PDA

View Full Version : What is the Clippers Upside if DeAndre Jordan Becomes an All Star Caliber Player?

Clippersfan86
10-08-2013, 09:27 PM
I think a big reason many don't believe in what the Clippers have right now centers around DeAndre (and for good reason). Last night I saw something I had never seen from DeAndre, although it was just a preseason game. He was intelligent and made no errors. He was the vocal leader and not once did he hang his head or lose focus. He was just dominating the game while orchestrating the defense in a way I didn't think was possible. It truly seems Doc's mind games of boosting DJ's confidence every chance he gets may pay off.

So my question is... if this new focused DeAndre sticks around and plays much more consistent defense and hits free throws... what is the max upside for the team this year and for the forseeable future? Is him becoming a Tyson Chandler caliber type center enough to get the Clippers to the finals, or even win a finals?

Chronz
10-08-2013, 10:19 PM
The moon. We went undefeated for a month when we were all clicking

WARRIORS@GR
10-08-2013, 10:33 PM
If he becomes 2011 Chandler,they come out of the West and challenge Miami.

5ass
10-08-2013, 11:04 PM
Championship. Atleast finals.
Cp3 would have two allstars and a great bench and role players. Its his time right now.

Chacarron
10-08-2013, 11:36 PM
He's looking great thus far. I know it's preseason and all but he looks to be in charge of that defense.

Sadds The Gr8
10-08-2013, 11:46 PM
I'll say WCF. To me, Blake's the one that needs to take the big jump. If Blake becomes a top 7 player and the most dominant offensive big in the game they'll win a title.

John Walls Era
10-08-2013, 11:48 PM
If Blake develops a consistent midrange, they could probably make the WCF minimum.

Clippersfan86
10-08-2013, 11:50 PM

Avenged
10-08-2013, 11:50 PM
If Blake takes charge of that team, skies the limit.

tredigs
10-09-2013, 12:38 AM
The Moon?

Golden Spike Moon Mission: Private Company Offers Tourists $1.5 Billion Ticket To History

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/12/07/golden-spike-moon-mission_n_2255758.html

You don't have the cap space son.

tredigs
10-09-2013, 12:40 AM
But like I said in the preseason thread, scary. A good kyrptonite for the Heat. And more importantly, a sneaky fantasy sleeper.

Clippersfan86
10-09-2013, 12:46 AM
But like I said in the preseason thread, scary. A good kyrptonite for the Heat. And more importantly, a sneaky fantasy sleeper.

Yea Heat are a good matchup for us. Last 3 years we have won more of the games in the Lebron era and that was with DJ mostly sucking.

Bishnoff
10-09-2013, 01:18 AM
Upside: Champions.

JEDean89
10-09-2013, 01:32 AM
Javale and Deandre are my two breakout C's this year. I still think Kanter, Cousins and Valanciunas have a year or 2 to go before they break out.

Clippersfan86
10-09-2013, 01:52 AM
Javale and Deandre are my two breakout C's this year. I still think Kanter, Cousins and Valanciunas have a year or 2 to go before they break out.

Drummond is another great breakout pick. He will be getting starter minutes most likely. Yes I have a hard on for Drummond right now ;p.

FlashBolt
10-09-2013, 02:03 AM
Nowhere... They are not making it out of the West dominant big men in Duncan, Randolph/Gasol, Howard, or even Bogut/David Lee. That's not entirely DeAndre's issue, Blake needs to improve. Clippers go as far as Blake takes them. CP3 is at the level where he possibly can't be any better. If Blake can turn it up a notch, that will be the difference maker.

todu82
10-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Strong favourites to come of the West. The West is a crapshoot this season if you ask me. If the Clippers had Johnson playing at 100% then they could be the favourites in the West.

jstone0716
10-09-2013, 01:34 PM
I'd say WCF would be the furthest the can go unless Blake can learn to play D.

kingsdelez24
10-09-2013, 03:11 PM

Excuse me, can I get some of what you're smoking? You pick the two most bone-headed Centers who only play to their athletic strengths and have no skill on the block over arguably the 3 most talented young big men in the league? Get out of here

Slug3
10-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Yea Heat are a good matchup for us. Last 3 years we have won more of the games in the Lebron era and that was with DJ mostly sucking.

I actually believe the series so far since Lebron has been pretty much tied. The Clippers might have gotten one more win in that shortened season, but other than that I believe whoever was the home team won. So it doesn't look like anyone is really winning too many more.

Goose17
10-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Another Clippers thread? I am shock.

...Just messing with you bro

LAKobeBryant
10-09-2013, 04:23 PM
If he becomes 2011 Chandler,they come out of the West and challenge Miami.

how, DJ being great still doesn't solve the lack of production from their bigs in the half court set.

Cracka2HI!
10-09-2013, 04:56 PM
DJ did look amazing in our preseason. He looked great last preseason too. I do expect imporvment from him this year tho. The Clippers upside is a Championship, just not sure they will end up being that good. The flip side to DJ's great preseason was Blake looking just as timid offensively as ever.

Clippersfan86
10-09-2013, 06:12 PM
I actually believe the series so far since Lebron has been pretty much tied. The Clippers might have gotten one more win in that shortened season, but other than that I believe whoever was the home team won. So it doesn't look like anyone is really winning too many more.

This is true that the home team has won pretty much every game. Point is... if DJ+Blake step up the matchup should be an even tougher one for Miami's frontcourt.

Clippersfan86
10-09-2013, 06:13 PM
how, DJ being great still doesn't solve the lack of production from their bigs in the half court set.

Are these the same bigs that ranked top 5 in both offense and defense inside the paint?

koreancabbage
10-09-2013, 06:32 PM
its not DeAndre. Its Blake that has to take his game to the next level.

Clippersfan86
10-12-2013, 10:17 PM
DJ is a beast right now! 9 points, 6 rebounds, 7 blocks at halftime. Completely demoralized Enes Kanter and terrorized the lane. Would have 8 blocks if refs didn't call weak foul. Doc was a Godsend for this kid. DPOY doesn't seem laughable anymorr for DJ.

Clippersfan86
10-13-2013, 12:54 AM
Finished with 14 points, 7 rebounds, 7 blocks in 21 minutes. Looks like a realistic choice for DPOY if he keeps it up. Like Dwight level dominance on D this summer. He's looking like a true defensive anchor for the first time of his career outside of a stretch in 2010-2011. Crazy how strong he got this summer. Kanter couldn't even muscle him or move him around and he's supposedly one of the strongest guys in the NBA. DJ lost 4 percent body fat and added muscle to his frame. He's at about 270 pounds.

Dade County
10-13-2013, 01:30 AM
like an above poster said, blake has to take his game to the next level, if the Clips want to make it out of the 2nd rd.

But if Jordan can keep this up the entire season, he should run away with the Dpoy.

TrueFan420
10-13-2013, 03:28 AM

That's funny someone said that about the triangle. The triangle was all about the point forward and not relying on a traditional pg.

Heediot
10-13-2013, 03:41 AM
Strong favourites to come of the West. The West is a crapshoot this season if you ask me. If the Clippers had Johnson playing at 100% then they could be the favourites in the West.

Who's Johnson?

Clippersfan86
10-16-2013, 12:29 AM
11, 11 and 5 today in 30 minutes. 14 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 5.5 bpg, 1.5 spg in just the low 20's minutes in preseason. Every time he went to bench today defense went to ****.

SPURSFAN1
10-16-2013, 12:38 AM
Sorry but KAWOW will be an allstar b4 djordan

JWorthy42
10-16-2013, 01:26 AM
Sky is the limit.

Seriously, the Clippers will be a legitimate contender if their bigs take charge.

2-ONE-5
10-16-2013, 09:56 AM
he will never be an AS nut wouldnt this be a better discussion to have with Clips fans?

Clippersfan86
11-01-2013, 03:33 AM
Vs Pau Gasol: 17 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks, 3 steals.
Vs Bogut: 9 points, 17 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block.

Not a bad start to the season at all. Playing OUTSTANDING defense so far this year. Up next DeMarcus Cousins and Dwight Howard.

SPURSFAN1
11-01-2013, 03:39 AM
He can't make free throws for jack though. Did you see that small lineup? You can't defend when you're not on the court.

Clippersfan86
11-01-2013, 03:44 AM
He can't make free throws for jack though. Did you see that small lineup? You can't defend when you're not on the court.

It's worth enduring. Only a couple teams employ hack a shaq (Warriors and Spurs). If he's missing free throws but dominating the paint defensively and the glass... as well as getting buckets inside, he's still having a massive lineup. Of course we would all rather him hit free throws but he's been flat out dominant defensively.

SPURSFAN1
11-01-2013, 03:50 AM
Dec. 16 spurs clips. Who wins it?

jerellh528
11-01-2013, 03:50 AM
Deandre is the perfect C for the clips imo. He's progressed nicely this offseason and should only get better.

tredigs
11-01-2013, 03:52 AM
It's worth enduring. Only a couple teams employ hack a shaq (Warriors and Spurs). If he's missing free throws but dominating the paint defensively and the glass... as well as getting buckets inside, he's still having a massive lineup. Of course we would all rather him hit free throws but he's been flat out dominant defensively.

Was he dominant? 1 block. Bogut and Lee both with efficient scoring nights, Bogut 6-7 (all points in the paint) for 17 points. Probably one of his highest scoring games in the past couple years. Though he is finally healthy. It's tough to imagine other teams not employing the Hack if he keeps shooting 3-12 from the line.

Clippersfan86
11-01-2013, 03:58 AM
Was he dominant? 1 block. Bogut and Lee both with efficient scoring nights, Bogut 6-7 (all points in the paint) for 17 points. Probably one of his highest scoring games in the past couple years. Though he is finally healthy. It's tough to imagine other teams not employing the Hack if he keeps shooting 3-12 from the line.

He altered so many shots, you probably saw. Bogut is a great center who I've gone to bat for many many times, so it's not surprising he scored 17 efficiently, especially because he had 4 or 5 dunks if I recall, 3 of which DJ got switched off of and were wide open (couple dunks and that one nice lob he got). His impact was definitely felt to a big degree out there.

sunsfan88
11-01-2013, 04:12 AM
More teams are gonna start using Hack a Jordan and it will remove him from the floor and make him completely ineffective.

Funny, he made a FT today and he even laughed about it cause he didn't expect to make it.

jerellh528
11-01-2013, 04:15 AM
More teams are gonna start using Hack a Jordan and it will remove him from the floor and make him completely ineffective.

Funny, he made a FT today and he even laughed about it cause he didn't expect to make it.

In all serious though, how come big guys can't make free throws?? I don't buy the big hands theory because every ***** in the NBA id over 6 foot and probably has enormous hands. baffles me.

Clippersfan86
11-01-2013, 04:29 AM
Dec. 16 spurs clips. Who wins it?

No clue. Depends how well the Clippers have gelled by then. You know the Spurs are always ready and will gameplan well, not sure which Clippers we will get. Luckily we have 6 weeks to prepare for them and mesh a bit.

tredigs
11-01-2013, 04:30 AM
In all serious though, how come big guys can't make free throws?? I don't buy the big hands theory because every ***** in the NBA id over 6 foot and probably has enormous hands. baffles me.

My theory (other than size in itself, which probably does make it a bit tougher), is that it's a combination of most bigs simply not being nearly as good at basketball as most of their smaller peers (who had about 20x the amount of players their size to compete for spots against growing up), and offense/shooting in general not being a point of emphasis for them in comparison to rebounding and paint presence/post moves.

So less practice, and worse offensive players in general.

jam
11-01-2013, 05:30 AM
Deandre's upside is far less important than blake griffin's. Griffin is one of the most disappointing players in recent memory, not because he's been awful. But because he has such freaky athleticism and a near unlimited ceiling and yet year after year, there is no improvement in his game. He just doesn't have the desire to be a great player.

Blake has not improved at all, and he's not going to get any more athletic. If he wants to turn the corner and become a top 5 guy in the assoc. like he's capable of, the clippers become true contenders. If Blake continues to coast (which appears to be the case), and doesn't show a willingness to plug the holes in his game, the clippers will continue to disappoint.

The clips have a great coach, the best pg in the game, and a deep roster. Now, can blake develop the fire to be an elite, top 5 player? I'm skeptical, but if he can, the clippers can reach the finals.

jerellh528
11-01-2013, 05:39 AM
Deandre's upside is far less important than blake griffin's. Griffin is one of the most disappointing players in recent memory, not because he's been awful. But because he has such freaky athleticism and a near unlimited ceiling and yet year after year, there is no improvement in his game. He just doesn't have the desire to be a great player.

Blake has not improved at all, and he's not going to get any more athletic. If he wants to turn the corner and become a top 5 guy in the assoc. like he's capable of, the clippers become true contenders. If Blake continues to coast (which appears to be the case), and doesn't show a willingness to plug the holes in his game, the clippers will continue to disappoint.

The clips have a great coach, the best pg in the game, and a deep roster. Now, can blake develop the fire to be an elite, top 5 player? I'm skeptical, but if he can, the clippers can reach the finals.

I totally wholeheartedly disagree with you. Blake griffin still can be great, I feel his game is still evolving, he gets crap for only dunking but dunking is like 99% efficiency. Sorry that he takes the highest % shots available.

sunsfan88
11-01-2013, 05:41 AM
Barkley was ripping on Griffin saying that he's disappointed that Griffin hasn't improved his offensive game.

Reggie Miller also said during the LAL vs LAC game that he can also tell that Griffin did not work on his game during the summer.

jerellh528
11-01-2013, 05:47 AM
Barkley was ripping on Griffin saying that he's disappointed that Griffin hasn't improved his offensive game.

Reggie Miller also said during the LAL vs LAC game that he can also tell that Griffin did not work on his game during the summer.
This is complete bs. Two games?! Griffen is for real man, I've always been a supporter of his. I think by seasons end he will prove it

sunsfan88
11-01-2013, 06:54 AM
This is complete bs. Two games?! Griffen is for real man, I've always been a supporter of his. I think by seasons end he will prove it

That's what had me wondering too. How can you tell he didn't work on his post game after just two games?

Barkley is an idiot but Miller?

Clippersfan86
11-01-2013, 01:34 PM
TNT's crew has proven time and time again that bias outweighs sound analysis. There are a few teams they hate like the Clippers/Knicks/Thunder who no matter what they do.. they will pick them apart. And there are a few teams like the Grizzlies/Bulls/Pacers who they will *** kiss relentlessly and completely avoid talking about when they lay an egg or get destroyed. For example the last 3 years with Memphis the pregame was always how superior Memphis was and how much more legit they were than us... but the multiple times we blew them out... they completely blew off the topic, chalked it up to luck and moved on.

They repeat idiotic myths/lies and I'm going to dispel them for the 25th time again.

1. The Clippers won't do much until Blake Griffin commands a double team. Uh news flash idiots.. Blake Griffin gets more doubles than most players in the NBA. Teams that guard him single coverage get killed. Lionel Hollins recently said his number 1 key to stopping the Clippers was NOT to guard Chris Paul.. but to pack the paint on Griffin. This is the scouting report of many teams I've read. The minute he goes in the deep paint 1-2 extra guys rotate over. The NBA is more perimeter oriented now. Shaq and Barkley need to understand backing a player down from 10 feet away isn't the best way to play this game anymore.

2. The Clippers don't play halfcourt offense. The Clippers were the 15th most efficient halfcourt team in the NBA last year and 2nd in shooting percentage from two, 5th in points in the paint among other stats. They aren't the Spurs or Heat... but they aren't as bad as people make it out to be. When we lost to Memphis and in general it's always because of our defense, not our offensive woes.

Then they have the dumb myths about the Knicks about how a bunch of 3 point shooting doesn't win games. Newsflash idiots... The Spurs and Heat are among the most dangerous and frequently shooting 3 point teams in the league and they were just in the finals. In fact that's the Heat's game pretty much... let Lebron and Wade drive all game with a ton of kickouts to 3's, which strategy wise isn't far from what Melo+shooters on Knicks do. Difference being that Miami is a much better team and Lebron+Wade are much better passers.

They keep talking about the Thunder not having a dominant low post big man scoring in the paint. Who's Miami's low post bigman scorer? Lebron's occasional post ups don't count. TNT has zero consistency or fairness in their analysis.

Clippersfan86
11-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Also yes.. how the fu** are you going to say "looks like he hasn't improved his game at all" in fu**ing game 1 of the season? Miller should be banned as TNT broadcaster and just work as Kobe's personal deepthroater.

Chronz
11-01-2013, 02:47 PM
That's what had me wondering too. How can you tell he didn't work on his post game after just two games?

Barkley is an idiot but Miller?

Miller is a bigger idiot, he contradicts himself within the same broadcast.

Clippersfan86
11-01-2013, 03:10 PM
I still can't believe Barkley already flip flopped on us after one bad loss. Last week he said on paper he picks us in the finals and now said we have zero chance of actually getting there. When I think of TNT analysis I think of half truths.

Because they take a grain of truth and blow it up with fluff analysis that lacks any depth or fair thinking. I'm a guy who uses exaggeration a ton myself... so I understand the reason why somebody may do it but they go so damn overboard. They are basically a worse version of me in that sense, with the difference being that they get paid a ton of money to do it. I could easily do the half *** job they do every night in terms of analysis.

Clippersfan86
11-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Bruce Bowen just proved my point. I called him out on Twitter for bs and he tweeted me that half of Blake's points came from lobs. Since when is 6 half of 23?

ThaDubs
11-01-2013, 07:35 PM

Too busy making commercials for Kia?

Cracka2HI!
11-01-2013, 09:42 PM
CF, your spot on about TNT. That's their thing tho. It's almost like slapstick analysis. It's more entertainment than sports. I mean look at some of **** they do. I love the show but I don't take it seriously.

Pakman
11-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Clippers would win the title if they had a better number two option. Sorry, but griffon is not going to cut it. He is too inconsistent. If they had say a Westbrook as the #2 wow that team would be scary. This core of cp3 blake and deandre will never win a title as a core

Clippersfan86
11-01-2013, 09:48 PM
CF, your spot on about TNT. That's their thing tho. It's almost like slapstick analysis. It's more entertainment than sports. I mean look at some of **** they do. I love the show but I don't take it seriously.

Hmmm maybe I have to just relax and not take it as sincere analysis? I agree highly entertaining but so much bad analysis lol.

Clippersfan86
11-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Clippers would win the title if they had a better number two option. Sorry, but griffon is not going to cut it. He is too inconsistent. If they had say a Westbrook as the #2 wow that team would be scary. This core of cp3 blake and deandre will never win a title as a core

I strongly dislike comments like "will never" for ANY players or teams. This is a good way to look dumb later on when said players or teams do what you said "will never" happen. I'm a master of hyperbole sometimes and I don't even use that wording.

Pakman
11-01-2013, 11:57 PM

I strongly dislike comments like "will never" for ANY players or teams. This is a good way to look dumb later on when said players or teams do what you said "will never" happen. I'm a master of hyperbole sometimes and I don't even use that wording.yes I could definitely look like a fool if they proved me wrong. But I wouldn't have said it if I wasn't confident in my statement. No offense to your team im just stating my opinion. I dont like blake as #2 at all.

Clippersfan86
11-02-2013, 12:58 AM
yes I could definitely look like a fool if they proved me wrong. But I wouldn't have said it if I wasn't confident in my statement. No offense to your team im just stating my opinion. I dont like blake as #2 at all.

Tonight Blake had 20/17/6 assists/2 blocks on 7/7 free throw shooting and great D, especially on Cousins. How's that sound for a number 2? Or 20.7 ppg career on fantastic efficiency. Show me all these other poor 20 ppg, efficient number 2 scoring options?

Pakman
11-02-2013, 01:19 AM
yes I could definitely look like a fool if they proved me wrong. But I wouldn't have said it if I wasn't confident in my statement. No offense to your team im just stating my opinion. I dont like blake as #2 at all.

Tonight Blake had 20/17/6 assists/2 blocks on 7/7 free throw shooting and great D, especially on Cousins. How's that sound for a number 2? Or 20.7 ppg career on fantastic efficiency. Show me all these other poor 20 ppg, efficient number 2 scoring options?yes impressive for a regular season game against the sacromento queens. Im not saying he's a bad #2 but a championship #2 is a different question. I want cp3 to win a chip but with blake as his #2 no way in hell they beat LeBron. U and I both know this.

AddiX
11-02-2013, 11:33 AM
All I know is Jordan looks like a new player under Doc. I've never seen him this active.

Clippersfan86
11-02-2013, 11:44 AM
yes impressive for a regular season game against the sacromento queens. Im not saying he's a bad #2 but a championship #2 is a different question. I want cp3 to win a chip but with blake as his #2 no way in hell they beat LeBron. U and I both know this.

Then tell me Pakman. What does a championship 2 look like? Who was Dirk's championship number 2 in 2011? 17 ppg Jason Terry?

kylem4711
11-02-2013, 04:13 PM
I dont know whether to be worried or hopeful with the clips. I want to believe, but I still see a lot of holes.

blake didnt develop his jumper which is supposedly what he worked on this offseason. He doesn't look at the basket 75% of the time and only sems to want to pass. When he does decide to shoot, he is always 1 foot in front of the 3. I really dont understand why he does some of the things he does. Yesterday, he took a step back to shoot a 3 wen he should have taken a step forward.

Deandre and JJ are really encouraging, but the way the offense stops when CP3 leaves seems to be worse than last year.

PurpleJesus
11-02-2013, 04:27 PM
What is the Miami Heat's upside if Norris Cole becomes an all star caliber player?

mightybosstone
11-02-2013, 04:33 PM
I actually don't think Griffin has to become a top 5-10 guy or that DJ has to play at an All-Star level for the Clippers to reach the Finals. Paul just has to be Chris Paul, Griffin has to be a more reliable No. 2 option on the postseason, DJ has to be a top 10-12 defensive center and their perimeter shooters have to hit shots. If they do those things, there's no reason to believe this Clippers team can't be a legitimate contender, especially right now where there's clearly a shift in power from older squads to younger teams and some of the younger teams are still getting comfortable with each other.

However, to address the questions brought up in this thread, I don't think DJ will ever be an All-Star and I don't think Blake will ever be a top 5 guy. DJ just isn't skilled enough offensively and, as others have mentioned already, his free throw percentage is a detriment to the team's offense.

As for Blake, the tools are there, but this is his fourth season in the league, and I find it really troubling that he hasn't developed a reliable jump shot. I certainly am not going to rip on the guy for getting most of his makes around the basket or for using his athleticism to dominate the paint and getting dunks. That's how you should play most of the time. But the athleticism won't always be there, and he really struggles offensively at times against tougher post defenders that he can't manhandle in the paint. I'll buy Blake as an improving player once I can trust him to hit a basket outside of eight feet and once he uses his athleticism to his advantage more often on defense.

Clippersfan86
11-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Just so people are clear on this.. Blake is just starting his 4th season. Karl Malone didn't get a truly reliable shot until his fifth year. As Shaq said yesterday "Karl Malone didn't become Mailman until his 5th or 6th year". Yet he went on to become 2nd all time in points scored and a perennial 28-30 ppg scorer. Not saying that's in the cards for Blake.. just saying even the great ones took a few years to refine their game.

Pakman
11-02-2013, 04:43 PM
yes impressive for a regular season game against the sacromento queens. Im not saying he's a bad #2 but a championship #2 is a different question. I want cp3 to win a chip but with blake as his #2 no way in hell they beat LeBron. U and I both know this.

Then tell me Pakman. What does a championship 2 look like? Who was Dirk's championship number 2 in 2011? 17 ppg Jason Terry?Sure he was. Stats dont tell the whole story all the time. terry hit a lot of big shots throughout the playoffs.

mightybosstone
11-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Just so people are clear on this.. Blake is just starting his 4th season. Karl Malone didn't get a truly reliable shot until his fifth year. As Shaq said yesterday "Karl Malone didn't become Mailman until his 5th or 6th year". Yet he went on to become 2nd all time in points scored and a perennial 28-30 ppg scorer. Not saying that's in the cards for Blake.. just saying even the great ones took a few years to refine their game.

Yeah, but that's the exception to the rule more often than not. Also, I loathe Karl Malone with a passion, so I automatically hate this post solely for that reason. :)

Clippersfan86
11-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Yeah, but that's the exception to the rule more often than not. Also, I loathe Karl Malone with a passion, so I automatically hate this post solely for that reason. :)

Haha don't be an ***. No but seriously... if this was 2K Blake is an athletic based player. Now he's finally being taught the finer details and has a good coach, I expect the refinement to come. I've gone on the record before and said this is Blake's final year for me before I lower expectations a lot. If he doesn't take off this year... I don't know if he will. That being said I think he will. He's returning to his rebounding and aggressive attacking the rim roots these last few games that I haven't seen since he was a rookie. Doc will be good for him.

Although a 20/10/3 type perennial all star isn't exactly settling and shouldn't be too bad of a disappointment.

Clippersfan86
11-10-2013, 01:13 AM
Are people still laughing now?

12 points, 18 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 blocks, 2 steals tonight vs Dwight.

On the season..

11.4 ppg, 15.5 rpg, 2.2 bpg, 1.7 spg through 7 games. Doing just fine playing 37 MPG.

Sure it's early but he's dominating. Here's who he's played H2H.

Gasol, Bogut, Cousins, Howard, Vujevic, Bosh, Howard.

SO grateful we didn't trade him for KG. Thank you Stern for stopping the trade.

stawka
11-10-2013, 01:57 AM
Are people still laughing now?

12 points, 18 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 blocks, 2 steals tonight vs Dwight.

On the season..

11.4 ppg, 15.5 rpg, 2.2 bpg, 1.7 spg through 7 games. Doing just fine playing 37 MPG.

Sure it's early but he's dominating. Here's who he's played H2H.

Gasol, Bogut, Cousins, Howard, Vujevic, Bosh, Howard.

SO grateful we didn't trade him for KG. Thank you Stern for stopping the trade.

That's actually pretty impressive considering the matchups he's had H2H (that's too many H's for my liking)

If he up'd his PPG to around 18 somehow, then wow. But yes, DJ has looked great so far IMO

Clippersfan86
11-10-2013, 02:09 AM
I doubt he will ever average even 15 ppg honestly and he doesn't need to. If he could average 12/13/2-3 bpg/1.5 spg he'd basically be in Roy Hibbert territory or better. He's had a HUGE impact this year.

Turn Up
11-10-2013, 02:41 PM
dude is averaging 11, 13, 2 blocks and a steal. i think this is really all the clippers need from him in order to be successful. that, and consistancy from griffin in the playoffs

there really isnt much more u can ask from jordan. if he can keep this up, he will have finally earned his contract

Clippersfan86
11-10-2013, 03:05 PM
That was before last night turnup. He's at 11/15/2/1.7 spg now. But agreed with your point.

Turn Up
11-10-2013, 03:13 PM
That was before last night turnup. He's at 11/15/2/1.7 spg now. But agreed with your point.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3442/deandre-jordan

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordade01.html

im getting 13.7 for the boards so far

Clippersfan86
11-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Weird I guess I did bad calculations last night. Either way 11/14/2/1.5 steals is pretty awesome. I knew he was a different player even without looking at stats. His effort, improved IQ, leadership and consistency are more what's blowing me away. Didn't think he had it in him TBH. He better name his firstborn son Doc.

Chronz
11-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Its been a rough work in progress defensively tho.

Clippersfan86
01-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Leads NBA in rebounding, 3rd in blocks. Career best metrics. Thoughts on his play?

NYJ - NYY
01-07-2014, 02:02 PM
I'll take him on the knicks

Chronz
01-07-2014, 02:24 PM
best defensive season of his career, hopefully the motivation to perform carries onto the post season for once, but where he really needs to prove himself is offensively, he cant be a COMPLETE liability come playoffs.

Chronz
01-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Gotta say tho, last night was a great effort. Thats what we are going to need more of, with CP3 out, we are going to rely on our defense more than ever.

Bruno
01-07-2014, 04:31 PM
its interesting to me that his per/36 minute scoring has gone down as much as it has. we all thought that the minute increase would result in a point increase as well. especially if his efficiency remained the same, which it has. he's getting 10.8 more minutes per game this season than last but his ppg is only up .6.

Bruno
01-07-2014, 04:34 PM
with that being said his rebounds per game have almost doubled and the per/36 minute numbers are substantially increased from 10.6 to 13.8.

sunsfan88
01-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Intriguing teams as a defensive-minded center, Ty Walker has met with the Oklahoma City Thunder, Golden State Warriors and Philadelphia 76ers during this month’s NBA D-League Showcase, league sources told Shams Charania.

At 7-feet, Walker is averaging 8.3 rebounds and 3.7 blocks per game with the Maine Red Claws, recording a D-League season-high of eight blocks earlier in the season. His wingspan (7-foot-6) and standing reach (9-foot-5) have left similarities to to JaVale McGee and Hasheem Thabeet, respectively, on the defensive end, and he helped hold Malcolm Thomas to just nine points on four of 13 shooting in Tuesday’s game against the Austin Toros.

Walker had also received interest as a potential training camp invitation in September.

For the season, Walker is averaging seven points in 27.5 minutes. The 24-year-old went undrafted in 2012 after four years at Wake Forest.

Sounds like the next DeAndre Jordan....

sunsfan88
01-08-2014, 07:24 PM
Its been a rough work in progress defensively tho.

Sure has

Opponents make 52.8 of their shots at the rim when Clippers center DeAndre Jordan is around. That's the worst mark of any player in the Top 19 in blocked shots per game. - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/articles/hoopshype/stats-porn-what-we-learned-with-player-tracking-tools-this-week-889#sthash.Kh89MJbZ.dpuf

Clippersfan86
01-08-2014, 08:44 PM
Sure has

Deserves a little context. New, complex defensive system and principals. First season as the defensive catalyst. First year of starter minutes. Road heavy schedule with few practices. Slowly but surely improving. Can't expect a team to learn a system in 35 games. Hibbert, Duncan etc have been with their core/system multiple years.

Ebbs
01-08-2014, 09:37 PM

He's stupidly underrated. In fact most people think he's overrated. It's ridiculous.

Chronz
01-09-2014, 03:02 AM
Sure has

Yea but we really need a double team stat to add some context here. Doc has allowed DJ to take his lumps, often leaving him on an island, and its not because hes a liability thats for sure, its because hes slowly integrating different aspects of his system. As the team has gotten better at strong side overload and knowing when to stunt the PnR without surrendering 3's, DJ's at the rim stats have improved.

Who knows, maybe Im overrating DJ and hes really incapable of defending without help like a Hibbert or Asik, but I would wager he receives less help thus far than alot of those guys.

Im going to do a synergy break down as soon as my work load eases up to see what they bear out but Im pretty confident in DJ's defensive game being better than the raw numbers suggest. Then again, Im a Clips fan so its in my best interest to find some kind of narrative to back him.

sunsfan88
01-09-2014, 05:14 AM
Deserves a little context. New, complex defensive system and principals. First season as the defensive catalyst. First year of starter minutes. Road heavy schedule with few practices. Slowly but surely improving. Can't expect a team to learn a system in 35 games. Hibbert, Duncan etc have been with their core/system multiple years.

Yea but we really need a double team stat to add some context here. Doc has allowed DJ to take his lumps, often leaving him on an island, and its not because hes a liability thats for sure, its because hes slowly integrating different aspects of his system. As the team has gotten better at strong side overload and knowing when to stunt the PnR without surrendering 3's, DJ's at the rim stats have improved.

Who knows, maybe Im overrating DJ and hes really incapable of defending without help like a Hibbert or Asik, but I would wager he receives less help thus far than alot of those guys.

Im going to do a synergy break down as soon as my work load eases up to see what they bear out but Im pretty confident in DJ's defensive game being better than the raw numbers suggest. Then again, Im a Clips fan so its in my best interest to find some kind of narrative to back him.
I think you both misunderstood me, I was just agreeing with Chronz that its a work in progress, that Jordan's not completely there yet.

I wasn't saying that he isn't improving or that he won't improve. He's definitely going to become a top defensive C in the league.

Chronz
01-09-2014, 12:50 PM
I think you both misunderstood me, I was just agreeing with Chronz that its a work in progress, that Jordan's not completely there yet.

I wasn't saying that he isn't improving or that he won't improve. He's definitely going to become a top defensive C in the league.

Yeah I was just adding abit to that stat, sounds like Im arguing both sides but Im just trying to give DJ alil credit too.

hugepatsfan
01-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Weird I guess I did bad calculations last night. Either way 11/14/2/1.5 steals is pretty awesome. I knew he was a different player even without looking at stats. His effort, improved IQ, leadership and consistency are more what's blowing me away. Didn't think he had it in him TBH. He better name his firstborn son Doc.

But you spent all offseason telling us he did?

Chronz
01-09-2014, 01:38 PM
But you spent all offseason telling us he did?

Hes prolly referring to the point in time where he would have rather have had Ryan Hollins ahead in the rotation.
Dude has very emotional highs and lows with his team.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-09-2014, 01:39 PM
3 all stars and a top 5 player will get you far in the league. He will probably not become one though.

hugepatsfan
01-09-2014, 03:01 PM
Hes prolly referring to the point in time where he would have rather have had Ryan Hollins ahead in the rotation.
Dude has very emotional highs and lows with his team.

lololol Ryan Hollins

Regardless, this offseason he championed Jordan as someone who was ready to take the next step. I poo-pooed it big time so I'll eat my crow. I didn't see Jordan becoming even as good as he is now. Still room for improvement and I wouldn't call him elite or anything but he's a strong starting C on a contender which is really all LAC needs.

Clippersfan86
01-09-2014, 06:33 PM
I never will deny I'm impulsive or too emotional when it comes to sports lol. Last year I pretty much finally had enough and turned on DJ. Then this summer I saw changes and have been a big supporter since. My loyalty is to the team first. If players are killing us, I want them off the team don't care who.

Lucky my claims of Vinny severely limiting our young core have been proven true. Griffin/DJ/ Bledsoe are blowing up.

sunsfan88
01-10-2014, 02:45 AM
I never will deny I'm impulsive or too emotional when it comes to sports lol. Last year I pretty much finally had enough and turned on DJ. Then this summer I saw changes and have been a big supporter since. My loyalty is to the team first. If players are killing us, I want them off the team don't care who.

Lucky my claims of Vinny severely limiting our young core have been proven true. Griffin/DJ/ Bledsoe are blowing up.

Just blew up his meniscus :(