PDA

View Full Version : Should Basketball be standardized? (NCAA, NBA, FIBA)

Chronz
10-10-2013, 05:45 PM
There are different rules to play the same game at differing levels of competition/development. I forget the exact quote but Pau Gasol said it best "we play the same game 3 different ways" (4 if you count the crazy **** going on in N.Korea).

I know its not a completely different sport but I dislike FIBA's trapezoid, or the ridiculous shot clock length in the NCAA with the full on zones it allows. With already inferior athletes it really slows/stiffens up the game.

Would you be a fan of uniformity or do you enjoy the differences of a similar sport? Are there any rules you would want to abolish or implement into other leagues? I know the International game is going to adopt the longer 3pt line but there has been some talk of the NBA adapting FIBA's goaltending policy (once it hits the cylinder, the ball is free game).

ILLUSIONIST^248
10-10-2013, 07:46 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

leprechaun5
10-10-2013, 08:32 PM
FIBA rules doesn't include defensive 3 seconds violation and offensive 3 seconds starts counting only when the player is with the ball in his hands ,and this two are terrible rules .

MrfadeawayJB
10-11-2013, 12:04 AM
I think it should be nba rules across the board and NCAA should keep two 20 min half but start def 3 seconds. Make it a 24 sec shot clock and all hs should have 30 sec shot clock

hornetsfansydne
10-11-2013, 01:55 AM
FIBA rules doesn't include defensive 3 seconds violation and offensive 3 seconds starts counting only when the player is with the ball in his hands ,and this two are terrible rules .

Offensive 3 seconds does start counting even if you do not have the ball

hornetsfansydne
10-11-2013, 01:59 AM
An interesting idea.. I prefer FIBA rules because that is what I have grown up playing and watching so obviously I would like all leagues to implement the international rules. Having said that I don't see the NBA backing down with some of their rules so a compromise is the only way. The biggest problem with a compromise in my opinion would be the differing timeout rules.

2-ONE-5
10-11-2013, 03:19 PM
no need for different countries to have to have the same rules. Soccer is not played the same in the US as it is overseas. I imagine baseball is but not sure how they could really do anything much different