PDA

View Full Version : 6th Annual PSD Player Rankings #10 Player In The NBA? (Volume: VI)

Mile High Champ
10-16-2013, 09:05 AM
Hey guys, It is that time of year again! Once again we kick of the PSD NBA Off-Season Player Rankings. This is the 6th year I have done this on PSD and it always brings some great discussion and debate. Please keep things civil and discuss who you feel is most fitting and deserving of being voted in each poll.

A lot has changed since last season. Lebron James and the Miami Heat are back to back NBA champions after an exciting 7 game series win over the Spurs. Let start the discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 5 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

In terms of adding players to the poll, it will be done like this.

As soon as Tony Parkerl goes off the board, I will add other PG's.
As soon as Dwyane Wade goes off the board, I will add other SG's
As soon as Kevin Love goes off the board, I will add other PF's.

And so on and so on..

This is to ensure that players that won their respective positions get a higher place in the list. One of the goals of these polls is to maintain some continuity between the polls we completed to the final player poll we are currently voting.

2013 NBA Off-Season Player Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Chris Paul
4) Tim Duncan
5) James Harden
6) Kobe Bryant
7) Carmelo Anthony
8) Tony Parker
9) Dwight Howard
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)

2012 NBA Off-Season Player Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Dwight Howard
4) Chris Paul
5) Kobe Bryant
6) Dwyane Wade
7) Kevin Love
8) Derrick Rose
9) Dirk Nowitzki
10) Russell Westbrook
11) Carmelo Anthony
12) Deron Williams
13) Andrew Bynum
14) Rajon Rondo
15) Tony Parker & Kevin Garnett

2011 Off-Season Best Player Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Dwight Howard
3) Dwyane Wade
4) Chris Paul
5) Dirk Nowitzki
6) Kobe Bryant
7) Kevin Durant
8) Derrick Rose
9) Deron Williams
10) Carmelo Anthony

2010 Off-Season Best Player Rankings

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Lebron James
3) Dwyane Wade
4) Kevin Durant
5) Chris Paul
6) Dwight Howard
7) Carmelo Anthony
8) Dirk Nowitzki
9) Deron Williams
10) Tim Duncan - Pau Gasol Tie

2009 Off-Season Best Player Rankings

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Lebron James
3) Dwayne Wade
4) Chris Paul
5) Dwight Howard
6) Tim Duncan
7) Dirk Nowitzki
8) Carmelo Anthony
9) Kevin Garnett
10) Brandon Roy

nycericanguy
10-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Wade... theres no way he's not a top 10 player... should have gone 5 -8

Duncan at 4, Harden at 5... Wade at 10...

this years list is really bad.

SugeKnight
10-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Westbrook

tredigs
10-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Love Iggy and he's easily the best defender outside of Gasol here, but this is a 4 horse race.

Can't go Love, it's just been too long since he's played at a top 10 level. We'll get him next year.

Leaves Westbrook, Wade and Gasol. Leaning Westbrook, but I'll see if we can't get any good discussion going first.

mightybosstone
10-16-2013, 10:33 AM
I voted Westbrook. Love and Iggy don't belong in this discussion due to Love's injury issues last season, so it's clearly between Westy, Wade and Gasol. Gasol was the next one eliminated in my mind. I love the guy's game, and there's no doubt he has a significant impact defensively and is a very versatile offensive player, but I couldn't put a center with a 13.1 TRB% and a 19.2 USG% in the top 10. If he was a terrific rebounder or a more reliable go-to scorer, I'd consider him. But he's neither.

That leaves only Wade and Westbrook, whose games are quite similar: tenacious, athletic defenders who lack range offensively, but compensate for it with speed, athleticism and ability to get to the free throw line. Their advanced stats were even eerily similar last season, with nearly identical PER and WS/48. Wade gets a significant edge in scoring efficiency, while Westy has a major lead in AST% and RAPM.

So, the best way to decide this, considering it's an annually updated list of top players and how they have most recently performed is to examine how these two played when we last saw them. That's where Westy gets a huge edge. While Wade had a handful of really good games in the playoffs, he often looked like a shadow of himself despite Lebron getting most of the defensive attention. His 49.8 TS%, 18.7 PER and .108 WS/48 were the third worst of his career in the postseason. Westbrook, meanwhile, was killing the Rockets before his injury, posting a 24/7/7/3 with a 25.6 PER and a .144 WS/48. I think it's safe to say Westy would have had a superior postseason to Wade if he doesn't get hurt.

So the answer is clearly Westbrook. Also, if this had gone to 11 (random Spinal Tap reference), I would have given Curry the edge over Wade as well.

b@llhog24
10-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Wanted to go Gasol, but couldn't pass up Westy.

b@llhog24
10-16-2013, 10:59 AM
I voted Westbrook. Love and Iggy don't belong in this discussion due to Love's injury issues last season, so it's clearly between Westy, Wade and Gasol. Gasol was the next one eliminated in my mind. I love the guy's game, and there's no doubt he has a significant impact defensively and is a very versatile offensive player, but I couldn't put a center with a 13.1 TRB% and a 19.2 USG% in the top 10. If he was a terrific rebounder or a more reliable go-to scorer, I'd consider him. But he's neither.

That leaves only Wade and Westbrook, whose games are quite similar: tenacious, athletic defenders who lack range offensively, but compensate for it with speed, athleticism and ability to get to the free throw line. Their advanced stats were even eerily similar last season, with nearly identical PER and WS/48. Wade gets a significant edge in scoring efficiency, while Westy has a major lead in AST% and RAPM.

So, the best way to decide this, considering it's an annually updated list of top players and how they have most recently performed is to examine how these two played when we last saw them. That's where Westy gets a huge edge. While Wade had a handful of really good games in the playoffs, he often looked like a shadow of himself despite Lebron getting most of the defensive attention. His 19.8 TS%, 18.7 PER and .108 WS/48 were the third worst of his career in the postseason. Westbrook, meanwhile, was killing the Rockets before his injury, posting a 24/7/7/3 with a 25.6 PER and a .144 WS/48. I think it's safe to say Westy would have had a superior postseason to Wade if he doesn't get hurt.

So the answer is clearly Westbrook. Also, if this had gone to 11 (random Spinal Tap reference), I would have given Curry the edge over Wade as well.

I think it's going to 15 this year.

mightybosstone
10-16-2013, 11:07 AM
I think it's going to 15 this year.

Ahhh... In that case, I'll save my Curry comments for No. 11.

SugeKnight
10-16-2013, 11:53 AM
I voted Gasol, actually. I was 50/50 between him and Westbrook but since Centers are harder to find than PGs I gave Gasol the nod.

Jamiecballer
10-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Melo at 7 is crazy. Hard to recover after that brain fart.

NYKnickFanatic
10-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Melo at 7 is crazy. Hard to recover after that brain fart.

But Harden at 5, you're okay with? Give me a break.

mightybosstone
10-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Harden is better than Melo and both belong in the top 10. Both of you quit your *****ing.

Bruno
10-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Westbrook marginally over Gasol, both of whom should have gone before dwight.

NYKnickFanatic
10-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Harden is better than Melo and both belong in the top 10. Both of you quit your *****ing.

The other guy was *****ing, so don't get confused.

And lol at you trying to turn it into a Harden vs Melo thing...

sunsfan88
10-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Westbrook or Gasol. I went with Russel though. We all saw how much OKC sucked without Westbrook.

Jamiecballer
10-16-2013, 02:28 PM
But Harden at 5, you're okay with? Give me a break.

i don't know if i'd put Harden 5 exactly but definitely top 10. and i didn't *****. i said it was crazy, which it is.

NYMetros
10-16-2013, 04:07 PM
So is Rose just completely eliminated from this poll? I would have taken him like 4th or 5th.

I'll go with Westbrook here though. A fine player in his own right and one of my favorites to watch. So electric, great quickness and gets to the rim so well and an improving jump shot.

tredigs
10-16-2013, 04:14 PM
So is Rose just completely eliminated from this poll? I would have taken him like 4th or 5th.

I'll go with Westbrook here though. A fine player in his own right and one of my favorites to watch. So electric, great quickness and gets to the rim so well and an improving jump shot.
From his production 3 seasons ago, er?

BklynKnicks3
10-16-2013, 04:46 PM
Lmao the question is who is dumber psd for putting Kobe ahead of Melo or espn for putting him 25th because anyone with a half of brain knows Kobe is between 5-7

tredigs
10-16-2013, 05:00 PM
I wonder what % of society actually thinks they themselves might be the dumb ones. I'm guessing half a percent?

5ass
10-16-2013, 05:11 PM
I wonder what % of society actually thinks they themselves might be the dumb ones. I'm guessing half a percent?

I wonder if they'd ever realize that if they can just argue there stance instead of calling people dumb people might actually respect their opinion.

NYMetros
10-16-2013, 05:15 PM
From his production 3 seasons ago, er?

The fact that he got injured means he's not an elite player? Doesn't make much sense to me.

tredigs
10-16-2013, 05:27 PM
The fact that he got injured means he's not an elite player? Doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm just asking, because obviously we have a goose egg for him in 2013 (despite being cleared to play for months, which honestly should not go entirely unchecked), and in 2011/12 he was definitely not playing at a top 5 level. So, it must be from 3 seasons ago that people go off when harking Rose as top 5 is my best guess.

But yes, because he got injured. The same reasons nearly all elite players fall from grace.

ManningToTyree
10-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Wade again

mightybosstone
10-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Westbrook marginally over Gasol, both of whom should have gone before dwight.
If we're ranking players based solely on last season, I'd agree with you about Dwight. But I still think a 100% healthy and happy Dwight playing on a team where he's a good fit (aka Houston), is a top 5-10 guy for sure.

The other guy was *****ing, so don't get confused.

And lol at you trying to turn it into a Harden vs Melo thing...
If I'm not mistaken, you were the one who turned it into a Harden vs. Melo thing by commenting on Harden's ranking in relation to someone else's complaint about Melo's ranking.

NYKnickFanatic
10-17-2013, 09:32 AM
If we're ranking players based solely on last season, I'd agree with you about Dwight. But I still think a 100% healthy and happy Dwight playing on a team where he's a good fit (aka Houston), is a top 5-10 guy for sure.

If I'm not mistaken, you were the one who turned it into a Harden vs. Melo thing by commenting on Harden's ranking in relation to someone else's complaint about Melo's ranking.

No, that wasn't turning it into a Melo vs Harden thing, I just asked if he was okay with where Harden was ranked. I didn't come out and say, "Oh look at Harden at 5, Melo is better than him", you did that.

mightybosstone
10-17-2013, 09:45 AM
No, that wasn't turning it into a Melo vs Harden thing, I just asked if he was okay with where Harden was ranked. I didn't come out and say, "Oh look at Harden at 5, Melo is better than him", you did that.

Let's not be children. You made a comment which clearly inferred you questioning Harden's ranking after someone else questioned Melo's ranking. My assumption was a fairly simple, obvious one. If you're going to take a jab at Harden, I'm going to defend the guy, regardless of how subtle your comment was.

NYKnickFanatic
10-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Let's not be children. You made a comment which clearly inferred you questioning Harden's ranking after someone else questioned Melo's ranking. My assumption was a fairly simple, obvious one. If you're going to take a jab at Harden, I'm going to defend the guy, regardless of how subtle your comment was.

I wasn't taking a jab at Harden. Harden is a great player, but he should not be ranked 5th. On that note, I'm done talking about this. Keep on if you'd like.

Baller1
10-17-2013, 01:48 PM
Parker and Dwight fell too far and should've been above both Kobe and Melo. Wade is falling too far down and should be ahead of Parker, Kobe, and Melo. Westbrook should be ahead of Kobe and Melo. Not sure how Kobe and Melo went so high, especially considering Melo is one dimensional and doesn't win, and Kobe is coming off of an Achilles tear in the same season that he couldn't even take an All-Star roster anywhere (2004 déjà vu).

Bruno
10-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Parker and Dwight fell too far and should've been above both Kobe and Melo. Wade is falling too far down and should be ahead of Parker, Kobe, and Melo. Westbrook should be ahead of Kobe and Melo. Not sure how Kobe and Melo went so high, especially considering Melo is one dimensional and doesn't win, and Kobe is coming off of an Achilles tear in the same season that he couldn't even take an All-Star roster anywhere (2004 déjà vu).

this is a ridiculous analysis, LA was devastated by injuries last year. Kobe, Howard, Gasol, Nash and Artest combined to miss 88 games last season including playoffs. despite this they still got the seven spot and Kobe finished top five in MVP voting.

kobe didn't even play in the post-season. were you expecting him to take them somewhere on crutches?

not only is not deja vu, but since when is going to the finals 'not taking an all-star roster anywhere' :confused: the only correlation between 2004 and 2013 is the fact that the front office put together a lousy bench and went all in with three aging players.

jerellh528
10-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Easily Westbrook