PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Magic set to honor T-MAC on opening night

Chronz
10-11-2013, 02:07 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24066262/magic-to-honor-tracy-mcgrady-on-opening-night

I sincerely hope hes not booed but I wouldn't be surprised. Let there be no mistake tho, Tmac was a Top 3-4 player throughout his tenure with Orlando, he willed trash far beyond their limits and the only reason his divorce with Orlando was ugly was due to the hockey guy they hired to run the team. The guy had absolutely no clue how to treat franchise players or how to run a club, which is why he resigned the same year he got the job.

Do you think theres any chance of him getting his jersey retired? Or is Penny too important to eliminate?

What do you guys think of a merger retirement type deal? Retire the number 1 in honor of Tmac and Penny.

FlashBolt
10-11-2013, 02:25 PM
A good as he was, I don't think anyone should have their jersey retired for any franchise if they only played for 4 seasons. There should be no problem with honoring T-Mac, but retiring his jersey is a different story. I don't even think Penny should have his jersey retired. His seasons were often cut short because of injuries. I don't know, I feel the qualifications should be higher. Having your jersey raised on top of an arena is a huge accomplishment one has to earn. Howard should have his jersey retired if Mac and Penny gets it.

NetsPaint
10-11-2013, 08:33 PM
A good as he was, I don't think anyone should have their jersey retired for any franchise if they only played for 4 seasons. There should be no problem with honoring T-Mac, but retiring his jersey is a different story. I don't even think Penny should have his jersey retired. His seasons were often cut short because of injuries. I don't know, I feel the qualifications should be higher. Having your jersey raised on top of an arena is a huge accomplishment one has to earn. Howard should have his jersey retired if Mac and Penny gets it.
Good point.

The Knicks have a "Knicks Legends" ceremony every year which would be a great for any team that has been around a long time. For example, John Starks may have not been on the level to get his jersey retired, but he's a Knicks legend who was very good for several seasons with the team.

T-Mac not getting out of the first round shouldn't be the reason why, he was an amazing player period. It's the LENGTH of time he was there without getting them deep in the Playoffs or Finals or leading them to a championship that makes it a tough decision.

Chronz
10-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Good points

ThuglifeJ
10-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Hmm

IversonIsKrazy
10-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Iverson should have it retired in philly shortly I hope.

DreamShaker
10-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Honestly...I think it is good to get some reflection of the past. I would not have an issue with Penny, T-Mac, Shaq, or Howard with retired Magic jerseys. This isn't the Celtics or Lakers, or even the Pistons or Heat. They have an identity of stepping stone players, but those guys defined the good ole days. On the other hand, no problem waiting on someone who stays. Either way.

ThuglifeJ
10-12-2013, 12:40 AM
Honestly...I think it is good to get some reflection of the past. I would not have an issue with Penny, T-Mac, Shaq, or Howard with retired Magic jerseys. This isn't the Celtics or Lakers, or even the Pistons or Heat. They have an identity of stepping stone players, but those guys defined the good ole days. On the other hand, no problem waiting on someone who stays. Either way.

Raptor fans should take notes. Ones I know say they won't lower there standards to Vince Carter. (6 years, allstar ROY, that goat dunk contest, put them on map, iconic player,playoffs, first everything, hofer)

The Raptors will never be LA/Boston like you say either. Just embrace the First 'Golden' Raptor and if the franchise does somehow explode in the future with a top 10 player all time and a championship it still is far from embarrassing to have a Carter jersey up there.

DreamShaker
10-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Raptor fans should take notes. Ones I know say they won't lower there standards to Vince Carter. (6 years, allstar ROY, that goat dunk contest, put them on map, iconic player,playoffs, first everything, hofer)

The Raptors will never be LA/Boston like you say either. Just embrace the First 'Golden' Raptor and if the franchise does somehow explode in the future with a top 10 player all time and a championship it still is far from embarrassing to have a Carter jersey up there.

One franchise I look at as an example is the Sacremento Kings. Divac, Mitch Richmond, and Webber all have retired numbers there. They have the Royals days covered with Tiny and Big O, but it is a good reminder to the fans about some stars of the past. Orlando has no players numbers retired, neither does Toronto. Both would be fitting, imo.

FlashBolt
10-14-2013, 11:48 PM
Shaq should have his jersey retired before anyone. I'm not saying T-Mac doesn't deserve it, but the standards would be set low if his short career warranted a retired number/jersey.