PDA

View Full Version : Rose says Miami only rival in East

Southsideheat
10-18-2013, 01:10 PM
Nick Friedell ‏@NickFriedell 44m

Rose is feeling good. He's playing tonight. Said he doesn't think of Indy as a rival. The only rival for the Bulls is Miami.

Feel like this could be another 15 pages of nonsense. Go!

effen5
10-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Sounds about right to me :shrug:

PhillyFaninLA
10-18-2013, 01:59 PM

Then why make the topic

mdm692
10-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Basically "**** you, Indy, BK and NY". Jk. Makes sense though. In order to be someones rival you need to have close competitive games during the regular season and playoffs. The only team that has done that with Chicago is Miami. Here are the East rivalries.

Chi vs Mia
Ind vs Mia
NY vs Bos
Ind vs NY

king4day
10-18-2013, 02:05 PM
If he said Miami and Chicago were the only contenders, I can see where arguments would begin. But he has a valid point. It wouldn't have hurt if he provided an argument behind it, but still.

beasted86
10-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Basically "**** you, Indy, BK and NY". Jk. Makes sense though. In order to be someones rival you need to have close competitive games during the regular season and playoffs. The only team that has done that with Chicago is Miami. Here are the East rivalries.

Chi vs Mia
Ind vs Mia
NY vs Bos
Ind vs NY

So according to your definition, everybody in the top of the East is a rival. Because the HEAT has had tight competitive games with the Bulls, Knicks, and Pacers regular season and playoffs. Bulls have had tough competitive games with the HEAT, Knicks, Pacers, and Nets regular season and playoffs. Pacers have had tight competitive games with Knicks, Bulls, and HEAT regular season and playoffs. Nets have had tight competitive games with Bulls and Knicks, regular season and playoffs.

mdm692
10-18-2013, 02:34 PM
So according to your definition, everybody in the top of the East is a rival. Because the HEAT has had tight competitive games with the Bulls, Knicks, and Pacers regular season and playoffs. Bulls have had tough competitive games with the HEAT, Knicks, Pacers, and Nets regular season and playoffs. Pacers have had tight competitive games with Knicks, Bulls, and HEAT regular season and playoffs. Nets have had tight competitive games with Bulls and Knicks, regular season and playoffs.
Knicks faced Miami once in the playoffs and got abused so no there's no rivalry there. Miami faced Chicago twice over the past 3 years and both series were competitive even with the crippled Bulls last year. Oh yeah Chicago also denied them a shot at the beating the streak. Bulls and Pacers have faced each other once in playoffs so no. Bk needs to make the playoffs consistently and get out of the first round to be considered.

ManRam
10-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Much like LeBron, I don't think he's wrong.

Much like the other thread, I think people are mincing "rivals" and "competition" at times.

Badluck33
10-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Bulls shoulda drafted Beasley, he wouldn't of made comments like these...

SMDH!

U G H

mdm692
10-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Bulls shoulda drafted Beasley, he wouldn't of made comments like these...

SMDH!

U G H
:laugh:.

beasted86
10-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Knicks faced Miami once in the playoffs and got abused so no there's no rivalry there. Miami faced Chicago twice over the past 3 years and both series were competitive even with the crippled Bulls last year. Oh yeah Chicago also denied them a shot at the beating the streak. Bulls and Pacers have faced each other once in playoffs so no. Bk needs to make the playoffs consistently and get out of the first round to be considered.

Knicks spanked the HEAT a couple times last season. The Bulls and Pacers series was competitive and tight. The Bulls Nets series went 7 games. Why didn't you try and discount Knicks and Pacers who have only played in the playoffs once?

Seems your overall definition needs some tweaking because it isn't consistent.

Dade County
10-18-2013, 02:49 PM
Stern most of told him to say that comment, to begin the media hype for the upcoming season.

His words can't reach me, I know their game.

bbcmillionaire
10-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Stern most of told him to say that comment, to begin the media hype for the upcoming season.

Lol yeah Rose said that to make YOU upset....

beasted86
10-18-2013, 02:59 PM

Isn't it you who's favorite catch phrase is "NBA = Entertainment"

If that's the case, Rose is just reading from his script, right?

mdm692
10-18-2013, 03:01 PM
Knicks spanked the HEAT a couple times last season. The Bulls and Pacers series was competitive and tight. The Bulls Nets series went 7 games. Why didn't you try and discount Knicks and Pacers who have only played in the playoffs once?

Seems your overall definition needs some tweaking because it isn't consistent.

How so? Bulls, Pacers and Knicks have all been to the playoffs multiple times since the "new era" began. Nets barely became relevant last year and even then they lost to a Bulls team that was down 3-4 players. The reason I don't try to discount Knicks and Pacers is because of their history and now that both teams are relevant they have brought back one of the great rivalries in NBA history. Bulls and Knicks have not faced each other on the playoffs and Bulls vs Pacers haven't developed any consistency in their rivalry. I guess you could discount Ind and NY but those 4 rivalries I mentioned are the best ones AS OF RIGHT NOW AND UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE. If you don't want to give credit to Chicago that's fine but rivalries are created in the playoffs and continued in the regular season.

beasted86
10-18-2013, 03:11 PM
How so? Bulls, Pacers and Knicks have all been to the playoffs multiple times since the "new era" began. Nets barely became relevant last year and even then they lost to a Bulls team that was down 3-4 players. The reason I don't try to discount Knicks and Pacers is because of their history and now that both teams are relevant they have brought back one of the great rivalries in NBA history. Bulls and Knicks have not faced each other on the playoffs and Bulls vs Pacers haven't developed any consistency in their rivalry. I guess you could discount Ind and NY but those 4 rivalries I mentioned are the best ones AS OF RIGHT NOW AND UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE. If you don't want to give credit to Chicago that's fine but rivalries are created in the playoffs and continued in the regular season.

Ah... still doesn't sound like linear consistent logic.

For me a rival means that you have beat each other in the playoffs at least once. It strengthens when one or both teams were contenders.

Its why the Celtics were the closest thing to a HEAT rival because they knocked out both the Cavs and HEAT previously in the 2010 playoffs then the following year HEAT beat them in 2011 playoffs.

The HEAT don't have any other rival, and I don't think Bulls, Pacers, or Knicks are rivals of each other either. Just tough competition, and a history of a rivalry between some of this group, but nothing that stands current.

mdm692
10-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Ah... still doesn't sound like linear consistent logic.

For me a rival means that you have beat each other in the playoffs at least once. It strengthens when one or both teams were contenders.

Its why the Celtics were the closest thing to a HEAT rival because they knocked out both the Cavs and HEAT previously in the 2010 playoffs then the following year HEAT beat them in 2011 playoffs.

The HEAT don't have any other rival, and I don't think Bulls, Pacers, or Knicks are rivals of each other either. Just tough competition, and a history of a rivalry between some of this group, but nothing that stands current.

I agree with your definition of rivalry but you can make a few exceptions for teams like Miami and Bulls of the 90's. Either way it's still too soon due to the fact that the new era hasn't been around for long but IMO those are rivalries or at least the closest thing to a rivalry we have.

bbcmillionaire
10-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Well I consider the heat a rival and it has nothing to do with LEBRON. Wade vs Chicago goes back to when Ben Gordon was relevant, and wade was a top 2 player in the league. Even when Miami had shaq and we beat them in the playoffs during their championship run(yes before alotta of "Miami fans, were Miami fans". So this goes back at least 8 seasons. Playoffs, regular season there's a rivalry even if lbj doesn't wanna acknowledge it

beasted86
10-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Well I consider the heat a rival and it has nothing to do with LEBRON. Wade vs Chicago goes back to when Ben Gordon was relevant, and wade was a top 2 player in the league. Even when Miami had shaq and we beat them in the playoffs during their championship run(yes before alotta of "Miami fans, were Miami fans". So this goes back at least 8 seasons. Playoffs, regular season there's a rivalry even if lbj doesn't wanna acknowledge it

The problem with that mindset is the only guys who were on the teams in 2007 that faced each other again in 2011 or 2013 were Wade and Haslem for the HEAT, and Deng and Hinrich for the Bulls. The head coaches aren't even the same anymore. LeBron has also beat the Bulls 3 times now... with all 3 times the Bulls only winning 1 game in the series.

bbcmillionaire
10-18-2013, 03:43 PM
The problem with that mindset is the only guys who were on the teams in 2007 that faced each other again in 2011 or 2013 were Wade and Haslem for the HEAT, and Deng and Hinrich for the Bulls. The head coaches aren't even the same anymore. LeBron has also beat the Bulls 3 times now... with all 3 times the Bulls only winning 1 game in the series.

Lol it's more than the players, it's the whole franchise thing. Look at the bears and greenbay, we hate each other despite greenbay beating us recently. A rivalry is cooked up by the fans, and spills into the field of play. Go to the united center while the heat are playing the bulls. Then tell me there's no rivalry

Dade County
10-18-2013, 03:43 PM

Wade was hurt after he won his 1st championship (he gutted it out the entire year)... and shaq wasn't shaq in that series.

Dade County
10-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Isn't it you who's favorite catch phrase is "NBA = Entertainment"

If that's the case, Rose is just reading from his script, right?

Yeah... :nod:

bbcmillionaire
10-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Wade was hurt after he won his 1st championship (he gutted it out the entire year)... and shaq wasn't shaq in that series.

Lol hmmm kinda hypocritical you mention injuries as a defense but you boast about beating a bulls team with a myriad of injuries

Pacerlive
10-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Read the entire quote guys.

He said the Pacers don't feel like rivals because the roster has changed so much.

He thought the Pacers with Collision was more of a rival but I guess that's what happens when you sit out an entire year.

Cool007
10-18-2013, 07:53 PM
I really wish Heat fans know what Rivalry actually means. everytime there is a Rose/Bulls thread, Heat fans are all over those threads - that is Rivalry my friends whether you wanna believe it or deny it.

As for LeBron and Heat players, they may not look at Bulls as Rival just like how Bulls players and Rose don't look at Pacers as Rival.

Since Miami is the team to beat, Bulls and Rose see Heat as rival to THEM. I have no doubt in my mind that Heat will not make the Finals this year and whoever beats them (Bulls/Nets/Pacers) Heat will see them as Rival next year. That's how it works.

Believe it!!!

FreakaNashur
10-18-2013, 08:15 PM
I really wish Heat fans know what Rivalry actually means. everytime there is a Rose/Bulls thread, Heat fans are all over those threads - that is Rivalry my friends whether you wanna believe it or deny it.

As for LeBron and Heat players, they may not look at Bulls as Rival just like how Bulls players and Rose don't look at Pacers as Rival.

Since Miami is the team to beat, Bulls and Rose see Heat as rival to THEM. I have no doubt in my mind that Heat will not make the Finals this year and whoever beats them (Bulls/Nets/Pacers) Heat will see them as Rival next year. That's how it works.

Believe it!!!
Get over yourself

the heat is a rival to everyone in the east

ramsizzle
10-18-2013, 08:52 PM
Get over yourself

the heat is a rival to everyone in the east

Pot meet kettle ^

Theres only two teams worth a rivalry to miami and its Chicago and Indy.

Though the same way you don't feel the bulls are a rivalry, Rose doesn't feel it is with indy. The bulls are 13-3 vs indy including the playoffs with rose. Much better than miami vs. either.

Bruno
10-18-2013, 08:52 PM
I like Chicago but Rose and his team shouldn't be underestimating the Indiana Pacers. I'd pick Indy in a best of seven. In a way he's right, mainly because this will be the first year of a Chicago/Indy rivalry.

Rndy
10-18-2013, 09:19 PM
This is the problem when you don't even post the entire article. Rose was asked about Indy and if they were a Rival. He said no Indy is a great team but Miami is their only Rival. Is every good team in the NBA a rival?

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/9844412/derrick-rose-chicago-bulls-indiana-pacers-great-miami-heat-only-true-rival?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Dade County
10-18-2013, 11:48 PM
i have no doubt in my mind that heat will not make the finals this year and whoever beats them (bulls/nets/pacers) heat will see them as rival next year. That's how it works.

Believe it!!!

no!

Kyben36
10-19-2013, 12:11 AM
I really wish i beleived in the pacers, i do, i just dont think they have that guy, you know. Rose is clearly the bulls guy, and the pacers, it seems to be david west ????. i mean, i wish paul george was that guy, but to me, he seems like a highly over rated jump shooter to me. prove me wrong indy, but they need a go to player.

Rndy
10-19-2013, 12:59 AM
no!

Yes! Say your team will lose or you're going on my ignore list, say it!!!!! The last guy I put on Ignore you ask? JordanBulls just sayin...

D_Rose1118
10-19-2013, 01:26 AM
People forget that before Lebron came to Miami, the bulls already had history against miami played in 1997(i know old) but also 2006 and 2007 with the bulls sweeping them after title and being beat 4-2 the previous year. Also add in the bulls swooping in and stealing the #1 pick in the draft in 2008 when the heat tanked and had the worst record in the league. then count in 2011 and 2013.
also some of the best games have been in the regular season (3ot game in 2009 Wade buzzer beater, Bulls snapping the streak)

I think this is the biggest rivalry in basketball right now
4 playoff series and multiple classic regular season games plus 2008 draft... no doubt

bearadonisdna
10-19-2013, 01:40 AM
This is clearly just a shot at the pacers. Drose gets up for them and he is just trying to say they arent on the same level. They played him pretty dirty in their playoff series and drose doesnt seem to forget.

bearadonisdna
10-19-2013, 01:46 AM
And honestly since so many heat fans are this discussion, i think the heat are rivals to the entire nba not just the bulls, knicks, pacers because their b2b titles, albeit in a shortened season that their suspected collusion was the main attribution, have shown league superiority thus leaving a league wide attempt to unthrone them or duplicate their success.

ntd
10-19-2013, 01:52 AM
As far as I'm concerned, Indy is a better team than the Bulls until proven otherwise. If Rose is back to full strength the Bulls are likely a better team but an ACL tear is an incredibly serious injury for a basketball player, much more so than to a football player because of how much more strain they'll put on it and how much more basketball players rely on their pure superior athleticism to be dominant.

NYMetros
10-19-2013, 02:09 AM
I really wish i beleived in the pacers, i do, i just dont think they have that guy, you know. Rose is clearly the bulls guy, and the pacers, it seems to be david west ????. i mean, i wish paul george was that guy, but to me, he seems like a highly over rated jump shooter to me. prove me wrong indy, but they need a go to player.

yeah...you need to watch more Pacers games

Rndy
10-19-2013, 02:11 AM
As far as I'm concerned, Indy is a better team than the Bulls until proven otherwise. If Rose is back to full strength the Bulls are likely a better team but an ACL tear is an incredibly serious injury for a basketball player, much more so than to a football player because of how much more strain they'll put on it and how much more basketball players rely on their pure superior athleticism to be dominant.

Bulls have always matched up well vs Indy though with or without Rose. With Rose they have dominated them without him it's been close games they just don't match up that well vs Bulls. Hibbert is going against one of the better defensive Centers who is an elite rebounder, West is going against Gibson in crunch time one of the best defensive PF in the league, Granger and Paul George are going against Deng and Butler. It's just not the best match up for Indy Rose is the x factor.

Rndy
10-19-2013, 02:13 AM
yeah...you need to watch more Pacers games

Agreed PG is fantastic player Kyben may only see him vs the Bulls where PG has to go against elite defensive wingers he still gets his points he just has to work very very hard for every shot.

D1JM
10-19-2013, 02:15 AM
the central title is coming back to chicago.

jp611
10-19-2013, 02:36 AM
People forget that before Lebron came to Miami, the bulls already had history against miami played in 1997(i know old) but also 2006 and 2007 with the bulls sweeping them after title and being beat 4-2 the previous year. Also add in the bulls swooping in and stealing the #1 pick in the draft in 2008 when the heat tanked and had the worst record in the league. then count in 2011 and 2013.
also some of the best games have been in the regular season (3ot game in 2009 Wade buzzer beater, Bulls snapping the streak)

I think this is the biggest rivalry in basketball right now
4 playoff series and multiple classic regular season games plus 2008 draft... no doubt

You also have to remember that most of these Heat fans in the Main really didn't become Heat fans until Lebron came. So that's why they don't understand where the rivalry began.

bearadonisdna
10-19-2013, 03:32 AM

Well rose is likely back to full strength. Just dropped 32 on them with 9 dimes in a win without noah or butler.

John Walls Era
10-19-2013, 04:17 AM
Guess Lebron doesn't agree.

sunsfan88
10-19-2013, 06:03 AM
Its true. If Rose gets back to MVP form, nobody but the Heat can stop them in the East.

Chrisclover
10-19-2013, 10:52 AM
seems James wont get another consecutive MVP .Too many competitors this year

Stunner
10-19-2013, 11:00 AM

Rose just showed last night that he's back , and the Starters played the whole game and The Bulls beat them minus Jimmy , Noah and Kirk missing the 4th quarter .

Stunner
10-19-2013, 11:03 AM
Paul George is a very good player but he's overrated offensively , he's not that great of scorer he's still growing . Hes inefficient because he forces shot , but hell get better though .

Dade County
10-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Rose just showed last night that he's back , and the Starters played the whole game and The Bulls beat them minus Jimmy , Noah and Kirk missing the 4th quarter .

Pre-season.

Stunner
10-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Pre-season.

I understand that but the coaches played the starters like a regular season game , they were trying to win badly . And I'm gonna use Heat fans logic for once until the Pacers beat us in the playoffs it's not a rivalry . LOl

benzni
10-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Rose should have included the Pacers as rivals too. Would love to see Indy beat them in a series so Rose can rethink his statement.

RipCity32
10-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Rose looks back to me. My main concern was if we would be back mentally. Especially when attacking the basket I thought he might become hesitant to do all his crafty moves under the rim. So far though he almost looks better then before at it lol.

Linkels
10-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Rose should have included the Pacers as rivals too. Would love to see Indy beat them in a series so Rose can rethink his statement.

Of course you would. We beat the Nets without Rose.

ramsizzle
10-19-2013, 02:38 PM

Rose frankly has dominated them so i can see why he doesn't see a rivalry (same with lebron and chicago.) He also stated he does not know a lot of players on that team, that was his main reasoning... how can you be a rival if there is barely anyone on that team that started that rivalry...

Dade County
10-19-2013, 02:57 PM
I understand that but the coaches played the starters like a regular season game , they were trying to win badly . And I'm gonna use Heat fans logic for once until the Pacers beat us in the playoffs it's not a rivalry . LOl

Good one, lol

But Granger showed me something that game, and he is only going to get more comfortable as the season goes on. Believe it or not Granger might be the Pacers go to player when it's all said and done; PG was given that max contract for potential, he is not a super star type of player, and I don't see him growing into that this season, maybe by the middle of next season (January 2015).

Stunner
10-19-2013, 03:01 PM
Good one, lol

But Granger showed me something that game, and he is only going to get more comfortable as the season goes on. Believe it or not Granger might be the Pacers go to player when it's all said and done; PG was given that max contract for potential, he is not a super star type of player, and I don't see him growing into that this season, maybe by the middle of next season (January 2015).

Yea he's going to be key and by the looks of it West is the one they have been going to in the clutch.

Rndy
10-19-2013, 03:10 PM
Good one, lol

Didn't Granger once again leave with an injury? Everytime I see Granger play I think he's back and I want the Bulls to sign him, then he leaves with an injury.

NYSpirit1
10-19-2013, 03:25 PM

He's right. Indy topped out last year. 1 Heat 2 Bulls 3 Knicks this season.

Hibbert is not Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Granger will screw up their chemistry and they'll be right around 48-50 wins again and the 5th seed.

NYSpirit1
10-19-2013, 03:28 PM
seems James wont get another consecutive MVP .Too many competitors this year

He better not. He doesn't deserve it every year. Jordan only won 5 and he was clearly the best player every year.

It's about a season to season impact and I think Paul, Melo and Durant were all more deserving last year, granted with where their teams were.

ramsizzle
10-19-2013, 04:24 PM
He better not. He doesn't deserve it every year. Jordan only won 5 and he was clearly the best player every year.

It's about a season to season impact and I think Paul, Melo and Durant were all more deserving last year, granted with where their teams were.

I'm admittedly not the biggest Lebron fan, but this is trash. Only guy with a shot was Durant, and the 27 game streak and Lebron's unbelievable play destroyed that notion. He was MVP in every way, shape, or form last year.

Rndy
10-19-2013, 05:43 PM
I still think Indy beats NYK? they match up much better NY doesn't play defense.

Matter.
10-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Ind vs chi ecf ;)

Chrisclover
10-19-2013, 08:31 PM
It was Heat 's 27 win streak that finally gave James the MVP trophy .
It was just impossible to ignore it ,though a journalist in NY didnt vote for him , which sparked a controversy .
Lebron is great ,he is just not likely to be greater .Maybe only an average triple double can be considered a greater performance ,which is very very very hard to achieve
I guess Rose ,Paul or Harden can win it .As for KD,he can have a monster season ,but without Westbrook ,he cant go far .As for Melo ,it is uncertain what stoudemire and Bargnani ,who are always plagued by injuries, can do
Anyway ,I look forward to the upcoming season !