I said before Live was more fun and replayable in multiple years. Like I knew 2K was better some years, but still found myself preferring to play Live.

No doubt. NBA Live 2003 (Jason Kidd on cover) was ridiculously fun.

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 06:03 PM
No doubt. NBA Live 2003 (Jason Kidd on cover) was ridiculously fun.

Live 01, 03, 05 and I think 09... I found myself playing a lot more than the 2K counterparts I owned.

Kashmir13579
10-21-2013, 06:13 PM
**** i stopped playing live after 05 never looked back

Clippersfan86
10-21-2013, 06:14 PM
**** i stopped playing live after 05 never looked back

That's when real decline happened, that's why. Live 09 was pretty fun though. Reviews were bad but it was so damn fun for me.