PDA

View Full Version : Melo " I want to test the Free Agency "

Stunner
10-16-2013, 05:34 PM
http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=9834846&city=newyork&src=desktop

vitamins_
10-16-2013, 05:36 PM
I really feel like he is going to go to the clippers.... jordan brand all on one team.... him cp3 blake. DONT BE TRUE!!!

Guppyfighter
10-16-2013, 05:36 PM
You know if he leaves Knick fans are going to start pretending they never compared him to Durant.

Stunner
10-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Let the Countdown begin lol

b@llhog24
10-16-2013, 05:44 PM
You know if he leaves Knick fans are going to start pretending they never compared him to Durant.

Lmao.

ManningToTyree
10-16-2013, 05:45 PM
No sane Knicks fan ever did. Stop generalizing an entire fan base

beasted86
10-16-2013, 05:46 PM
No sane Knicks fan ever did. Stop generalizing an entire fan base

Then there are a lot of insane Knicks fans on PSD.

ManningToTyree
10-16-2013, 05:49 PM
I won't deny that but it seems a lot of people on here that aren't from the NY area assume that's what all Knicks fans are like which just isn't true

Stunner
10-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Lmaoo I saw Melo was better than Durant on Twitter

Guppyfighter
10-16-2013, 05:53 PM
There was a thread about it on PSD. The claim being Durant is a worse version of Melo if he doesn't have Westbrook.

ManningToTyree
10-16-2013, 05:56 PM
To the topic. I don't think anyone would he surprised to hear that he wants to test the market. At the end of the day he loves NY and they can give him the most money and a new supporting cast in 2015. I can't see him leaving.

Mr_Amaziing
10-16-2013, 05:56 PM
I can see him with The Bulls or The Lakers

Rivera
10-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Why wouldn't he? Have to explore all options

colinskik
10-16-2013, 06:00 PM
Opting out of his current contract makes the most sense for both parties involved. Either he can resign with the Knicks for more money, or restructure his contract to take a little bit less in order to land another big name.

nycericanguy
10-16-2013, 06:12 PM

really? Wow...that's shocking. I mean I've been on the internet 20 years and never saw one person say anything outlandish!

Stunner
10-16-2013, 06:21 PM
really? Wow...that's shocking. I mean I've been on the internet 20 years and never saw one person say anything outlandish!

Gotta love the Knicks lol

NYKnickFanatic
10-16-2013, 06:26 PM
No news here. This was pretty much expected...

Jarvo
10-16-2013, 06:27 PM
He's gone if they don't do nothing in The Playoffs this year.

NYKnickFanatic
10-16-2013, 06:29 PM
He's gone if they don't do nothing in The Playoffs this year.

Don't do nothing? :confused:

b@llhog24
There was a thread about it on PSD. The claim being Durant is a worse version of Melo if he doesn't have Westbrook.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?816719-Kevin-Durant-fg-will-drop-without-westbrook

Kashmir13579

Guppyfighter: "derp, derp..."

NYKnickFanatic
10-16-2013, 06:41 PM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?816719-Kevin-Durant-fg-will-drop-without-westbrook

:laugh2: look who started that thread! The biggest Melo homer ever.

Kashmir13579
10-16-2013, 06:45 PM
:laugh2: look who started that thread! The biggest Melo homer ever.

You can't reason with these people - they're too simple.

ManningToTyree
10-16-2013, 06:50 PM
Lol so you are referencing a thread started by someone who thinks melo is the messiah. Knicks fans tell him he's an idiot regularly on here.

NYKnickFanatic
10-16-2013, 06:55 PM
You can't reason with these people - they're too simple.

Lol so you are referencing a thread started by someone who thinks melo is the messiah. Knicks fans tell him he's an idiot regularly on here.

:laugh:

Kashmir13579
10-16-2013, 07:08 PM
PSD: Knickz fanz tink 'meloz da gr8est, derp, derp....

Actual Knicks fans: :cricket:

ILLUSIONIST^248
10-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Melo to the lakers, book it!

J4KOP99
10-16-2013, 07:26 PM
yeah, Lakers fans deal with it to. Theres about 4 or 5 absolute jackasses who post nonsense in the NBA forum and consider themselves to be Lakers fans. Then a lot of the other simple minded posters in this forum think that those 4 or 5 lakers fans share the same opinions as the majority of other Lakers fans. Hence the reason for the same arguments/threads being made over and over and over again.

-As for the thread itself, I'm not surprised. I'm a Lakers fan but I'm currently living in NYC and follow the Knicks closely. I actually think there is a decent chance he leaves. In all honesty, I don't think the Knicks will be as good as last year. I just hope he doesn't come to the Lakers. But Melo's previous comment was "I'm not goin nowhere." Either he backtracked from that genius, double negative statement or maybe he actually was being honest in an odd way. Maybe Melo used the double negative on purpose haha. doubtful.

BcEuAbRsS
10-16-2013, 07:26 PM
I highly doubt he is leaving, but I sure would hope that the Bulls show some serious interest if he does consider leaving.

J4KOP99
10-16-2013, 07:27 PM
I highly doubt he is leaving, but I sure would hope that the Bulls show some serious interest if he does consider leaving.

Deng comes off the books after this year, right? Anybody else?

therealwd27
10-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Some how this will turn into a LeBron bash thread.

uptown0364
10-16-2013, 07:50 PM
Deng comes off the books after this year, right? Anybody else?
We still have the amnesty we're expected to use on Boozer after this year.

therealwd27
10-16-2013, 08:03 PM
We still have the amnesty we're expected to use on Boozer after this year.

Melo would need to take a paycut, even with Deng off books. Amnesty does not clear cap space it is intended to relieve the tax burden, the amount amnestied does not become available cap space.

nycericanguy
10-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Melo would need to take a paycut, even with Deng off books. Amnesty does not clear cap space it is intended to relieve the tax burden, the amount amnestied does not become available cap space.

of course it does, that was the whole point of the rule.

Vinny642
10-16-2013, 08:09 PM
haha Knicks fans crack me up

numba1CHANGsta
10-16-2013, 08:13 PM
It's going to be between NY (Knicks/Brooklyn) and LA (Lakers/Clippers), everyone else has zero chance

Bostonjorge
10-16-2013, 08:18 PM
He's gone.

GiantsSwaGG
10-16-2013, 08:22 PM
I pray he leaves that's my dream.

GiantsSwaGG
10-16-2013, 08:22 PM
haha Knicks fans crack me up

Pelican fans do the same haha

BKLYNpigeon
10-16-2013, 08:23 PM
How would the Clippers have the Cap space to sign Melo?

GiantsSwaGG
10-16-2013, 08:24 PM

Learning from Justin, how sweet!

GiantsSwaGG
10-16-2013, 08:24 PM
How would the Clippers have the Cap space to sign Melo?

Sign a trade...

THE MTL
10-16-2013, 08:26 PM
"Look me in my face, I aint got no worries. I ain't got no worries"

TheNumber37
10-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Of course he is going to opt out... duh... He will be eligible for the kobe contract. OR he can take severely less, leave NYC and go to LA with old Kobe, Clips can't have Cp3, Melo, Blake and DJ on the same team ($)... Maybe he goes to Chicago to play WITH Drose...

I don't see any of these coming true, when the alternatives are stay in NY and pick your teammates.. Rondo, Marc Gasol

Chronz
10-16-2013, 08:34 PM
If he leaves, what kind of legacy does he leave in NY?

He forced his way out of a championship situation (yes I believe the Nuggets were on the verge of making the leap with him at the helm), even if you disagree, you cant deny he had FAR more talent on his team than anyone who has ever forced his way out, now he leaves the place he made home.... thats pretty pathetic if he leaves IMO. I hope he does come to LA, so Laker fans can suffer mediocrity (not just cuz melo, cuz they are ****ed for awhile) and Melo gets bashed from all major fan bases.

therealwd27
10-16-2013, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE=nycericanguy;27222960]of course it does, that was the whole point of the rule.[/QUOTE 2. Per ShamSports, the Bulls have already committed nearly $44 million in salary to just five players for 2014-15: Derrick Rose, Joakim Noah, Taj Gibson, Mike Dunleavy Jr. and incoming rookie Tony Snell. That doesn't include Boozer's big chunk of cash, the fourth-year option on Jimmy Butler's rookie contract, or the third year on Marquis Teague's.

Should the league's salary cap hover under $60 million ($58.679 million for 2013-14, per NBA.com), the Bulls would essentially have to ask whatever superstar is on the market to take a significant pay cut just to play in Chicago next to Derrick Rose.

What should the Bulls do about What should the Bulls do about Lu? Lu?

Sign him to an extension before the Sign him to an extension before the season starts. season starts.

Let the season plad re-sign Let the season play out and re-sign him via free agency next summer. him via free agency next summer.

Trade him during the season. Trade him during the season.

Sign-and-trade him after the season. Sign-and-trade him after the season.

Let him walk for nothing. Let him walk for nothing.

Submit Vote

3. This is all before taking into consideration the not-so-small matter of Deng's cap hold, which is expected to be upwards of $19 million (per Hoopsworld). Thus, if the Bulls want to have any free cap space whatsoever when next summer's mad dash begins, they'll have to renounce their rights to Deng, giving up the possibility of getting something in return for him via sign-and-trade should he choose to play elsewhere.

therealwd27
10-16-2013, 08:42 PM
of course it does, that was the whole point of the rule.

You need to re read the CBA bud

D1JM
10-16-2013, 09:26 PM
You need to re read the CBA bud

i think you should

68. What is the Amnesty provision?

Amnesty is a one-time opportunity for teams to release one player via the waiver process (see question number 64) and remove him from their team salary and luxury tax computations.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q68

John Walls Era
10-16-2013, 09:27 PM
Good decision. He'll never make it to the Finals with the Heat/Pacers/Bulls in the way. In the West he actually stands a chance if he joins an already contender.

Max.This
10-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Some of you guys are intense knicks haters. If theres anything good to say about the knicks, these haters disappear, but as soon as something bad comes out they come out of their caves. Its pathetic that some of these knicks fans feel like they need to separate themselves from the fanbase to conform with some of these tools.

QueensG_718
10-16-2013, 09:34 PM
I'm a die hard knick fan but let me tell you this if he leaves I'm not losing sleep. We will have ton of cap space to build a solid team anyway. You want to leave then go ahead. **** em. We gutted our whole team for your *** anyway...

ACanadian
10-16-2013, 09:53 PM
York ain't skippin'

Clippersfan86
10-16-2013, 09:55 PM
I read Clippers were his top choice but we can't afford him obviously. Plus I wouldn't want a maxed out 31 year old me first player.

Blitzace137
10-16-2013, 09:56 PM
I'm a die hard knick fan but let me tell you this if he leaves I'm not losing sleep. We will have ton of cap space to build a solid team anyway. You want to leave then go ahead. **** em. We gutted our whole team for your *** anyway...

X2 if Melo decides to leave I won't lose any sleep. He'll probably want a Kobe type contract.

Dade County
10-16-2013, 10:04 PM
If Lbj leaves the HEAT after the 3peat(llol)... I can see Pat going after Melo, & I don't see Melo saying no.

I can also see Melo going to Houston, Lakers or the Clips.

Pakman
10-16-2013, 10:21 PM
Melo, lebron in La La land 2014. Book it

DallasTrilla23
10-16-2013, 10:22 PM
X2 if Melo decides to leave I won't lose any sleep. He'll probably want a Kobe type contract.

If melo asks for that type of contract, I would just let him walk. There's only one player worthy of that contract and it's not him

aman_13
10-16-2013, 10:25 PM
He said he wasn't going to talk about FA so I'm kind of surprised he said this but I guess the media will get their answers if they constantly ask the same questions.

Drummond#1
10-16-2013, 10:38 PM
Melodrama II: Escape from New York...

What a jokester. All he has to do is play the game, collect millions and don't shoot so much... and he is messing that up. Maybe JR passed him the pipe.

smiddy012
10-16-2013, 11:17 PM
Melo is never going to win a ring as the number one guy IMO. And thats not so much a statement about his actual ability, more about his leadership skills. So to me this is a smart move (if his main goal is to win a ship). How crazy would the league be if he joined Houston, the Clippers, or Chicago?

sjbirds
10-16-2013, 11:22 PM
Should they trade him at deadline so he doesn't walk for free..Hahaha

Team*Chicago
10-17-2013, 12:03 AM
I thought Carmelo was going to be a Knick for the remaining of his career. If he leaves I don't want his *** here in Chicago. He better take his *** somewhere else if he decides to leave the Knicks. He'll probably go to the Lakers because the Clippers and Nets have no cap room for him, if the Rockets wants to hold onto Omer and Lin they'll kick Carmelo away from them and the Bulls like to play defense, hustle and have a championship insight which is what Carmelo trying to avoid. So were the hell Carmelo going to go besides to the Lakers?

shep33
10-17-2013, 12:47 AM
Sign a trade...

I just don't see that happening. For who? DeAndre + Crawford or Dudley? Knicks should rather walk and clear space.

Also the Clips would be in the supertax for years. Cp3 + Blake + Melo= 60+ mill per for the next 4 years.

shep33
10-17-2013, 12:50 AM
I read Clippers were his top choice but we can't afford him obviously. Plus I wouldn't want a maxed out 31 year old me first player.

this is so true. We've talked about the slim likelihood of him coming to the Lakers, but really I don't want to throw 80 mill at him with him being 31.

Only way I do that is if like LBJ comes along, but that's even more unlikely.

heyman321
10-17-2013, 01:12 AM
Melo once said he hates kittens

Lakers + Giants
10-17-2013, 01:49 AM
this is so true. We've talked about the slim likelihood of him coming to the Lakers, but really I don't want to throw 80 mill at him with him being 31.

I feel the exact same way.

Yes to Melo only if Lebron comes. If Lebron doesn't come then hell no to melo.

kblo247
10-17-2013, 02:36 AM
If he leaves, what kind of legacy does he leave in NY?

He forced his way out of a championship situation (yes I believe the Nuggets were on the verge of making the leap with him at the helm), even if you disagree, you cant deny he had FAR more talent on his team than anyone who has ever forced his way out, now he leaves the place he made home.... thats pretty pathetic if he leaves IMO. I hope he does come to LA, so Laker fans can suffer mediocrity (not just cuz melo, cuz they are ****ed for awhile) and Melo gets bashed from all major fan bases.

What did Melo have in Denver?

A coach who got routinely out coached by Phil and Pop and a beef with the 2nd best perimter guy in JR. A tandem of bigs in Nene and Kenyon who only played together the 10 playoffs. A FO who lied to him and gave Camby and Kleiza away for nothing.

Lets be real about things here Carmelo changed the culture of Denver, it wasnt like they made him. They went from 8 straight losing years to 7.5 winning ones and some terrible playoff runs because they got exposed without him in the postseason. The team screwed up with the bigs, they were constantly hurt come the playoffs funnily enough like Amare has got hurt right at every playoffs in ny. They didnt want to truly spend even though they aid they would. It wasnt just Melo mad with them, Kenyon and JR wanted out. It wasnt just Melo who got into it with Karl, Kenyon, JR, Felton all did. And Karl wasnt a master coach at all because he got simply out smarted by Phil and Pop, think about it for a second, everyone trumpets that first round stat besides 2010 when it comes to him, but he met the Lakers and Spurs in 5 finals runs in the playoffs. Its not like he got beat routinely by guys who didnt win the conference like CP3 when he was in the west.

His Ny legacy should read, I came and turned around this team like I did Denver. It went from no p,ago ffs without me for years to making it every year I've been here, just like Denver. It should also read Amare is stupid and oft injured at the wrong time. Amares fell a apart or punched fire extinguishers right at every playoffs, he can't control that. Unless if you want to say he's cursed as his bigs generally get hurt at the playoffs in his career

I do think Kobe and Melo can work. I advocated the Bynum for him deal because it could work years ago with Kobe, Pau, and Lamar. If there's a guy who Kobe respects its his little brother. If there's ever a "friend" its the guy he and their wives are spotted with chilling. On the court, Kobe can easily facilitate for Melo, and really they would be the best post up tandem in the league bar none. Its just the other pieces, Pau fits them, but the ay the cap is you hope Nash retires and then try to make a pitch to a Dirk IMO and let Farmar, Young, and more young pieces take reigns. I don't think its doubtful Kobe and Melo at 90% of what hey were last year could take out the west in a 7 game series, not really, but the window is small to get titles.

kblo247
10-17-2013, 02:41 AM

Better giving Melo max than ever throwing it at Love. If you want to win, want a star to suit up, and want to be marketable.

the thing with Melo will always be how ****ing stupid Jim was turning down Bynum for him. LO in his best season, Phil in his last season, Pau at C, Metta off the bench, Fisher, Kobe, Melo, and 3Bs sound damn good especially since they were all 3-4 years younger. It makes that move look so dumb because now you're potentially saying lets pair these guys up years later and are admitting that older Kobe, Melo, and Pau can win a ring

smiddy012
10-17-2013, 03:07 AM
Maybe if Melo was 25 you give him a max contract.

kblo247
10-17-2013, 03:29 AM
Maybe if Melo was 25 you give him a max contract.

We live in a 2 sided world. On basketball court, its proven Melo makes you a playoff team. On a business front its proven he draws ratings and sells out arenas. He's worthy of a max, more so than guys like Love, Aldridge, Etc.

JWorthy42
10-17-2013, 04:30 AM
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Please stay in New York Melo.

setman2000
10-17-2013, 04:46 AM
$26 million a year for a guy who won't bring you a championship? - Good luck with that NY.

krisxsong
10-17-2013, 05:48 AM
To the topic. I don't think anyone would he surprised to hear that he wants to test the market. At the end of the day he loves NY and they can give him the most money and a new supporting cast in 2015. I can't see him leaving.

Can you still say that if the Knicks do poorly this year?

sammyvine
10-17-2013, 05:56 AM
i feel sorry for the knicks....if they pay him that massive contract that will pay him $30m a year....

he has only been past the 1st round twice in his career and never made an nba finals.

PhillyFaninLA
10-17-2013, 07:32 AM
I won't deny that but it seems a lot of people on here that aren't from the NY area assume that's what all Knicks fans are like which just isn't true

blame the fans that make you look bad and not us for reacting to it

ManningToTyree
10-17-2013, 09:03 AM

Can you still say that if the Knicks do poorly this year? define poorly. Missing the playoffs? Not getting out of the second round? Not getting to the finals?

Jarvo
10-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Don't do nothing? :confused:

Make it to atleast the ECF.

Mr_Amaziing
10-17-2013, 10:21 AM
By any chance do you think he can play SG??

Ino it won't ever happen but what if we amnesty Perkins(or trade him bcuz he's an expiring contract), let Sefo,Gomes,Collison go and see if Durant,Westbrook and Ibaka can restructure their contract a bit soo we can sign Carmelo Anthony

Pg- Westbrook
Sg- Melo
Sf-Durant
Pf-Ibaka
C-Adams

:D

NYKnickFanatic
10-17-2013, 10:30 AM
By any chance do you think he can play SG??

Ino it won't ever happen but what if we amnesty Perkins(or trade him bcuz he's an expiring contract), let Sefo,Gomes,Collison go and see if Durant,Westbrook and Ibaka can restructure their contract a bit soo we can sign Carmelo Anthony

Pg- Westbrook
Sg- Melo
Sf-Durant
Pf-Ibaka
C-Adams

:D

Or...

Westbrook
Thabo (keep)
Durant
Melo
Ibaka

;)

colinskik
10-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Believe it or not, Melo is one of the more likeable guys in the league and, relatively speaking, pretty level headed. The reason he forced his way out of DEN was more a testament to Karl's poor leadership and the overall climate there that the players didn't like. However, when an athlete pulls a stunt like that it's usually portrayed as him being a diva.

Being the guy that he is, I really cannot see him bolting NY. In fact, I think he even considers restructuring his contract to take less so the Knicks can land a big time player. Melo wants team success and has been cursed with Amare and his ineptitude/injuries. He sees Lebron who took a pay cut to play on a super team and I think he would consider doing the same.

29$JerZ
10-17-2013, 10:36 AM
We'll just trade him for LeBron anyway.

KnickaBocka.44
10-17-2013, 11:01 AM
blame the fans that make you look bad and not us for reacting to it

Either way, you make yourself look stupid for trying to generalize about 18 million people.

lamzoka
10-17-2013, 11:49 AM

i saw DRose is better than Lebron

monty77
10-17-2013, 12:04 PM
This guy would fit perfectly in the Bulls roster if Deng leaves and we amnesty Boozer because Bulls would be able to pay him and they would need a player willing perform as SF and PF. With this add Chi would be a true contender immediately.

However, Bulls never get any big free agent, the media releases tons of news pretending the trade is possible but this is only smoke, nothing serious. Chicago sounded as likely destination to Lebron, Bosh, Kobe or Howard but finally they didn't obtain anyone.

The best free agent they have been able to bring is Boozer. He is good player but overpaid without any doubt, and he isn't even a superstar player. We always fail in the important moments and I don't know why, because Chicago is a nice town, a big market and there are very good players to opt to the ring.

Rose doesn't realize any effort to reclute star players, the owner doesn't pay too much money, the climate is too cold or Jordan's shadow is too large... I don't know the reason but we never sign a good superstar in the market. It's a pity!

However, Bulls succees re-signing players who they picked up in the draft, such as Noah, Deng, Rose, Hinrich, Gibson and so on. The only player in last years who decided to leave was Ben Gordon, because Omer Asik leaves Chicago but he wasn't a unrestricted free agent (Bulls didn't match Houston offer).

For this reason, I won't read any news talking about Melo and Bulls as possible destination. This is just waste time.

Pierzynski4Prez
10-17-2013, 12:08 PM
This guy would fit perfectly in the Bulls roster if Deng leaves and we amnesty Boozer because Bulls would be able to pay him and they would need a player willing perform as SF and PF. With this add Chi would be a true contender immediately.

However, Bulls never get any big free agent, the media releases tons of news pretending the trade is possible but this is only smoke, nothing serious. Chicago sounded as likely destination to Lebron, Bosh, Kobe or Howard but finally they didn't obtain anyone.

The best free agent they have been able to bring is Boozer. He is good player but overpaid without any doubt, and he isn't even a superstar player. We always fail in the important moments and I don't know why, because Chicago is a nice town, a big market and there are very good players to opt to the ring.

Rose doesn't realize any effort to reclute star players, the owner doesn't pay too much money, the climate is too cold or Jordan's shadow is too large... I don't know the reason but we never sign a good superstar in the market. It's a pity!

However, Bulls succees re-signing players who they picked up in the draft, such as Noah, Deng, Rose, Hinrich, Gibson and so on. The only player in last years who decided to leave was Ben Gordon, because Omer Asik leaves Chicago but he wasn't a unrestricted free agent (Bulls didn't match Houson offer).

For this reason, I won't read any news talking about Melo and Bulls as possible destination. This is just waste time.

We'd have room to pay him about half of what he is looking for, at most.

kobe4thewinbang
10-17-2013, 12:35 PM
Wait...what happened to "I'm not going nowhere"?

colinskik
10-17-2013, 12:59 PM

Well if you have any concept of how the CBA works, you would know "I want to test free agency" and "I'm not going nowhere" aren't mutually exclusive. He can opt out, thereby "testing free agency" and then resign with the Knicks which would follow his not going anywhere statement.

That's funny to you how exactly?

KnickaBocka.44
10-17-2013, 01:00 PM

Nothing. This interview was done back in September, before he publicly stated that he wasn't going anywhere.

Nice troll attempt though.

RCarlson85
10-17-2013, 01:21 PM
Opting out of his current contract makes the most sense for both parties involved. Either he can resign with the Knicks for more money, or restructure his contract to take a little bit less in order to land another big name.

It's going to be the first option if he comes back to the Knicks. I just don't see him as the type that would ever take less money.

colinskik
10-17-2013, 01:26 PM
It's going to be the first option if he comes back to the Knicks. I just don't see him as the type that would ever take less money.

It will truly be a testament to the type of person he is. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. As a Knicks and Melo fan, I'm holding out hope that he will take less. It won't shock me though if he ends up doing the opposite.

NYKnickFanatic
10-17-2013, 01:36 PM

I could see you laughing if this post came after free agency and he signed elsewhere, but your laugh is pointless here...