PDA

View Full Version : Warriors, Bogut begins negotiations

eternal slumber
10-16-2013, 01:25 PM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/10/16/warriors-bogut-begin-negotiations/

IMO there are some advantages and disadvantages for both parties talking negotiations this early.

J4KOP99
10-16-2013, 01:30 PM
He will get hurt again and again and again... And the warriors will regret this

MonroeFAN
10-16-2013, 01:42 PM
Yikes, would not want to be in Golden States shoes right now.

Hopefully they can form some type of incentive based, partially guaranteed contract.

flea
10-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Don't see how they get around paying him. When healthy he's a top 5 center and very important to their team defense. Without him there aren't really any title hopes.

eternal slumber
10-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Yikes, would not want to be in Golden States shoes right now.

Hopefully they can form some type of incentive based, partially guaranteed contract.

i have a feeling that Warriors are forced to negotiate with Bogut now rather than see how healthy he would be throughtout the season. we all know that the Warriors pursuit Howard eventhough they still have Bogut on board. i know Bogut have said somewhere that it's just ok with him and it's all business but if i was in his shoe, i'll won't feel ok with it, just ask Omer Asik.

they are trying to lock him up now and avoid letting him go through free agency eventhough Bogut has been banged up throughout his career.

BKLYNpigeon
10-16-2013, 02:24 PM
I think its a good move from both sides.

Bogut's injuries were both Freakish Accidents and not Chronic. The reason why he's been on and off is because he rushed himself back and never really fully recovered. He has never been a player where his conditioning or effort was a problem.

Everyone was Ripping the Warriors when they Re-Upped Steph Curry to a 4 year 44 million dollar contract. His Ankle Injuries were worse. His contract now is a complete Bargain.

shep33
10-16-2013, 02:50 PM
Tricky contract to give out, perhaps the toughest contract to offer in all the NBA. When he's healthy he's a top 5 defensive center and one of the smarter players on the court (good passer for a big).

But the injuries are worrisome.

5ass
10-16-2013, 02:51 PM
They have to keep him.

beasted86
10-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Warriors have a habit of overpaying for Centers... Biedrins, Kwame Brown, etc.. Bogut is in for a huge payday.

tredigs
10-16-2013, 03:23 PM
Warriors have a habit of overpaying for Centers... Biedrins, Kwame Brown, etc.. Bogut is in for a huge payday.

Whole new ownership/management.

I'd prefer to take advantage of Bogut's contract year and not sign him too early for too much. Hopefully they're shrewd about this.

beasted86
10-16-2013, 03:28 PM

I'd prefer to take advantage of Bogut's contract year and not sign him too early for too much. Hopefully they're shrewd about this.

Actually the Kwame Brown signing was under the current management and GM.

The reality is how many playoff caliber teams have the cap space this summer to offer Bogut double digits per year? Mavericks, maybe... if you even consider them playoff caliber still... Lakers? But the Warriors will find a way to bid against themselves.

I'd rather let him walk to the Pelicans than pay him what I know they will pay him. I fully expect a 3yr $35M extension.

BKLYNpigeon
10-16-2013, 03:48 PM
3 years 36-40 million sounds about right. Bogut is in the best shape of his life right now and I think his injuries are behind him.

Bogut Dominated the Nuggets last year in the playoffs on one leg.

tredigs
10-16-2013, 04:02 PM

The reality is how many playoff caliber teams have the cap space this summer to offer Bogut double digits per year? Mavericks, maybe... if you even consider them playoff caliber still... Lakers? But the Warriors will find a way to bid against themselves.

I'd rather let him walk to the Pelicans than pay him what I know they will pay him. I fully expect a 3yr $35M extension.

That's true looking at it. One of the first deals before they got Bogut. But just 1 year, those are classic overpays.

As far as 3 year 35 million, that would be about as ideal of a contract as you could get for him if he stays close to as healthy as he looks right now. He'll likely see 12-13 mil per no matter where he is.

Goose17
10-16-2013, 04:11 PM

Actually it wasn't. When Kwame was signed Bob Myers (the current GM) was only the assistant GM. We signed Kwame around late 2011, Myers didn't become the GM until early 2012 (April?). Plus, we were intitially chasing Chandler, Deandre, and Gasol. Kwame was the guy left over.

People don't give Myers enough credit for what he's done with this team since becoming GM. He traded for Jack and signed Landry which aided us in our playoff run last year, he drafted Draymond and Barnes, locked up Curry who is now an absolute steal, and pulled off a sign and trade for the second best perimeter defender in the league after Lebron (Andre Iguodala), plus the signing of Douglas, Speights and O'Neal this season on good contracts, then the youth we have developing now. We're a very young team. This guy is a good GM and he's only getting started.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see us pay more than Bogut might be worth right now. First of all, if they've seen him in practice and scrimmage games and think he's going to be healthy then you just give him whatever he wants, because when he was healthy he was a top 5 big man and big men at that level are a rarity right now.

If he's not healthy I can still see us giving him 10 mil a year, why? Because what options do we have? He's the first high-caliber big man we've had on our roster for a LONG time. There's not a lot of big men on his level in the league and even fewer that are free agents. Our defense in the post-season was anchored by his work in the paint, the team we have now just can't operate at the same level without that presence in the paint.

We're not the Miami Heat, we don't have every free agent in the world sucking our dicks for a spot on the bench.

b@llhog24
10-16-2013, 05:11 PM
He's mostly been screwed over by freak accidents, right?

beasted86
10-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Actually it wasn't. When Kwame was signed Bob Myers (the current GM) was only the assistant GM. We signed Kwame around late 2011, Myers didn't become the GM until early 2012 (April?). Plus, we were intitially chasing Chandler, Deandre, and Gasol. Kwame was the guy left over.

People don't give Myers enough credit for what he's done with this team since becoming GM. He traded for Jack and signed Landry which aided us in our playoff run last year, he drafted Draymond and Barnes, locked up Curry who is now an absolute steal, and pulled off a sign and trade for the second best perimeter defender in the league after Lebron (Andre Iguodala), plus the signing of Douglas, Speights and O'Neal this season on good contracts, then the youth we have developing now. We're a very young team. This guy is a good GM and he's only getting started.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see us pay more than Bogut might be worth right now. First of all, if they've seen him in practice and scrimmage games and think he's going to be healthy then you just give him whatever he wants, because when he was healthy he was a top 5 big man and big men at that level are a rarity right now.

If he's not healthy I can still see us giving him 10 mil a year, why? Because what options do we have? He's the first high-caliber big man we've had on our roster for a LONG time. There's not a lot of big men on his level in the league and even fewer that are free agents. Our defense in the post-season was anchored by his work in the paint, the team we have now just can't operate at the same level without that presence in the paint.

We're not the Miami Heat, we don't have every free agent in the world sucking our dicks for a spot on the bench.

The ownership and everyone involved in that decision, is still currently in place with the team. So it isn't an "old management" move like the last guy said.

Either way the Bucks paid Bogut $60M and what they got out of him were multiple injury riddled season. He has played 440 out of a possible 640 games including the lockout. That means he has missed over 31% of the games. So whatever his market value, a smart GM should subtract half and give it as non-guaranteed incentive if he is healthy and available to play.

Monta is beast
10-16-2013, 05:45 PM
How are people saying this is a bad move by the Warriors? They are obviously confident that Bogut can stay healthy and is healthy right now. There not going to throw the amount of money he's going to get if they don't think he's going to play. And I've caught a few preseason games and he's in the best shape he's been in since being a Warrior. Honestly dude looks like a new player, and that's saying something with how much he contributed in the playoffs. People will go back and forth on this for days, but good move by the Warriors.

Guppyfighter
10-16-2013, 05:48 PM

Who cares about the Kwame signing? It was on a one year deal. We could have paid him 15 million and the result would have been the same.

Chronz
10-16-2013, 06:13 PM
They made the same risk with Stephen Curry during his injury plagued days, when they extended him and look at how it paid off, dude is a bargain at his price tag.

lol, please
10-16-2013, 10:00 PM

This. I'm not worried about it.

lol, please
10-16-2013, 10:01 PM
How are people saying this is a bad move by the Warriors? They are obviously confident that Bogut can stay healthy and is healthy right now. There not going to throw the amount of money he's going to get if they don't think he's going to play. And I've caught a few preseason games and he's in the best shape he's been in since being a Warrior. Honestly dude looks like a new player, and that's saying something with how much he contributed in the playoffs. People will go back and forth on this for days, but good move by the Warriors.
:clap:

TrueFan420
10-16-2013, 10:11 PM

Brown was on a one year deal and was playing fantastic before his season ending injury. They might have given him more that he was worth but they did in a way in which it wouldn't hurt them and hold them over till they acquired the center they really wanted to build with.

TrueFan420
10-16-2013, 10:15 PM
He's mostly been screwed over by freak accidents, right?

The last two season with the bucks and the start of the warriors were two freak accidents. His first couple years I believe he never missed a game.

TrueFan420
10-16-2013, 10:17 PM
If we could get him at 11 per do it could live with 3 years 35-36 but would like to avoid 3 years 40 or higher.

5ass
10-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Im guessing 3 yr 12mill/yr

ThaDubs
10-16-2013, 11:10 PM
I'm pretty sure Bogut said he was in the best shape of his life or he was 100% right now and he's looked pretty good.

N3TS
10-17-2013, 01:10 AM
I like bogut he's a good center when healthy, but bottom line is that his health has been so hit and miss. I'd probably give him a similar deal to Bynum in regards to terms(not the same dollars), with an opt out clause.

sunsfan88
10-17-2013, 01:37 AM
I would only offer him a Bynum style contract.

There's no guarantee that Bogut plays more games this year than Bynum or Oden.

CityofChaos
10-17-2013, 02:02 AM
No matter how the situation ensues, Bogut will be overpaid whether its by the Warriors or any other team. People forget how big he was for the Warriors during the playoffs and let Curry's performances overshadow what he did behind the boxscore. He showed that even when he isn't 100% healthy that he can still be an elite defender and passer.

Yes health issues are a big concern, but losing a guy like Bogut will be HUGE for the Warriors who are obviously looking to win now hence the Iggy deal. There is no way they will be able to find a suitable replacement if they let him walk because the market for centers that aren't scrubs is still low.

JNA17
10-17-2013, 02:04 AM
When healthy he's a top 5 center

Except he's never healthy. The guy has glass knees. And even if he somehow gets healthy for an consistent amount of games, he is no way better than Marc Gasol, Dwight, Duncan, Hibbert, Noah, Bosh, Horford, etc.

CityofChaos
10-17-2013, 02:08 AM
Except he's never healthy. The guy has glass knees. And even if he somehow gets healthy for an consistent amount of games, he is no way better than Marc Gasol, Dwight, Duncan, Hibbert, Noah, Bosh, Horford, etc.

Except he hasn't dealt with any knee injuries and he's a tough matchup for ALL of those centers.

ThaDubs
10-17-2013, 02:33 AM

Well he's healthy right now and he's a difficult matchup for all of those guys.

tredigs
10-17-2013, 02:53 AM

Lost me at glass knees. Clearly you don't know what you're talking about. And in 2010 before the freak elbow injury, you don't think his 16 and 10 while leading the league in blocks and offering elite paint protection in general is as good or better than those other bigs? That's an interesting take.

Being that he had no back or knee injuries and is still in his prime, I have confidence that his current 100% health is sustainable.

TrueFan420
10-17-2013, 03:46 AM

Expect he hasn't had knee injuries. Bosh isn't a center and he matches well with all of those players listed. Healthy his game is extremely similar to Marc Gasol.

beasted86
10-17-2013, 04:08 AM
Lost me at glass knees. Clearly you don't know what you're talking about. And in 2010 before the freak elbow injury, you don't think his 16 and 10 while leading the league in blocks and offering elite paint protection in general is as good or better than those other bigs? That's an interesting take.

Being that he had no back or knee injuries and is still in his prime, I have confidence that his current 100% health is sustainable.

I'm pretty sure Bogut had back issues earlier on with the Bucks. Maybe someone can confirm that. I do know recently its been ankle injuries. Ankle/feet for big men is just as bad as knees.

beasted86
10-17-2013, 04:13 AM
Actually I just Googled it...

"played nearly half of 2008-09 before he was correctly diagnosed with a stress fracture in his back."

So Bogut has had back and ankle issues, and more recently said he considered retiring due to the ankle injury rehab.

sunsfan88
10-17-2013, 04:16 AM
Whether or not it's bad luck or freak injuries doesn't matter, Bogut gets injured one way or another.

I wish the Warriors would get a durable solid big man they can count on. I want the Warriors to make it to the Finals, they are the most fun team to watch plus I have a lot of respect for Mark Jackson.

Guppyfighter
10-17-2013, 04:34 AM
Whether or not it's bad luck or freak injuries doesn't matter, Bogut gets injured one way or another.

I wish the Warriors would get a durable solid big man they can count on. I want the Warriors to make it to the Finals, they are the most fun team to watch plus I have a lot of respect for Mark Jackson.

Freak injuries don't predict more freak injuries. Plenty of players with injury prone reputations stopped being injured. Plenty of durable players now have that injury.

beasted86
10-17-2013, 01:48 PM
Look, all I know is if Bogut's contract is fully guaranteed, and he gets injured again, I won't feel any sort of sorry for the Warriors management. Many of these GMs need to learn their lessons the hard way and eventually get bumped for their bad decisions that set a franchise back.

Goose17
10-17-2013, 02:25 PM
The ownership and everyone involved in that decision, is still currently in place with the team. So it isn't an "old management" move like the last guy said.

Like others said it was a one year deal, who cares? And you're backtracking, you didn't mention ownership, you mentioned management, and being an assistant GM isn't the same as being the GM. Since becoming the general manager Myers has been outstanding, one of the most underrated GM's in the league. And it's only been a little over a year.

Clippersfan86
10-17-2013, 02:32 PM
People are selling Bogut short so much in here. How quickly all of you forget that he was the 2nd best center in the game just about 3 years ago before that vicious elbow injury. He's a TRUE defensive anchor, can score 15-20 any given night, is a good passer and great rebounder. He's probably the most well rounded center in the entire game after Dwight Howard when healthy. Yes better than Hibbert, Gasol, Noah, Bosh and Horford.

Very few players can dominate a game as thoroughly as Bogut does. Remember the difference he made last year at about 65 percent health in the playoffs? He was destroying people on defense.

TrueFan420
10-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Look, all I know is if Bogut's contract is fully guaranteed, and he gets injured again, I won't feel any sort of sorry for the Warriors management. Many of these GMs need to learn their lessons the hard way and eventually get bumped for their bad decisions that set a franchise back.

He said he's open to have game incentives but won't take a deal like Bynum. I'm cool with that at 11-12 mil a year. Remember we made it to playoffs without him. But he can change us from playoff team to dark horse championship team and there are not any available centers that can do that.

BKLYNpigeon
10-17-2013, 03:03 PM
I would only offer him a Bynum style contract.

There's no guarantee that Bogut plays more games this year than Bynum or Oden.

He is already on a Bynum Style contract. He's has one year left and 14.5 mil on the books.

BKLYNpigeon
10-17-2013, 03:16 PM

Year Team GP
200506 Milwaukee 82
200607 Milwaukee 66
200708 Milwaukee 78
200809 Milwaukee 36
200910 Milwaukee 69
201011 Milwaukee 65
201112 Milwaukee 12
201213 GS 32

Bogut had 2 bad seasons due to freak accidents. He came back strong after the first one and played 2 solid seasons until Amare Stoudimire pushed him in the back after a dunk and fractured his Elbow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejfPWH5MPME

Bogut is probably not better then any of those players you mentioned, but if the Warriors dont re-sign him who do they go after? Its not like Centers are a dime a dozen in the NBA.

Bogut is 15 pounds lighter going into Training Camp, More Muscular and Toned. I think the Warriors should lock him up!

beasted86
10-17-2013, 03:21 PM
Like others said it was a one year deal, who cares? And you're backtracking, you didn't mention ownership, you mentioned management, and being an assistant GM isn't the same as being the GM. Since becoming the general manager Myers has been outstanding, one of the most underrated GM's in the league. And it's only been a little over a year.

The current owner owned the team when he got the deal
The GM who gave him the contract is still with the team
The then assistant GM is now the current head GM

Nobody is backtracking anything. The management and ownership that gave him the deal is still in place. The owner manages the team and signs off of trades and contracts. Also if he thought the deal and other moves that the last GM gave out were bad deals, he wouldn't be with the team anymore. Instead the guy still very much works but in another management position. The same management is there. Period.

I already gave my piece on this topic, I'm out.

MygirlhatesCod
10-17-2013, 03:28 PM
Im a big fan of a 40% incentive plan on games played at 12 mil per season for about 4 years. i dont see why he would not go for something close. its a win win for both parties. he gets what he should deserve if he plays and the warriors wont get boned as hard if he gets hurt.

Guppyfighter
10-17-2013, 04:02 PM
The GM who gave him the contract is still with the team
The then assistant GM is now the current head GM

Nobody is backtracking anything. The management and ownership that gave him the deal is still in place. The owner manages the team and signs off of trades and contracts. Also if he thought the deal and other moves that the last GM gave out were bad deals, he wouldn't be with the team anymore. Instead the guy still very much works but in another management position. The same management is there. Period.

I already gave my piece on this topic, I'm out.

Why would a one year deal be bad in any capacity? We basically stalled a year and gave an expirer that allowed us to flip for Bogut.

Goose17
10-17-2013, 04:31 PM

You didn't mention the owner, you mentioned MANAGEMENT.

See? No mention of owners.

And being the assistant GM isn't the same as being the GM. If you honestly think he had just as much say in what was happening as he does now you're a complete fool.

sunsfan88
10-17-2013, 04:48 PM
He is already on a Bynum Style contract. He's has one year left and 14.5 mil on the books.

Keep givin him short term deals. He's likely never gonna play in 3/4 of a seasons games again.

TrueFan420
10-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Keep givin him short term deals. He's likely never gonna play in 3/4 of a seasons games again.

He won't do that tho and has plenty of other options also disagree he will play 3/4 of the season again.

Rockice_8
10-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Since all big men get over paid I'll say he lands in the $12M per year range (give or take a mil). Hopefully for GS's sake it's lower. Years will probably be around 4.

Put it all together I'd say he's looking at 4yrs/48M

sunsfan88
10-17-2013, 05:02 PM
He won't do that tho and has plenty of other options also disagree he will play 3/4 of the season again.

Wanna sig bet on it?

TrueFan420
10-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Wanna sig bet on it?

Well seeing as your unfounded comment said never again sure. If he plays 3/4 of a season at some point in the remainder of his career I win if he doesn't you lose.

sunsfan88
10-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Well seeing as your unfounded comment said never again sure. If he plays 3/4 of a season at some point in the remainder of his career I win if he doesn't you lose.

Haha no, I meant for this season.

TrueFan420
10-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Haha no, I meant for this season.

Well then next time don't say never. Be specific.

As for this season... I think he will but not confident. As long as he's good for the playoffs tho I'm happy.

lol, please
10-18-2013, 12:56 AM
I'm pretty sure Bogut said he was in the best shape of his life or he was 100% right now and he's looked pretty good.

I love your sig quote. :laugh: ChitownBears22 is putting in work to quickly becoming a classic on PSD.

Just ask him how good Curry is.

lol, please
10-18-2013, 12:59 AM
People are selling Bogut short so much in here. How quickly all of you forget that he was the 2nd best center in the game just about 3 years ago before that vicious elbow injury. He's a TRUE defensive anchor, can score 15-20 any given night, is a good passer and great rebounder. He's probably the most well rounded center in the entire game after Dwight Howard when healthy. Yes better than Hibbert, Gasol, Noah, Bosh and Horford.

Very few players can dominate a game as thoroughly as Bogut does. Remember the difference he made last year at about 65 percent health in the playoffs? He was destroying people on defense.
Tell 'em clippersfan86! :clap:

JWorthy42
10-18-2013, 01:16 AM
Retaining Bogut is a must. Dude is very, very underrated.

Monta is beast
10-18-2013, 01:06 PM
Plain and simple when Boguts healthy, he's the second most effective center in the leave behind Dwight. He makes people around him better on both ends of the court. On defense he erases perimiter defenders mistakes by altering and blocking shots. On the offensive end they can give him the ball in the post, and run the offense through him during the playoffs when the tempo slows down. People don't seem to remember three years ago when dude was averaging 15 a game, and putting up 20 regularly. His I.Q is by far the best on both sides of the ball. He wasn't more than 60% during the playoffs, and he was dominating on the defensive end. M. Gasol is the better offensive player, but Bogut is on another level on defense. Not to mention he's the perfect center for the style that we play.

It's not hard to realize he's healthy. He lost atleast 15 lbs over the offseason. He wouldn't be able to do that if his ankle was still an issue. He's looked great in the preseason, came in a month early (as did the rest of the team), and wants to play here. If we were not to sign him before the season started it would be a mistake. If he plays over 70 games he would get a 4/56 contract easily. We did the same thing with Curry, it allows the team to save a significant amount of money on the cap, which allows us to go after players like Iguodala.

TrueFan420
10-18-2013, 02:47 PM
I love your sig quote. :laugh: ChitownBears22 is putting in work to quickly becoming a classic on PSD.

Just ask him how good Curry is.

O please lets not open that Pandora's box

beasted86
10-18-2013, 02:54 PM
You didn't mention the owner, you mentioned MANAGEMENT.

See? No mention of owners.

And being the assistant GM isn't the same as being the GM. If you honestly think he had just as much say in what was happening as he does now you're a complete fool.
Essentially by your definition, the assistant GM has no say. Also by your definition, the owner doesn't manage the team. So by your definition, there is only 1 person in "management" of a team, which is the general manager. So with all of this in mind, why would I say management and GM when they are one in the same according to you?

At some point in time you have to use common sense. When I said management I was inferring the ownership, president, and all guys making decisions. When I said GM I mean the GM and his assistant.

Basically all guys who were in a position of power in 2011 are still in some office position today. I'm not getting into insults cause you aren't worth my time. Be safe little dude.

tredigs
10-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Essentially by your definition, the assistant GM has no say. Also by your definition, the owner doesn't manage the team. So by your definition, there is only 1 person in "management" of a team, which is the general manager. So with all of this in mind, why would I say management and GM when they are one in the same according to you?

At some point in time you have to use common sense. When I said management I was inferring the ownership, president, and all guys making decisions. When I said GM I mean the GM and his assistant.

Basically all guys who were in a position of power in 2011 are still in some office position today. I'm not getting into insults cause you aren't worth my time. Be safe little dude.
Bottom line, that management has made nothing but fantastic moves to put this team into a place that they haven't been in decades. The Ellis/Bogut deal, dumping 20 million in dead contracts to the Jazz and signing Iguodala, taking the right shot on Curry and signing him to a deal that is now the best value in the NBA. They've taken calculated risks, and it's paying dividends. Despite your concerns and criticisms, I'd say they know what they're doing. Clearly some of the best GM work of the decade.