PDA

View Full Version : Is Anthony Davis the NBA's next great star?

Il Mago50
10-14-2013, 03:50 PM
http://gambleguru.sportsblog.com/post/278279/anthony_davis_and_the_new.html

Through his first four preseason games, Anthony Davis has been nothing short of fantastic. Although he was injury plagued for a large portion of last season, we saw a lot of glimpses that he could be a great in this league. With a versatile game, game changing shot blocking ability and a lot of ball skills that players at that size and position just don't possess commonly, I see the rise of Davis' star into one of the brightest in the league this season.

What do you guys think of Davis' chances of becoming one of the great big men in the NBA?

tredigs
10-14-2013, 04:05 PM
That's the plans for #1 picks right?

He does look great, if he stays healthy he'll have a big year.

Il Mago50
10-14-2013, 04:45 PM
I think so too, I honestly think he'll be mentioned in the top 10-15 players in the league by season's end.

MrfadeawayJB
10-14-2013, 09:51 PM
As long as he can stay healthy his ceiling is very high. A matchup nightmare around the league, especially if he can play the pf position

Chronz
10-14-2013, 10:30 PM
Question shouldn't be IF, it should be WHEN.

kobe4thewinbang
10-14-2013, 11:17 PM
He's got some talent, but he's not lighting any fires in N'awlins. Does he even have a decent jump shot?

JerseyPalahniuk
10-14-2013, 11:19 PM
He's got some talent, but he's not lighting any fires in N'awlins. Does he even have a decent jump shot?

Is that all that matters?

FlashBolt
10-14-2013, 11:41 PM

Is that all that matters?

Did Shaq have a jumpshot? I know no one can probably duplicate Shaq's style of play but shooting a jumpshot isn't everything. Anthony Davis has huge potential to be an elite player. Reminds me a lot of a lesser Garnett.

HoopsMachine
10-15-2013, 09:59 AM
He's already there imo, he just needs to stay healthy and the team needs to play above .500 and he will definitely get the recognition. I will be surprised if he doesn't get his first all-star bid this season.

todu82
10-15-2013, 11:09 AM
I think he's going to be a good 1 for a long time but let's see how he does over the course of a full season before we proclaim him as a top tier talent.

kobe4thewinbang
10-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Are people honestly trying to compare him to Shaq? C'mon, now. Shaq-Lite, maybe. That's why I say he needs a reliable jumpshot.

heyman321
10-15-2013, 12:39 PM
I believe so Ive been high on him since he got drafted and he is looking like he'll average 20/10 this year. RETURN OF THE 20/10!

Steelers23_06
10-15-2013, 12:59 PM
i honestly think hes overrated. i think he could be a solid starter in a league of weak bigs but i feel with talents coming out the high school and college that the big man position is going to be resurected and hes going to be overshadowed by them (jahlil okafor, julius randle, myles turner). these guys all are already levels ahead of davis on offense. and imo i view an offensive big as more of a threat then a defensive. thats pretty much the difference in shaq and dwight aside from the mentality of course. also i feel 5 years from now he'll be a top ten big but between these guys i mentioned plus the bigs we already have in the league that still have prime years left/havent hit their prime (bosh, griffin, dwight, hibbert) i see it hard for him to crack that top five in the next 5 years.

b@llhog24
10-15-2013, 01:16 PM
Are people honestly trying to compare him to Shaq? C'mon, now. Shaq-Lite, maybe. That's why I say he needs a reliable jumpshot.

That's what you got from that post? Are you trying to be difficult?

nolafan33
10-15-2013, 01:40 PM

More than decent.

MonroeFAN
10-15-2013, 01:42 PM
meh

nolafan33
10-15-2013, 02:00 PM
I've said this before, but it really seems like some people are still fixated on what Davis was believed to be based on what he did at Kentucky. He really didn't do much outside of lobs and putbacks at Kentucky, and that's what we all saw in scouting reports leading up to the draft.

However, there were some insiders who talked to coaches, scouts, etc who said his offensive game is much better than what he was able to display at Kentucky. But because we hadn't seen it, this was sort of taken with a grain of salt.

Fast forward to now, we've seen two offseasons, two team USA assignments, two training camps, two preseasons, and one regular season of what he can really do. And it's really nothing short of spectacular. I'm not exaggerating, he can do all of this:

-He has a reliable midrange jump shot that seems to have gained more range on it
-He has the ability to put the ball on the floor to get off his own jumper
-He has the ability to put the ball on the floor to get into the lane and convert a layup or dunk
-He has a nice hook shot and up and under move in the post
-He converts at a very high percentage from anywhere around the rim
-He has elite body control at only 20 yrs old, he can maneuver himself anyway he needs to, to get the best angle
-He was already one of the best rim runners in the league last season as a rookie on the pick and roll
-He can run the baseline and find the openings to convert easy dunks or layups
-He runs the open floor like a wing
-He converts his free throws at a good rate

At only the age of 20, he already is very close to having a complete offensive game and will only get better this season and beyond. He's the brightest young star in the NBA.

Clippersfan86
10-15-2013, 03:42 PM
You're going to far. Last year his jumper was below average, his shot creation was average and he was near the league leaders in ASSISTED field goals. Meaning very little of his offense came from creating or isolation. His post game on offense isn't too varied, most of his post buckets came off lobs, cuts and tip ins... not hook shots or post moves.

The only core things you said that were correct is he's elite scoring at the rim, excellent running the floor, good free throw shooter. When you said things like "very close to having a complete offensive game" etc.. it's hyperbole because he's really not close to that level.

Clippersfan86
10-15-2013, 03:46 PM
To answer the OP what do you mean next great bigman? Like next bigman to go from non all star to a star? Or do you mean face of the league or something? He's going to likely be a perennial all star, a top PF for years and a HOF if he can stay healthy and keeps working. "Next great star" to me though... I think of the face of the league, MVP winner and legend in NBA history and I don't think he will be that, if that's what you wonder.

nolafan33
10-15-2013, 05:51 PM
You're going to far. Last year his jumper was below average, his shot creation was average and he was near the league leaders in ASSISTED field goals. Meaning very little of his offense came from creating or isolation. His post game on offense isn't too varied, most of his post buckets came off lobs, cuts and tip ins... not hook shots or post moves.

The only core things you said that were correct is he's elite scoring at the rim, excellent running the floor, good free throw shooter. When you said things like "very close to having a complete offensive game" etc.. it's hyperbole because he's really not close to that level.

Are we talking about last season or this season?

Heck, if you're talking about last season are you talking about the first half of the season or the second half of the season? Because his game varies from what he was doing early last season and what he was doing at the end of it.

TimeForAHoliday
10-15-2013, 08:46 PM
i honestly think hes overrated. i think he could be a solid starter in a league of weak bigs but i feel with talents coming out the high school and college that the big man position is going to be resurected and hes going to be overshadowed by them (jahlil okafor, julius randle, myles turner). these guys all are already levels ahead of davis on offense. and imo i view an offensive big as more of a threat then a defensive. thats pretty much the difference in shaq and dwight aside from the mentality of course. also i feel 5 years from now he'll be a top ten big but between these guys i mentioned plus the bigs we already have in the league that still have prime years left/havent hit their prime (bosh, griffin, dwight, hibbert) i see it hard for him to crack that top five in the next 5 years.

Levels ahead? Davis has such an underrated offensive game, jesus christ.

TimeForAHoliday
10-15-2013, 08:48 PM

Are we talking about the past or the future here? You're a smart poster. Help me out.

Bruno
10-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Davis will dominate this league when he's in his prime. In five years he will be racking NBA first teams and maybe a MVP by the time he hangs 'em up, depending on team success.

Ebbs
10-15-2013, 11:51 PM
Him and Drummond is going to be fun

Chronz
10-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Are we talking about last season or this season?

Heck, if you're talking about last season are you talking about the first half of the season or the second half of the season? Because his game varies from what he was doing early last season and what he was doing at the end of it.

Gotta agree with blakefan, we need a full seasons worth of games before we start making so much out of 2nd half /preseason performances.

Clippersfan86
10-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Are we talking about the past or the future here? You're a smart poster. Help me out.

You said right now he's close to having a complete game, unless I read that incorrectly. I wasn't talking about the future.

FlashBolt
10-17-2013, 12:03 AM

Shaq-lite is still a comparison to Shaq.. What are you referencing? +, I compared him to Garnett; not Shaq.

tredigs
10-17-2013, 10:25 AM

Just to be clear, this is the guy you're talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPw6P52UBJU

kduce
10-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Him and Drummond is going to be fun

You can't talk about future big men without someone mentioning Drummond and as a Detroit Pistons fan that really does have my cheesin haha. As for Davis I see him becoming a top player in the league for years to come but I don't know if he will be as big as Durant or Lebron. I am excites to see how the NBA plays out over the next few years, there has been some really interesting talent coming to it!

Shlumpledink
10-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Number 1 picks carry a higher notoriety than other picks already. He just needs to string together a good year, he's already pretty close to being a household name with his number 1 pick status.