PDA

View Full Version : NYR Prospects Had a Good Night. Dylan McIlrath First Pro Goal (Game Winner)

SLY WILLIAMS
10-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Around the Farm: McIlrath nets first pro goal in Wolfpack win

Dylan McIlrath notched his first professional goal, scoring the eventual game winner in Hartford’s 4-3 win over the Albany Devils. McIlrath scored 4:36 into the third period, and the goal held up as the winner. J.T. Miller (2 goals, 1 assist), Chris Kreider (1 goal), and Danny Kristo (2 assists) also had strong games.

Up north, Anthony Duclair and MacKenzie Skapski were in action for their respective CHL teams. Overseas, Calle Andersson notched an assist in Malmo’s 4-2 victory. Be sure to check after the jump for all the scoring lines for the prospects in action today/tonight.

http://www.blueseatblogs.com/2013/10/06/around-the-farm-mcilrath-nets-first-pro-goal-in-wolfpack-win/

NYY09
10-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Nice to see the Kreider put the biscuit in the basket, lets just hope that one day he figures out this crazy concept of playing well without the puck....

Kudos to Miller, that's the way you handle being sent down.

bsi
10-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Nice to see the Kreider put the biscuit in the basket, lets just hope that one day he figures out this crazy concept of playing well without the puck....

Lets hope Kreider realizes that he was being given a top line spot only to give it back with unispired play and effort. I think if miller had Kreiders skill set he would be on the team, unfortunately Kreider has some sort of sense of entitlement since getting fast tracked to the NHL in the playoffs, he doesnt have the drive Miller does, and I hope it rubs off on him.

NYY09
10-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Lets hope Kreider realizes that he was being given a top line spot only to give it back with unispired play and effort. I think if miller had Kreiders skill set he would be on the team, unfortunately Kreider has some sort of sense of entitlement since getting fast tracked to the NHL in the playoffs, he doesnt have the drive Miller does, and I hope it rubs off on him.

Well, if the recent demotion to the AHL, after getting first line minutes (and expectations) as you said, doesnt put things in perspective for him then it might be time to worry. On the other hand, maybe the guy just has a low hockey IQ and will be a late bloomer, either way its a bit discouraging.

Miller on the other hand is just a guy that makes it easy to root for him, can't wait till he gets a little seasoning in the minors and gets the chance to do it for the big club.

SLY WILLIAMS
10-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Did you guys see Dylan scored again?

No goals in his first 50 or so pro games but now 2 goals in his last 2 games. :)

Redfish
10-12-2013, 02:33 PM
http://www.hartfordwhalernation.com/hartford-hockey/ct-whale/

It was a pretty decent goal as well! Enjoy the highlights from last night's game.

SLY WILLIAMS
10-12-2013, 04:14 PM
http://www.hartfordwhalernation.com/hartford-hockey/ct-whale/

It was a pretty decent goal as well! Enjoy the highlights from last night's game.

I'm glad you posted that. The kid showed a nice pivot to skate backwards while taking the shot. I wish they showed his fight as well. :)

NYSPORTS98
10-13-2013, 09:59 PM

3 names the Rangers are really depending on. Kreider cannot be another Brendl.

bsi
10-13-2013, 10:02 PM

3 names the Rangers are really depending on. Kreider cannot be another Brendl.

He's gotta want it a little more from what I saw so far. McIlrath has to become something too, we need a physical player who can fight on our D.

NYSPORTS98
10-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Did you guys see Dylan scored again?

No goals in his first 50 or so pro games but now 2 goals in his last 2 games. :)

Did a "Big Whistle" ask him to shoot the puck?

I'll get ahead of myself now and recall when Scott Stevens became more than just a fighter/hitter.

Mr.Wiskers
10-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Asham and Biron were put on waivers, AV is sending a message---tho' the rumor was AV didn't like/want Biron, part of the reason we were quick to call in Hedberg when Biron asked for a couple of days to take care of a family issue early in camp.and Asham twitted this was his last chance---so he must have already been told the end was coming.
If Biron is claimed Talbot will be brought up, put who do you guys think gets called up for Asham---Powe,Miller,Krieder,Lindberg( I'm not gonna lie, I'd like to see Lindberg and Fast on a line together).

fingerbang
10-14-2013, 01:42 PM
I'd like to see them keep the kids down and just build some chemistry.

NYY09
10-14-2013, 01:55 PM
He's gotta want it a little more from what I saw so far. McIlrath has to become something too, we need a physical player who can fight on our D.

Agreed. This team becomes much different with those playing up to their potential.

SLY WILLIAMS
10-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Dylan now has 3 or 5 points in 8 games.

Here are 2 clips of recent fights as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAn8MNTSm8M#t=30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si2ci8sRzJM

SLY WILLIAMS
11-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Dylan had another goal last night. So weird to see him scoring. Nobody expected that despite his hard shot.

He now has 3 goals and 5 points in 11 games.

Hockey Futures put out an update on him on October 14th

Top Pro Defensive Prospect
Dylan McIlrath, D, Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL)

McIlrath has been in the Rangers system for three years, but it seems as though it has been longer. A tenth overall selection in 2010, McIlrath came with very high expectations, but was extremely raw when drafted. What he had was size and meanness, and the potential of being a great crease-clearing defenseman. The 2012-13 season was his first as a pro, and McIlrath had an up and down campaign, as there were times when he fought and looked fearsome, but more when he was totally invisible.

Early into the 2013-14 season, there is a noticeable difference. Paired with experienced veteran and team captain Aaron Johnson, McIlrath has played top-pairing minutes. His positioning has improved a great deal as has his heavy shot, which he is not afraid to use. When combined with his willingness to drop the gloves, McIlrath is beginning to look like the player the Rangers drafted him to be. He could get a look in New York later this season, but should be a regular in the NHL next season.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/96991/several-new-york-rangers-prospects-expected-to-have-big-seasons-in-2013-14/

bsi
11-02-2013, 02:19 PM
I kinda doubt we will see McIlrath this year unless we have a bunch of injuries really but good to see him progress.

SLY WILLIAMS
11-12-2013, 12:05 PM
Dylan impresses me so much. He is a policeman not a goon. He usually only fights while protecting his team. In the clip below he yanks a guy off the pile. He flips the guys bucket off lands some shots and takes him down. He could have really gave the guy a beat down but it looks like he just showed some mercy after realizing the guy was no match for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02VxU43gr4c

NYY09
11-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Dylan impresses me so much. He is a policeman not a goon. He usually only fights while protecting his team. In the clip below he yanks a guy off the pile. He flips the guys bucket off lands some shots and takes him down. He could have really gave the guy a beat down but it looks like he just showed some mercy after realizing the guy was no match for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02VxU43gr4c

Dylan would be such a huge piece to add, I hope that he keeps on trucking and makes it to the show soon. He is exactly what the blue-line needs.

bsi
11-12-2013, 02:13 PM
He has been benefitting from playing with Aaron Johnson, guess he has been helping him along and offering advice and such. Good to see Aaron take on that role.

NYY09
11-12-2013, 05:38 PM
He has been benefitting from playing with Aaron Johnson, guess he has been helping him along and offering advice and such. Good to see Aaron take on that role.

Interesting, good to hear. Plus i would imagine having Beuk around helps a bit too.... ;)

Redfish
12-10-2013, 09:23 AM
I came across this very recent Gordie Clarke summary of where some of our prospects are in their development; although the timing of McIlrath's preparedness for the NHL cannot occur soon enough, in the big scheme of things, it sounds like he should be a very nice player for years to come.

http://www.nyrangersblog.com/2013-articles/december/rangers-director-of-player-personnel-gordie-clark-talks-prospects.html

NYSPORTS98
01-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Any updates on his latest knee injury?

SLY WILLIAMS
01-05-2014, 12:08 PM
I think they are going to reexamine it this week. Great kid. Tough break. We have had our share of bad luck injury wise with good prospects.

redwhiteandblue
01-05-2014, 05:13 PM
That is nothing short of true.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-06-2014, 06:44 PM
Dylan McIlrath, out with knee injury sustained with AHL Wolf Pack on 12/21, skated today for first time without issue.

I'm so happy to read this!

redwhiteandblue
01-06-2014, 06:53 PM
Very nice!

metswon69
01-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Awesome. I hope we see him again in a Ranger uniform at some point during the season. I know he's still raw but I love his toughness.

IAmARanger18
01-08-2014, 10:14 AM
If DZ is moved, and he's healthy, he will probably be re-called.

bsi
01-08-2014, 10:18 AM
I personally dont think his skating or decision making is quite there yet. Outside of taking on McGratton he really didnt play that well and its why he isnt still playing.

Redfish
01-08-2014, 12:20 PM
I personally dont think his skating or decision making is quite there yet. Outside of taking on McGratton he really didnt play that well and its why he isnt still playing.

You may be right. My biggest concern with McIlrath is whether he fits for our current coach. AV prefers very strong skaters --- McIlrath himself stated after he was sent down to Hartford he understands he cannot skate as well as Moore or Del Zotto; that sounds like a repeat of what the coaches told him there reasoning was. And, to make matters worse, AV had a very difficult time in the post-game interview after the fight with McGratton to acknowledge that type of fight could inspire a team intra-game. I'd encourage you to go back and listen to that interview -- it was a setup question for AV, and he struggled to commend McIlrath, even though his teammates were widely quoted the next day as saying it had an impact in the game (and led to his Broadway hat).

I don't have confidence on this one with AV, unfortunately.

bsi
01-08-2014, 01:44 PM

You may be right. My biggest concern with McIlrath is whether he fits for our current coach. AV prefers very strong skaters --- McIlrath himself stated after he was sent down to Hartford he understands he cannot skate as well as Moore or Del Zotto; that sounds like a repeat of what the coaches told him there reasoning was. And, to make matters worse, AV had a very difficult time in the post-game interview after the fight with McGratton to acknowledge that type of fight could inspire a team intra-game. I'd encourage you to go back and listen to that interview -- it was a setup question for AV, and he struggled to commend McIlrath, even though his teammates were widely quoted the next day as saying it had an impact in the game (and led to his Broadway hat).

I don't have confidence on this one with AV, unfortunately.

The problem is that at this point he isnt a better option than Stu Bickel really, maybe a better shot but thats about it really. He has to get quicker and smarter, he is only young so he has time, I just hope he listens to the coaches when they tell him there's a problem with his speed.

Redfish
01-08-2014, 05:00 PM
The problem is that at this point he isnt a better option than Stu Bickel really, maybe a better shot but thats about it really. He has to get quicker and smarter, he is only young so he has time, I just hope he listens to the coaches when they tell him there's a problem with his speed.

I disagree. McIlrath is head and shoulders above Stu Bickel; not even close, from what I understand. It's odd; I've monitored McIlrath closely and his skating has never been an issue up until he played for AV. He is no slower than Girardi; has greater reach and is much more physical. He needs NHL level IQ, and that will come with greater playing experience, along with other areas of his game developing. I'm not concenred here if the organization handles this correctly. AV has given me a red flag, so far, but it was one stint, and his first one at that.. Nothing to be too alarmed about.

bsi
01-08-2014, 06:24 PM

I disagree. McIlrath is head and shoulders above Stu Bickel; not even close, from what I understand. It's odd; I've monitored McIlrath closely and his skating has never been an issue up until he played for AV. He is no slower than Girardi; has greater reach and is much more physical. He needs NHL level IQ, and that will come with greater playing experience, along with other areas of his game developing. I'm not concenred here if the organization handles this correctly. AV has given me a red flag, so far, but it was one stint, and his first one at that.. Nothing to be too alarmed about.

He may not be slower than Girardi but his quickness is not close. Stopping and starting again quick is still an issue and thats where he gets caught chasing in the corners, same as Stu did. He didn't play well enough to stay, as I said before without his fight all we would have talked about was the missed body contact that happened a couple times that game, one that caused a goal. Dont get me wrong, I think the kid is gonna be a good NHL'er but he needs work right now, mostly on his skating and as you said his hockey iq. He's young, he will hopefully get the early message being sent to him. This doesn't reflect negatively on AV, he didn't deserve to stay in the lineup with his play.

Redfish
01-08-2014, 07:34 PM
He may not be slower than Girardi but his quickness is not close. Stopping and starting again quick is still an issue and thats where he gets caught chasing in the corners, same as Stu did. He didn't play well enough to stay, as I said before without his fight all we would have talked about was the missed body contact that happened a couple times that game, one that caused a goal. Dont get me wrong, I think the kid is gonna be a good NHL'er but he needs work right now, mostly on his skating and as you said his hockey iq. He's young, he will hopefully get the early message being sent to him. This doesn't reflect negatively on AV, he didn't deserve to stay in the lineup with his play.

I understand. The analogy with Bickel is what stood out to me because I personally doubt Bickel will ever play another NHL game. But that's clearly not what you were implying with McIlrath. One good thing is he is back skating so he can resume playing again and possibly be positioned for another call-up down the road.