PDA

View Full Version : Whats keeping J.R. Smith from being an All-Star?

Chronz
10-16-2013, 07:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXHnSnTi_b8

Seems to have plenty of physical tools, decent array of skills. Explosive scorer (a nicer way of saying hes inconsistent), committed defender, some PG skill. Whats holding him back?

Bruno
10-16-2013, 07:40 PM
between the ears man.

i've never noticed him apply his athletic ability to the defensive end, but I could be wrong there.

VinceCarter
10-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Skills doesn't equal production. He doesn't produce at an All Star level.

MrfadeawayJB
10-16-2013, 07:41 PM
It's really a combination of consistency and decision making. His shot selection has him typically labeled as a "chucker" and his mental approach is often misguided. I've always said talent wise he could be a top 5 sg easily, and maybe crack a top 25 player. This conversation happens year after year but he never really matured

NYKnickFanatic
10-16-2013, 07:46 PM
Last year was his best chance to make it, if he couldn't make it then, don't think he ever will.

Unless he becomes a starter this year and has a better year than last year.

tredigs
10-16-2013, 07:48 PM
What does he do at an All Star level?

tredigs
10-16-2013, 07:54 PM
Drink?

TrueFan420
10-16-2013, 07:57 PM

Drink?

Naw he does that on a superstar level

TrueFan420
10-16-2013, 07:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXHnSnTi_b8

Seems to have plenty of physical tools, decent array of skills. Explosive scorer (a nicer way of saying hes inconsistent), committed defender, some PG skill. Whats holding him back?
Please remind me when he became a committed defender again

THE MTL
10-16-2013, 08:13 PM
Consistency. But also up until now he never really differentiated himself into being a true 2nd option. This past season on the Knicks he truly became that man and was our first option on offense whenever Melo was out. Now he has to show that ability for another season

THE MTL
10-16-2013, 08:15 PM
Please remind me when he became a committed defender again

Stop with that stigma of volume scorers being bad defenders. If you actually watch him play, you'll realize that he actually is a good defender

29$JerZ
10-16-2013, 08:22 PM
Shot selection is his biggest flaw.
Towards the end of last season you saw how good of a SG he is capable of being when he cuts out 80% of those awful jump shots and takes it to the basket.
If he was able to replicate that efficiency and style of play for an entire season he would be an all-star but it's no longer a contract year for him and he'll likely regress back to his old ways unless Woodson keeps on top of him about it.

Chronz
10-16-2013, 08:27 PM
between the ears man.

i've never noticed him apply his athletic ability to the defensive end, but I could be wrong there.
Prolly right, but hes definitely not a liability.

Is between the ears another way of saying shot selection ?

That begs the question, should shot selection be deemed a tangible NBA skill. The intelligence to know which shots are good and which arent? Hes one of the best difficult shot makers in the game, what the **** is it going to take for him to realize thats not a compliment?

Make tough shots. Dunk.

Chronz
10-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Stop with that stigma of volume scorers being bad defenders. If you actually watch him play, you'll realize that he actually is a good defender

Have you ever posted on another board?

Jamiecballer
10-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Iq

TheNumber37
10-16-2013, 08:33 PM
Consistency, shot selection, Rhianna.

ManningToTyree
10-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Being an *******. I thought that was apparent

championships
10-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Cocaine?

TrueFan420
10-16-2013, 09:01 PM

Not be horrendous doesn't make him a good defender. I'd say average at best.

John Walls Era
10-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Can't just be a volume shooter. He can drop 40 one night then miss 40 the next.

JerseyPalahniuk
10-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Isn't this obvious Chronz? Also you posted a highlight video... It didn't even really start till a minute in and that was a dunk.

Rndy
10-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Jr Smith is and there are a lot of guards.

DallasTrilla23
10-16-2013, 10:05 PM
The thing that keeps him from becoming an all-star is immaturity. He got suspended for smoking dope.. C'mon son

mjm07
10-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Shot selection and and even more maturation as a person/player. And, this yr especially, health. How explosive will he be after surgery/rehab? That might hold him back from making the all star team.

aman_13
10-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Iq

This.

D-Leethal
10-16-2013, 10:44 PM
His brain and dedication to the game. Everything else is there. And JR has defensive lapses when it comes to his rotations but he plays his *** off on that end and made his fair share of game saving defensive plays and rebounds for us last year.

b@llhog24
10-16-2013, 10:59 PM
Shot selection.

UPRock
10-16-2013, 11:15 PM
a Brain.

LongIslandIcedZ
10-16-2013, 11:17 PM
It's between the ears and his shot selection.

Take an average players IQ and put it in JR's body, you could be looking at a top 5 SG.

TmacBryant
10-16-2013, 11:34 PM
I can't disagree more with the people who say it's about shot selection. Kobe and Lebron have problems with shot selection and look at how good they are. JR has talent but zero work ethic, and that's the difference. Who goes clubbing the night before playoff games?

SPURSFAN1
10-16-2013, 11:48 PM
Playoff eFG% of .387. That's straight garbage.

JEDean89
10-17-2013, 12:12 AM
JR Smith

Chronz
10-17-2013, 12:30 AM
Isn't this obvious Chronz? Also you posted a highlight video... It didn't even really start till a minute in and that was a dunk.

Sorry Gus, I honestly only watched the end half and thought it was spectacular.

Chrisclover
10-17-2013, 12:37 AM
also , his arrogance and antics.
Remember it was him who started to wear in black and claimed that they would annihilate Boston effortlessly?He seemed like a mob :(

It's really a combination of consistency and decision making. His shot selection has him typically labeled as a "chucker" and his mental approach is often misguided. I've always said talent wise he could be a top 5 sg easily, and maybe crack a top 25 player. This conversation happens year after year but he never really matured

sunsfan88
10-17-2013, 01:21 AM
Brain.

kblo247
10-17-2013, 02:23 AM
between the ears man.

Bruno we have seen him try, he just tends to run his trap. I know you remember his as a nugget jawing at Kobe at after getting a stop and then getting lit up in 08.

I for one am shocked he hasn't been used on PGs. He's amazingly athletic and would be effective in that role IMO, as he's too light for twos or threes on the block, but I think he could offer a form of resistance at the 1 if he cared to try

Guppyfighter
10-17-2013, 04:17 AM
JR's defensive ability is greatly overstated here. His stats suck on defense and I will show you why.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2ep59om.png

krisxsong
10-17-2013, 05:47 AM
Shot selection, defense, and lack of maturity.

He has the talent to be a 25-5-5 type of player who plays decent D.

PurpleLynch
10-17-2013, 09:00 AM
JR Smith

This was cryptical at first look,but now I understand lol. Anyway his defense and his decision on court have to get better,maybe this year is the right year.

D-Leethal
10-17-2013, 09:10 AM
JR's defensive ability is greatly overstated here. His stats suck on defense and I will show you why.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2ep59om.png

Yep, three plays out of the season is a great way to judge his defense.

Even better than defensive stats which are widely accepted as completely and utterly flawed and team-dependent (and JRs team sucked on D last year).

Get your head out of your ***. JR has his lapses, he misses some rotations, he helps when he shouldn't at times but he plays tough 1 on 1 D and never slacks in the effort department.

There are a ton of good defenders who have lapses within a team defensive scheme.

Can you explain why you believe using individual players defensive stats is a good way to judge an individual players defense? Can you really not see the glaring flaws in that?

sep11ie
10-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Cocaine is a helluva drug.

NYKnickFanatic
10-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Yep, three plays out of the season is a great way to judge his defense.

Even better than defensive stats which are widely accepted as completely and utterly flawed and team-dependent (and JRs team sucked on D last year).

Get your head out of your ***. JR has his lapses, he misses some rotations, he helps when he shouldn't at times but he plays tough 1 on 1 D and never slacks in the effort department.

There are a ton of good defenders who have lapses within a team defensive scheme.

Can you explain why you believe using individual players defensive stats is a good way to judge an individual players defense? Can you really not see the glaring flaws in that?

This is coming from people who probably see the Knicks play a few times throughout the year. We watch JR play every game, no point in even bothering lol.

D-Leethal
10-17-2013, 09:48 AM
This is coming from people who probably see the Knicks play a few times throughout the year. We watch JR play every game, no point in even bothering lol.

And JR gets no shortage of flack from Knicks fans. But one thing nobody can question is that the dude plays with a ton of heart on both ends. He's dumb as **** and has his lapses on both ends, takes bad shots, makes bad rotations but you never question his effort or intensity on D.

NYKnickFanatic
10-17-2013, 09:51 AM
And JR gets no shortage of flack from Knicks fans. But one thing nobody can question is that the dude plays with a ton of heart on both ends. He's dumb as **** and has his lapses on both ends, takes bad shots, makes bad rotations but you never question his effort or intensity on D.

Yup. Dude leaves it all on the court, can't deny that.

ewing
10-17-2013, 09:57 AM
He has little mid range game and neglects his drive often. Its almost like he needs to get a real good feel sometimes before he is willing to take advantage of his drives. Shot select isn't the best and he has mental lapses. I don't think it is all mental though. JR is a bad shot maker and like most bad shot makers he is dependent on catching the feel more

AIMelo=KillaDUO
10-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Prolly right, but hes definitely not a liability.

Is between the ears another way of saying shot selection ?

That begs the question, should shot selection be deemed a tangible NBA skill. The intelligence to know which shots are good and which arent? Hes one of the best difficult shot makers in the game, what the **** is it going to take for him to realize thats not a compliment?

I don't think theres a player in the league who doesn't know the difference between a good and a bad shot, but players with similar approach to the game really feel like they can make those shots, and actually take em. It comes back to the maturity thing, you don't see Chris Paul shooting fadeway 18 ft jumpshots, while double teamed, early in the shot clock. Not because he can't make the shot, but because he's a smarter player.