PDA

View Full Version : Will Andrew Bynum play for the Cavs this season?

beasted86
10-11-2013, 07:36 PM
This is the latest news we have on Bynum, but it sounds pretty similar to what we heard last year when he was "with the Sixers". So my question is do you think Bynum will play this season, and what type of player can we expect?

“I feel pretty good and I am definitely getting better… I think if all the beans were on the table, I would be out there (playing right now).”

That’s Andrew Bynum from the Sixers training camp last year, on Oct. 9 to be exact.

We bring you that as a bit of context for the Andrew Bynum news coming out of the Cleveland Cavaliers media day.

He has been cleared for basketball activities but has no timetable for return. Philadelphia fans are nodding their heads, they’ve heard this before. Last season Bynum got all the way to 5-on-5 scrimmages but never got into a game, there were always setbacks and issues.

I don’t doubt that Bynum has real pain in his knee, and I certainly don’t doubt that he is working hard to get back (he knows future paydays are on the line). It’s not a question of if the mind is willing, it is the strength of the flesh I question.

Until I see him enter a game, I’m skeptical. So take today’s news however you wish.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/30/andrew-bynum-ramping-up-activity-but-no-timetable-that-sounds-familiar/

beasted86
10-11-2013, 07:43 PM
I say he will play, but it will be under half the games, somewhere in the 30-41 range.

Arch Stanton
10-11-2013, 11:54 PM
I say he will play, but it will be under half the games, somewhere in the 30-41 range.

I think the Cavs FO would be happy with that sort of production. They're pretty deep with bigs so they don't have to rely on him as much.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-12-2013, 01:27 AM
no

Sadds The Gr8
10-12-2013, 01:44 AM
25>

slaker619
10-12-2013, 02:10 AM
If him & Oden play more than 20games somethings up >D

sunsfan88
10-12-2013, 03:19 AM
Even though it's only a 1 year deal, I don't think the Cavs should have gave him so much guaranteed money.

Avenged
10-12-2013, 03:25 AM
IF he can remain healthy throughout now, which he won't - most likely - but talking hypothetically, that Irving + Bynum duo could be something special in due time..

KingPosey
10-12-2013, 03:43 AM
I think the Cavs FO would be happy with that sort of production. They're pretty deep with bigs so they don't have to rely on him as much.
There is no way the Cavs front office is happy with 35 games. That's silly thinking. They brought him in to charge up the fan see and give their mustang a Clydesdale to carry some of that load. No ****ing way they are sitting around going "ya, as long as Andrew gives us 30
Games we are happy." Limited minutes coming back and all, you get almost nothing from him.

beasted86
10-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Even though it's only a 1 year deal, I don't think the Cavs should have gave him so much guaranteed money.

Well according to Sham Sports it says that its a 2yr deal. The first year is $6M guaranteed with no guarantee date, and 2nd year is completely non-guaranteed. Sham Sports is usually the most accurate as far as contract details. If you mouse over his name it will show you everything:

http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/cavaliers.jsp

So essentially if they are are going into January or February and its looking like he isn't going to be healthy or in-shape enough to make an impact, the Cavs could waive Bynum and pay $6M as a failed experiment. $6M for a guy that didn't play or played bad is still a terrible deal, but at least they aren't in the luxury tax, and they still escape better than the 76ers that paid him $17M to not play.

beasted86
10-12-2013, 03:12 PM

Well Bynum and Varejao alike are totally injury prone, so I don't know how deep the team really is to be honest. For some reason Varejao flies under the radar to most fans as far as him being injury prone but he's barely played for the past 3 seasons.

Zeller starting at Center with Kadji or some other lower role player backing him up surely won't be enough to get the Cavs close to a playoff birth.

sunsfan88
10-13-2013, 09:02 PM
$6M for a guy that didn't play or played bad is still a terrible deal

Exactly.

meloman1592
10-13-2013, 09:16 PM
I hope he does. The cavs can be good

Tony_Starks
10-13-2013, 09:51 PM
He'll play, even if he has to play through pain. He knows missing big chunks will completely screw up any future paydays....

DR_1
10-13-2013, 09:53 PM
How in the world is he not sure if he'll be able to play the season opener? He hasn't played a game in a year and a half :facepalm:

BRADfromOZ
10-14-2013, 12:47 AM
I wanna go with less than 20 games.

ManningToTyree
10-14-2013, 01:14 AM
He will miss more games than he plays in.

beasted86
10-14-2013, 11:40 AM
He'll play, even if he has to play through pain. He knows missing big chunks will completely screw up any future paydays....

Well he missed an entire season, getting paid $17M... and another team was eagerly willing to hand over $24M w/ at least $6M guaranteed. There was also clearly multiple suitors with Dallas, Atlanta and others.

There will always be a desperate GM willing to gamble, and give him another pay day.

Tony_Starks
10-14-2013, 11:58 AM
Well he missed an entire season, getting paid $17M... and another team was eagerly willing to hand over $24M w/ at least $6M guaranteed. There was also clearly multiple suitors with Dallas, Atlanta and others.

There will always be a desperate GM willing to gamble, and give him another pay day.

He can always get another contract but missing a bunch of games after being out a year officially puts you Greg Oden territory. If he doesn't want to start getting minimum contracts to prove himself he'll have to get on the court....

mightybosstone
10-14-2013, 12:17 PM
I'd like to think the guy will provide something to the Cavs, who took a chance on him, unlike what he gave to the Sixers. But with Bynum, you just never know. If I had to put money on it, I think he's going to play 45-50 games. They'll give him some rest here and there, and he'll undoubtedly miss some games with soreness and with a mild injury here or there. But if the Cavs have him healthy toward the end of the season and possibly for a postseason run, it'll be worth it for the franchise.

xxplayerxx23
10-14-2013, 01:10 PM

100% worth the risk. 6 mill guaranteed and 6 mill if he does a certain amount I believe ? One year he could dominate, only thing is Cleveland can't fall for it and give him a 5 year deal after

king4day
10-14-2013, 01:38 PM
I believe if he doesn't play this year, or gets hurt again, we'll see the Oden situation. He'll have to take a year off, get back to full health, then prove to the few teams willing to take a flyer that he's worth it. He'll get vet min and that's that.