PDA

View Full Version : Kareem Blasts Dwight, is he correct?

L8kers4life
10-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Here is the link, Thoughts?
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9764692&categoryid=2459788

L8kers4life
10-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Personally as a Lakers fan, I find some of what Kareem says correct, but I'm ready to see how mad Rockets fan will be when they see this thread. I expect to hear things like, Kareem is old and doesn't understand the game now, or Lakers fans are just bitter, or Kobe ran him out of town. But my thoughts are, if Kareem speaks we should listen, this is one of the greatest basketball players that the world has ever seen, and he has been coached by some of the greatest coaches ever (Wooden, Riley). He is going out of his way to point out these flaws with Dwight, is he on to something?

Bruno
10-04-2013, 02:35 PM
of course he is. everyone knows this, KAJ is just a big enough of a **** to come out and say it publicly.

SteBO
10-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Can't see the link at work...what'd he say?

More-Than-Most
10-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Can't see the link at work...what'd he say?

Probably just more Jealousy and hate... You get that now days from guys like Jordan and on down the list. Its a way to keep themselves in the spotlight and devalue others one way or another.

Thank God Stockton isnt a dick or he would be destroying CP3 every chance he got

UPRock
10-04-2013, 02:54 PM
I agree with him, hopefully Dwight prove him and everyone else wrong.

More-Than-Most
10-04-2013, 02:58 PM
This would never be said if Dwight remained with the lakers... And that is my main issue.

jstone0716
10-04-2013, 03:01 PM
Couldn't agree more

koberulesall
10-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Probably just more Jealousy and hate... You get that now days from guys like Jordan and on down the list. Its a way to keep themselves in the spotlight and devalue others one way or another.

Thank God Stockton isnt a dick or he would be destroying CP3 every chance he got

ppl only think what makes them feel better this is a good example right here

foonaka
10-04-2013, 03:18 PM
This would never be said if Dwight remained with the lakers... And that is my main issue.

As a life long Lakers fan (since 1979) I was saying all of this BEFORE the Lakers got Dwight. I did not want him because he is not a smart player and I think Kareem was spot on with all of his comments.

I'm just glad Dwight's not a Laker anymore. I couldn't take another game with him dropping the ball in the paint or quitting in transition. Or even just quitting altogether. He's got to be the most overrated player in NBA history.

Go back and watch some of the great centers play (Ewing, Kareem, Wilt, Hakeem, Shaq...especially Shaq, who Dwight gets compared to so much) and then watch Dwight play. You'll see the difference immediately. The difference is that those guys had the smarts to take over any game they wanted to, while Dwight has no clue how to do that. Sure, he'll give you 18 & 12 every night, but he's NOT a winner and does not fit the mold of a champion, just like Kareem is saying here.

Iron24th
10-04-2013, 03:21 PM

Wrong, KAJ criticized Bynum when he was still a Laker.

BigBlueCrew
10-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Totally agree with Kareem. Dwight still acts like a child and needs to grow up. People try to help him out and one way or the other he tells them to **** off.

Mr.SmackYoMama
10-04-2013, 03:44 PM
I'm so tired of Dwight Howard....He's overrated. Is he good hell yes he's damn good, is he great.......Not by a long shot!

Chronz
10-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Cant listen to it right now but does he come off petty? Thats the main reason this guy cant land a gig in the NBA, constructive criticism isn't his forte

kdspurman
10-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Cant listen to it right now but does he come off petty? Thats the main reason this guy cant land a gig in the NBA, constructive criticism isn't his forte

Basically said Dwight's BBIQ isn't where it needs to be, for him to be a dominant player. Said he has flaws on both ends of the court, no go to move... Also mentioned he had to prepare Gasol/Bynum for Dwight in the 09 finals and said it was an easy job cause by taking some stuff away from Dwight on the court, he doesn't have an answer for it

He also said Dwight is a really bright young man, charismatic, speaks well, and intelligent and very athletic.

Didn't sound petty to me (in this interview) just sounded like what most a lot of people feel when talking about Dwight.

Chronz
10-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Basically said Dwight's BBIQ isn't where it needs to be, for him to be a dominant player. Said he has flaws on both ends of the court, no go to move... Also mentioned he had to prepare Gasol/Bynum for Dwight in the 09 finals and said it was an easy job cause by taking some stuff away from Dwight on the court, he doesn't have an answer for it

He also said Dwight is a really bright young man, charismatic, speaks well, and intelligent and very athletic.

Didn't sound petty to me (in this interview) just sounded like what most a lot of people feel when talking about Dwight.

That was Dwight's best season too. The guy looked like Shaq against Clevelands overmatched/injured frontline but every other playoff team was able to play him 1 on 1. Perk shut his happy *** down and then Bynum+Pau did the same. Really lets you know how ****** Clevelands team was when you allow Dwight of all people look like Shaq.

L8kers4life
10-04-2013, 04:29 PM

Your right about that Chronz, he actually was on Larry King earlier this week talking about why he never got a shot to coach, it sounded like he never had a shot and it is probably because he can be harsh at times. But I do thino there is some merritt to what he is saying, but I also think he is firing back after Dwights comments about working with Hakeem instead of KJ.

ghettosean
10-04-2013, 04:47 PM

I can see that he might have been a little upset about the way Dwight is praising Hakeem (just like he talked about how much he was looking forward to working with Gasol to work on his offensive game). Honestly though when you look at what he said he was absolutely right... Dwight has all the PHYSICAL gifts to be on the all time top center list but you can tell he's mentally weak and doesn't have the drive like other greats before him... He's more interested in joking around and saying things like "I'm successful even if I end my career with no rings I'm not going to cry about it"... What great player has ever said anything even close to stuff like this. Hopefully Dwight gets it together and works hard on his game this season because he couldn't ask for 2 better mentors in McHale and Hakeem.

Also just to touch on the Jordans a dick and Kareem's a dick nonsense... these are arguable 2 of the greatest players of all time and well they are going to be asked a lot of questions. The media likes to try to compare Lebron to MJ (though I see no comparison between the 2) and D12 did just leave the lakers and the mentorship of arguably the greatest center of all time so people will ask them questions so any answer they give will be taken with extreme scrutiny.

Honestly Jordan and Kareem open there mouths once or twice a year about other players and they get crucified when they talk about other players (by a handful of fans). I don't think they are dicks for talking about todays current game and players the way I see it these questions are inevitable to be asked to them at sometime or another.

L8kers4life
10-04-2013, 04:51 PM

That's ridiculous, 1/3 of the way through last season many laker fans ageed with this. Why does Kareem go out of his way to say this, because all this crap Dwight is talking to the media is starting to piss off people from the lakers. Magic, kareem and Shaq all agee that Dwight didn't belong in LA, do u honestly believe any of them are jealous he went to the rockets! The answer is no. He never tried to make it work and more and more yu keep hearing from people how much Dwight really sabotaged the lakers season becuase he would not buy in to anything.

FlashBolt
10-04-2013, 04:57 PM

That's ridiculous, 1/3 of the way through last season many laker fans ageed with this. Why does Kareem go out of his way to say this, because all this crap Dwight is talking to the media is starting to piss off people from the lakers. Magic, kareem and Shaq all agee that Dwight didn't belong in LA, do u honestly believe any of them are jealous he went to the rockets! The answer is no. He never tried to make it work and more and more yu keep hearing from people how much Dwight really sabotaged the lakers season becuase he would not buy in to anything.

Those Lakers fans who secretly wanted Howard to come to their team but were also the ones who knew it was going to end up horrible?

beasted86
10-04-2013, 05:01 PM
I love the ESPN spin artists and how she starts it off by saying "According to one Lakers legend Dwight Howard will never have what it takes"....

Um... when did he say that? :shrug:

I agree with Kareem though. He is a very good player and still a superstar, but I don't see a team winning a championship with him as the best player.

jerellh528
10-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Yes kaj is right. I'll admit as a laker fan I really wanted dwight before last year, I watch him in the finals and looked at his stats and a few games here and there, he looked like a beast. But after watching every single lakers game and every single dwight game last season I realized how overrated he was and how skill less he was. It was a pain to watch him fumble every pass reminiscent of kwame brown. He got stripped of the ball it seemed like 50% of his touches and if he couldn't dunk it, he would throw something slightly resembling a layup somewhere towards the vicinity of the basket, then complain. His defense is overrated too. But as terrible his skills are, his athleticism makes him a top C still.

Kevj77
10-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Kareem was very polite and gave an honest analysis. Very athletic, intelligent, charismatic with a low BBIQ and no go to moves on offense.

I didn't think he blasted him.

TrueFan420
10-04-2013, 05:35 PM

Stockton had the same prob as cp3 can't win the big one

RLundi
10-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Kareem was very polite and gave an honest analysis. Very athletic, intelligent, charismatic with a low BBIQ and no go to moves on offense.

I didn't think he blasted him.

He blasted him.

He did the thing where people sandwich a disheartening insult between two compliments. They're sort of pseudo-compliments to be honest.

Either way, I agree: Dwight Howard leaves a lot to be desired offensively.

sammyvine
10-04-2013, 06:55 PM
I thought he was spot on....
Very athletic but lacks what it takes to be a champion. May change but i dont think he will ever win as the guy. He is too limited offensively imo....
Even if houston wins a ring, it will be james harden who is the star of the finals not dwight.

sammyvine
10-04-2013, 06:56 PM
I love the ESPN spin artists and how she starts it off by saying "According to one Lakers legend Dwight Howard will never have what it takes"....

Um... when did he say that? :shrug:

I agree with Kareem though. He is a very good player and still a superstar, but I don't see a team winning a championship with him as the best player.
He was absolutely spot on...it did seem like a bit of sour grapes but then again he was asked about him and answered honestly.
A great franchise like the lakers won miss dwight that much imo..its not like hes lebron gifted.

4milesperday
10-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Their feelings were seriously hurt in Laker land. Just never occurred that someone would pass on them (history and all). Get over it. A guy with a "low IQ" won't lead his team to the finals and btw what KAJ said was a complete insult to Howard's manhood.

5ass
10-04-2013, 07:28 PM
We'll see what dwight can do in houston. He has nothingvto complain about anymore. If he can go back to his dominance with orl we might see multiple chapionships.
Harden and howard will become the best combo in the league imo. Then u have lin, beverley, parsons and asik. All solid role players. Also mchale, hakeem and morey are huge influences. Im happy for dwight honestly. For once he didnt care about looking like a *****, and that makes him more of a man. I read he sent a 3 page question sheet for like 5 teams. He was doing whats best for him, and i cant hate him for that. The rockets are about to take off. If he wins with harden and improves with hakeem and mchale, kareem is goinh to have to eat his words.

ThunderousDemon
10-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Does the pope **** in the woods.

goku
10-04-2013, 07:53 PM
its crazy how the lakers had Howard for 1 season and they are continuing to talk about him when the magic had him for so many yrs and no one in the organization has really mention D12 since he left ......... if the magic can move on why cant the lakers

L8kers4life
10-04-2013, 07:59 PM
We'll see what dwight can do in houston. He has nothingvto complain about anymore. If he can go back to his dominance with orl we might see multiple chapionships.
Harden and howard will become the best combo in the league imo. Then u have lin, beverley, parsons and asik. All solid role players. Also mchale, hakeem and morey are huge influences. Im happy for dwight honestly. For once he didnt care about looking like a *****, and that makes him more of a man. I read he sent a 3 page question sheet for like 5 teams. He was doing whats best for him, and i cant hate him for that. The rockets are about to take off. If he wins with harden and improves with hakeem and mchale, kareem is goinh to have to eat his words.

Keep Dreamin, Dwight is not winning Sh<< in Houston, you as an Orlando fan should no more than anyone. Rockets will be better, but not championship Material, I'm sorry that supporting cast you just mentioned is not something to be proud of. They are solid, but you are giving way too much credit. But, this is still a great post, maybe Dwight will prove me wrong.. Great post, you may end up being correct, for now, I strongly disagree.

L8kers4life
10-04-2013, 08:01 PM
its crazy how the lakers had Howard for 1 season and they are continuing to talk about him when the magic had him for so many yrs and no one in the organization has really mention D12 since he left ......... if the magic can move on why cant the lakers

Maybe because Lakers fans have to listen to Dwight say stupid things like I came to the Rockets because I want to win! That is a slap to the Lakers and all there fans. The Lakers have more Championships in the last 4 years than the Rockets have in there entire existence, to think the Lakers cant win is funny.

Pakman
10-04-2013, 08:04 PM
its crazy how the lakers had Howard for 1 season and they are continuing to talk about him when the magic had him for so many yrs and no one in the organization has really mention D12 since he left ......... if the magic can move on why cant the lakersJust because kareem is an ex Laker doesn't mean the "lakers" havent moved on. If im not mistaken, the lakers had moved on before dwight even made his decision. I also believe Kaj is not apart of the Lakers org At this moment. Nice attempt to.criticize the organization tho

goku
10-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Keep Dreamin, Dwight is not winning Sh<< in Houston, you as an Orlando fan should no more than anyone. Rockets will be better, but not championship Material, I'm sorry that supporting cast you just mentioned is not something to be proud of. They are solid, but you are giving way too much credit. But, this is still a great post, maybe Dwight will prove me wrong.. Great post, you may end up being correct, for now, I strongly disagree.

the rockets are going to be around for a while they had one of the Youngest Rosters in the league the oldest player in the Rotation is Garica and he is just a Role player Parsons, Lin and Harden still improving adding Howard should help them big time plus who knows who they add in the Future possibly another star

5ass
10-04-2013, 08:10 PM

You have ur opinion i have mine. Only time will tell. I've seen what Dwight can do at his best offensively. You're forgetting how impactful of a player he was with the magic. He dominated the paint on both sides alone. He did make some major improvements offensively the last 3 years. At one point he had a reliable bank shot. Orlando had no business being a top 5 defensive team with the supporting cast he had in 2011. If he can give the rockets that elite defense to go along with their efficient offense, they could make the finals. The HEAT arent easy to beat but if theres anyone in this league that causes problems for Lebron James' teams its Dwight.

mike_noodles
He's right. He's not ripping Dwight. He's pointing out the obvious. I think this would have a lot more credibility if it wasn't on a show with Bayless and Smith.

goku
Just because kareem is an ex Laker doesn't mean the "lakers" havent moved on. If im not mistaken, the lakers had moved on before dwight even made his decision. I also believe Kaj is not apart of the Lakers org At this moment. Nice attempt to.criticize the organization tho

Kareem represents the Lakers to me even though he isn't part of the organization and the only time I criticized the lakers when i talked about Jimmy Buss and his horrible decision making not to mention some of yall fans still haven't moved on like magic fans

5ass
10-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Maybe because Lakers fans have to listen to Dwight say stupid things like I came to the Rockets because I want to win! That is a slap to the Lakers and all there fans. The Lakers have more Championships in the last 4 years than the Rockets have in there entire existence, to think the Lakers cant win is funny.

He has a point, their history doesnt matter. The Lakers left him with an injured Kobe, a declining bad fit in pau, and 40 year old Nash, and Mike D'antoni. On the other hand the Rockets are an ideal situation with young players and the right coaching staff.

Bruno
10-04-2013, 08:14 PM
That was Dwight's best season too. The guy looked like Shaq against Clevelands overmatched/injured frontline but every other playoff team was able to play him 1 on 1. Perk shut his happy *** down and then Bynum+Pau did the same. Really lets you know how ****** Clevelands team was when you allow Dwight of all people look like Shaq.

dwight took some things into his own hands in that series too Chronz. He shot 70% from the free throw line, averaging 8 made free throws per game through out the series. Thats a statistical anomaly from dwight and thats a big reason behind him upping his scoring average to the 26 per game he averaged that series.

against boston the previous series he shot 52% on four made free throws per game, and he shot 60% against the Lakers on seven made free throws per game.

he was able to accomplish something special from the foul line in the 2009 ECFs.

John Walls Era
10-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Ok hes right. But Dwights still one of the best big men in the game.

goku
10-04-2013, 08:23 PM
He has a point, their history doesnt matter. The Lakers left him with an injured Kobe, a declining bad fit in pau, and 40 year old Nash, and Mike D'antoni. On the other hand the Rockets are an ideal situation with young players and the right coaching staff.

this right here

Chronz
10-04-2013, 10:02 PM
dwight took some things into his own hands in that series too Chronz. He shot 70% from the free throw line, averaging 8 made free throws per game through out the series. Thats a statistical anomaly from dwight and thats a big reason behind him upping his scoring average to the 26 per game he averaged that series.

against boston the previous series he shot 52% on four made free throws per game, and he shot 60% against the Lakers on seven made free throws per game.

he was able to accomplish something special from the foul line in the 2009 ECFs.
He also shot 65% on 14 attempts in only 37MPG, thats the BIGGEST reason he dominated, all while making Browns frantic adjustments all the more hilarious. This series was the reason they signed Shaq, all year they had defended centers better than anyone, it was a big part of their success, but it was fruitless against Dwight(Bens injury was no small detail). Cleveland couldn't limit his shots or his efficiency. When you have it going like that, you're in a better groove and thus more comfortable from the line. He played like 43MPG vs LA and couldn't muster that many attempts. He did work, but lets not kid ourselves, he had it pretty easy vs Cleveland compared to the other Playoff teams. Their bigs were laughable outclassed.

FlashBolt
10-04-2013, 10:40 PM
While Kareem is 99% correct, I wouldn't say he always is. He believes Oscar is better than James/Jordan; which is false.

5ass
10-04-2013, 10:40 PM

James was still helping out on Howard very often.

Asik's better
10-05-2013, 12:31 AM
He's right. He's not ripping Dwight. He's pointing out the obvious. I think this would have a lot more credibility if it wasn't on a show with Bayless and Smith.

100% agree. Because the moment skip bayless started talking, the first thing that popped in my head was "we'll everything I just heard was a load of crap".

alexander_37
10-05-2013, 02:30 AM
Kareem made himself sound ignorant, saying he needs a go to move but then saying if you take certain things away he has nothing. Dwight never had a good team. He was in L.A for one season with gimmie Bryant, other than that he has never had a #3 let alone #2 player. He took his team to the finals by himself, when has Kobe .... or any Laker done that for that matter.

Kareem is upset Dwight left a sinking L.A ship for a Houston one that's primed for a championship.

Iron24th
10-05-2013, 03:42 AM
Kareem made himself sound ignorant, saying he needs a go to move but then saying if you take certain things away he has nothing. Dwight never had a good team. He was in L.A for one season with gimmie Bryant, other than that he has never had a #3 let alone #2 player. He took his team to the finals by himself, when has Kobe .... or any Laker done that for that matter.

Kareem is upset Dwight left a sinking L.A ship for a Houston one that's primed for a championship.

lol you have no clue, in 2009 orlando got past a week sixers team (4-2), then a KG-less boston team (4-3) and finally an overrated and choking cavs team, with no presence inside (4-2) to finally got beat badly by the only legit team they faced in this playoffs (4-1) in the Finals.

I don't understand why do you see something impressive in this...

Trust me, I was very supportive of Dwight's arrival in LA, but I got disappointed quickly, trust me again, you will soon too.

Let's talk about this in about 4-6 months later and see if you still have faith in him.

PurpleJesus
10-05-2013, 04:02 AM
Retired basketball players are the worst of any sport. Always blasting current players and claiming they wouldnt have what it takes to play in their era.

Pakman
10-05-2013, 04:08 AM

Kareem is upset Dwight left a sinking L.A ship for a Houston one that's primed for a championship.homerrrrrr

PurpleLynch
10-05-2013, 05:01 AM
Kaj said just the truth,unless Howard does what he has to do: practicing on low-post moves and FTs.

PurpleLynch
10-05-2013, 05:04 AM

We'll talk about that when Howard will be hacked and will miss every ****in fts. It will be very frustrating,I assure you.

Teeboy1487
10-05-2013, 07:47 AM
After seeing him play for the Lakers, I was underwhelmed and thought he was vastly overratted. Even his athletic ability was not so impressive anymore. I never cared that he left. Heck, I wanted the Lakers to trade him for a 1st rounder to get their pick back before the trade deadline.

Dwight is a big fish in a very small pond. While he is the best center in this weak era, he hardly compares to the greats. Dwight is too much of a clown to see him winning a championship. He lacks that focus. He's not a type of player that can face adversity. He says he wants to follow Lebron's path. He is far from Lebron. Lebron has that focus and no way in hell Dwight is winning a championship in Lebron's era.

Hopefully Harden is the one that leads that team to a title if they can. Dwight can't win as the man.

ldawg
10-05-2013, 08:26 AM
The nba is watered down that is why Howard is viewed as a great center but he is really not that good skill wise. Not even going with some of the all time greats I would take Morning in his prime over Howard any day of the week. His fundamentals need work. Its not like Kareem is dogging him he is just speaking the truth. Did Hakeem not said the same after working with Howard over the summer calling him very raw? I am sure he was not talking about his running and jumping ability. All I know its very frustrating seeing him shoot free throws. I mean its not my job and I can have a better ft% that this guy.

ldawg
10-05-2013, 08:29 AM
Howard has his strong points but he has some very below average ones too.

RLundi
10-05-2013, 08:44 AM
lol you have no clue, in 2009 orlando got past a week sixers team (4-2), then a KG-less boston team (4-3) and finally an overrated and choking cavs team, with no presence inside (4-2) to finally got beat badly by the only legit team they faced in this playoffs (4-1) in the Finals.

I don't understand why do you see something impressive in this...

Trust me, I was very supportive of Dwight's arrival in LA, but I got disappointed quickly, trust me again, you will soon too.

Let's talk about this in about 4-6 months later and see if you still have faith in him.

Please stop. You can discredit a season or maybe a playoff round but to discount an ENTIRE season and playoff makes you sound like you have an extreme agenda and vendetta against smearing Dwight (what a surprise).

59 wins, closing out games 6 on the road in Philly, closing out game 7 on the road in Boston and nearly seeping the 66-win Cavs is impressive, no matter how you try to slyly negate it. "Beaten badly"? Take off your homer glasses. Every Finals game was close besides one.

You're the one that's clueless.

kdspurman
10-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Dwight's response... Kareem never called him stupid lol. Not sure why he threw that word in there.

"You can't win three Defensive Player of the Year trophies and be stupid. That can't be done," he said, according to the Houston Chronicle. "And I don't think any coach that has ever coached me has said I have a low IQ for basketball.

"Have I done some dumb stuff on the floor? Yes, every player has. Have I done some stupid things in life? Yes, it's life. We make mistakes and learn from them. It is what it is. I think I am very intelligent when it comes to the game of basketball. I have been playing since I was 3 years old. Each year, I get a little smarter.

More here (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9772548/dwight-howard-houston-rockets-responds-kareem-abdul-jabbar-criticism)

alexander_37
10-05-2013, 11:55 AM
All these butt hurt Lakers bandwagoners, have fun being mediocre.

J4KOP99
10-05-2013, 01:08 PM
"I'm not stupid, I swear!"

-If any of you actually LISTENED to what Kareem had to say, I don't think you would consider it "putting Dwight on blast." He brought up the same points most people use when criticizing Dwight's game. They are fair points and I think the majority of basketball fans would agree with his assessment.

-As for Lakers fans still stuck on the Dwight nonsense... first off, Kareem was ASKED this question. It is not as if he decided to go on television just so he could disparage Dwight Howard. Secondly, Kareem has no affiliation with the Lakers right now aside from the fact he used to play on the team. Which brings me to my next point. If Kareem is as jealous a person as some of you say he is, wouldn't you think he would be happy that Dwight is gone? Not upset that he left the Lakers? Why would Kareem want someone around that could possibly steal the spotlight he once had at the C position? Get your stories straight people.

Dwight did what was right for him. You can't get mad at him for that. As a Lakers fan, I think he made a smart decision considering our current roster and future outlook. I wanted Dwight to stay too. But as for criticizing his game, that's fair play and let's be real here... there is plenty to criticize. Kareem hit on most of it.

JasonJohnHorn
10-05-2013, 01:10 PM

Is that the main issue? Does that fact that a person who has ties with the Lakers organization wouldn't publicly call out a player signed with the team make what he is saying any less true.

Look, everybody know that Howard has a weak post game and not jumper. That is true. And there are things that good offensive post players can do against Dwight to score. Sure, Kareem wouldn't be saying that if Dwight was with the Lakers, but does that make it any less true?

And is that the main issue? Isn't the main issue that Dwight offensive game is far below where it needs to be for him to be in the conversation with the great C's of all time. I mean.

For me, on the defensive end, I'd rather have a prime Ben Wallace than Dwight Howard. On the glass, I'd rather can Wallace again. On offense, Dwight is FAR better at pick-and-roll going to the basket, but he doesn't want to do that. At least Wallace knew his limits and didn't expect the teams he played for to make him the first option on offense when he knew he wasn't good enough for that.

I never heard Ben Wallace complain about not getting enough touches after a loss. He was too busy grabbing rebounds and playing defence in an effort to get a "W" too notice that sort of thing.

J4KOP99
10-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Kareem was probably begged not to say anything to hurt Dwight's feelings last year. Hell, D'antoni already admitted that he couldn't play Gasol in the post as much as he wanted to because they didn't want to upset Dwight.

And for those of you who talk out of your ***... I'm guessing you forgot about the times Kareem criticized Bynum WHILE he was on the Lakers?

JeremiahWing
10-05-2013, 01:17 PM
He's absolutely right. People fall in love with Howard's athleticism, which leads him to be the most overrated player of the generation. He doesn't have it upstairs, whether it's his childishness or very low basketball IQ. These things matter a lot, and Kareem is completely justified in pointing that out.

macc
10-05-2013, 01:17 PM

Exactly! The Lakers organization needs to stop bashing Howard every chance they get just because a superstar left their organization. I know it's something they are not used to but they are acting like a jealous Ex gf right now.

JeremiahWing
10-05-2013, 01:20 PM

Elite players make teams great. But he is not an elite player.

alexander_37
10-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Elite players make teams great. But he is not an elite player.

So name one player who has brought their team to the finals by themselves other than Lebron recently.

JeremiahWing
10-05-2013, 01:46 PM
So name one player who has brought their team to the finals by themselves other than Lebron recently.

In an Eastern Conference that could have been taken down by my local high school team? Come on, man. I can tell you love the guy, but be reasonable.

IndiansFan337
10-05-2013, 01:50 PM
No, the hate on Dwight has gone way too far.

I think he's proven that he is not mentally strong, but I wouldn't question his basketball IQ.

goku
10-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Lakers fans still haven't moved on from Howard and continue to bash him "something they wouldn't have done if he had Resigned" I actually hope he has a good season for this exact reason so

Bruno
10-05-2013, 02:39 PM
He also shot 65% on 14 attempts in only 37MPG, thats the BIGGEST reason he dominated, all while making Browns frantic adjustments all the more hilarious. This series was the reason they signed Shaq, all year they had defended centers better than anyone, it was a big part of their success, but it was fruitless against Dwight(Bens injury was no small detail). Cleveland couldn't limit his shots or his efficiency. When you have it going like that, you're in a better groove and thus more comfortable from the line. He played like 43MPG vs LA and couldn't muster that many attempts. He did work, but lets not kid ourselves, he had it pretty easy vs Cleveland compared to the other Playoff teams. Their bigs were laughable outclassed.

what i dont understand is how the Cavs finished so high in regular season defensive ranking, only to collapse defensively against Orlando; they just didn't match up well against them. He also ripped up Boston and Phili from a FG% perspective in the first two rounds. LAL not only got him to shoot a poor FG%, but they limited his FGA; I'm pretty sure he took only six shots in two of those five finals games.

this is 95% wrong.

Dwight's response... Kareem never called him stupid lol. Not sure why he threw that word in there.

More here (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9772548/dwight-howard-houston-rockets-responds-kareem-abdul-jabbar-criticism)
dwight just displayed his IQ, no? the bulk of KAJs message went over his head.

Rashard Lewis and Jameer Nelson were both selected to the 2009 all-star game, and hedo had a respectable WS/48 for a third banana. you're revising history.

No, the hate on Dwight has gone way too far.

I think he's proven that he is not mentally strong, but I wouldn't question his basketball IQ.
i wouldn't question it on defense. but he doesn't get it offensively. I see no issue with criticizing his offensive IQ. He's stubborn and unwilling to run pick and roll (even if at the detriment of his own team success), he refuses to hold the ball high on the block (the main reason why his shoulders gave out last year) he doesn't have a go to move and he's not a particularly good passer off the block. why should he get credit for having a high offensive IQ when considering all those aspects? KAJ is for sure correct in analyzing his offense.

Federal Reserve
10-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Kareem had one move. Howard is already on pace to be a better center than Kareem "One move" Jabbar.

Pakman
10-05-2013, 02:52 PM
All these butt hurt Lakers bandwagoners, have fun being mediocre.Like the rockets have been for many years? The funny thing is you actually believe the rockets have a legitimate chance to win a championship this year. Just like the lakers, not a chance in hell.

Bruno
10-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Kareem had one move. Howard is already on pace to be a better center than Kareem "One move" Jabbar.
eh, i'm sure you can do better.

Bruno
10-05-2013, 04:54 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9772548/dwight-howard-houston-rockets-responds-kareem-abdul-jabbar-criticism

Dwight Howard says he's not a stupid player, despite Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's criticism, and he doesn't know why the legend cares anyway.

"Dwight is an extraordinary athlete and has incredible athletic ability, but basketball is a game where the most important muscle that you use on the court is the one between your ears," Abdul-Jabbar said on ESPN's "First Take" Thursday. "Dwight's basketball IQ is not up to speed for him to be a dominant player."

Abbott: Despite Flaws, Howard Holds Value
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is correct: Dwight Howard has weaknesses. But the Hall of Famer overlooks all the great things Howard has done throughout his nine-year career, writes Henry Abbott. Blog

• ESPN.com's TrueHoop

Howard, who signed with the Rockets this offseason after a disappointing stint with the Lakers, fired back.

"You can't win three Defensive Player of the Year trophies and be stupid. That can't be done," he said, according to the Houston Chronicle. "And I don't think any coach that has ever coached me has said I have a low IQ for basketball.

"Have I done some dumb stuff on the floor? Yes, every player has. Have I done some stupid things in life? Yes, it's life. We make mistakes and learn from them. It is what it is. I think I am very intelligent when it comes to the game of basketball. I have been playing since I was 3 years old. Each year, I get a little smarter.

"People will have something to say. Is what it is. I'm in (Houston) now. This city has my back and we are going to ride together."

Howard is a seven-time All-Star who has averaged 18.3 points, 12.9 rebounds and 2.2 blocks in his nine-year career, all but one of the years with Orlando. He's made one appearance in the Finals, losing to the Lakers in 2008-09.

Abdul-Jabbar averaged 24.6 points, 11.2 rebounds and 2.6 blocks in a 20-year Hall of Fame career that included six championships. Howard was thought to be the next great Lakers center, but injuries and inconsistency led to Los Angeles losing in the first round of the playoffs.

"When I joined the Lakers I was the greatest center. When I left, I was the worst," Howard said, according to the Chronicle. "Mentally, I wasn't capable of playing center. I understand a lot of things are said out of emotion. I will say if he has anything to say, I am here in Houston. We can talk man to man. That's how I feel."

Howard said he had one conversation with Abdul-Jabbar in Los Angeles and asked that they don't talk about basketball.

"There is no need for me to go back and forth with him," Howard said. "One thing I would say is that he is old enough to where whatever I do shouldn't even matter. He is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. If I'm Kareem, I'm like why? Four championships, five championships, whatever. I've been in Airplane and done movies with Bruce Lee. I am not worried about the young whippersnapper.

"I wish him good luck. People do things different and when I am done playing, I will do what I can to help the younger generations."

:laugh:

Sadds The Gr8
10-05-2013, 05:15 PM

:laugh:

Chronz
10-05-2013, 05:27 PM
what i dont understand is how the Cavs finished so high in regular season defensive ranking, only to collapse defensively against Orlando;
Try not laughing but its because Ben Wallace (even at that advanced age) was tremendously vital to their defensive success. He broke his leg or something midway through the year and never recovered. And its not so much because of his 1 on 1 defense, which was still pretty good for someone who rarely received help, its because he understood Brown's defensive principles and knew where to be at all times.

The loss of Ben Wallace doesn't sound damaging, especially if you feel rebounding isn't all that important, but on a team that didn't boast much talent, its a bigger blow than it would be if he were on a team like Bron has now. For Cleveland tho, their offense wasn't the problem, what they desperately needed was his defense.

He also ripped up Boston and Phili from a FG% perspective in the first two rounds.
He tore Philly up but even they were able to get away with more 1 on 1 coverage, which limited Orlando's 3pt attack (shooting only 34%). But Philly was outmatched, so much so that Orlando actually closed out the series without Dwight ever playing a single minute.

As for Boston, he utterly sucked. FG% is useless without considering usage and without understanding how he was played. Celtics without KG were able to limit him to 105 ORTG on a lower usage than he put up in the RS. He was both less efficient and less prolific against primarily 1 on 1 defense. Its no wonder that series went 7.

LAL not only got him to shoot a poor FG%, but they limited his FGA; I'm pretty sure he took only six shots in two of those five finals games.
Im sure Boston could have as well if KG was healthy, just for crowding purposes. Perk was the best defender on him 1 on 1, LA could trap him with their twin towers more effectively than any other team. How many players could have done what Pau did that series, he bodied up Dwight AND defended Rashard on the perimeter better than any other big could have.

Iron24th
10-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Please stop. You can discredit a season or maybe a playoff round but to discount an ENTIRE season and playoff makes you sound like you have an extreme agenda and vendetta against smearing Dwight (what a surprise).

59 wins, closing out games 6 on the road in Philly, closing out game 7 on the road in Boston and nearly seeping the 66-win Cavs is impressive, no matter how you try to slyly negate it. "Beaten badly"? Take off your homer glasses. Every Finals game was close besides one.

You're the one that's clueless.

No matter how you try to make it impressive, you failed badly.

All these butt hurt Lakers bandwagoners, have fun being mediocre.

Like you were since 18 years???
Lol it will never happen, we can't suck two decades like you (and still counting).

RLundi
10-06-2013, 10:14 PM
No matter how you try to make it impressive, you failed badly.

Like you were since 18 years???
Lol it will never happen, we can't suck two decades like you (and still counting).

Clever retort. The level of butthurtness you're displaying is near-embarrassing.

JordansBulls
10-10-2013, 12:22 AM
Kareem has been blasting everyone lately.

rex.reyesiii
10-10-2013, 04:13 AM
This is how is reacting though http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/dwight_howard_can_dance_sing_fly_with_rockets/14747987

:D