PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Epidemic

kingsdelez24
10-14-2013, 04:02 PM
I've noticed over the past few years that more and more teams have been tanking to the point where they actually decide to hold out their healthy stars from playing to secure their pick (al la Nerlens Noel, possibly shutting him down all season) and talks of the raptors already blowing up their talented roster for Wiggins.

Is it just me or teams never used to do this as much?

RipCity32
10-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Cleveland has mastered the trade.

ChildishGambino
10-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Noel is coming off an acl tear, he's not due back until around christmas anyway. i don't think he'd be the difference between the sixers being a horrible team or not.

abe_froman
10-14-2013, 04:38 PM
noel has actual health problems,they are well known,this isnt holding out a healthy player
and the raps have a talent roster? are you crazy

oh and they have always done this(see spurs keeping robinson out for td,bulls holding mj back for a shot at pippen,ralph sampson being held out for hakeem,wade being held out for beasley,ect.)

2-ONE-5
10-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Noel is not healthy and isnt evn expected back til Jan at the earliest. He probably will play when ready but we arent gonna rush back and risk his health when we are not competiting. Hes also not gonna affect our tank effort anyway if he makes it to the court

mightybosstone
10-14-2013, 05:16 PM
noel has actual health problems,they are well known,this isnt holding out a healthy player

oh and they have always done this(see spurs keeping robinson out for td,bulls holding mj back for a shot at pippen,ralph sampson being held out for hakeem,wade being held out for beasley,ect.)

I was going to make these exact points, but now I don't have to.

Chrisclover
10-14-2013, 09:13 PM
spurs keeping robinson out for td? wasnt Robinson badly injured?

HoopsMachine
10-15-2013, 10:01 AM
Well this sort of thing comes with territory particularly when you have a highly anticipated talented draft class.

kdspurman
10-15-2013, 10:09 AM
spurs keeping robinson out for td? wasnt Robinson badly injured?

Yea he had a back injury, played for 6 games then fractured his foot.

ManRam
10-15-2013, 10:11 AM
I think we need to stop calling what teams like Orlando, Philly, Cleveland etc. have done/are doing "tanking" and call it what it really is: "rebuilding". Or even better, "rebuilding wisely".

This isn't an entirely new phenomenon, but front offices have gotten smarter and considering how player-oriented the league is it certainly is becoming a more prevalent thing. But I don't think it's a negative thing. The end game is more parity.

FlashBolt
10-15-2013, 11:37 AM
SAC and Cleveland are prime examples. Can't blame them though. It's honestly the best way to form a contending squad if you're a team that doesn't attract the big nams.