PDA

View Full Version : NBA Re-Draft Playoffs: Las Vegas (4) vs Albuquerque (8)

Sadds The Gr8
10-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Every summer, PSD holds a game where GM's re-draft players to see who creates the best team. This year, users from the site had to utilize their skills via draft, trades. At the end of the game, GMs voted on how they believed the regular season of this game would shake up. These are the playoffs of PSD's 2013 NBA Re-Draft

Please take the time to consider each line up, the match-up itself, and vote on which team you believe would win in a seven game series.

LAS VEGAS HAS HOME COURT ADVANTAGE

Las Vegas Depth Chart:

PG - Steve Nash / Aaron Brooks
SG - Danny Green / John Salmons / Reggie Williams
SF - Paul Pierce / John Salmons / Mickael Pietrus
PF - Amir Johnson / Luis Scola / Matt Bonner
C - Roy Hibbert / Brendan Haywood / Amir Johnson

Albuquerque Depth Chart:

C: Anderson Varajao/Ian Mahinmi
PF: Kenneth Faried/Darrell Arthur
SF: Andre Iguadola/Terrence Ross/Landry Fields
SG: Gerald Henderson/Ben Gordon/Alexey shved
PG: Kyrie Irving/Marquis Teague

Las Vegas Writeup:

Congratulations to DR on their upset as a #8 seed but in all honesty they shouldnít have even advanced to the 2nd round. Albuquerque is a fundamentally flawed team that is clearly outmatched in this round. As in the previous round this matchup can best be summed up into 2 parts.

2 keys to this matchup:
1. Albuquerque was one of the worst offenses in the redraft.
Las Vegas is an efficient balanced offense while I question if Albuquerque will even score 85 ppg in this series! First our teamÖNash still remains one of the best facilitators in regards to ast/to ratio and his shooting efficiency is still elite at over 60%. He and Danny Green provide the best spacing of the redraft and amazingly both rank as top 10 shooters from 3pt ALL-TIME. This is not to ignore the spacing provided by career 37% 3pt shooter Paul Pierce who is still scoring almost 20ppg and fully capable of being a 1a option with the emerging Roy Hibbert. The same Roy Hibbert who manhandled Tyson Chandler and then the Heat in this yearís playoffs. He averaged over 20-10 in the ECF finals alone. He provides Las Vegas with a huge post presence, Amir Johnson (being guarded by the highly overrated defender Faried and his 380th overall rank in defensive ppp) is a slasher/hustle/high efficiency double digit scorer and the wings all space the floor for them. Hell we even have 4th round pick Luis Scola off the bench who ranked 61st in post-up PPP in over 200 post-plays. He'll provide low to mid teens scoring and keep our inside out game deadly. Itís a balanced functioning offense.
Albuquerque has none of these things. Kyrie Irving at 5.9apg doesnít even crack the top 20 list. Heís a scorer with a respectable TS% 56% but his mediocre playing-making (with +3 turnovers per game) forces the rest of his offense to pick up the slack and produce too many baskets ON THEIR OWN. Imagine this type of pressure being put on these other players. Henderson shoots 37% in iso situations. Iggy shoots 38% in iso situations. Maybe heíll get a post-up from his frontcourt? Not on this team. Faried and Vaj combined to only take 29 isolation shots TOTAL between them this season. They also only combined for 48 post-up FGAs TOTAL between them. By comparison Roy Hibbert took 538 FGAs in the post this season and ranked an impressive 77th in PPP. How are they going to score? Even if I concede Kyrie goes off for 25ppg (not a given considering heís completely unproven in the postseason and my entire defense will focus on him including Roy Hibbert whose impact limiting drives to the paint reached elite), where is the rest of the scoring coming from? His frontcourt is basically a bunch of 12ppg players who canít produce a shot to save their lives and they have one of the least productive distributing PGs in the game to go with them! Forget about spacing with Gerald Henderson (Career 27% from 3pt) and Andre Iguodala (Career 32% from 3pt). There is nothing stopping me from packing the paint on Kyrie and forcing his non-existent offensive teammates to produce. Which they just canít. They canít drive, shoot, or post-up. The numbers prove this and anyone who understands the fundamentals of the game would have to agree how flawed that team would be offensively with 0 spacing and an average facilitator working with a highly questionable group of role-players at 3 out of 5 starting spots.

2. Advantages they think they have but they donít:
Albuquerque will be quick to point out (if they do a writeup) that Iggy will slow down Pierce. While Iíll be the first to admit that Iguodala is one of the best perimeter defenders in the league that doesnít change the fact that Pierce rated as one of the best perimeter defenders in the league as well last season. Iguodala allowed 0.8 PPP last season according synergy and Pierce allowed 0.79 PPP. In addition you have to factor in that Pierce is significantly superior offensively player. How have they done head to head? Unlike most pitiful sample sizes people like to use these two have played each other 30 times during the regular season, both having STARTED in all 30 games.
Pierce Ė 20ppg/7rpg/5apg shooting splits 46%/45%/81% in 37mpg
Iguodala Ė 13ppg/5rpg/5apg shooting splits 43%/23%/63% in 36mpg
Meanwhile, down low we have a monster Roy Hibbert. I mean have you seen him lately? http://www.rantsports.com/nba/files/...y-Hibbert1.jpg
Heís got 4 inches and +50 pounds on Varejao. If he can manhandle Tyson Chandler than this should be even easier for him playing against an injury-prone and unreliable Varejao. With my two best players having two clear advantages at their positions this should help propel the Vegas to the next round.

Vegas in 5.

Albuquerque Writeup:

Las Vegas is a great team, but here's why Albuquerque wins:

Steve Nash on Irving is a disaster. Steve Nash on anyone is bad, but being matched up with Irving is going to cause major defensive breakdowns giving opportunities to our offense

Iggy will put the clamps on Pierce. Undisputed top 3 perimeter defender on an aging scorer with very little athleticism left.

Las Vegas' defense is VERY POOR, especially when Hibbert goes out. No other frontcourt player can even slightly protect the rim. We have Mahimi and Arthur who are both plus defenders off the bench. The only two players on Vegas that play any defense are Green and Hibbert.

ABQ in 6!

Sadds The Gr8
10-11-2013, 11:34 PM
so tough. I really like Albuquerque's chances but the lack of a secondary guy really hurts them. Kyrie will own in this series but I don't know if he can do it by himself. Vegas in 7

bloomis1307
10-11-2013, 11:36 PM
I like Alb here, Kyrie will own and the best offensive threat for Vegas has Iggy on them....Not a recipe for success

Shammyguy3
10-12-2013, 12:12 PM
On the fence about this one

SugeKnight
10-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Vegas forgot to mention that igoudala has the best assist to turnover ratio of any wing, dishing out almost 6 assists a game. Irving definitely isn't alone.

Henderson isn't a 3 point shooter, but he's still an efficient scorer, as for spacing, Ben Gordon shot 39% from deep last year, and has always been threat from deep.

The head to head with Iggy is deceptive because Pearce isn't the same player he was earlier, while iggy is better than ever. Coach K was amazed by iggys defense and said it was the best out of anyone on team USA

Like I said before, Nash can't hang with Irving at all. Lakers fans will be the first to tell u how bad Nash was last year. Can we really expect him to bounce back at 40?

Varajao and Faried can't post. Ok. We don't need them in the post when they'll be running past Hibbert, Johnson, and any awful Vegas bench big to the rim.

How many minutes will Hibbert play? Go many can he play with all the extra weight he gained? We also have Mahimi who is a good defender and who guards Hibbert in practice all season could be effective at limiting Hibbert. Blatche, Amir, Scola, and Bonner won't limit anyone, giving this team full of slashers opportunities when Hibbert sits or gets in foul trouble

Shammyguy3
10-12-2013, 09:17 PM
I believe Albuquerque advances once again, they match up extremely well versus Vegas. Their lack of post-scoring will catch up to them eventually, but Irving will demolish Nash and that's the difference maker to me

The_Jamal
10-12-2013, 11:28 PM
ALb is the tem of destiny apparently

SugeKnight
10-13-2013, 02:39 AM
ALb is the tem of destiny apparently
True. You can't fight destiny

KnicksorBust
10-13-2013, 08:22 AM
Vegas concedes that Kyrie would destroy Nash. So what? First of all, if he gets by Nash he's got Roy Hibbert waiting for him. Arguably one of the best rim-protectors in the league. Second of all, even if Kyrie has a great series, ALB has got nobody else that can create their own shot, hit a shot from the perimeter, or work the low post. How can that offense even function?

It reminds me of Chris Paul's last playoffs with the Hornets. He played out of his mind destroying Derek Fisher. But they still lost in 6. Why? Because he was their entire team. AND THIS IS CHRIS PAUL! Kyrie can score but he's not nearly on the level he needs to be as a passer or as a defender. Nash would do just fine on offense. Did we forget Nash still averaged 13ppg on 60% TS%?

I can't believe they are trying to discredit a 30 game sample size. How did Pierce do vs. Iggy in 2013?

Well the first time they played he went off for 27pts/14rb/14ast while Iggy had 5/2/4 and the second game Pierce had 10/6/6 and Iggy had 1(yes ONE point)/7rb/3ast.

Pierce has always owned Iggy and still did it in 2013. Plus if Iggy spends all his energy on defense you know he's going to barely give them double digit points. Which means again we're looking at guys like Faried/Varejao to score. THAT is not a recipe for success.

And let's not forget what Danny Green showed in the Finals. He's capable of going off for 25+ on a hot night and with distributors like Nash and Pierce to find him he'll easily outplay Henderson.

KnicksorBust
10-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Vegas.

BullsNumber1Fan
10-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Vegas concedes that Kyrie would destroy Nash. So what? First of all, if he gets by Nash he's got Roy Hibbert waiting for him. Arguably one of the best rim-protectors in the league. Second of all, even if Kyrie has a great series, ALB has got nobody else that can create their own shot, hit a shot from the perimeter, or work the low post. How can that offense even function?

It reminds me of Chris Paul's last playoffs with the Hornets. He played out of his mind destroying Derek Fisher. But they still lost in 6. Why? Because he was their entire team. AND THIS IS CHRIS PAUL! Kyrie can score but he's not nearly on the level he needs to be as a passer or as a defender. Nash would do just fine on offense. Did we forget Nash still averaged 13ppg on 60% TS%?

I can't believe they are trying to discredit a 30 game sample size. How did Pierce do vs. Iggy in 2013?

Well the first time they played he went off for 27pts/14rb/14ast while Iggy had 5/2/4 and the second game Pierce had 10/6/6 and Iggy had 1(yes ONE point)/7rb/3ast.

Pierce has always owned Iggy and still did it in 2013. Plus if Iggy spends all his energy on defense you know he's going to barely give them double digit points. Which means again we're looking at guys like Faried/Varejao to score. THAT is not a recipe for success.

And let's not forget what Danny Green showed in the Finals. He's capable of going off for 25+ on a hot night and with distributors like Nash and Pierce to find him he'll easily outplay Henderson.

Yea, I was leaning toward Alb until this post. Won me over. Especially seeing what Paul did to Iggy this year.

DR_1
10-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Yea, I was leaning toward Alb until this post. Won me over. Especially seeing what Paul did to Iggy this year.

Ya cause you were gonna vote for the team who beat you in the first round :laugh2:

KnicksorBust
10-13-2013, 07:45 PM
It's my last game. You know I'm gonna have to keep bumping this. Go Vegas! :)

KnicksorBust
10-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Bump.

KnicksorBust
10-13-2013, 09:23 PM
Vegas! :)

Sportfan
10-13-2013, 09:31 PM
120 minutes can KOB DO IT?

SugeKnight
10-13-2013, 09:44 PM
It's my last game. You know I'm gonna have to keep bumping this. Go Vegas! :)

Bump.

Vegas! :)

Reported for post padding

KnicksorBust
10-13-2013, 10:22 PM
120 minutes can KOB DO IT?

Hahah. Not looking so good. :( Would have liked more votes but what can you do.

Sadds The Gr8
10-14-2013, 12:26 AM
Albuquerque advances.

mightybosstone
10-14-2013, 12:53 PM
I don't know how in the hell Albuquerque ended up the 8 seed to begin with. I had them ranked as the fourth best team in the conference, and could have had them higher on any given day. I like Vegas, but I don't trust that team's ability to put up points considering Nash is coming off his worst season in over a decade and isn't getting any younger. The better team won this matchup.

DR_1
10-14-2013, 01:02 PM
I don't know how in the hell Albuquerque ended up the 8 seed to begin with. I had them ranked as the fourth best team in the conference, and could have had them higher on any given day. I like Vegas, but I don't trust that team's ability to put up points considering Nash is coming off his worst season in over a decade and isn't getting any younger. The better team won this matchup.

:clap:

And good game KoB. You are always a class act :)

BullsNumber1Fan
10-15-2013, 12:09 AM
Ya cause you were gonna vote for the team who beat you in the first round :laugh2:

Why wouldn't I? I don't really hold any grudges and I wasn't really mad phlp and I lost. We literally spent maybe 10 minutes a day thinking about who to draft and that's it. I didn't even have any trade discussions outside of the 1st round, so I didn't have much time/effort invested.

Oh, and it didn't seem to bother phlp voting for you.

DR_1
10-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Why wouldn't I? I don't really hold any grudges and I wasn't really mad phlp and I lost. We literally spent maybe 10 minutes a day thinking about who to draft and that's it. I didn't even have any trade discussions outside of the 1st round, so I didn't have much time/effort invested.

Oh, and it didn't seem to bother phlp voting for you.

PHLP didn't seem upset, but you kept asking for a recount. You might have been joking though, I couldn't tell :(