PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Beverley COMPLETELY shuts down Jrue Holiday (video)

spreadeagle
10-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Lol at the bolded part, im pretty sure he caused an over and back to that wasn't called
But what stole the show may have been the defensive play of Patrick Beverley in the early fourth quarter against New Orleans newcomer Jrue Holiday. This was ownership, head games of the highest order. Beverley flat picked Holiday’s pocket three times with on-the-ball pressure, then sandwiched those around a fourth block-like steal. Keep in mind — this is a player that was an All-Star point guard last year in the East. Yes, Holiday is turnover-prone, but what Beverley did to him shows how elite his defensive play can be for stretches.

“During my playing time, you’d punch Beverley in the face,” said Calvin Murphy in the postgame. “You can’t have him taking the ball from you in front of your mama and your wife.”

Take a look. http://rockets.clutchfans.net/5094/patrick-beverley-dominates-jrue-holiday-video/ completely

UPRock
10-06-2013, 11:48 PM
Patrick Beverley is good at defense.

5ass
10-06-2013, 11:50 PM
i watched the game, he made him look like a ****ing scrub who cant even dribble the ball up the court.

houstonfan
10-07-2013, 12:07 AM
This is hilarious... I know its preseason but come on. Jrue just got embarassed.

John Walls Era
10-07-2013, 12:12 AM
preseason. These players aren't even in shape yet. The quotes funny though.

Clippersfan86
10-07-2013, 01:26 AM
Poor Man's Bledsoe. Good stuff though.

CityofChaos
10-07-2013, 02:06 AM
Man, if only Steph Curry had defense like that Oh my...

kinda makes me wish the Warriors had someone like avery bradley or beverly

spreadeagle
10-07-2013, 02:06 AM
preseason. These players aren't even in shape yet. The quotes funny though.
I know nothing about boxing but that sig is hilarious, poor guy getting a straight beatdown

Htownballa1622
10-07-2013, 02:47 AM

"Poor Man's" examples usually are for when the player being compared as the poor man is much more inferior than the other.

There isn't that big of a gap between the two.

beasted86
10-07-2013, 02:54 AM
"Poor Man's" examples usually are for when the player being compared as the poor man is much more inferior than the other.

There isn't that big of a gap between the two.

Aside from that Beverley is a better on ball defender than Bledsoe.

Htownballa1622
10-07-2013, 03:07 AM

I'll admit I haven't seen enough Bledsoe to attest to that but i'm sure i'll be able to tell more now that he's in Phoenix.

DallasTrilla23
10-07-2013, 07:53 AM
I saw this. Jrue fouled out in that last steal too lol

I Rock Shaqs
10-07-2013, 09:34 AM

I used to think you were a serious poster but now every post I just see you as one of the Clippers dance team members. With BG shirtless posters on your wall.

Clippersfan86
10-07-2013, 10:38 AM

Not really. Similar man defender but superior at racking up steals and blocks. Htown when people say Beverley first thing I think of is a worse Bledsoe. Look at their PER 36 and metrics and you'll see a very similar player but a worse version. In fact I think Bballreference has them as the closest match on their similarity score. I do like Beverley quite a bit, was just saying what came to mind.

jstone0716
10-07-2013, 11:18 AM
I used to think you were a serious poster but now every post I just see you as one of the Clippers dance team members. With BG shirtless posters on your wall.

I thought I was the only one..

Clippersfan86
10-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Lol Stone coming from you that's priceless brother.

Goose17
10-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Man, if only Steph Curry had defense like that Oh my...

kinda makes me wish the Warriors had someone like avery bradley or beverly

You mean like Toney Douglas or Andre Iguodala?

And like someone said, it's only preseason, the performances during these games mean almost nothing in terms of what would happen in a competitive non-exhibition game. But let's give credit where it's due, everyone knows Beverley can defend.

Federal Reserve
10-07-2013, 12:33 PM
No one takes preseason seriously. Holiday was dribbling the basketball with no care. This is a typical story made by people who think warm ups mean anything.

KnickaBocka.44
10-07-2013, 01:13 PM
You mean like Toney Douglas or Andre Iguodala?

And like someone said, it's only preseason, the performances during these games mean almost nothing in terms of what would happen in a competitive non-exhibition game. But let's give credit where it's due, everyone knows Beverley can defend.

It's pretty comical you would mention that name.

KnickaBocka.44
10-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Every time Beverley plays for the first 6 weeks of the season he will, technically, be shutting down whatever PG is he is guarding and Russell Westbrook. Give him the DPOY already.

FNM BOY
10-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Its truly amazing to see the kind of insiginificant things some people get off on...smh

RipCity32
10-07-2013, 03:01 PM
That's embarrassing, Preseason or not Jrue had to be getting pretty frustrated.

Goose17
10-07-2013, 03:05 PM
It's pretty comical you would mention that name.

He's a very good one-on-one defender. Your Knicks expected too much from him so you slate him, Knicks fans in general underrate him because he never lived up to their expectations, but he's not a bad player at all. He has some major flaws but defense isn't one of them. I can't blame him for not playing well as a distributer when the Knicks spacing was so atrocious (Chandler-Melo-Amare made for some ugly scenes back then).

He has the lateral quickness, strength and wingspan to guard almost any point guard, he plays very aggressively on that end and hounds people constantly always pressuring the ball.

I'll never forget watching him lock up Curry, Steph ended up shooting less than 30% that night. I can only think of three other point guards I've seen consistently lock Steph up like that, I mean he's had bad shooting nights mostly due to his own misfortunes than the defense, but to be locked up like that? It takes a very good defender to be capable of that. I also remember watching him play the Clippers last year, he held CP3 to 20% from the field. This isn't some sort of Dubs homer opinion (well, not entirely) I've been a fan of his defensive game for a while now. On average he forced 5 turnovers per game against opposing point guards last season during his time with Sacramento, his on/off numbers were good to, when he was on the floor the opponent averaged 108.4 Points per 100, with him off the floor they hit 112.9 points per 100. When he was on the floor the opponents eFG% was 50.2% when off the court they netted 51.9%. So when he was on the court the opponent shot 1.7% worse and scored 4.5 points less per 100.

He wasn't an ACC Defensive Player of the Year for nothing.

Bruno
10-07-2013, 04:24 PM
the second i saw this I knew I wasn't going to be taking jeremy lin in fantasy. this dude is gona steal some of his minutes.

OKC/Houston will be exciting this year.