PDA

View Full Version : Deepest Bench in the NBA?

jstone0716
10-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Most of the rosters are all shaped up at this point.. so who's got the deepest bench this year? Also do you see any problems depth wise for any contenders?

Heat obviously have the deepest of any team ( Best starting lineup, best bench.. huh.. wonder how that happened )

But aside from the NBA Monopoly.. I'd say Dallas probably has the deepest bench. Perhaps I'm bias but their 2nd unit is very solid and their 3rd unit is filled with solid prospects. Followed by the Nets, Clips & Pacers. Knicks would be pretty deep if A'mare is healthy but that's doubtful.

I think OKC's lack of depth is going to hurt them come playoff time. Golden State is in the same situation, but both teams are young enough that it might not matter.

What do you guys think?

Ty_Lawson
10-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Nuggets??
2 PGs on the bench that could start in most teams(Andre, Nate)
JJ Hickson(starter from last year)
Chandler/Gallo(both could start in almost every team not named Heat or OKC)
and a lot of young guys ready to improve(Evan,JHam,Miller,Arthur,Mozgov,Randolph... )

amos1er
10-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Most of the rosters are all shaped up at this point.. so who's got the deepest bench this year? Also do you see any problems depth wise for any contenders?

Heat obviously have the deepest of any team ( Best starting lineup, best bench.. huh.. wonder how that happened )

But aside from the NBA Monopoly.. I'd say Dallas probably has the deepest bench. Perhaps I'm bias but their 2nd unit is very solid and their 3rd unit is filled with solid prospects. Followed by the Nets, Clips & Pacers. Knicks would be pretty deep if A'mare is healthy but that's doubtful.

I think OKC's lack of depth is going to hurt them come playoff time. Golden State is in the same situation, but both teams are young enough that it might not matter.

What do you guys think?

Lol

SanPitte
10-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Heat in the East, Clippers in the West.
Pacers and Nets also have good benches, Nuggets have a very deep one, Knicks too if healthy

SugeKnight
10-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Warriors are one of the deepest teams in the league.

Oneal/Ezeli
Speights
Green
Thompson/Bazemore
Douglas/ Nedo

kingsdelez24
10-07-2013, 06:00 PM
The Heat are pretty deep this year... Pacers and Warriors too

If there's a team with the biggest logjam for minutes, that would be my Kings unfortunately

SanPitte
10-07-2013, 06:05 PM
I agree the Warriors do have a good bench, but the problem is that Lee and Bogut are both injury prone, and with Ezeli and Speights in the starting 5, the bench becomes thin

jstone0716
10-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Really the Warriors are deep? I agree they have one - if not the best - lineups 1 through 6, but after that I don't see much talent. I'm speaking strictly bench players here.. 6th man on down. So only Barnes or Thompson would be considered as part of their bench.

teddygreen17
10-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Knicks.....JR, Beno, Amare, Artest, even Pigs

bearadonisdna
10-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Bulls bench is pretty good. Hinrich coming in for Rose. Dunleavy backing up the wing and taj gibson. Heck two of those guys have been a part of team usa.

nycericanguy
10-07-2013, 06:34 PM
JR
Amare
Beno
MWP
Prigs
Kmart

Add in young guys with potential like Hardaway JR, Tyler, & Leslie.

That's a great, balanced bench. HUGE upgrade over last years 40 year old bench.

Goose17
10-07-2013, 06:59 PM
Really the Warriors are deep? I agree they have one - if not the best - lineups 1 through 6, but after that I don't see much talent. I'm speaking strictly bench players here.. 6th man on down. So only Barnes or Thompson would be considered as part of their bench.

So...

Either Klay (lights out shooter, high high caliber defender, improving his penetration) or Barnes (great two way player, athletic, high ceiling)

Ezeli (great defender)
O'Neal (great defender)
Speights (one of the best mid - range shooters in his position)
Douglas (very good defender, capable shooter)
Green (great defender, worked on his shot during offseason)
Bazemore (very good defender, improving on the other end. Dominated summer league)
Nedovic (we'll wait and see but in euroleague he was a great slasher, very explosive, solid defender and had a decent jump shot)
Kuzmic (wait and see again)

Plus Seth and Alexander

I think we'll be fine... lmao

People always underrating DubNation.

Rndy
10-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Quick everyone pick your team!

kdspurman
10-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Miami, Brooklyn has some nice pieces off the bench, Clippers, & Nuggets. Spurs are actually pretty deep too again

Goose17
10-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Miami, Brooklyn has some nice pieces off the bench, Clippers, & Nuggets. Spurs are actually pretty deep too again

Clippers and Nuggets are good calls.

I believe the Nuggets depth is going to keep them in the playoffs.

DallasTrilla23
10-07-2013, 07:39 PM
I'd say Dallas probably has the deepest bench.

You kidding me?

SPURSFAN1
10-08-2013, 04:50 AM
You kidding me?

lol

Guppyfighter
10-08-2013, 05:29 AM
Clippers.

R. Johnson#3
10-08-2013, 06:34 AM

What do you guys think?

You lost me right there.

I Rock Shaqs
10-08-2013, 08:46 AM
I agree the Warriors do have a good bench, but the problem is that Lee and Bogut are both injury prone, and with Ezeli and Speights in the starting 5, the bench becomes thin

That a terrible logic, also that has literally nothing to do with anything. On top of that David Lee is almost the complete opposite of injury prone.

NYKnickFanatic
10-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Clippers are stacked!

D-Leethal
10-08-2013, 09:16 AM

This.

Clippersfan86
10-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Heat, Clippers, Nuggets, Spurs, Pacers, Nets and Warriors all have fantastic benches if healthy.

mjt20mik
10-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Clippers hands down.

Barnes, Collison, Crawford, Dudley, Green, Hollins, Jamison, Mullens, Reddick.

All of these players are starters (and have been prior).

NYKnickFanatic
10-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Clippers hands down.

Really? Green, Hollins, Jamison and Mullens are starters? I believe the other ones can start on some bad teams.

Clippersfan86
10-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Green, Jamison and Mullens have all logged heavy starter minutes in recent years. Green and Mullens last year, Jamison just the year before. So obviously not on good teams usually, but they CAN start.

nycericanguy
10-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Green, Jamison and Mullens have all logged heavy starter minutes in recent years. Green and Mullens last year, Jamison just the year before. So obviously not on good teams usually, but they CAN start.

on horrible teams yea, not really a good argument.

I mean JR, Kmart, Amare, Beno, MWP, Prigs have all logged heavy starter minutes very recently as well... but most of those guys aren't legit NBA starters... not unless you have a lottery team.

Jamison and Mullens had trouble even finding teams this year and had to take vet min deals, I don't think anyone views those guys as starters.

Max.This
10-08-2013, 11:42 AM
I'd put my bench five udrih, j.r or hardaway jr/ metta, Stat, Martin against any other bench five

Clippersfan86
10-08-2013, 11:47 AM
on horrible teams yea, not really a good argument.

I mean JR, Kmart, Amare, Beno, MWP, Prigs have all logged heavy starter minutes very recently as well... but most of those guys aren't legit NBA starters... not unless you have a lottery team.

Jamison and Mullens had trouble even finding teams this year and had to take vet min deals, I don't think anyone views those guys as starters.

Point is they are starting caliber, not end of bench guys. Even if it is on terrible teams. I never said they deserve a label as starters but rather that they CAN and have started and been productive. Barnes, Crawford (or Bullock), Mullens, Jamison, Collison is a good enough bench unit to go up against the bad teams starters in the NBA and win some games.

3 of those guys (Crawford, Barnes, Collison) are average starters at least in the league.

nycericanguy
10-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Point is they are starting caliber, not end of bench guys. Even if it is on terrible teams. I never said they deserve a label as starters but rather that they CAN and have started and been productive. Barnes, Crawford (or Bullock), Mullens, Jamison, Collison is a good enough bench unit to go up against the bad teams starters in the NBA and win some games.

3 of those guys (Crawford, Barnes, Collison) are average starters at least in the league.

I would only put JC, and maybe Barnes in that category. Collison has been given numerous chances to start and always gets demoted or let go... I don't think he's starting caliber at all.

jstone0716
10-08-2013, 11:54 AM
So...

Either Klay (lights out shooter, high high caliber defender, improving his penetration) or Barnes (great two way player, athletic, high ceiling)

Ezeli (great defender)
O'Neal (great defender)
Speights (one of the best mid - range shooters in his position)
Douglas (very good defender, capable shooter)
Green (great defender, worked on his shot during offseason)
Bazemore (very good defender, improving on the other end. Dominated summer league)
Nedovic (we'll wait and see but in euroleague he was a great slasher, very explosive, solid defender and had a decent jump shot)
Kuzmic (wait and see again)

Plus Seth and Alexander

I think we'll be fine... lmao

People always underrating DubNation.

I'm not underrating you guys at all. I'm actually really excited about Golden State this year. I think y'all have a legit shot at making the finals. I just didn't see much depth beyond your 6th man.. apparently I'm wrong though lol. Point made!

mjt20mik
10-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Really? Green, Hollins, Jamison and Mullens are starters? I believe the other ones can start on some bad teams.

They were starters. I'm sure on a given night they can go back to being a starter (but as a role player). I'm pretty sure Green started 60 games last year for the Clips, and Mullins was the starting 4 on the Bobcats

Eitherway, calling out 4 out of the 9 I listed, still shows that they have 8 players (incl. Paul, DJ and BG) that are starters in this league.

Clippersfan86
10-08-2013, 11:55 AM
I would only put JC, and maybe Barnes in that category. Collison has been given numerous chances to start and always gets demoted or let go... I don't think he's starting caliber at all.

Collison even in a so called bad year last year had starter production/efficiency. But even if you're right having 2 legit starting caliber players on the bench and a few other borderline ones, is a good thing.

Clippersfan86
10-08-2013, 11:58 AM
I do have to say I think Crawford will be traded this year though. He's been a real downer since we hired Doc and got Redick. He's unhappy with having to play off the ball and the fact that Doc wants to remove the Iso crap from our system (good for Doc!). I don't really give a sh** though because Bullock is a big time late 1st rounder and can grow into the role of 6th man. The combined duo of Green+Bullock should easily make up for Crawford's offense while being more efficient and better defensively.

Green looked fantastic last night in the new offense and Redick killed it during the summer.

jstone0716
10-08-2013, 12:04 PM
You kidding me?

Not at all...

2nd unit:

PG - Devin Harris ( Still starter calliber PG or SG )
SG - Wayne Ellington ( Very solid 3 & D player )
FG - Vince Carter ( Still amazing scoring and becoming more efficent with age )
PF - Dejuan Blair ( Solid all around reserve )
C - Brandan Wright ( efficent and skilled big man. Due for a breakout season.. possibly a starter by June )

3rd unit:

PG - Larkin/Mekel ( both great prospects.. Mekel is a calderon/nash type and Larkin is an explosive all around guard )
SG - Ricky Ledo ( Dropped in the draft due to maturity... but don't doubt his skill. He could turn out to be an absolute steal )
SF - Jae Crowder ( turning out to be a solid 3 & D type player. Does a little of everything )
PF - Bernard James ( Solid paint protector, blocks and rebounds. )
C - Fab Melo

Like I said I'm probably just bias.. but they are definitely deep.

SanPitte
10-08-2013, 12:10 PM
That a terrible logic, also that has literally nothing to do with anything. On top of that David Lee is almost the complete opposite of injury prone.

you're right about Lee, with last year hip injury and that tooth in his arm,i don't know why but i just pictured him injury prone, but he actually isn't...
But I maintain that Bogut is, O'Neal is a shell of his former self, Toney Douglas isn't Jarret Jack and Speights isn't Carl Landry...
I love the Warriors' starting 5, and they have a very good sixth man whether it is Barnes or Thompson, but their bench is not that deep..

jstone0716
10-08-2013, 12:14 PM
you're right about Lee, with last year hip injury and that tooth in his arm,i don't know why but i just pictured him injury prone, but he actually isn't...
But I maintain that Bogut is, O'Neal is a shell of his former self, Toney Douglas isn't Jarret Jack and Speights isn't Carl Landry...
I love the Warriors' starting 5, and they have a very good sixth man whether it is Barnes or Thompson, but their bench is not that deep..

This is what I was thinking, regarding the warriors bench..

Clippersfan86
10-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Warriors bench is deep but as others have said it will likely be carried offensively by one main guy either Barnes or Thompson. Thing is in terms of defenders and rebounders they have an outstanding bench. Guys like Tony Douglas/JO paired up off the bench can really lock on defensively.

nycericanguy
10-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Collison even in a so called bad year last year had starter production/efficiency. But even if you're right having 2 legit starting caliber players on the bench and a few other borderline ones, is a good thing.

Clips have a very good bench no doubt. I just found it odd that you base it off them having so many ex starters on their bench, yet NY who has 5 or 6 ex starters you don't even mention yet named 7 other teams.

Rockice_8
10-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Top 3 in no particular order.

MIA
INDY
BK

Honorable Mention:
DEN
NYK
LAC (backcourt at least their FC is lacking)
SAS

Clippersfan86
10-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Clips have a very good bench no doubt. I just found it odd that you base it off them having so many ex starters on their bench, yet NY who has 5 or 6 ex starters you don't even mention yet named 7 other teams.

Are they ex starters as in last year? Because that's what the Clippers players I named were. Although I think the Knicks have a top 10 bench anyways.

nycericanguy
10-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Are they ex starters as in last year? Because that's what the Clippers players I named were. Although I think the Knicks have a top 10 bench anyways.

Kmart started last year

Beno started, though in fairness it was in ORL... but still had a very good, efficient year, probably better than Felton.

MWP was a full time starter on a 45 win playoff team out west.

JR played 33mpg, was our 2nd or 3rd best player, so while he wasn't officially a starter he definitely logged starter minutes.

Amare has always been a starter, had a 22PER last year, he might not be a good fit here but he's def still starter material when healthy.

Prigs started last year and that was our best stretch of the year.

They are definitely higher than top 10... you can make arguments for a few benches here and there being equal or better, but there's no way you can name 9 benches that are flat out better.

Goose17
10-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Warriors bench is deep but as others have said it will likely be carried offensively by one main guy either Barnes or Thompson. Thing is in terms of defenders and rebounders they have an outstanding bench. Guys like Tony Douglas/JO paired up off the bench can really lock on defensively.

In terms of Offense Speights has a very nice mid-range game and Douglas can stroke it from deep relatively well.

You're right though, our "depth" comes mostly in the form of defense and rebounding. But if Green or Bazemore have upped their game that will give us more options. Plus we'll have to see how Nedo and Kuzmic develop, although Kuzmic was raw offensively even in Europe, Nedo is an absolute beast, they don't call him the European Derrick Rose for nothing, but again, it's a case of waiting to see how he transitions.

And the fact of the matter is, there's rarely going to be a time when Curry, Klay, Barnes and Lee are all on the bench or a time when they're on the court by themselves with the likes of Green, Speights, O'Neal etc.

If Coach Jackson gets the rotations right we will have arguably the deepest wing rotation in the West, oddly enough I think our only rivals in that particular position are the Clippers.

Clippersfan86
10-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Yea I listed Warriors as a top bench. They are deadly. NYC you think Kmart started over Blake Griffin two years ago? Just double checking.

nycericanguy
10-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Yea I listed Warriors as a top bench. They are deadly. NYC you think Kmart started over Blake Griffin two years ago? Just double checking.

brain fart... but he did play pretty significant minutes when he was there. the rest of my post is accurate though.

STL Pride
10-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Cleveland Cavaliers -
PG.Jarrett Jack
SG.CJ Miles
SF.Alonzo Gee
PF.Anthony Bennett
C.Anderson Varejao

If Jarrett Jack can continue to play like he did last season, the Cavs bench will be very solid.
Andrew Bynum will also factor in. If he manages to play 55-60 games, Anthony Bennett and Varejao will likely be very effective off the bench as well.

Denver Nuggets - Known for having great depth.
PG.Andre Miller/Nate Robinson
SG.Randy Foye
SF.Wilson Chandler/Jordan Hamilton
PF.Darrell Arthur/Anthony Randolph
C.JJ Hickson/Timofey Mozgof

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hickson become the starter over McGee at some point during the season.
He's just more consistent.

Indiana Pacers - My favorites in the East this season. Their roster is loaded.
PG.C.J. Watson
SG.Lance Stephson - Starting guard on most teams
SF.Chris Copeland
PF.Luis Scola - Huge addition to this team
C.Ian Mahinmi

Los Angeles Clippers
PG.Darren Collison
SG.Jamal Crawford/Willie Green
SF.Matt Barnes
PF.Antawn Jamison
C.Byron Mullens/Ryan Hollins

Milwaukee Bucks - I believe they have an underrated bench
PG.Luke Ridnour
SG.Gary Neal
SF.Carlos Delfino
PF.John Henson - Soon enough, he's going to develop into the starting PF.
C.Zaza Pachulia/Ekpe Udoh

NY Knicks - W/Amar'e included.
PG.Pablo Prigioni/Beno Udrih
SG.JR Smith - Reigning 6th man of the yr
SF.Metta World Peace - Still a feisty defender who's capable of being a reliable spot starter/leader off the bench. I wanted him off my Lakers, however, i do believe this will be a good opportunity for him.
PF.Amar'e Stoudemire/Kenyon Martin - At least they have K-Mart to fill in for an injure riddled Stat in the meantime.
C.Cole Aldrich

Washington Wizards - Like the Bucks, I believe the Wizards bench is also overlooked. In Washington's case, they'll need their starters to stay healthy so there bench players can do there job.
PG.Eric Maynor
SG.Martell Webster - Arguably had his best season in the NBA last year. Incredible perimeter defender.
SF.Trevor Ariza - With Ariza, it's just a matter of staying healthy and being motivated.
PF.Trevor Booker/Al Harrington
C.Kevin Seraphin - Has the potential to be a starting PF/C

Mr_Amaziing
10-08-2013, 03:03 PM
I like Okc's bench..

Jackson-Fisher
Lamb
Robinson
Jones
Adams-Orton-Thabeet

nycericanguy
10-08-2013, 03:07 PM
I like Okc's bench..

Jackson-Fisher
Lamb
Robinson
Jones
Adams-Orton-Thabeet

thats not a good bench for a contending team, literally NONE of those guys, aside from maybe Jackson are proven. Fisher is pretty much done at this point

SPURSFAN1
10-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Mavs have a garbage bench. If those guys were on the sours(lol) roster, devin harris and vince carter play 15mpg, and everyone else doesn't play besides garbage time.

jstone0716
10-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Mavs have a garbage bench. If those guys were on the sours(lol) roster, devin harris and vince carter play 15mpg, and everyone else doesn't play besides garbage time.

You're wrong. The Sours would love to have Wayne Ellington and Brandan Wright on their bench. 10-20 MPG, easy.

SPURSFAN1
10-08-2013, 04:40 PM
manu green and belinelli are all better than wayne ellington. we don't need another guard. Jeff ayres is just like brandon wright. I don't know if it's correct but brandon weights 210 pounds as a center? lol

IKnowHoops
10-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Clippers, Heat, Spurs, Pacers, Nets. If everyone was in there prime, the Nets would probably have the best starting 5 in basketball. But if Prime meant Ohio state Greg Oden, and 2nd year Beasley, that would be a very close match, but Id still probably give overall starting 5 to Nets still.

SPURSFAN1
10-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Clippers, Heat, Spurs, Pacers, Nets. If everyone was in there prime, the Nets would probably have the best starting 5 in basketball. But if Prime meant Ohio state Greg Oden, and 2nd year Beasley, that would be a very close match, but Id still probably give overall starting 5 to Nets still.

wrong thread lol

MrfadeawayJB
10-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Hate to be "that guy" that brings up his own team, but Memphis has a good bench.

Bayless
Pondexter (15 ppg. In wcf)
Miller
Ed Davis (could start on some teams)
Koufas (should start on a team)

ILLUSIONIST^248
10-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Hate to be "that guy" that brings up his own team, but Memphis has a good bench.

Bayless
Miller

Homer alert XD

MrfadeawayJB
10-08-2013, 04:45 PM
But to answer the question I think Miami, clippers, Brooklyn, and Indy all have good benches

MrfadeawayJB

Bayless
Miller

Homer alert XD

:laugh:

jstone0716
manu green and belinelli are all better than wayne ellington. we don't need another guard. Jeff ayres is just like brandon wright. I don't know if it's correct but brandon weights 210 pounds as a center? lol

Haha whatever you say man. Mavs are deep.

SPURSFAN1
10-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Haha whatever you say man. Mavs are deep.

i can't wait for mavs spurs games. even though its died down, they're still fun.

--23--
10-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Pacers, Clippers & Nets

Clippersfan86
10-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Jb has a point. Memphis has a very low key, underrated good bench.

IKnowHoops
10-08-2013, 05:18 PM
wrong thread lol
Before I even saw the other thread I posted that. And let me amend what I said. Heat easily the best team.

MrfadeawayJB
10-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Jb has a point. Memphis has a very low key, underrated good bench.

That's fine by me low key is the way we always are

deaner
10-08-2013, 07:23 PM
To a certain degree, the answer should include the level of the 13-15th player's skill level.

DallasTrilla23
10-08-2013, 08:04 PM
i can't wait for mavs spurs games. even though its died down, they're still fun.

Last year the games were crap because you guys blew us out on most of them but that last game was pretty good. As long as dirk and Timmy are healthy and playing they'll be good

SPURSFAN1
10-09-2013, 12:29 AM
Last year the games were crap because you guys blew us out on most of them but that last game was pretty good. As long as dirk and Timmy are healthy and playing they'll be good

I really believe if mavs was in any other division, they would make the playoffs. southwest is still the hardest division. this year we got rockets mavs grizz spurs and pelicans. all dangerous teams.

FlashBolt
10-09-2013, 02:22 AM
Man, I gotta give it to the Nuggets again. Picking up Nate and Hickson is huge, even after they lost a few pieces this year. Miami also got a few great additions in Beasley and Oden. What kills me is how OKC didn't manage to snag anyone.. We have one of the most unproductive benches and yet management can't find anyone solid? Once again, relying solely on WB and KD to carry the team and if one of them gets injured, game over.

amos1er
10-09-2013, 04:39 AM
Clippers and Nets. Of course they are only second to the abomination that is the Miami Heat. However the OP said not to include the Heat because they are the obvious number one choice... Thats why I went with Clippers and Nets.

Rockice_8
10-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Clippers hands down.

Stop it... Their backcourt is very solid but their frontcourt is horrendous. Jamison shouldn't even be in the league anymore and Mullens is a jump shooting big that isn't a great shooter. Clippers backcourt keeps them in the discussion for one of the better benches but no way they have the best bench. INDY, DEN and BK's bench blow theirs out of the water.

Clippersfan86
10-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Stop it... Their backcourt is very solid but their frontcourt is horrendous. Jamison shouldn't even be in the league anymore and Mullens is a jump shooting big that isn't a great shooter. Clippers backcourt keeps them in the discussion for one of the better benches but no way they have the best bench. INDY, DEN and BK's bench blow theirs out of the water.

You're using a lot of strong language there. Backcourt is "solid" lol? How is CP3, Collison, Redick, Green, Crawford, Bullock just solid? Most likely the best backcourt in the entire league matched by only the Warriors possibly. Jamison was a 10/5 player last year and came into camp in great shape (played well in preseason so far and training camp scrimmages). You really can't expect more from a backup PF right now, although he will only last a year or two at most.

Backup center is an issue although it's not farfetched to think Mullens can be at least halfway decent under Doc considering he's just 24 and is coming off a decent season AS A STARTER. Now he's coming off the bench.

Collison
Crawford
Barnes
Jamison
Mullens

Is a lot more than good or solid. It's in the discussion for one of the best. Last year I heard the same crap from people. When we loaded up I said we would easily be the best bench and got laughed at. People swore the Nuggets would be. When you combine offense and defense the Clippers were the best bench in a landslide, over the Spurs, Nuggets and Bucks. Since when has a backup center been the difference between anything lol? You mean to tell me Mullens isn't an upgrade over Ronny Turiaf? Our bench collectively got stronger IMO with the addition of Jamison, Mullens, Bullock.

Rockice_8
10-09-2013, 05:08 PM
You're using a lot of strong language there. Backcourt is "solid" lol? How is CP3, Collison, Redick, Green, Crawford, Bullock just solid? Most likely the best backcourt in the entire league matched by only the Warriors possibly. Jamison was a 10/5 player last year and came into camp in great shape (played well in preseason so far and training camp scrimmages). You really can't expect more from a backup PF right now, although he will only last a year or two at most.

Backup center is an issue although it's not farfetched to think Mullens can be at least halfway decent under Doc considering he's just 24 and is coming off a decent season AS A STARTER. Now he's coming off the bench.

Collison
Crawford
Barnes
Jamison
Mullens

Is a lot more than good or solid. It's in the discussion for one of the best. Last year I heard the same crap from people. When we loaded up I said we would easily be the best bench and got laughed at. People swore the Nuggets would be. When you combine offense and defense the Clippers were the best bench in a landslide, over the Spurs, Nuggets and Bucks. Since when has a backup center been the difference between anything lol? You mean to tell me Mullens isn't an upgrade over Ronny Turiaf? Our bench collectively got stronger IMO with the addition of Jamison, Mullens, Bullock.

Considering we are talking about benches you can leave CP3/Reddick off the list. Yeah your backcourt bench is good 1-3. Jamison put up better numbers than I expected last year actually so props to him but there are two sides to the NBA court. None of the bench guys outside of Barnes would be considered above average defenders. Mullens is garbage I'm sticking to that statement and everyone outside of Barnes are below average defenders. Not all that impressed with the bench as being the best. They are probably in the top 5-6 but not the best. Reggie Bullock a late round rookie, that's like me propping up Mason Plumlee as a stud who probably won't see a minute of action. Hell Alan Anderson is solid and he probably will struggle to see time as well.

I still easily take BK and INDY and probably DEN's as well. MIA is very good as is teams like NYK/SAS. I'm not killing your bench it's good (maybe my words were a little strong) but it's not the best, it's just not. Top 5-6 ish.

Clippersfan86
10-09-2013, 06:17 PM
It's a trade off. Our bench got worse defensively and better offensively. Sure our bench was incredible defensively last year but they regularly went through huge scoring lulls, that likely won't happen anymore. Historically I think it's been shown to be more beneficial to have bench depth as scorers more than defensive stoppers. I'd rather have 3 guys off the bench that can score 15, than elite defenders who go through massive scoring lulls. Jamison and Mullens are mediocre defenders but maybe under Doc they will at least put effort into it?

As for Bullock he's 6th on the rookie ladder for a reason. He put up 18/5/4 or something like that during summer league and is one of the most NBA ready rookies, despite being drafted 25th. Normally I'd agree he wouldn't get burn but considering he's been close to Doc and his family for 5 or 6 years and worked his *** off with the team this summer, I'd say he has a better chance than normal. Besides I predict Crawford will be shipped ASAP, so Bullock will be the backup 2 along with Green probably.

AndrewBuckets20
10-13-2013, 03:15 PM
Shutup gaywad

smiddy012
10-13-2013, 03:40 PM

Whichever team Coach Thibodeau coaches! :)

But seriously, Bulls bench has been arguably the best in the league the last two seasons (granted they had more opportunities than most back-ups to prove themselves).

This year our second unit will be led by Taj Gibson. A defensive beast who may have FINALLY found his mid-range game, which for him could very well be the difference between being a career back up or seeing an all-star game or two.

And even before that he was regarded as a solid starting-caliber PF. He can play the 5 against most centers too. He could very well get more overall PT, especially in crunch time, at PF than Booz this season, that's how much better Taj is looking this year. To me he is the clearly better overall player over Booz if he can shoot well from mid-range consistently.

Taj, Hinrich, & Dunleavy we pretty much know what we'll get with. They are our second tier players, not good enough to start, but good enough to hang and/or improve the starters given the matchups/circumstances.

After that we essentially got Nazr, who is adequate, but not poor. Also the GOAT, whom I'm actually really happy we got - he looked great the season before last when he had a stint here. So two decent vets to provide further depth. Oh, and can't forget Jones, just another defensive wing stopper incase we already didn't have enough guys who could defend the perimeter...

So we got our 3 2nd tier players, 3 vets and then we got 2 fresh rookies who'll likely make the final roster, they are Snell (a wing) and Murphy (stretch big man). Murphy has looked good so far, wasn't sure if he was going to make the roster or not, looks like he will though. Snell is more of a mystery, as he's played conservatively so far, yet he is the higher pick. For Snell, it is much like was for Butler, he needs to develop his confidence. If just one of these two guys gets a decent amount of PT that will bode greatly for our depth, as Thibbs trust isn't earned easily.

The Bulls definitely don't have the best bench on paper, but that hasn't stopped them from having one of the best benches in the league the last two seasons (even when practically no one saw them coming).

Kashmir13579
10-13-2013, 04:34 PM
JR
Amare
Beno
MWP
Prigs
Kmart

Add in young guys with potential like Hardaway JR, Tyler, & Leslie.

That's a great, balanced bench. HUGE upgrade over last years 40 year old bench.
The only reason i can't confidently name the Knicks here is our PF and C depth is largely based on K-mart and Amar'e, one is old and the other is old and always injured. Our depth elsewhere is probably unmatched though.

Buckwheat
10-13-2013, 04:41 PM
The Cavs.

XiangYu_Kobe
10-13-2013, 04:51 PM
sorry, my English not too good, but what "deep" bench means?

amos1er
10-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Who's dup is XiangYu_Kobe? My guess is D-12 fan. Any other guesses?

Seizabmc
10-13-2013, 05:48 PM
The knicks have the deepest team .
There 2nd unit could all be starters on any team.
We have 3 PGs that are capable of starting and and the same goes for Sg, than at the 3 we got Ron Ron subbing in for melo and we are very deep at the 4 spot as well . The only concern I see is at the center position, Tyson can hold down the fort, but when he comes out we don't really have another true center to replace him . We have plenty of bigs who can do the job but it would be wise to find another true center to round out the roster .
And than we would definitely have the deepest bench in the league by far!!

east fb knicks
10-14-2013, 03:11 AM
on paper the knicks but if amare isn't healthy our bench would take a major hit so i'm probably going with the spurs and nuggets the clippers bench is overrated and the heats bench isn't that great either imo

TrueFan420
10-14-2013, 05:18 AM
Who's dup is XiangYu_Kobe? My guess is D-12 fan. Any other guesses?

It's clearly Douglas

TrueFan420
10-14-2013, 05:19 AM
The nuggs have the deepest bench but clippers, bulls, Knicks, warriors, spurs, heat and griz all have very nice benches as well.

Rndy
10-14-2013, 08:59 AM
on paper the knicks but if amare isn't healthy our bench would take a major hit so i'm probably going with the spurs and nuggets the clippers bench is overrated and the heats bench isn't that great either imo

shocker

rjkgr
10-14-2013, 04:45 PM
Clippers are probably the deepest bench to fill every position