PDA

View Full Version : They played together??

DreamShaker
10-15-2013, 01:14 AM
I did a similar thread recently where I talked about guys who played for teams that when you think back on it, just feel odd. This time I ask of you to think on some guys who really seem odd to think about being teammates, even though they actually were. I'll get started with a few:

MJ and George Gervin
Robert Parish and MJ/Pippen
Dirk and Dennis Rodman
Patrick Ewing and T-Mac
Penny Hardaway, Jason Kidd, Kevin Johnson (all at the same time)

So what are some you can think of?

BullsNumber1Fan
10-15-2013, 01:19 AM
Is it weird that as soon as I saw this thread I knew that you were talking about MJ and George Gervin?:laugh2:

I didn't know Dirk and Dennis played together though. That's an interesting one.

tredigs
10-15-2013, 01:59 AM
I thought about this the other day when I was checking out the 80's Celtics and saw that Pistol Pete Maravich was actually on the Celtics for Bird's rookie year.

Here's some other fun ones I know of:

Hakeem playing with Vince Carter on the Raptors.
Wilt Chamberlain playing with Pat Riley on the Lakers.
Steve Nash / J. Kidd / Sam Cassell / Kevin Johnson all played on the 97 Suns. And despite handing out the most assists probably on any team in NBA history (KJ and J. Kidd averaged 9+ apg each alone), weren't very good.

In this thread 20 years from now a popular answer will be Karl Malone playing with Shaq/Kobe.

SanPitte
10-15-2013, 02:53 AM
I thought about this the other day when I was checking out the 80's Celtics and saw that Pistol Pete Maravich was actually on the Celtics for Bird's rookie year.

Here's some other fun ones I know of:

Hakeem playing with Vince Carter on the Raptors.
Wilt Chamberlain playing with Pat Riley on the Lakers.
Steve Nash / J. Kidd / Sam Cassell / Kevin Johnson all played on the 97 Suns. And despite handing out the most assists probably on any team in NBA history (KJ and J. Kidd averaged 9+ apg each alone), weren't very good.

In this thread 20 years from now a popular answer will be Karl Malone playing with Shaq/Kobe.

Cassell was traded for J Kidd, they never played together, but they did have Johnson,Kidd and Nash playing together...

TmacBryant
10-15-2013, 02:57 AM
Chauncey Billups and Garnett in 2000

odiz
10-15-2013, 03:08 AM
MJ and Kwame Brown
Shaq and Lebron
Shaq and KG
Pippen and Eddy Curry

tredigs
10-15-2013, 03:39 AM
^I was thinking about MJ and Kwame. That's a ridiculous one.

Cassell was traded for J Kidd, they never played together, but they did have Johnson,Kidd and Nash playing together...

OK that makes much more sense. I remembered KJ / Kidd / Nash together and was checking out the team and saw Cassell there too. I was trying to figure out how he fit in with KJ and Kidd's minutes. I forgot that was the deal.

ThuglifeJ
10-15-2013, 03:52 AM
Some of the ones mentioned just are strange.

Shawn Kemp or Ewing and Tmac just feels like it didn't happen to me.

For a recent one to me Vince Carter, Nash and Hill played 36 games together. Something I will never remember happening.

Tmac as a Knick/piston/hawk too.

Its crazy how many similarities Vince and Tmac have had

asandhu23
10-15-2013, 10:32 AM
A few years from now... Kobe played with Dwight Howard???????

mightybosstone
10-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Pippen in Houston with Hakeem and Barkley.
Robert Parrish with MJ and Pippen in Chicago.
Barkley, Dr. J and Moses Malone in Philly. (Strange that they had that much talent from 70s, 80s and 90s)
Payton and Malone with Shaq and Kobe in LA.
Dennis Rodman with Dirk and Nash in Dallas.
Shaq with Phoenix, Cleveland and Boston.
Pete Maravich in Boston with Bird, Cowens and Maxwell.
Dominique Wilkins with Penny Hardaway in Orlando and David Robinson in San Antonio.

A decade from now, people will look back at McGrady's career and say, "WTF? McGrady nearly won a ring with Duncan and Parker in San Antonio?"

SanPitte
10-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Rasheed Wallace, Steve Smith, Damon Stoudamire, Detlef Schrempf, Arvydas Sabonis, Scottie Pippen, Shawn Kemp, Bonzi Wells, Dale Davis, Rod Strickland, Greg Anthony, Stacey Augmon

That's the roster of the 2001 Blazers

I Rock Shaqs
10-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Chauncey Billups, Tmac & Marcus Camby were on the 97-98 Raptors lol.

Chronz
10-15-2013, 12:35 PM
Dr.J and Pistol Pete

DreamShaker
10-15-2013, 04:38 PM
Dr.J and Pistol Pete

Really?? When did they play together?

DreamShaker
10-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Rasheed Wallace, Steve Smith, Damon Stoudamire, Detlef Schrempf, Arvydas Sabonis, Scottie Pippen, Shawn Kemp, Bonzi Wells, Dale Davis, Rod Strickland, Greg Anthony, Stacey Augmon

That's the roster of the 2001 Blazers

That is pretty weird. Especially Kemp. I had no idea Plastic Man or Anthony were there either.

SanPitte
10-15-2013, 07:01 PM
Really?? When did they play together?

according to wikipedia, they played together before the 72-73 season when Dr J signed with the Hawks after being drafted by the Bucks, but still had a contract with the Virginia Squires...

so many what ifs...
if he had stayed with the Squires, he would have played more with George Gervin.
with the Bucks that season, he would have played with Kareem and Oscar
with the Hawks, he would have played with Pete, Lou Hudson and Walt Bellamy

hugepatsfan
10-15-2013, 08:28 PM
I feel like we all know about it now because it was recent but the next generation will look back at KG and Shaq like this.

5ass
10-15-2013, 08:44 PM
Shaq and kobe
Mj and pippen
Magic and kareem
Bird and mchale

This post is dedicated to amoser and dellusionist ;)

tmacsc2
10-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Kemp and Zydrunas in Cle for 3 years.

Kemp, mike miller, grant hill, Tmac in Orlando

Payton. Redd. Desmond mason, Tony Kukoc in Milwaukee for half a season.

Shaq, wade, Payton, J Will in Miami

Bruno
10-15-2013, 09:03 PM
check this one out.

The 1995 San Antonio Spurs had FOUR future NBA head coaches on the roster. Doc Rivers, Vinny Del Negro, Avery Johnson, and Monty Williams all suited up for the Spurs in 1995-1996 and all were active on their playoff roster. This is pre-Popovich.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199604260SAS.html