PDA

View Full Version : Delay of Game

Rockice_8
10-16-2013, 12:40 PM
Didn't see a thread on this surprisingly. I thought people would be in uproar about this. People usually are when things change.

For those of you who don't know the NBA is cracking down on the players touching the ball after it goes through the hoop in their words "to speed up game play". They are going as far as not even letting guys touch the ball at all after it goes through the net.

I was watching the Nets vs Celtics preseason game and saw two delay of game calls, one on each side, resulting in FT's (not really speeding up the game are they). The one that stood out was in the 4th quarter Plumlee runs under the hoop as the shot goes up trying to get position for the offensive rebound and the shot goes in, lands in his arms and he catches it. After that he basically just drops it where he's standing a runs back. He didn't flip it to the side or anything like that just dropped it where he caught it.

I'm hoping they are just playing it strict now to break guys habits from touching the ball after made baskets and that they aren't that strict come the regular season. It's hard to not touch the ball because there are times that as it goes through the basket in Plumlee's case your natural reaction is to catch it.

I understand if he flipped it back and it bounced away then certainly they should call the delay of game. They usually didn't call those delays last season. It had to be very deliberate for them to call the delay. I have no problem with them tightening the rule up a bit but if they continue to call as tight as I have seen this preseason then it could affect the outcomes of games. This one FT could be huge in determining the outcomes of games, especially in the 4th quarter of close games. Very curious to see how tightly they call it in the regular season because they have been very strict in the preseason.

NYKnickFanatic
10-16-2013, 12:55 PM
They want to speed the game up, but it is actually slowing the game down.

archdevil84
10-16-2013, 12:55 PM
this reminds me of paul pierce one time. where vince carter scored and pierce bounced the ball back through the net and played on like nothing happened. not sure if a delay of game was called or a technical or something
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5OErxGU9zk here"s the video

colinskik
10-16-2013, 01:22 PM
This is a dumb rule change IMO especially because the FTs, which are supposed to act as a deterrent, will actually slow the game down as well as have an effect on the final outcome. I always thought it was speeding the game up if a player flips the ball to the ref. :shrug:

If you play basketball you know that this type of thing happens without even thinking, especially if you are positioning yourself for the offensive rebound. Hopefully they don't enforce this too strictly once the reg season starts.

I do agree that delay of game calls should be made in when there is a flagrant offense.

torocan
10-16-2013, 02:51 PM
I'm perfectly fine with it right now.

Players will get into the habit of not touching the ball over time, then it will be a non issue. It's no different than international players learning not to touch the ball while it's over the cylinder.

There's good reason for enforcing this rule as it will not only eventually speed up the game, but will penalize teams that attempt to "metagame" against teams with fast transition offenses. It's a very old trick for teams to delay the game by either catching the ball and dropping or deflecting it to an official/opposing players so that they don't have to move down the court as fast to defend against cross court passes.

Good for the game once players get used to it.

kobe4thewinbang
10-17-2013, 02:59 PM
They gotta do what they gotta do, I suppose. The only problem I ever had with it was during the Suns/Lakers wars and some of the Lakers would intentionally set the ball down on the floor in defiance. If memory serves, a delay of game was ruled eventually.

D-Leethal
10-17-2013, 03:34 PM
I like the rule. It sucks because nobody is used to it yet but there is always that learning curve when new things are introduced.

If your allowed to grab the ball after it goes into the net and throw it to the ref or just let it roll into the crowd your giving yourself a major advantage against the team that wants to get the ball, inbound quickly as possibly and push it up the floor. Its an advantage for half court, slow paced teams and adheres to their strengths at the expense of a team that thrives pushing the pace. This makes it more of a level playing field when you have two teams with opposite philosophies regarding pace play out.

Making buckets makes it very difficult for the opposition to push the pace. When you compound that with the fact that you can grab the ball and add another second for your team to get back on D before the team can even inbound it makes it exponentially more difficult.

NBA wants teams to push the pace, but teams should also have the right to push the pace and not have to play at a snails pace because the other team is bending the rules.

D-Leethal
10-17-2013, 03:35 PM

Players will get into the habit of not touching the ball over time, then it will be a non issue. It's no different than international players learning not to touch the ball while it's over the cylinder.

There's good reason for enforcing this rule as it will not only eventually speed up the game, but will penalize teams that attempt to "metagame" against teams with fast transition offenses. It's a very old trick for teams to delay the game by either catching the ball and dropping or deflecting it to an official/opposing players so that they don't have to move down the court as fast to defend against cross court passes.

This.

ewing
10-17-2013, 03:47 PM

yep

dtmagnet
10-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Its all because of the Amir Johnson incident last season.

D-Leethal
10-17-2013, 04:09 PM
I sort of liken it to when you see defenses fake injuries in football when they are getting crushed by the hurry up offense. To a lesser extent but the intent is still the same - slow down the other team because you can't keep up (I understand a lot of it happens as a natural instinct at this point, but there are teams that most definitely consciously utilize the lack of delay of game calls to their advantage).

Rockice_8
10-17-2013, 04:17 PM
I sort of liken it to when you see defenses fake injuries in football when they are getting crushed by the hurry up offense. To a lesser extent but the intent is still the same - slow down the other team because you can't keep up (I understand a lot of it happens as a natural instinct at this point, but there are teams that most definitely consciously utilize the lack of delay of game calls to their advantage).

Very true but it's tough for the ref to decide when I guy catches it instinctively or when they are doing it on purpose to slow the other teams fast break.

If it goes through the rim and a player is fighting for position and it happens to go through the net and he catches it and drops it immediately they should let that slide. If he holds it for a few seconds and then turns and flips it back or pushes it to the side and it bounces away then they should be called.

Problem is it's such a fine line. I can't wait to see the outrage if it's one of those borderline calls that affects the outcome of the game. I can see that thread already.

IndyRealist
10-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Very true but it's tough for the ref to decide when I guy catches it instinctively or when they are doing it on purpose to slow the other teams fast break.

If it goes through the rim and a player is fighting for position and it happens to go through the net and he catches it and drops it immediately they should let that slide. If he holds it for a few seconds and then turns and flips it back or pushes it to the side and it bounces away then they should be called.

Problem is it's such a fine line. I can't wait to see the outrage if it's one of those borderline calls that affects the outcome of the game. I can see that thread already.

It's exactly the same issue with flopping. Stamp on it, hard.

D-Leethal
10-17-2013, 04:57 PM

The beauty of the NBA delay of game and the NFL faking of injuries - NBA can just say anyone who does it, intentional or not, is getting a warning/tech.

You can't do that to guys who are faking injuries because they might be legitimately injured. You sure can force them to stop touching the ball after it goes in the net though. They will adapt - they always do - and NOT touching the ball will become habit.

D-Leethal
10-17-2013, 04:59 PM
It's exactly the same issue with flopping. Stamp on it, hard.

I think there is less gray area in this rule. Flopping is closer to the fake injuries because some dudes get legitimately fouled and go flying where that wouldn't be against the rules.

For delay of game, doesn't matter if its intentional or unintentional - its against the rules. This rule is completely black and white compared to the other two.

IndyRealist
10-17-2013, 05:14 PM
I think there is less gray area in this rule. Flopping is closer to the fake injuries because some dudes get legitimately fouled and go flying where that wouldn't be against the rules.

For delay of game, doesn't matter if its intentional or unintentional - its against the rules. This rule is completely black and white compared to the other two.

That makes sense.

MrfadeawayJB
10-17-2013, 05:14 PM
I'm ok with it but if a player catches it and then drops it right away it should not be a delay of game

D-Leethal
10-17-2013, 06:28 PM
I'm ok with it but if a player catches it and then drops it right away it should not be a delay of game

Why? It still kills a good second and maybe even closer to 2. A second off the clock is a lifetime for a team getting back on D. The team getting ready to inbound has every right to grab that ball the second it goes thru the net and push the fast break if thats what they want to do.

kobe4thewinbang
10-18-2013, 12:41 AM
Why? It still kills a good second and maybe even closer to 2. A second off the clock is a lifetime for a team getting back on D. The team getting ready to inbound has every right to grab that ball the second it goes thru the net and push the fast break if thats what they want to do.Well I would assume it would happen out of natural reflexes, no?

MrfadeawayJB
10-18-2013, 12:52 AM

Why? It still kills a good second and maybe even closer to 2. A second off the clock is a lifetime for a team getting back on D. The team getting ready to inbound has every right to grab that ball the second it goes thru the net and push the fast break if thats what they want to do.

Yea basically I'm saying not intentionally catching it but just if it happens instinctually. Plus it's prob quicker to catch and drop than to let it bounce around off legs and such

hornetsfansydne
10-18-2013, 01:22 AM
I like the new rule, brings the NBA back closer to the international game. And there is a simple fix for players who inadvertently grab the ball over a basket, they pass it straight to the player inbounding and not to the official or any other player.