PDA

View Full Version : NBA May Alter Start Times To Help Foreign Viewers See More Games

spreadeagle
10-17-2013, 10:07 PM
Commissioner David Stern raised the possibility the league will adjust the time some games start in an attempt to appease fans outside North America who now must either stay up late or wake up early to watch games on television.

It’s unclear at this point whether the adjustment will be for regular-season games, preseason games or both.

Speaking before the Warriors beat the Lakers 100-95 before 17,114 at MasterCard Center in the first of two preseason meetings between the teams in China, Stern said former Rockets star Yao Ming brought the idea up in hopes of making future games more accessible to international audiences. Stern gave no indication a decision was near, but was also clear that the league will have to consider what could be a radical suggestion, depending on the new times, at some point.

“I think that the NBA is going to have to wrestle over the next decade as more and more of our viewing audiences are outside the United States is what’s the best time for games to be played so that those fans can enjoy them live as opposed to having to get up in China to watch an NBA game at 7 o’clock in the morning,” Stern said. “I think that’s a fun problem that we’re going to be addressing because so much viewing is happening outside the United States now.”

Any dramatic move would obviously be met with resistance from fans in the United States and Canada, not to mention some of the teams themselves, if times of tipoff are moved much earlier than the current 7 or 7:30 p.m ET. One option that will undoubtedly be discussed is altering only weekend games, when schedules for spectators are more flexible and it is not unusual for early-evening or day starts. http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/10/15/nba-may-alter-start-times-to-help-foreign-viewers-see-more-games/

Slug3
10-17-2013, 10:57 PM
I'm on the west coast and don't get home till 5pm my time (8pm eastern). I hate when games start at 4pm as I usually miss almost a half of basketball. Now they want toove it earlier so I can't watch games? Would pretty much mean I would not be getting NBA league pass.

krisxsong
10-17-2013, 11:00 PM
I'm on the west coast and don't get home till 5pm my time (8pm eastern). I hate when games start at 4pm as I usually miss almost a half of basketball. Now they want toove it earlier so I can't watch games? Would pretty much mean I would not be getting NBA league pass.

I'm in the same boat as you, but I just record the games with NBA League Pass on my DVR

Chrisclover
10-18-2013, 02:46 AM
a step forward to expand the global business

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-18-2013, 03:03 AM
thats great. The Laker games here start at 4-5 AM.

NYKNYGNYY
10-18-2013, 04:41 AM
Oh yea **** the AMERICAN fans right? U know the ones who attend games...smh

NYKnickFanatic
10-18-2013, 08:34 AM
I hope they don't do this. I get home around 6:30-7:00 just in time to catch the game. Making the games earlier would be terrible.

beasted86
10-18-2013, 09:02 AM
This is a ridiculous move if they really do this.

West fans already miss out on a lot of East games being at work or stuck in traffic getting home. On the East, I miss a lot of West games because they start late at night, and I either fall asleep watching or purposely go to sleep because I have to wake up early the next day.

This is an American sport so it should cater to American times. Does Wimbledon start matches later to cater to Americans? Nope, because it isn't logical.

ThuglifeJ
10-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Well I'm assuming they'd try to hit China time zones, where NBA is idolized. Which is a big time difference so wtf.

Honestly being on a college schedule Id actually enjoy some 4pm 5 pm games so I don't have to wait around all day after class if I'm trying to watch a game..

spreadeagle
10-18-2013, 11:51 AM
id also like some 5 pm games, im usually home by then and there is nothing on TV, a lot of times games start at 7 730 and I have stuff to do or places to go at night

Hellcrooner
10-18-2013, 12:37 PM
I wonder WICH zone would they want to favor.

China ( they would ahve to start LATER)

or Europe ( they wold have to start Earlier).

MrfadeawayJB
10-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Or they could just replay it later there during the primetime of the other countries. yes, the game would be over but they would just have to avoid seeing scores online

DR_1
10-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Oh yea **** the AMERICAN fans right? U know the ones who attend games...smh

This. Stern's retirement can't come soon enough.

beasted86
10-18-2013, 02:39 PM
If they start having 4 PM start times, you are going to see empty arenas much similar to the baseball weekday day games that look like a ghost town.

Stern better be talking about Saturday/Sunday games.

Goose17
10-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Altering weekend games makes sense.

More afternoon games please, so I don't have to get up at 3am to watch the games live.

Altering weekdays makes no sense.

Goose17
10-18-2013, 03:29 PM
This is an American sport so it should cater to American times. Does Wimbledon start matches later to cater to Americans? Nope, because it isn't logical.

The difference is Wimbledon isn't a sport, it's an event. It's like saying "does the summer league cater to British times?"

Stupid comparison.

Football (soccer) games on weekends are often played earlier.