PDA

View Full Version : 6th Annual PSD Player Rankings #6 Player In The NBA? (Volume: VI)

Mile High Champ
10-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Hey guys, It is that time of year again! Once again we kick of the PSD NBA Off-Season Player Rankings. This is the 6th year I have done this on PSD and it always brings some great discussion and debate. Please keep things civil and discuss who you feel is most fitting and deserving of being voted in each poll.

A lot has changed since last season. Lebron James and the Miami Heat are back to back NBA champions after an exciting 7 game series win over the Spurs. Let start the discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 5 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

In terms of adding players to the poll, it will be done like this.

As soon as Chris Paul goes off the board, I will add other PG's.
As soon as James Harden goes off the board, I will add other SG's
As soon as Kevin Love goes off the board, I will add other PF's.

And so on and so on..

This is to ensure that players that won their respective positions get a higher place in the list. One of the goals of these polls is to maintain some continuity between the polls we completed to the final player poll we are currently voting.

2013 NBA Off-Season Player Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Chris Paul
4) Tim Duncan
5) James Harden
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)

2012 NBA Off-Season Player Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3) Dwight Howard
4) Chris Paul
5) Kobe Bryant
6) Dwyane Wade
7) Kevin Love
8) Derrick Rose
9) Dirk Nowitzki
10) Russell Westbrook
11) Carmelo Anthony
12) Deron Williams
13) Andrew Bynum
14) Rajon Rondo
15) Tony Parker & Kevin Garnett

2011 Off-Season Best Player Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Dwight Howard
3) Dwyane Wade
4) Chris Paul
5) Dirk Nowitzki
6) Kobe Bryant
7) Kevin Durant
8) Derrick Rose
9) Deron Williams
10) Carmelo Anthony

2010 Off-Season Best Player Rankings

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Lebron James
3) Dwyane Wade
4) Kevin Durant
5) Chris Paul
6) Dwight Howard
7) Carmelo Anthony
8) Dirk Nowitzki
9) Deron Williams
10) Tim Duncan - Pau Gasol Tie

2009 Off-Season Best Player Rankings

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Lebron James
3) Dwayne Wade
4) Chris Paul
5) Dwight Howard
6) Tim Duncan
7) Dirk Nowitzki
8) Carmelo Anthony
9) Kevin Garnett
10) Brandon Roy

tredigs
10-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Considering he's currently in Germany, I'll take Kobe.

SteBO
10-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Tony Parker here......Dwight next probably.

Minimal
10-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Kobe

Chronz
10-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Giving Kobe the benefit of the doubt here, that he will eventually return to form (at least 90% of what he was). I understand those who would vote for Dwight

Kashmir13579
10-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Giving Kobe the benefit of the doubt here, that he will eventually return to form (at least 90% of what he was). I understand those who would vote for Dwight

LOL your sig

xxplayerxx23
10-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Melo had a better year then anyone left.
Melo
Dwight
Parker
Kobe
But Kobe will win here

DR_1
10-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Lol at the Knicks fans thinking Melo is a top 5 player

SugeKnight
10-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Parker again

xxplayerxx23
10-04-2013, 09:11 PM

Coming from you this is comedy

Chronz
10-04-2013, 10:06 PM
LOL your sig
Hasn't shown his face since this massive brain fart. I think hes realized that hes been exposed, the depths to which the kobephiles will go to protect their hero and bash Bron is unmatched by any other group of fanatics.

Dade County
10-05-2013, 01:21 AM
Melo or Parker here.

xxplayerxx23
10-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Knew Kobe would win it's such a joke lol

b@llhog24
10-05-2013, 12:56 PM
If Melo had an even average playoff run I'd be all over this ****. But...

xxplayerxx23
10-05-2013, 02:26 PM
If Melo had an even average playoff run I'd be all over this ****. But...

Yeah regardless Parker Howard and melo are all better then Kobe IMO

tredigs
10-05-2013, 03:33 PM

Any reasons why?

nycericanguy
10-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Can't believe Harden went #4... Kinda scewed these rankings for me. I would have put Wade, Melo, Kobe, and maybe even Howard & Parker over Harden.

Guy shoots 43% on a 45 win team and thats enough to catapult him over the games greats? I mean I get that he got to the FT line a lot, but I mean that's not enough for me...

Sometimes I think people just like voting for the new flavor and the new hot thing.

tredigs
10-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Can't believe Harden went #4... Kinda scewed these rankings for me. I would have put Wade, Melo, Kobe, and maybe even Howard & Parker over Harden.

Guy shoots 43% on a 45 win team and thats enough to catapult him over the games greats? I mean I get that he got to the FT line a lot, but I mean that's not enough for me...

Sometimes I think people just like voting for the new flavor and the new hot thing.

Funny seeing this stat still being brought up. 3PT VOLUME. CONSIDER IT.

Use eFG% if for some strange reason you want to ignore a players skill at drawing contact and hitting their shots.

xxplayerxx23
10-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Any reasons why?

Parker and melo had better years and I think Howard is going to come back next year. I think when he is healthy he is the 4th best

xxplayerxx23
10-05-2013, 03:46 PM

Harden's advance stats are ****ing crazy. He was the team there is nobody else on that team carrying the load with him

tredigs
10-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Parker and melo had better years and I think Howard is going to come back next year. I think when he is healthy he is the 4th best

Hah. OK then, moving on.

Kashmir13579
10-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Hasn't shown his face since this massive brain fart. I think hes realized that hes been exposed, the depths to which the kobephiles will go to protect their hero and bash Bron is unmatched by any other group of fanatics.

What would this forum be without you, Chronz? I don't wanna imagine. :laugh2:

Kashmir13579
10-05-2013, 04:12 PM
I think i might hop on the 'Melo brigade starting next round. TP is a logical choice too, but we've already submitted that he wasn't the best player on his team this year. 'Melo gets a lot of criticism on this site, and rightfully so, but to be fair i haven't seen much praise after the career year he just had - while playing for what i would consider to be one of his less talented teams.

Also, many of the players we had before 'Melo in previous years either had injuries or have taken a step back, while 'Melo took a leap forward. It looks like Kobe will take this one, 'Melo has similar stats, if not marginally better in some areas. (PER, WS/48) Its his turn next.

nycericanguy
10-05-2013, 04:26 PM
Funny seeing this stat still being brought up. 3PT VOLUME. CONSIDER IT.

Use eFG% if for some strange reason you want to ignore a players skill at drawing contact and hitting their shots.

I've considered it, Melo hit just as many 3's in less playing time.

Harden had a great year, I just think its way too soon to be putting him over guys like Wade, Kobe & Melo. It's not like Harden took his team to the ECF or 55 wins. He had his team struggling to stay a few games over .500 most of the year.

b@llhog24
10-05-2013, 04:32 PM
I've considered it, Melo hit just as many 3's in less playing time.

Harden had a great year, I just think its way too soon to be putting him over guys like Wade, Kobe & Melo. It's not like Harden took his team to the ECF or 55 wins. He had his team struggling to stay a few games over .500 most of the year.

Lol you're acting as if his team was stacked or something. Most predicted they would end up in the lottery after the Harden acquisition.

Longhornfan1234
10-05-2013, 04:34 PM
LOL...how is Duncan the fourth best player? I have to look at that thread.

b@llhog24
10-05-2013, 04:35 PM
I understand the whole "I don't want to anoint a player until he proves it more" angle. But he's been doing what he's doing now in OKC, he just got more touches. While last year Melo played like ****, Harden was producing like a mother****a in OKC. If anyone has to prove themselves, it's Melo.

b@llhog24
10-05-2013, 04:36 PM

System setup + Injuries.

nycericanguy
10-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Lol you're acting as if his team was stacked or something. Most predicted they would end up in the lottery after the Harden acquisition.

I don't think anyone realistically had HOU in the lottery after that trade.

Chandler Parsons and Jeremy Lin had much better, more efficient years than JR & Felton who were NY's 2nd and 3rd guys.

Kashmir13579
10-05-2013, 04:39 PM

Its the crappy voting format that put him there, not the intuition of the voters.

Kashmir13579
10-05-2013, 04:42 PM

Chandler Parsons and Jeremy Lin had much better, more efficient years than JR & Felton who were NY's 2nd and 3rd guys.

Why do Knicks fans feel the need to act like Tyson Chandler is a red headed step child? He was our 2nd guy. It isn't a debate unless you really believe the 6moy award is tangible evidence when comparing players.

Bruno
10-05-2013, 04:49 PM
MHC, are we doing 10 or 15 this year?

Chronz
10-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Why do Knicks fans feel the need to act like Tyson Chandler is a red headed step child? He was our 2nd guy. It isn't a debate unless you really believe the 6moy award is tangible evidence when comparing players.

Bcuz BUCKETZ

Kashmir13579
10-05-2013, 04:57 PM
bcuz bucketz
JR SMiFF DOE...

b@llhog24
10-05-2013, 04:57 PM

There's not so much thinking that it happened. It did happen. You weren't around for all those Harden/Houston prediction threads that me/ChiSox/KOB/baller kept ranting in?

b@llhog24
10-05-2013, 05:19 PM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?774603-James-Harden-traded-to-Rockets-for-Kevin-Martin-and-Jeremy-Lamb

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?775543-James-Harden-extends-with-Houston-5-years-80M-The-everything-Harden-thread&highlight=Harden

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?774992-James-Harden-worth-max-contract&highlight=Harden

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?775964-OKC-Thunder-James-Harden-Trade-Discussion-Thread&highlight=Harden

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?777917-Was-the-Hype-for-Harden-premature&highlight=Harden

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?774609-Project-Harden-s-stats-in-Houston&highlight=Harden

Here's many of the threads where people where talking **** about Harden/Rockets. I remember the last one being pretty bad.

Chronz
10-05-2013, 05:37 PM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?774609-Project-Harden-s-stats-in-Houston&highlight=Harden

Here's many of the threads where people where talking **** about Harden/Rockets. I remember the last one being pretty bad.

We should revisit this thread. me and kblo had abet going

nycericanguy
10-05-2013, 06:36 PM

Tyson's a very unique player.

I agree he's our 2nd best player, but he's not really "help" for Melo on offense.

I mean you can make a case that Noah is CHI's 2nd best player, but Rose still needs help offensively. Boozer & Deng are really his #2 and #3 options.

If you look around the league, our 2nd and 3rd scorers last year were downright pathetic. You know I was never a huge Melo fan, but what he's done with this cast has impressed me.

I mean I would take Chandler Parsons over JR or Felton in a heartbeat 24/7.

nycericanguy
10-05-2013, 06:37 PM
There's not so much thinking that it happened. It did happen. You weren't around for all those Harden/Houston prediction threads that me/ChiSox/KOB/baller kept ranting in?

I guess I wasn't, but I mean a team with Harden, Parsons, Patterson, Lin, Asik and solid young players shouldn't have a problem making the playoffs.

Kashmir13579
10-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Tyson's a very unique player.

I agree he's our 2nd best player, but he's not really "help" for Melo on offense.

I mean you can make a case that Noah is CHI's 2nd best player, but Rose still needs help offensively. Boozer & Deng are really his #2 and #3 options.

If you look around the league, our 2nd and 3rd scorers last year were downright pathetic. You know I was never a huge Melo fan, but what he's done with this cast has impressed me.

I mean I would take Chandler Parsons over JR or Felton in a heartbeat 24/7.
Chandler's ability to score efficiently without eating up touches or possessions is likely one of the best helps 'Melo has had on offense. It literally caters perfectly to 'Melo's ball dominant style of play. If you want to say Chandler's inability to score with his back to the basket negatively affects 'Melo's offensive game, i would tell you thats factually wrong, coming off the heels of 'Melo's hands down best year offensively, in both bulk and efficiency.

I know you will go on to mention the Pacers series, and before you do i'll knock it on the head by stating the FACT that our REAL number #2 and #3 were playing through severe injuries, and any reference you make to that series should immediately be whitewashed as completely inadmissible.

tredigs
10-05-2013, 07:05 PM
I guess I wasn't, but I mean a team with Harden, Parsons, Patterson, Lin, Asik and solid young players shouldn't have a problem making the playoffs.

Easy to Monday night QB that one. It definitely wasn't the consensus, and without Harden playing high-end All Star ball for the entire season, they weren't making it. You have to remember that the first lotto team out West is generally a 6 seed in the East.

DR_1
10-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Coming from you this is comedy

Trolling player >>> :laugh2:

ManRam
10-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Kirby was better than those guys last year, but I highly doubt he'll be better than any of them this upcoming year.

But I voted for him. TP was close, and Kobe's piss poor defense made it closer than usual, but I still went with Kobe. He was great last year all things considered

BklynKnicks3
10-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Lol james harden and toney parker ahead of Melo and kobe what a joke. If parker didn't play his whole career with Duncan he wouldn't be a top 30 player. What has harden done to be above Melo. He is 3rd in mvp lol u people need to be tested

BklynKnicks3
10-06-2013, 12:15 PM
He is actually top 3 :) Finished 3rd in mvp for a reason got knicks to 54 wins without a 2nd star

Bookey
10-06-2013, 12:33 PM
This list is horrible

DR_1
10-06-2013, 02:04 PM
He is actually top 3 :) Finished 3rd in mvp for a reason got knicks to 54 wins without a 2nd star

:laugh: Melo better than CP3? James Harden? Duncan? I don't think so :laugh2:

KnicksorBust
10-06-2013, 03:29 PM

:clap:

Mile High Champ
10-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Chandler's ability to score efficiently without eating up touches or possessions is likely one of the best helps 'Melo has had on offense. It literally caters perfectly to 'Melo's ball dominant style of play. If you want to say Chandler's inability to score with his back to the basket negatively affects 'Melo's offensive game, i would tell you thats factually wrong, coming off the heels of 'Melo's hands down best year offensively, in both bulk and efficiency.

I know you will go on to mention the Pacers series, and before you do i'll knock it on the head by stating the FACT that our REAL number #2 and #3 were playing through severe injuries, and any reference you make to that series should immediately be whitewashed as completely inadmissible.

It happened, can't ignore it. Knicks got rocked and Tyson was simply not very good.

Kashmir13579
10-06-2013, 05:30 PM
It happened, can't ignore it. Knicks got rocked and Tyson was simply not very good.
I can ignore you though, since you simply lack context or knowledge as to what actually happened in that series. Nice empty statement, MCH. Shows where your head is at.

D-Leethal
10-06-2013, 06:47 PM

I can understand the argument from a team perspective, Tyson's ability to get an efficient 10 points off dunks, putbacks without needing true touches or plays ran for him balances things out when you have high volume scorers like JR and Melo, but for Melo himself, there is no way Tyson's presence on offense is making his life easier. Melo having his best season playing with Tyson doesn't really mean much when you look at the Cs he has played with in the past. He has never really had much of a threat at that position. You can't directly attribute Melo having his best season to Tyson Chandler being there. He had monster seasons with Marcus Camby too.

Even if Tyson was healthy, what the hell is he going to do to prevent Roy Hibbert from forming a 7'5" roadblock at the rim? Tyson's inability to draw defenders or be any sort of threat with the ball is a big reason that great defensive anchors completely shut us down last year. The Noah's, Hibbert's, Asik's of the world completely dominated us because we didn't have anyone to make them work prevent them from playing roaming free safety in the paint.

alexander_37
10-06-2013, 08:28 PM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?774603-James-Harden-traded-to-Rockets-for-Kevin-Martin-and-Jeremy-Lamb

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?775543-James-Harden-extends-with-Houston-5-years-80M-The-everything-Harden-thread&highlight=Harden

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?774992-James-Harden-worth-max-contract&highlight=Harden

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?775964-OKC-Thunder-James-Harden-Trade-Discussion-Thread&highlight=Harden

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?777917-Was-the-Hype-for-Harden-premature&highlight=Harden

I love how no one who talked **** would EVER own up to any of it.

mrblisterdundee
10-07-2013, 12:10 AM

We don't know yet, and betting against Kobe has usually been a losing proposition. There's a good chance that he'll be slower and down near 20 points per game. But there's no reason he can't facilitate and still hit big shots in the clutch. Add that to his leadership, and you've still got a pretty good player.

Guppyfighter
10-07-2013, 02:58 AM
I am sorry, Kobe is not the sixth best player in the league. Completely ridiculous.

KnicksorBust
10-07-2013, 04:24 PM

Roy Hibbert is simply a terrible matchup for him. You can't ignore how valuable Chandler has been to the Knicks over the last two seasons. You put a replacement level C in for him and we're a bubble playoff team instead of the #2 seed.

BklynKnicks3
10-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Melo harden is not even close, Melo duncan is laughable at this stage of duncans career. Cp3 melo is close but ill take the scoring machine over the pg. You dont need a great pf to win rings it has been proven last 25 years. Parker is not great he is not even a top 5 pg to me. He just plays for the best team out of the top pgs with the best coach and won 3 rings with the best pf ever. Duncan at his best is obv better then Melo right now he is not
:laugh: Melo better than CP3? James Harden? Duncan? I don't think so :laugh2:

TrueFan420
10-08-2013, 03:08 AM
This list is horrible

Agreed love shouldn't be the top pf and because of it we might not even see a pf make the list. Dirk should be on the list over love.

alexander_37
10-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Melo harden is not even close, Melo duncan is laughable at this stage of duncans career. Cp3 melo is close but ill take the scoring machine over the pg. You dont need a great pf to win rings it has been proven last 25 years. Parker is not great he is not even a top 5 pg to me. He just plays for the best team out of the top pgs with the best coach and won 3 rings with the best pf ever. Duncan at his best is obv better then Melo right now he is not

:laugh: so much :laugh:

Guppyfighter
10-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Yeah, that Melo post was painful to read.

DreamShaker
10-09-2013, 03:58 AM
Really weird rankings so far. I guess that happens when so many guys at the top are injured or have been injured. Harden number 5 is pretty crazy. Coming from a massive Rockets fan and a huge Harden supporter. I would put Kobe, Parker, or Howard here...but this is so strange with all the injuries and question marks. A fully healthy Kobe, Westbrook, Rose, Love, Dirk, and Wade really shake things up. But does anyone feel confident in any of those guys?