PDA

View Full Version : NBA Re-Draft Playoffs: Tampa Bay (2) vs Atlantic City (3) - OVERTIME

Sadds The Gr8
10-14-2013, 12:31 AM
Every summer, PSD holds a game where GM's re-draft players to see who creates the best team. This year, users from the site had to utilize their skills via draft, trades. At the end of the game, GMs voted on how they believed the regular season of this game would shake up. These are the playoffs of PSD's 2013 NBA Re-Draft

Please take the time to consider each line up, the match-up itself, and vote on which team you believe would win in a seven game series.

TAMPA BAY HAS HOME COURT ADVANTAGE

Tampa Bay Depth Chart:

PG: Deron Williams | Jeremy Lin | Jimmer Fredette
SG: Avery Bradley | Jodie Meeks Mill
SF: Chandler Parsons | Chase Budinger
PF: David Lee | Nick Collison | Lamar Odom
C: Larry Sanders | Chris Wilcox

Atlantic City Depth Chart:

C: Marcin Gortat | Samuel Dalembert
PF: Taj Gibson | Earl Clark | Hakim Warrick
SF: LeBron James | Terrence Jones | Markieff Morris
SG: Klay Thompson | Marco Belinelli
PG: Brandon Jennings | Chauncey Billups

Tampa Bay Writeup:

Congrats to rosh and ebbs on their team. Before I begin, I just want to say that I feel like this is pretty much the NBA finals because Atlantic City is probably the best team after mine.

Jennings on this team is a HUGE liability. There seems to be a notion that all scoring chucking guards can play with Lebron well but that's not true. Unlike Mo, Jennings can't play as a spot up shooter. He's a career sub-500 TS% 40% FG. He's not a very good playmaker. He won't play a lick of defense on Deron. THe NEW Deron post-Avery Johnson is absolutely going to crush Jennings. Williams was resurrected following the new coach, and went on to score 23 PPG on 48 FG% and 42 3PT%. Against Jennings, Deron will likely score more than that on the same efficiency, if not better

SG: Klay Thompson vs. Avery Bradley
Klay is a dope spot up shooter, a perfect fit with Lebron. Unfortunately for him he's going up against the best on-ball defender in the league. Avery is deadlyyyyy sporting defensive PPP .73 which is BEST among all shooting guards. Bradley will be rotating all across the perimeter and Klay will have Parsons, Deron, MEEKS as well all covering him at times. The plan is, if we can stick Avery hard onto Klay early on, and get him to miss some early shots, he'll fall out of rhythm and we can ease up the D a little bit with rotating players guarding him at different times. Thompson, like all shooters, is streaky and the rotation defense seems to be his weakness. After his 34 point outburst in Game 2, Thompson struggled the rest of teh WCF as the spurs made adjustments and he only had a 33 FG%. This will make it really tough on Klay offensively, because he will have to adjust between being defended by smaller, pesky defenders such as Avery and Meeks and overpowering bigger players like Parsons. This rotating defense will cause a lot of problems to Klay. Btw, Avery only allows 29% 3 point % to opposing players. Offensively, we don't expect much from Avery. Klay is a stout defender and willl make it tough on him. However, look for Avery to get his points on cuts to the basket since AC doesn't have a great rim presence.

SF:Lebron vs Chandler Parsons
We can't stop Lebron but we do have a plan to contain him. Basically we will have a perimeter and paint defender for him. When Lebron has the ball on the perimter, we will stick him with either Parsons or Avery. Lebron has beasted Parsons in the past and might be able to steamroll Avery (though Avery does have a 6'8 wingspan and if Rondo can defend Lebron, Avery can defend him even better and will be a pesky little defender on him), but then we will have Larry Sanders waiting in the post for him. Sanders will be containing the paint since Atlantic City has no post presence at all. Sanders is EXTREMELY mobile for his size, has a freakishly large wingspan of 7'7. and was THE BEST RIM protector in the NBA last season. READ HERE Opposing players shoot 34% FG inthe paint against Sanders. Lebron will do better, but we can contain him for sure, I don't think anyone has a better plan for defending Lebron than us

i have to go to work now but the other positions are self-explanatory. we have the best offensive and defensive big men in this series. our bench is superior. i'll say more later

Atlantic City Writeup:

1. Brandon Jennings vs. Deron Williams

31, 34, 26, 17. No, those aren't Deron's numbers versus Jennings, that's Jennings versus Deron. 67%, 38%, 57%, 50%. That's Jennings from deep versus Deron, who is one of the worst spot up defenders in the NBA. Jennings gets up to play against the best. He has LeBron James creating for him and he has one of the worst spot up defenders in the league guarding him. Jennings won't be handling the ball nearly as much as he did in Milwaukee. What does that mean? More spot-up opportunities from deep. And Deron clearly hasn't been able to guard Jennings from the three point line, or for that matter anyone from the three point line allowing an insane 46% from 3 in spot up opportunities. That's a field day for Jennings, who's a huge x-factor in this series.

2. LeBron James vs. Chandler Parsons

This is the biggest mismatch of the series. LeBron in the playoffs 26-8-7. 5.2 WS. 59% TS%. He's the best player in the league. In the playoffs against a top defender he dominated the last two games to win the series against the Pacers. LeBron opens up the floor for his teammates. He has the spacing, he has the second options and has the defensive help on this team. Parsons? They wanna use Parsons' stats versus LeBron? Goes two ways. LeBron vs. Parsons: 34 PPG | 8 Rbs | 5 Assts. 55% FG%, 9 FTA per game. He dominated Parsons in all their matchups. And in the playoffs? LeBron takes it to another level. The best player on the planet versus and up and coming player with minimal experience. This just is not a good matchup at all for Tampa Bay. Parsons has shown zero ability to stop LeBron.

3. Klay Thompson

In the playoffs Klay showed the ability to be a great second option while defending the opposing team's best player. The guy is a lights out shooter and with LeBron, he would get more opportunities to score than ever. Klay coming off of screens and getting open looks from LeBron would be impossible to stop. He's not the player Dwyane Wade is, but his ability to space the floor makes him an ideal fit for this team.

4. Defensive Front Court

This squad has the best defensive front court in the game. Taj and Gortat are both plus defenders and some say LeBron is the best defender on the planet. LeBron's ability to make an impact defensively is second to none, as every single team he's been on has been a top defensive team. Now he has two anchors in the post that can play strong man to man defense are good help defenders. I have a hard time seeing Deron penetrating this defense and getting his teammates open looks. After Deron, is there any other person that can create his own shot that Tampa can rely on? Because if Parsons wants to take on LeBron James 1-1, in the playoffs, we will take that any day. With Taj's ability to lock down opposing PF's and Gortat's rebounding ability and quality help D, this team has too much defense where it counts for Tampa Bay to take advantage.

All in all, LeBron has quality scoring threats as well as the best defensive front court in the league. He's got the spacing, rebounding and defense. He hasn't lost in the second round since his Cleveland days to a stacked Celtcis team. I have an incredibly hard time believing that Chandler Parsons will be able to even hinder LeBron's performance, and we have the counters to the scoring threats of Tampa Bay. Jennings is a huge x-factor in this series and getting him open looks against an awful defender in DWill will be huge. And late in the game, Deron is one of the worst clutch players in the league, while LeBron just showed the world that he's the best. Atlantic City takes this in a tough 7 game series.

Sadds The Gr8
10-14-2013, 12:32 AM
Matchup is only 24 hours since it's an OT. GET VOTES IN PEOPLE!

AI
10-14-2013, 12:40 AM
Tampa Bay wins this in 6.

vitamins_
10-14-2013, 01:00 AM
ATL in 5, even thought my boy Parsons is on tampa i have to go with ATL.... I say this because taj is balling in the preseason. Lebron is just a beast, and mixing him with taj, klay, and Gorts, i think its hands down atl

roshan3ai
10-14-2013, 01:22 AM
AC is the better team.

Sportfan
10-14-2013, 05:31 AM
What a great ****ing night. The pats comeback with 5 seconds left, and I wake up to see the Red Sox win and Tampa forces overtime!!!!

Can a mod please sticky this it's pretty much the best 2 teams in the mock!

Eagles4Lyfe
10-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Tampa babyyy

mightybosstone
10-14-2013, 12:46 PM
This was such a tough decision that I didn't vote the first time around. I do think Tampa Bay is the better constructed basketball team and makes more sense on paper, but I just don't think that team is good enough to beat Lebron with the pieces he has around him. Thompson is an ideal wing complement and Gortat would be an excellent pick and roll option. Combine that with what is probably the best front court defense in the game, and I just have a hard time giving Tampa Bay the edge.

Parsons, Lee and D-Will would certainly make this a tough series which would go at least six games, but Atlantic City would win on the strength of Lebron's performances.

DR_1
10-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Tampa. Don't know how they even needed overtime.

mightybosstone
10-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Tampa. Don't know how they even needed overtime.

I think you and a lot of voters are seriously underrating Lebron's impact. Look at what he did in the last postseason with Bosh and Wade totally underachieving, and he still willed that team to series victories against Indiana and San Antonio. Both of those teams were better constructed basketball teams on paper and had serious matchup advantaged against Miami, but it didn't matter.

This matchup is the same way, IMO, minus the part where Lebron's team has a problem with post defense.

roshan3ai
10-14-2013, 02:18 PM
Someone sticky this!

AI
10-14-2013, 02:50 PM
I think you and a lot of voters are seriously underrating Lebron's impact. Look at what he did in the last postseason with Bosh and Wade totally underachieving, and he still willed that team to series victories against Indiana and San Antonio. Both of those teams were better constructed basketball teams on paper and had serious matchup advantaged against Miami, but it didn't matter.

This matchup is the same way, IMO, minus the part where Lebron's team has a problem with post defense.

Bosh and Wade can underachieve all they want, they still require attention as legitimate 2nd/3rd options, which AC doesn't have. Klay Thompson is a pure shooter, much like Ray Allen, but he's not a legit 2nd option yet. TB can just force LeBron to beat them by himself and limit what the supporting cast does. Sure, LeBron will get his like he always does, but it won't be enough to win the series.

Gortat put up the lowest ORtg of his career last year and I don't buy Rosh's "He didn't have Nash excuse" which is complete crap since he's been effective before without Nash. LeBron isn't a magical unicorn that will suddenly make Jennings an efficient scorer regardless if he's handling the ball or not. Tampa can live with Jennings chucking contested 3's all series.

Not to mention, they have a legit defensive anchor in Larry Sanders paired with another big in David Lee who is a solid rebounder, they will clog the paint and close driving lanes for LeBron. It's simple really, LeBron has never won it all without a second and third star by his side, no reason to think that will start now.

mightybosstone
10-14-2013, 03:10 PM
Bosh and Wade can underachieve all they want, they still require attention as legitimate 2nd/3rd options, which AC doesn't have. Klay Thompson is a pure shooter, much like Ray Allen, but he's not a legit 2nd option yet. TB can just force LeBron to beat them by himself and limit what the supporting cast does. Sure, LeBron will get his like he always does, but it won't be enough to win the series.
I don't buy this whatsoever. Teams have tried this strategy and failed miserably. And if you put all your attention on Lebron, you're going to give open looks on the perimeter to Thompson or Jennnings or leave Gortat open inside.

Gortat put up the lowest ORtg of his career last year and I don't buy Rosh's "He didn't have Nash excuse" which is complete crap since he's been effective before without Nash.
What? He's never been an effective offensive starting center without Nash. Before coming to Phoenix, the guy was playing like 12-13 minutes a game in Orlando. Anyone can be efficient with that small a sample size going against second teamers all the time. As a starter, he was far more effective with Nash and his elite pick and roll skills. Give Lebron a pick and roll weapon of that caliber and those two would thrive together.

LeBron isn't a magical unicorn that will suddenly make Jennings an efficient scorer regardless if he's handling the ball or not. Tampa can live with Jennings chucking contested 3's all series.
lol... You don't need magical powers to make a player more efficient. It's common sense, actually. If Jennings isn't given nearly as many possessions, and he's getting double teamed far less, he's going to take better shots. There are tons of examples of this throughout the league's history. And while I'm not crazy about Jennings, I certainly think this is the best possible scenario for him as a player. Lebron can take pressure off of him, and he'll get a lot more open looks in this offense.

Not to mention, they have a legit defensive anchor in Larry Sanders paired with another big in David Lee who is a solid rebounder, they will clog the paint and close driving lanes for LeBron. It's simple really, LeBron has never won it all without a second and third star by his side, no reason to think that will start now.

Did you just use David Lee as an example of someone who can help clog the paint defensively? There are scarecrows who guard the paint better than David Lee. And I don't buy the "Lebron can't win without two superstars" ********. The guy did it last year with Bosh and Wade playing like crap, and he could certainly win with this supporting cast against that Tampa Bay team.

Sportfan
10-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Did you just use David Lee as an example of someone who can help clog the paint defensively? There are scarecrows who guard the paint better than David Lee. And I don't buy the "Lebron can't win without two superstars" ********. The guy did it last year with Bosh and Wade playing like crap, and he could certainly win with this supporting cast against that Tampa Bay team.
But you don't know that the rest of AC can/will play at a high level. Tampa has arguably top 3 perimeter and post defender. You know Parsons can D up too. There is no one on else other than Lebron that will give you CONSISTENT production other than maybe Taj which won't be much offensively. Klay was easily shutdown Games 3-6 after that great Game 2, Jennings is a mystery every night. Gortat sucked it up last season.

DR_1
10-14-2013, 06:04 PM

You make a very good point. However, while Bosh and Wade had bad playoffs last year they defenses at least had to prepare for them in case they went off. With this team LeBron has no such luxuries.

AI
10-14-2013, 08:12 PM
So this is tied, yet again, since Vitamin's vote doesn't count. Vote people.

Sportfan
10-14-2013, 08:59 PM
**** can we please not have a double OT

TrueFan420
10-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Tampa is the better team and if Atlantic didn't have he who must not be named on their team the vote wouldn't close. Their team doesn't fit well around he who must not be named.

mightybosstone
10-14-2013, 09:45 PM
You make a very good point. However, while Bosh and Wade had bad playoffs last year they defenses at least had to prepare for them in case they went off. With this team LeBron has no such luxuries.

See, I don't think that's true. I have no delusions of grandeur about Jennings, Thompson or Gortat, but all three can be very dangerous players offensively in their own right. Jennings is especially dangerous. Inefficient? Yes. But that's a guy who has averaged at least 15 points a game since he's been in the league and has almost always had to be the No. 1 guy on a mediocre team. He could be a deadly No. 2 against defenses geared to stop Lebron.

roshan3ai
10-15-2013, 12:41 AM
Looks like Tampa's moving on. Congrats SF and Greg

TrueFan420
10-15-2013, 04:27 PM
See, I don't think that's true. I have no delusions of grandeur about Jennings, Thompson or Gortat, but all three can be very dangerous players offensively in their own right. Jennings is especially dangerous. Inefficient? Yes. But that's a guy who has averaged at least 15 points a game since he's been in the league and has almost always had to be the No. 1 guy on a mediocre team. He could be a deadly No. 2 against defenses geared to stop Lebron.
The thing is Jennings is basically a young Crawford. Too young/good to be made 6th man but ultimately that will be his role and he will thrive there. They would have been better off starting another pg and making Jennings 6th man. In a bench scoring role and because he can distribute a little can take that role when bron is on the bench.