PDA

View Full Version : Blake Griffin: "Lob City Is Done"

Clippersfan86
10-03-2013, 10:48 AM
"Lob City doesn't exist anymore. Lob City is done," Griffin told ESPN's Shelley Smith in an interview at the Clippers media day on Monday. "We're moving on and we're going to find our identity during training camp and that will be our new city. No more Lob City."

"Our offense is going to have a totally different look this year," said Griffin, who added that he'd done a lot of work in the offseason on his face-up game from 10-15 feet away from the basket. "Our offense is going to have a lot of movement and floor spacing. I'm looking forward to it."

"People will still wear T-shirts," Griffin said. "I can't really go to people's house and take their T-shirts and cut them up. But we have a new identity as a team and that's going to be what we work out during training camp."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9762854/blake-griffin-doc-rivers-arrival-los-angeles-clippers-spells-end-lob-city

I'm hearing Blake's jumper and defense have taken a pretty big leap this summer. His first full summer of his career and he purely focused on faceup game and defense.

Sly Guy
10-03-2013, 11:16 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. This kind of change is badly needed in LA, but talk is cheap. Show me you're more about winning than showtime.

Snakeyestx
10-03-2013, 11:27 AM
I feel like they'll lose a part of their exciting identity with this move. Sure, it was excessive, and it should still show up from time to time on a wide-open look or a great defensive stop, but don't completely write it off - it's what put you back on the map and made you relevant to the eyes of the league. :(

mjt20mik
10-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Doc will do wonders for that team. I don't think people understand how bad Del Negro was.

sammyvine
10-03-2013, 11:29 AM
the clippers always talk smack and how they are going to do this and that, yet when playoffs comes they are 1st/2nd round exits.

i bet it will happen this year again

sammyvine
10-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Doc will do wonders for that team. I don't think people understand how bad Del Negro was.

doc rivers is overrated. he really isnt that a good coach. great motivator but the likes of pop, thibs, carlise, are all better especially tactically.

beasted86
10-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Jordan hit 38% of his FTs, so eliminating Lob City and allowing teams to put him on the line when guarding him 1 on 1 in the post or fouling him as he catches a regular dish and gathers to finish hurts the Clippers. Griffin was pretty putrid from 10ft+ jump shooting. If these guys suddenly learned to shoot in only 1 summer, they would have all my respect. Until then talk is cheap.

NYKnickFanatic
10-03-2013, 11:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PjBPm3y9c0

Clippersfan86
10-03-2013, 11:45 AM

They really don't. Already a night and day difference in game plan coming out of training camp.

SugeKnight
10-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Clippers are gonna be tough this year. The addition of Doc and shooters like Reddick and Dudley (both underrated defensively) makes the legit contenders. Should be a fun race in the Pacific between them and the Warriors!

SugeKnight
10-03-2013, 11:51 AM
It's good to hear Blake say that though. He is the second best PF in the game right now and he's only getting better. Dude went from overrated to underrated. If he can hit the 15 footer consistently and tighten up that footwork (which is still pretty awful) he will be unguardable. No PF in the league could guard him except Lebron

ManningToTyree
10-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Blake with consistent face up game is a scary thought for the rest of the league. If teams are forced to put a hand in his face from 15 feet out he could seriously dominate on that end of the floor. There is also no reason he shouldn't be at least an average defender given his strength and athleticism. He just has to put the work in.

How Doc transforms this team is definitely one of the more intriguing story lines of the season. Will he be able to push them over the top or do they remain a very good, but not good enough playoff team?

The roster is good enough imo to reach the finals. Perhaps a more traditional, ball movement oriented offense is just what the Doc (pun super intended) ordered. I'm sure Rivers will be able to get them to commit defensively.

0nekhmer
10-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Good to hear, but he's still got that amare awkward footwork going on.

Sadds The Gr8
10-03-2013, 12:14 PM
That's not what held them back but oh well...

Clippersfan86
10-03-2013, 12:18 PM
That's not what held them back but oh well...

Their playstyle was a big part of it. Playing a ton of iso ball and flashy basketball while lacking in so many basic fundamentals was a huge issue and almost all of it came from Vinny. Doc is instilling fundamentals from day one and this makes me so freaking happy. The last 3 years under Vinny... I felt tortured. I could see SO many errors without logic or reason, yet the guy stuck around.

The team will still dunk as much as anybody but their mindset and their identity won't be flashy dunks anymore. It will be rooted in defense, ball movement and overall fundamentals. Doc has REALLY brought everybody on this team down to earth it sounds like. He told CP3 "You haven't done jack in this league" straight up. He told DJ to stop pouting when he doesn't get the ball and that great defenders are ALWAYS playing great defense. He told Blake he needs a shot.

Sadds The Gr8
10-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Their playstyle was a big part of it. Playing a ton of iso ball and flashy basketball while lacking in so many basic fundamentals was a huge issue and almost all of it came from Vinny. Doc is instilling fundamentals from day one and this makes me so freaking happy. The last 3 years under Vinny... I felt tortured. I could see SO many errors without logic or reason, yet the guy stuck around.

The team will still dunk as much as anybody but their mindset and their identity won't be flashy dunks anymore. It will be rooted in defense, ball movement and overall fundamentals. Doc has REALLY brought everybody on this team down to earth it sounds like. He told CP3 "You haven't done jack in this league" straight up. He told DJ to stop pouting when he doesn't get the ball and that great defenders are ALWAYS playing great defense. He told Blake he needs a shot.

I doubt VDN was pushing Deandre and Griffin to do windmills and tomahawk dunks on people. Don't think he's that shallow.

Clippersfan86
10-03-2013, 12:27 PM
I doubt VDN was pushing Deandre and Griffin to do windmills and tomahawk dunks on people. Don't think he's that shallow.

The iso-ball and lack of fundamental teachings was Vinny, which leads to things like always going for the highlight dunks instead of making smart, fundamental plays. Obviously doing the windmills isn't what I'm talking about. You can play fundamental basketball and still have nice dunks.

I'm more saying... "Lob City" to me is about them going for the fancy play that lacks fundamentals, not the actual dunks themselves. It's good to see them basically say "We don't give a sh** about fancy dunks, we want to play defense".

Chronz
10-03-2013, 12:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PjBPm3y9c0

That was a year ago. Still like that he would go to Melo for his post/face up attack. He actually used that move last year too.

http://youtu.be/I5O0cc0I0vk?t=3m15s

One of the few times he actually made that shot, I honestly cant recall the other situation.

Chronz
10-03-2013, 12:40 PM
And I cosign with the whole, Offense was never our problem. Playing fundamentally, whatever that means, better not hurt us on that end unless its because we shored up our defense big time, thats all Im saying.

Clippersfan86
10-03-2013, 01:09 PM
And I cosign with the whole, Offense was never our problem. Playing fundamentally, whatever that means, better not hurt us on that end unless its because we shored up our defense big time, thats all Im saying.

5. At the Red Bull Midnight Run, you said that it’s the end of “Lob City.” What do you expect to see instead?

"I think our main approach and identity is going to be playing defensively. Everything that our coaches have talked about has been all about defense. Transition defense. Defending a three. When you come into the season with that as your main area of improvement, it kind of changes your focus. It’s not so much geared towards the up-and-down and run-and-gun."

Blake clarifying in an interview with Redbull. Pretty much what I explained above it sounds like.

pd1dish
10-03-2013, 01:27 PM
5. At the Red Bull Midnight Run, you said that itís the end of ďLob City.Ē What do you expect to see instead?

"I think our main approach and identity is going to be playing defensively. Everything that our coaches have talked about has been all about defense. Transition defense. Defending a three. When you come into the season with that as your main area of improvement, it kind of changes your focus. Itís not so much geared towards the up-and-down and run-and-gun."

Blake clarifying in an interview with Redbull. Pretty much what I explained above it sounds like.

that makes sense. i could see that their fast paced offense may have taken away from the defense. i mean, running up and down the court like that is tiring and i know when i played ball, if i put a lot of effort into offense, effort was being taken away on defense. you have to sort of find that middle ground to where you dont put forth too much energy on offense or else you will get be gassed on defense.

FlashBolt
10-03-2013, 02:07 PM
I believe it. You can bet Doc will not have that nonsense running around his team. Doc knows how to coach and he knows lobs are nothing but antics.

Chronz
10-03-2013, 02:53 PM
5. At the Red Bull Midnight Run, you said that it’s the end of “Lob City.” What do you expect to see instead?

"I think our main approach and identity is going to be playing defensively. Everything that our coaches have talked about has been all about defense. Transition defense. Defending a three. When you come into the season with that as your main area of improvement, it kind of changes your focus. It’s not so much geared towards the up-and-down and run-and-gun."

Im not making the connection. Offense wasn't our problem, Im glad hes focused more on defense but I dont buy that it was never a focus. Maybe it wasn't for him, but thats more of an indictment on him. Vinny did change up his system from 1 year to the next so its not like they didn't prepare for anything different.

Again, if hes saying they will sacrifice abit on Offense for the sake of a huge improvement defensively, then I will take it, but you were using terms like iso-ball and lack of fundamentals, I dont see that anywhere in his statement.

I have a feeling hes talking about a staple in Doc's defensive system, his teams NEVER crash the offensive glass, instead opting to get back in transition. I was wondering if he would do that even though we have superior athletes than Boston did but it appears to be the case.

Clippersfan86
10-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Im not making the connection. Offense wasn't our problem, Im glad hes focused more on defense but I dont buy that it was never a focus. Maybe it wasn't for him, but thats more of an indictment on him. Vinny did change up his system from 1 year to the next so its not like they didn't prepare for anything different.

Again, if hes saying they will sacrifice abit on Offense for the sake of a huge improvement defensively, then I will take it, but you were using terms like iso-ball and lack of fundamentals, I dont see that anywhere in his statement.

I have a feeling hes talking about a staple in Doc's defensive system, his teams NEVER crash the offensive glass, instead opting to get back in transition. I was wondering if he would do that even though we have superior athletes than Boston did but it appears to be the case.

I think your mentality is connected on the basketball court on both ends. You don't remember our players talking about racking up steals on purpose to generate those highlight plays on offense? Because multiple players said it. I'm not saying offense is a problem but saying in general offense or defense... they are taking a more fundamental approach and focusing on more important things, which I think is needed.

Chronz
10-03-2013, 03:18 PM
I think your mentality is connected on the basketball court on both ends.
Only if you make it so. Its quite possible to be a 2-way player who places importance on both.

You don't remember our players talking about racking up steals on purpose to generate those highlight plays on offense? Because multiple players said it. I'm not saying offense is a problem but saying in general offense or defense... they are taking a more fundamental approach and focusing on more important things, which I think is needed.
Yea that has nothing to do with what I was saying.

Clippersfan86
10-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Only if you make it so. Its quite possible to be a 2-way player who places importance on both.

Yea that has nothing to do with what I was saying.

I guess I'm confused then.

Chronz
10-03-2013, 03:29 PM
We both are. I have no idea what our defense will look like but Im all for scrapping the blitz oriented style we had last year. Good passing teams tore that apart

Clippersfan86
10-03-2013, 03:35 PM
We both are. I have no idea what our defense will look like but Im all for scrapping the blitz oriented style we had last year. Good passing teams tore that apart

Yup. Teams that pass well+shoot great like SA/GS really demolished us. I was so happy to hear some of Doc's quotes the last couple scrimmages. Have you read them?

1. He said DJ needs to stop pouting when he doesn't get touches on offense and put 110 percent into defense. Said a truly good defender doesn't just not play defense when he feels like it, but always does.

2. He said he noticed last years team got exposed badly in transition defense and 3 point defense and that the first 3 hour practice Tuesday was spent purely on those two things. Blake said they didn't do a single offensive thing.

5ass
10-03-2013, 03:36 PM
I hope he doesnt slow the game too much though, jordan and blakes ability to run is an asset.

Clippersfan86
10-03-2013, 03:38 PM
I hope he doesnt slow the game too much though, jordan and blakes ability to run is an asset.

Doc said they didn't run enough last year and he's pushing the tempo a lot. So I don't think it means lowered tempo. It's all about the mindset/identity for them I think.

PowerHouse
10-03-2013, 03:38 PM
"Lob City doesn't exist anymore. Lob City is done," Griffin told ESPN's Shelley Smith in an interview at the Clippers media day on Monday. "We're moving on and we're going to find our identity during training camp and that will be our new city. No more Lob City."

"Our offense is going to have a totally different look this year," said Griffin, who added that he'd done a lot of work in the offseason on his face-up game from 10-15 feet away from the basket. "Our offense is going to have a lot of movement and floor spacing. I'm looking forward to it."

"People will still wear T-shirts," Griffin said. "I can't really go to people's house and take their T-shirts and cut them up. But we have a new identity as a team and that's going to be what we work out during training camp."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9762854/blake-griffin-doc-rivers-arrival-los-angeles-clippers-spells-end-lob-city

I'm hearing Blake's jumper and defense have taken a pretty big leap this summer. His first full summer of his career and he purely focused on faceup game and defense.

Sure Blake. Lob city is done. And on the very first lob you dunk the announcers will be saying it all over again.

Chronz
10-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Doc said they didn't run enough last year and he's pushing the tempo a lot. So I don't think it means lowered tempo. It's all about the mindset/identity for them I think.

I think you might be right, CP3 rarely plays in that kind of offense, which makes this kind of statement by ESPN so ridiculous.

The uptempo, exciting style of play the Clippers have become known for since point guard Chris Paul joined Griffin and fellow high-flyer DeAndre Jordan in 2011 has already been de-emphasized.

LOL We've never been uptempo, just a team that wants their bigs to run in case they have early opportunities.

Clippersfan86
10-03-2013, 04:01 PM
For sure. Doc wants less walking up the floor and more easy buckets but not a Run N Gun style. I hope to see less of our bigs pouting or arguing with refs while not running to the other end.

SPURSFAN1
10-03-2013, 05:21 PM
For sure. Doc wants less walking up the floor and more easy buckets but not a Run N Gun style. I hope to see less of our bigs pouting or arguing with refs while not running to the other end.

Clippers aren't a half court team. lol. There's only so much plastic surgery can do.

Chronz
10-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Clippers aren't a half court team. lol. There's only so much plastic surgery can do.
Then why have we been among the slowest paced teams in the league?

What are you basing this opinion on? Do you have any objective evidence to back this or just highlights?

mike_noodles
10-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Like he can make the nickname go away.

kylem4711
10-03-2013, 06:10 PM
the clippers always talk smack and how they are going to do this and that, yet when playoffs comes they are 1st/2nd round exits.

i bet it will happen this year again

you do realize that only 4 teams move past the second round right? that would be considered an extremely successful season to most teams.

Clippersfan86
10-03-2013, 06:15 PM

Eh not so sure about that. Especially with the additions of Redick, Dudley and a shot for Griffin. CP3 has always been a halfcourt player. We shall see soon enough.

John Walls Era
10-03-2013, 06:49 PM
so Clippers are done? What he is saying is dumb. THey can do all those things + still run a high tempo offense.

John Walls Era
10-03-2013, 06:51 PM

Theres only positives in the offseason. I heard that Dwights post game was going to be amazing for 7 years now.

I Rock Shaqs
10-03-2013, 07:46 PM

Woah! When did you start making threads about Blake Griffin and the Clippers?

Clippersfan86
10-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Theres only positives in the offseason. I heard that Dwights post game was going to be amazing for 7 years now.

Which is more believable? A 4th year player who already had an underrated, average shot and defense last year making a jump... or a 10th year player who's never shown much pure skill from the post suddenly getting it? I don't think this logic is very fair or accurate. Unlike Dwight claims... this is being witnessed by teammates and coaches, not just positive talk.

kobe4thewinbang
10-03-2013, 08:49 PM
If they're finally going to become a serious basketball team, good. But I hope they don't try to deny the athleticism of their players because it could be argued that the best of Rivers' Celtics teams didn't have enough athleticism and stuck to half-court basketball. So a good combination of the two is what they should do. Hopefully the defense will improve too.

jerellh528
10-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Blake is underrated, I'll say it.

IversonIsKrazy
10-04-2013, 12:30 AM
Doc over Negro was their biggest change. VDN is a HORRIBLE coach. Doc may be overrated, but even he is a HUGE upgrade over VDN. Not only that though, everyone will be a lot more focused b/c of this change. I def c Clips being diff this year.

MrfadeawayJB
10-04-2013, 01:42 PM
If Lob City is done where does this leave Deandre Jordan? Blake can develop some shooting (he shown slight improvement in this area) but Jordan can do nothing but dunk and block shots. If you take away his dunking, he wouldnt be in the league

Clippersfan86
10-04-2013, 01:50 PM
If Lob City is done where does this leave Deandre Jordan? Blake can develop some shooting (he shown slight improvement in this area) but Jordan can do nothing but dunk and block shots. If you take away his dunking, he wouldnt be in the league

The goal of Doc seems to be to completely take away DJ from worrying about scoring and focusing purely on D+R. Which is smart. Unless DJ has a wide open lob or dunk, he has no business scoring.

MrfadeawayJB
10-04-2013, 02:00 PM
The goal of Doc seems to be to completely take away DJ from worrying about scoring and focusing purely on D+R. Which is smart. Unless DJ has a wide open lob or dunk, he has no business scoring.

exactly. If i was doc i would just tell DJ worry about defense. The only offense he needs to worry about is his horrendous ft shooting. Way too often VDN had to take him out and hurt the team a bit defensively in order to put in Hollins or whoever could hit a ft.

Clippersfan86
10-04-2013, 02:03 PM
exactly. If i was doc i would just tell DJ worry about defense. The only offense he needs to worry about is his horrendous ft shooting. Way too often VDN had to take him out and hurt the team a bit defensively in order to put in Hollins or whoever could hit a ft.

Yup. Teams started purposely hacking the fu** out of DJ because they knew he would be taken out. What that did is allowed teams to make us weaker defensively and on the glass AND get DJ mentally out of the game. It pissed me off but it's all on DJ. You don't want to get hacked? Start making free throws. Teams don't hack Blake anymore.

tp13baby
10-04-2013, 02:22 PM
A little off topic, but they weren't even the top dunking team so how could you ever be named Lob City. Its like saying Philly is the city of brotherly love when we all know its far from that.

Clippersfan86
10-04-2013, 02:27 PM
A little off topic, but they weren't even the top dunking team so how could you ever be named Lob City. Its like saying Philly is the city of brotherly love when we all know its far from that.

This is wrong. Clippers had the most lobs of any team in the league, 2 more than the Nuggets and like 50 more than the Knicks. Griffin led the league in dunks, DJ was 3rd or 4th. They just showed all of this on NBA TV in the last hour. Maybe not team dunks but in terms of lobs, they led.