PDA

View Full Version : SI: Kobe Was Selected To Be Jesus Shuttlesworth in He Got Game But Declined

JNA17
10-16-2013, 05:02 PM
That summer Spike Lee begins filming He Got Game, a movie with Denzel Washington about a basketball prodigy named Jesus Shuttlesworth. "I want you to be part of it," Lee tells Bryant. "Thank you but no thank you," Bryant says. "This summer is too big for me." Ray Allen lands the role as Shuttlesworth.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20131016/kobe-bryant-lakers-si-cover-story/

It's an article reflecting Kobe's career and I thought I would share this little interesting tiblit. I never knew that and was pretty shocked to hear this. Not just him selected to play that role but to decline it at his really young age. I knew Kobe was really dedicated to his game most of his life but even at that age like many people would, I would have thought he would have jumped at the chance for this.

Stunner
10-16-2013, 05:35 PM
And the Legend Grows

Bruno
10-16-2013, 05:38 PM
he shoulda done it!

JNA17
10-16-2013, 05:45 PM
he shoulda done it!

I have to admit, he would have actually looked like a jesus shuttlesworth too if he had the afro and beard for the part.

Chronz
10-16-2013, 05:56 PM
Years ago, upon returning from the horror flick Saw II, Bryant described for Lakers trainer Gary Vitti a scene in which a victim awakens to find a contraption locked around his neck lined with nails pointed at his head. A videotape explains that the victim can unlock the device with a key, but it has been surgically implanted behind his right eye, and he can only extract it with a scalpel. He has a minute before it closes over his face and kills him. "I think I could get that key," Bryant said.
"I believe you," Vitti replied.

DallasTrilla23
10-16-2013, 06:09 PM
Years ago, upon returning from the horror flick Saw II, Bryant described for Lakers trainer Gary Vitti a scene in which a victim awakens to find a contraption locked around his neck lined with nails pointed at his head. A videotape explains that the victim can unlock the device with a key, but it has been surgically implanted behind his right eye, and he can only extract it with a scalpel. He has a minute before it closes over his face and kills him. "I think I could get that key," Bryant said.

I believe it too.

J4KOP99
10-16-2013, 06:10 PM
^lol

Bruno
10-16-2013, 06:19 PM

:laugh2:

b@llhog24
10-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Remembered reading about this. Heard there were scheduling conflicts or something.

Kobe Bryant had off-season commitments. Tracy McGrady auditioned but was found too reserved. Allen Iverson auditioned as well, but his acting chops didn’t impress anyone. Management for Kevin Garnett and Stephon Marbury wanted a guarantee that one or the other would be offered the part. Travis Best, Walter McCarty and Rick Fox auditioned and all won supporting parts. Lee approached Ray Allen during halftime of a Bucks-Knicks game and ultimately offered him the role of Jesus. Allen had never acted before, but went to work with an acting coach eight weeks prior to filming.

http://thisdistractedglobe.com/2008/05/12/he-got-game-1998-2/

tredigs
10-16-2013, 06:31 PM
I could see him being able to pull off that role, but I wouldn't change a thing about He Got Game.

Federal Reserve
10-16-2013, 06:44 PM
Who cares? The movie was trash.

ManningToTyree
10-16-2013, 06:56 PM
Lol interesting. Just adds to his legendary work ethic.

LA_Raiders
10-16-2013, 10:50 PM
Biggest mistake of his career. Best sports movie ever. Lol

Teeboy1487
10-16-2013, 11:21 PM
I never seen this movie to be honest.

LAKERMANIA
10-16-2013, 11:27 PM

Space Jam.

JNA17
10-17-2013, 12:09 AM

Space Jam.

You're both wrong. It's Love & Basketball.

shep33
10-17-2013, 12:14 AM
That would've been fun. Ah well

Chronz
10-17-2013, 12:27 AM
Yea, only the true greats can take movie jobs and still dominate

#spacejam
#kazaam
#conan
#airplane

Chronz
10-17-2013, 12:32 AM
preach

LAKERMANIA
10-17-2013, 12:48 AM

Ah, good point, but I can't pass up on Bugs Bunny AND Michael Jordan

N3TS
10-17-2013, 12:50 AM
I liked Ray Allen as Jesus shuttlesworth...so no complaints from me.

kblo247
10-17-2013, 02:06 AM
I remember he only agreed to work In The House if Fisher was doing them with him so I'm not shocked he didn't want to star in a solo role by himself young

PurpleJesus
10-17-2013, 05:00 AM
Yea, only the true greats can take movie jobs and still dominate

#spacejam
#kazaam
#conan
#airplane

You are missing "Blue Chips."

PurpleJesus
10-17-2013, 05:03 AM
Ray Allen was great for the role, but in hindsight, this could have been to Kobe, what Space Jam was to MJ...the obvious difference being that MJ did Space Jam when he was already greatness, Kobe could have been Jesus before the terrific career.

PurpleLynch
10-17-2013, 09:06 AM

Man,Kobe is a stone cold mother****er,I love him.

PurpleLynch
10-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Who cares? The movie was trash.

From a pure directoring point of view,it was one of the greatest sport film. But I'm not gonna argue with a statement so well explained.

NYKnickFanatic
10-17-2013, 09:45 AM

:clap: :hi5:

"Who you goin to the dance with anyway? Spalding?"

"All's fair in love and basketball"

"Double or nothing"

Damn, love that movie.